Sign in to follow this  
Backdoor Slider

Card Collecting

Saw some discussion in the Bo Bichette Thread about his rookie card and wondering if anyone here collects.

Ive got a bunch of HoF rookie cards (Pedro, Randy, Chipper) that are barely worth anything. They were all over-produced. But I’ve recently got back into it with my son. Some great products out there. Have a couple Hiura autographs and a Lucas Giolito rookie auto. 

Anyone else collecting? Any favorites? 

I've thought about getting into it as I have a young boy that may be interested as he grows (he's still a toddler). But like you said, seemed it got so over-produced and watered down. I guess I'd need to research to find out how to find the valuable ones and get some autographed. I'd love to have an Acuña signed rookie.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 5:53 PM, Members_Only_76 said:

I've thought about getting into it as I have a young boy that may be interested as he grows (he's still a toddler). But like you said, seemed it got so over-produced and watered down. I guess I'd need to research to find out how to find the valuable ones and get some autographed. I'd love to have an Acuña signed rookie.

I have since picked up a Mookie rookie auto and a Soto auto. If interested and have any questions (there’s a ton to learn these days), shoot me a DM. I do most of my baseball card buying on twitter these days. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2020 at 12:37 AM, pokolo said:

i used to collect Pokemon lol

If you have any, some of them appear to be worth money!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

@Backdoor Slider what do you think of the 2020 Topps Heritage release? Anything worth collecting?

or @Backdoor Slider just go with Series 1?

thinking of getting a 2020 jumbo pack. 

also what do you think of the Gypsy Queen and Archives Signature cards?

Edited by Members_Only_76

8 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

or @Backdoor Slider just go with Series 1?

thinking of getting a 2020 jumbo pack. 

also what do you think of the Gypsy Queen and Archives Signature cards?

Answered most of this in DM (for any others reading), but I’d stay away from Gypsy Queen. Doesn’t hold a ton of value. Topps Series 1 probably the way to go.

Buy rookies and short prints (color/numbered).

Archives Signatures a cool product but I’ve seen a lot of busts. Just buy the card you want.

Jumbo would be fun to open if kid is of age. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2019 at 4:28 PM, Backdoor Slider said:

Saw some discussion in the Bo Bichette Thread about his rookie card and wondering if anyone here collects.

Ive got a bunch of HoF rookie cards (Pedro, Randy, Chipper) that are barely worth anything. They were all over-produced. But I’ve recently got back into it with my son. Some great products out there. Have a couple Hiura autographs and a Lucas Giolito rookie auto. 

Anyone else collecting? Any favorites? 

If any grade out PSA 10 you may have a few bucks there. 

I was heavily into collecting for years. Really faded out around the time I was graduating high school (~2005ish). The way the card market got just made me sad, memorabilia or autos just jammed in everywhere. The cool inserts and what not really didn't mean much anymore. It seems to have gotten better, though. 

I'm a fan of Bowman and Topps Chrome. Paper bowman or bowman chrome. Some of the subsets like Platinum or Sterling etc are ok, Sapphire too, but I prefer the plain jane chrome. 

Heritage is a super nice set. My favorite card I ever owned was from Heritage, a Willie Mays Heritage Auto Red Ink #'d/52. Was an error card, wasn't #'d like it should have been, topps offered to buy it back (sent me an official letter/offer for it). I posted it on eBay with the letter from tops and got about $750 for it. 

Playoff had a "piece of the game" series with different series (bat, jersey, bat + jersey, gold, silver, etc) and I have 5 of the 10 Lance Berkman bat/jersey gold combos #'d/10. I was trying to get all 10 at one point. Haven't looked for them in years. I have a ton of Berkman autos still. 

I got back into cards for a minute, a couple of years ago Harpers bowman autos were way down. I was buying them for like 140-150 each. Speculating he'd turn his career "around" and did, ended up selling them for about 25 each (had about 20-25 of them). Haven't done much with cards since. 

19 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

If any grade out PSA 10 you may have a few bucks there. 

I was heavily into collecting for years. Really faded out around the time I was graduating high school (~2005ish). The way the card market got just made me sad, memorabilia or autos just jammed in everywhere. The cool inserts and what not really didn't mean much anymore. It seems to have gotten better, though. 

I'm a fan of Bowman and Topps Chrome. Paper bowman or bowman chrome. Some of the subsets like Platinum or Sterling etc are ok, Sapphire too, but I prefer the plain jane chrome. 

Heritage is a super nice set. My favorite card I ever owned was from Heritage, a Willie Mays Heritage Auto Red Ink #'d/52. Was an error card, wasn't #'d like it should have been, topps offered to buy it back (sent me an official letter/offer for it). I posted it on eBay with the letter from tops and got about $750 for it. 

Playoff had a "piece of the game" series with different series (bat, jersey, bat + jersey, gold, silver, etc) and I have 5 of the 10 Lance Berkman bat/jersey gold combos #'d/10. I was trying to get all 10 at one point. Haven't looked for them in years. I have a ton of Berkman autos still. 

I got back into cards for a minute, a couple of years ago Harpers bowman autos were way down. I was buying them for like 140-150 each. Speculating he'd turn his career "around" and did, ended up selling them for about 25 each (had about 20-25 of them). Haven't done much with cards since. 

Have since ramped up my collection a bit. Have a lot of Soto and Acuña. 
The card game is weird, and I definitely wouldn’t do it to try to make loads of cash. The Trout cards have held great value, but a lot of other stars don’t. The demand for what’s hot drives the prices.  
There are also worries of another “bubble.” Not like the over production in the 80s and 90s, but bad nonetheless. Part of the key to value is getting the numbered cards, even over the autos sometimes. Because they’re limited, it keeps a certain amount of demand.