justaguy

Andre Drummond 2019-2020 Outlook

Dre was on a lot of winning teams with the way he finished the season last year. High durability, gaudy d-stats, monster boards and high fg% with only a small hit on TOs. FT% wasnt sub 40%, which hes known to do in the past. Potentially a contract year since he can opt out and make serious cash next summer. Top 10 pick in my opinion- would love to get him between 12-15

17/16/1.3/1.5/2 on 58% FG% and 63% FT. (I know the projection for FT% is high given his history but it looks like he has been working on his stroke this offseason)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, justaguy said:

Dre was on a lot of winning teams with the way he finished the season last year. High durability, gaudy d-stats, monster boards and high fg% with only a small hit on TOs. FT% wasnt sub 40%, which hes known to do in the past. Potentially a contract year since he can opt out and make serious cash next summer. Top 10 pick in my opinion- would love to get him between 12-15

17/16/1.3/1.5/2 on 58% FG% and 63% FT. (I know the projection for FT% is high given his history but it looks like he has been working on his stroke this offseason)

Yeah, hard not to like Drummond's game in fantasy. Monster boards, high FG%, stocks, decent amount of points. Would average probably 4 assists a game too if Blake weren't there. I love him and have loved him for a while now. Was always a better fantasy player than real life player, and still is, but with his improving defense in real life, that gap has closed. People still talk down on him IRL but he is much better than he was 2-3 years ago. As long as he stays focused and motivated, he will put up huge numbers for Detroit and our fantasy teams. Plus, he is playing for a big new deal. If he balls out, he opts out for a huge deal. Buy buy buy.

• Like 1

seeing he,Gobert and Vuc  going right around each other in mocks

How would people rank them?

9 minutes ago, Quazza said:

H2H: I prefer Stifle, no injury history, better playoff schedule.  Then Drummond, then vuc. 

Roto: I prefer vuc, more well rounded, less negative FT impact.  Stifle second.  Drummond third.  

All of them I’d start taking around 13-15 in any format.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Quazza said:

I only do H2H 9-Cat , and I'd go Dre, Gobert then Vuc. Dre's boards and steals far outrank Gobert. And Gobert just doesn't outpace Dre in blocks by enough to make up for what you're losing in other cats. 

Also, Drummond has been an Iron man for the past 6 years: 81, 82, 81, 81, 78, and 79 GP. I'm not concerned about any injuries that happened 7 years ago 

I know alot of people are buying into Vuc this year, but I'm not sure if he'll produce again like that this year. 

Edited by justaguy
  • Like 1

I’ll amend my answer for H2H: it depends on who I selected the first round.  If I picked someone such as Giannis then I’d take Drummond.  Drummond has worse FT impact than Stifle but is better in punt FT so if I was certain I couldn’t repair my FT then I’d pick Drummond.  Also, if you’re hard punting FT then you typically are able to overdraft blocks while steals are more scarce so Drummond is more valuable.  Whereas, if I picked someone like Harden, Curry, or Lillard first then I’d pick Stifle.  His FT impact is less damaging and his playoff schedule is better. Both of them are equally durable.  Vuc is third in head to head.  

If if it’s roto I keep my answer: vuc, stifle, Drummond. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

I’ll amend my answer for H2H: it depends on who I selected the first round.  If I picked someone such as Giannis then I’d take Drummond.  Drummond has worse FT impact than Stifle but is better in punt FT so if I was certain I couldn’t repair my FT then I’d pick Drummond.  Also, if you’re hard punting FT then you typically are able to overdraft blocks while steals are more scarce so Drummond is more valuable.  Whereas, if I picked someone like Harden, Curry, or Lillard first then I’d pick Stifle.  His FT impact is less damaging and his playoff schedule is better. Both of them are equally durable.  Vuc is third in head to head.  

Team build is an important consideration. Better to include context than discuss in a vacuum 

Edit:

Though, I wouldn't say both are equally durable. Gobert has a pattern of playing sub-65 games every other season since he entered the league: 45,82,61,81,56, 81. If you believe in that pattern, then he's due for a serious hit to his GP this year (not saying I subscribe to that superstitious belief, but the pattern is undeniable and certainly makes him less durable than Drummond).

It's a good problem to have to pick between the two in the 2nd round; but more times than not I'd take Dre.

(I enjoy punting FT% anyway- you can get stat stuffers like Ben Simmons and Russ at a bargain if you do)

Edited by justaguy

5 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

Are those three guys ahead of Turner, Embiid, and Capela for you ?

1 hour ago, GrandGourou said:

I'd take Embiid ahead of them all without blinking 

(Understand that the injury risk of course ) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GrandGourou said:

My current (it could change during preseason) rank is: Embiid, Drummond, Gobert, Vucevic, Capela, Turner.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GrandGourou said:

That’s an odd question bc Embiid is a consensus top 10 pick.  Turner is around 25.  Capela around 30.  Drummond, Stifle, Vuc are a run of bigs in the early second, 13-15. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

That’s an odd question bc Embiid is a consensus top 10 pick.  Turner is around 25.  Capela around 30.  Drummond, Stifle, Vuc are a run of bigs in the early second, 13-15. 

Don't know if Embiid will get some random rest this year. But last season he was 17th in total rank. Drummond was 14, Gobert 12, Jokic 8, and Vuc 6...

Edited by GrandGourou

3 minutes ago, GrandGourou said:

Don't know if Embiid will get some random rest this year. But last season he was 17th in total rank. Drummond was 14, Gobert 12, Jokic 8, and Vuc 6...

I hear you.  But people significantly overdraft Embiid so if you take him around his totals ranking then you have 0% chance of drafting him.  

On 8/26/2019 at 10:54 AM, GrandGourou said:

I owned Jokic, Vucevic, and Drummond lol not surprised I won

On 8/26/2019 at 1:54 PM, GrandGourou said:

On 8/26/2019 at 1:58 PM, StifleTower2 said:

I hear you.  But people significantly overdraft Embiid so if you take him around his totals ranking then you have 0% chance of drafting him.  

Drummond's valuation is an interesting thought exercise for me, and I say this because I was just in a mock where I saw Andre Drummond picked at #10 overall.

Of course my immediate reaction was skepticism and surprise. But looking at the other players available at pick 10 I can see the argument for it:

-Embiid & Kyrie are perennially injured

-Beal could be traded/rested down the stretch or not live up to his peak

-PG13 could miss the first 6 weeks of the season AND possibly be on the Kawhi rest plan

-Kawhi might as well be injured, he's missing double-digit games even without an injury

-Gobert will have a decrease in touches so his value may go down slightly

-As discussed, Drummond is an iron man who gets a great boost to his value when you commit to punting FTs

Recognizing that, this guy just decided to get his punt FT strat started early and drafted Drummond in the late 1st. He's already a target in the early 2nd anyway, and so he ends up with Drummond with his first and Gobert with his second. Maybe he could've also gone with Trae with the 2nd pick, but either way with a late 1st-round draft position that's a solid start.

Given the players available at pick 10 I can't fault him. I honestly don't like the options after ~pick 7 either, so I'm still thinking about if in H2H Drummond becomes a "safe" option there despite the fact he's never really close to that value in 9-cat rankings outside of punts.

Edited by s-kayos
  • Like 2

On 8/25/2019 at 7:09 PM, Quazza said:

I rank them very highly.  In a punt ft build, they are both top 6 with the usual suspects of AD, Harden, Giannis, and PG being the only players ahead of them

I've been mocking drafts with taking them back to back, which leaves a hole at scoring and threes.  Then taking Hield/Russell/Conley or whoever to get you the 20+ points and 2+ threes.  Then brook lopez/covington.  It's a nasty build, just have to make sure you don't punt threes or steals accidentally.  A punt ft/assist team works wonders with taking Drummond/Gobert back to back

• Like 1

Earliest

11 minutes ago, s-kayos said:

Drummond's valuation is an interesting thought exercise for me, and I say this because I was just in a mock where I saw Andre Drummond picked at #10 overall.

Of course my immediate reaction was skepticism and surprise. But looking at the other players available at pick 10 I can see the argument for it:

-Embiid & Kyrie are perennially injured

-Beal could be traded/rested down the stretch

-PG13 could miss the first 6 weeks of the season AND possibly be on the Kawhi rest plan

-Kawhi might as well be injured, he's missing double-digit games even without an injury

-Gobert will have a decrease in touches so his value may go down slightly

-As discussed, Drummond is an iron man who gets a boost to his value when you commit to punting FTs

Recognizing that, this guy just decided to get his punt FT strat started early and drafted Drummond in the late 1st, who is already a target in the early 2nd anyway, and ends up with Drummond with his first and Gobert with his second. Maybe he could've also gone with Trae with the 2nd pick, but either way with a late 1st-round draft position that's a solid start.

Given the players available at pick 10 I can't fault him. I honestly don't like the options after ~pick 7 either, so I'm still thinking about if in H2H Drummond becomes a "safe" option there despite the fact he's never close to that value in 9-cat rankings outside of punts.

Earliest I'd daft Drummond is at 9. I cant in good conscious draft him before Lebron and Embiid, even though I'm his biggest fan. If I'm picking 9 through 12, I'm going with Dre in a heartbeat. I did some mocks where I did some variation of:

Round 1 - Drummond

Round 2 - Gobert

Round 3 - Porzingis/Ayton/Collins

Round 4.) Heild/Markannen/Lavine/Conley 

Round 5.) Lowry/Bledsoe

Round 6.) BroLo/Gallinari 

The rest of my picks were aimed at shoring up 3s, steals and assists. Outside of picking #1, I was most happy with my Drummond-Gobert punt FT build 

Edited by justaguy
  • Like 1

Drummond + Gobert punt ft build is so much fun

Immediately get 30 rebounds, 4 blocks, and 2 steals with 60%fg right off the bat.  Then only have to worry about a few other categories for a while.  Gives you a roadmap to success.  Brook Lopez is almost a necessary player in that build

• Like 1

I've found punt FT/points is the easiest to pull off.  Draymond is fairly cheap this year and is perfect for the build.  Punting points opens up more players than perhaps any other punt.

I have this team in a $200 early draft I did:

G: Lowry, Teague, Smart

F: Otto, Draymond, Ingles

C...Gobert, Capela, MitchRob, Adams

Actually I think Adams is clutch in this build, steals from the C position.  I know this is a Drummond thread, but similar concept, just replace Gobert with Drummond. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

I've found punt FT/points is the easiest to pull off.  Draymond is fairly cheap this year and is perfect for the build.  Punting points opens up more players than perhaps any other punt.

Actually I think Adams is clutch in this build, steals from the C position.  I know this is a Drummond thread, but similar concept, just replace Gobert with Drummond. 

BBM has this team basically unbeatable in the following cats: FG, reb, stocks, TO.  Also very good in assists.  That's six cats right there.  It's H2H so that's all you need.

23 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

BBM has this team basically unbeatable in the following cats: FG, reb, stocks, TO.  Also very good in assists.  That's six cats right there.  It's H2H so that's all you need.

How many teams? Thats an interesting build.

2 minutes ago, FantasyBallFan said:

How many teams? Thats an interesting build.

Standard 12 team, 9 cat, H2H.  I had a s---y draft position so I decided to trade out of it and punt points/ft.  Basically I don't have any firsts but I have two 3,4,5

Edited by StifleTower2

1 hour ago, justaguy said:

Earliest

Earliest I'd daft Drummond is at 9. I cant in good conscious draft him before Lebron and Embiid, even though I'm his biggest fan. If I'm picking 9 through 12, I'm going with Dre in a heartbeat. I did some mocks where I did some variation of:

Round 1 - Drummond

Round 2 - Gobert

Round 3 - Porzingis/Ayton/Collins

Round 4.) Heild/Markannen/Lavine/Conley 

Round 5.) Lowry/Bledsoe

Round 6.) BroLo/Gallinari 

The rest of my picks were aimed at shoring up 3s, steals and assists. Outside of picking #1, I was most happy with my Drummond-Gobert punt FT build 

hmmm Im at 12 in my main league this year (9 cat, 12 team, H2H) and this is quite an intriguing idea. Drum 12, Gob 13 - straight off the bat you'd be dominant in Boards, FG, Blocks and quite ok in steals

interesting

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fantasyscrub said:

Drummond + Gobert punt ft build is so much fun

Immediately get 30 rebounds, 4 blocks, and 2 steals with 60%fg right off the bat.  Then only have to worry about a few other categories for a while.  Gives you a roadmap to success.  Brook Lopez is almost a necessary player in that build

4 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

I'm doing the same thing right now lol punt FT and points...started with Drummond / Gobert / Covington / Draymond / Lowry / Horford.  It really does flip the draft board so much in your favor.  You have the #2 and #3 rated players in this build lol, and conversely everyone's early picks are doo-doo.  In this build my lowest rated player is Lowry at 43.  Snake draft so a bunch of dudes got sniped - i.e. bro-lo, etc but I have some cheap 3's/blocks bargain bin players in mind for end of draft. 

Edited by hipriest69
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, hipriest69 said:

I'm doing the same thing right now lol punt FT and points...started with Drummond / Gobert / Covington / Draymond / Lowry / Horford.  It really does flip the draft board so much in your favor.  You have the #2 and #3 rated players in this build lol, and conversely everyone's early picks are doo-doo.  In this build my lowest rated player is Lowry at 43.  Snake draft so a bunch of dudes got sniped - i.e. bro-lo, etc but I have some cheap 3's/blocks bargain bin players in mind for end of draft. 

Just added Nance in the 7th round and Danny Green in the 8th.  In this build Nance was #33 last year and Green was #68.  I have to feel like I have the best team so far and will finish top 2.  That's 6 players in the top 33, Lowry 41, Green 68.  That's like having 7 picks in the first 41.