smeeze

2019 Survivor Pool Thread

So, we're all agreed it's Dallas this week and no need to post any other comments for another week, right?

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, jonasdash said:

So, we're all agreed it's Dallas this week and no need to post any other comments for another week, right?

Pretty much. I'm taking them in all 3 of my pools just like I took the Patriots in all 3 pools. There are a few juicy matchups in week 4 but none as clear as this week's Patriots pick and next week's Dallas pick. Week 4 is when I will have some actual decisions to make. 

So far my plan of simply picking whomever plays NYG has worked out and it’s been quite comfortable both weeks.

Next week at Tampa is a bit risky but it might be the only time all year Id even lean bucs. 

Some other contrarian picks for next week.

49ers hosting banged up steelers

Seahawks for those that didn’t use week 1 against possibly bridgewater led saints. 

Edited by Nyblazer11235

Love all those people that tried to play cute week 2 and pick a team like the Steelers or Panthers. Patriots were the play vs Mia. 

This week is Dallas.

• Like 1

Brees is out 6 weeks with thumb surgery. Might be a good window to play one of their opponents (Sea, Dal, TB, Jax, Chi, AZ). Maybe Seattle or Dallas or Chicago.

Just now, Eddie Mush said:

Brees is out 6 weeks with thumb surgery. Might be a good window to play one of their opponents (Sea, Dal, TB, Jax, Chi, AZ). Maybe Seattle or Dallas or Chicago.

Bridgewater is a solid backup, and they still have a lot of talent on that squad.  They won’t be an elite team without Brees, but I doubt they’ll be a pushover.  There are games I like better on the slate over the next few weeks... Cowboys are obviously the play next week vs Miami.

12 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

Pretty much. I'm taking them in all 3 of my pools just like I took the Patriots in all 3 pools. There are a few juicy matchups in week 4 but none as clear as this week's Patriots pick and next week's Dallas pick. Week 4 is when I will have some actual decisions to make. 

Do you take future weeks into consideration?  I'm not using Dallas for week 3 because I plan on using them for week 9.  

37 minutes ago, wekko368 said:

Do you take future weeks into consideration?  I'm not using Dallas for week 3 because I plan on using them for week 9.  

And if you're out before that? All for naught. Go for the gimmes and worry about the rest when you make it there.

1 minute ago, Eddie Mush said:

And if you're out before that? All for naught. Go for the gimmes and worry about the rest when you make it there.

Yeah, planning out your picks in advance is a fool’s errand. For all you know Dak and Zeke could be unavailable that game.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wekko368 said:

This is a fair point... Week 9 is tough.

I had been looking at the Steelers (home v. Colts) and the Panthers (home v. Titans), but both of those no longer appear to be good options.

I usually don’t start looking too far ahead until Week 4 or 5, but it’s not a bad idea to be discussing Week 9 now, as it isn’t that far away, and it appears to be the worst slate all year.

Just now, SkinsChargersFan said:

This is a fair point... Week 9 is tough.

I had been looking at the Steelers (home v. Colts) and the Panthers (home v. Titans), but both of those no longer appear to be good options.

I usually don’t start looking too far ahead until Week 4 or 5, but it’s not a bad idea to be discussing Week 9 now, as it isn’t that far away, and it appears to be the worst slate all year.

I'm guessing most people will take the Jets, but I'm saving them for week 14 which is another tough week.

3 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Yeah, planning out your picks in advance is a fool’s errand. For all you know Dak and Zeke could be unavailable that game.

Planning picks may be a fool's errand, but it's a much better strategy than hoping for injuries to help you out.

16 minutes ago, wekko368 said:

I'm guessing most people will take the Jets, but I'm saving them for week 14 which is another tough week.

The only thing about saving the Cowboys for Week 9 is that while the Giants look terrible now, it's still a road division game (breaking both rules of Survivor), and I think the chances are good that Daniel Jones takes over by then.

If he’s as good as he looked in the preseason, it might not be such a gimme for Dallas.

I’m definitely going to use the Cowboys for at least one of my entries this week, but I’ll consider diversifying for the other.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Apologies, I don’t usually laugh when people get survivor picks wrong, but I’m sorry, I hate the Steelers. Never pick your team. And yes, injury or not, Ben is done. 

The Steelers suuuuuuuck.

I didnt think ben would get hurt of course. Almost beat them with our back up. Lol. Oh well, down to my last survivor pool. Seattle against bridgewater looks nice. 

Dallas is picked in 70% of Yahoo pools this week. I don’t see why you’d pick any other team this week. Bills look like like a good pick but why use them now when they play Miami twice?

37 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Dallas is picked in 70% of Yahoo pools this week. I don’t see why you’d pick any other team this week. Bills look like like a good pick but why use them now when they play Miami twice?

There are several options if you want to be contrarian, or have multiple entries and want to diversify with one.

Dallas & NE are as close to locks as you can ever get.

Then you have (in my order of preference): 

1) Minnesota v. Oakland

2) Green Bay v. Denver

3) San Francisco v. Pitt

The only contrarian play I’m actually considering is the Vikings because I have 2 entries in my big pool.  Will likely either go Cowboys in both or Minnesota in one.  I’m saving New England since a lot of people in my pool burned them last week.

Dallas is the safe pick.

49ers, Tampa and Chicago are the riskier picks that could pay off huge later.

Edited by Evincar

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:45 PM, daethfromabove1979 said:

I get that, but it's the same is your goal just to survive one week and not get knocked out or is it to put yourself in a better position to win it all?  Dallas is a strong team.  If you're going to burn them like 70% of the pool will, then you won't have them later to use as an advantage.  Now is the time to take a chance on some of the teams mentioned above - Tampa, Green Bay, Minn, Chicago, Niners.  Playing the contrarian route is the only way to win.  If just picking the team playing Miami is the key, obviously if Miami goes 0-16 then there's going to be a lot of pools tied for the playoffs.  I guess you can't use NE twice, so there would have to be some pivots made at some point.

5 hours ago, CooL said:

I get that, but it's the same is your goal just to survive one week and not get knocked out or is it to put yourself in a better position to win it all?  Dallas is a strong team.  If you're going to burn them like 70% of the pool will, then you won't have them later to use as an advantage.  Now is the time to take a chance on some of the teams mentioned above - Tampa, Green Bay, Minn, Chicago, Niners.  Playing the contrarian route is the only way to win.  If just picking the team playing Miami is the key, obviously if Miami goes 0-16 then there's going to be a lot of pools tied for the playoffs.  I guess you can't use NE twice, so there would have to be some pivots made at some point.

While this is a fair point, so too is the fact that things change. This is clearly evident after this week as Brees and Ben went down. So I can’t fault people for going the safe route.

I was all aboard the bucs before the change to jones. Now I’d rather not risk it nor the niners. First time starters are a wildcard I like to avoid. Look at what Minshew almost did last week

3 hours ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

While this is a fair point, so too is the fact that things change. This is clearly evident after this week as Brees and Ben went down. So I can’t fault people for going the safe route.

I was all aboard the bucs before the change to jones. Now I’d rather not risk it nor the niners. First time starters are a wildcard I like to avoid. Look at what Minshew almost did last week

I agree, things can change a lot in a few weeks. The most important thing is that you survive. Miami are the Browns of this year, people will pick any team that plays against them and most of the time they are right. Of course you can pick different team then Dallas, but if you look at their roster, when will you confidently pick them again? Week 17 against WAS? Besides that being a divisional game, by then they could already have clinched a playoff spot and might not start their starters.

I got cute last week and took the Bears, when I knew the Pats were the pick, not doing that again.  Def cowboys.

DAL or NE this week for me. I'm going with DAL, just based on their future games feel like there's really only a few "gimmes" for them.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Idoolittle said:

DAL or NE this week for me. I'm going with DAL, just based on their future games feel like there's really only a few "gimmes" for them.

Yeah, either this week, or week 6@NYJ, but Darnold should be back by then, so it's not as much of a sure thing. I really don't like picking divisional games. I also hate Dallas, so I'd like to get this one out of the way, lol.

Broncos@Packers also seems like a reasonable pick this week.

Edited by EaglesRocker97