s-kayos

Mikal Bridges 2019-2020 Outlook

Mikal Bridges played 29.5 mpg last season (and 33 mpg in the last two months), and averaged 8 pts 3 reb 1.5 stl 0.5 blk and 1.3 threes in his inaugural NBA season. He finished at rank #102 with those numbers last season, per BBM. 

If you remember, he was a T10 pick and one of his biggest strengths was his strong shooting finish in college. I believe he's a better shooter than the 33.5% from three he was last year. Heck, he shot 90%+ from the free throw line his sophomore season, that's usually a good sign for prospects' shooting development,

He was also the only Sun to play all 82 games iirc. One of his weaknesses as a college prospect was actually the fact that he took a step back on defense and his frame might not allow him to guard the best 3s/4s. Now that we know he's got the chops to defend at an NBA level, the shooting should come along. I heard he adjusted his mechanics in his rookie off-season so that may have contributed to the poor shooting, but I think he's a good bet to improve. 

He gets compared to Khris Middleton & Otto Porter (who have both been T30 fantasy players at one time) and Trevor Ariza. His skills, statset, and comps give me hope that Mikal is a potential sleeper if he can make strides on offense.

The problematic thing I see is the Suns actually still have a bit of depth at the SF/PF positions even with TJ Warren gone. Kelly Oubre, Dario Saric, lottery pick Cameron Johnson, and even Frank Kaminsky apparently.

I honestly think that the Suns need Mikal's defense so I'd bet he gets 25+ mins, but does the depth at those positions limit his upside? Or can he still breakout?

Edited by s-kayos
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, apatas said:

Miles Bridges is certain TOP100 pick. But Mikal? How many minutes he gets? 20?

Depth could definitely limit his upside. BUT I'm hopeful

Worth nothing though that even if the competition last year wasn't elite, there was a rotating carousel of forwards who got minutes last  season and everyone (except 1) is gone:

-TJ Warren (43 games, 32 mpg, 36 starts)

-Oubre (40 games, 29.5 mpg, 12 starts - compare to Mikal at 82 games, 29.5 mpg, 56 starts)

-Josh Jackson (79 games, 25 mpg, 29 starts)

-Dragan Bender + Ryan Anderson (61 combined games, 18.3 mpg, 35 starts)

-Richuan Holmes (70 games, 17 mpg)

-Acy + Spalding combined (23 games, 11.5 mpg)

I think it's interesting from that data that once Warren was out, Mikal was getting a lot of starts, and even with Oubre matching his minutes Mikal still dwarfed him in his ratio of started games. A good sign given Oubre is probably his biggest competition for minutes aside from Saric, and even if you slot in Dario at 30 mpg and Oubre at 30 mpg, there's still room for those minutes Josh Jackson took up last season (79 games at 25 mpg).

Given the team probably needs his defense (Suns are awful at it, and Ayton/Booker don't help and Saric is not great at it either), and they have great offense in Ayton/Booker, I wouldn't be surprised if Mikal starts some nights and they bring either Oubre or Dario off the bench. Either way, I think their closing/crunch time unit will feature Oubre/Mikal heavily over Oubre/Saric. 

tl;dr I think 25+ mpg are there even if Mikal doesn't start

Edited by s-kayos
  • Thanks 1

MIKAL Bridges closed the season strong despite competition. Now he has much less. He's the Suns lockdown defender on the wing and he generates a lot of steals. Plus despite his rookie shooting, in college he showed good form and a faster release than Klay Thompson. He will be good and he will be good this season. 

He was top 70 in total value last season. If he can get 28-32 minutes you should see the same output with a decent chance of improvement. 

14 hours ago, Spyplane said:

He's the Suns lockdown defender on the wing. 

As I understood, Kelly Oubre is also good defender? How they split time?

I don't think Bridges only plays the 3, he can also play the 2 in certain lineups. And in small ball Oubre can play the 4. It's not that Oubre takes 32, so there is 16 mins left.

7 hours ago, apatas said:

As I understood, Kelly Oubre is also good defender? How they split time?

Bridges was getting 29MPG with Oubre there, along with TJ Warren and Josh Jackson there. Jackson and Warren are gone so I put it to you to tell us just who is eating into Bridges' 29MPG this season? If anything his minutes are going up and he's a better defender than Oubre, not that it matters because Bridges can guard four positions. Oh and let's not forget he ranked 97th in Yahoo leagues as a rookie with a log jam of competition at his "official" position. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spyplane said:

Bridges was getting 29MPG with Oubre there, along with TJ Warren and Josh Jackson there. Jackson and Warren are gone so I put it to you to tell us just who is eating into Bridges' 29MPG this season? If anything his minutes are going up and he's a better defender than Oubre, not that it matters because Bridges can guard four positions. Oh and let's not forget he ranked 97th in Yahoo leagues as a rookie with a log jam of competition at his "official" position. 

Bridges is going to get all the minutes he can handle.  2 threes 2 steals is a distinct possibility here.  

21 hours ago, Spyplane said:

Many of the minutes from last season came from Warren and Oubre being injured / shot down. However I agree that there will be available minutes outside of the SF position... Just I see more of them at PF with Saric being far from rock solid starter.

16 hours ago, slmroz said:

Many of the minutes from last season came from Warren and Oubre being injured / shot down. However I agree that there will be available minutes outside of the SF position... Just I see more of them at PF with Saric being far from rock solid starter.

Booker missed a few games as well there. 

24 minutes ago, WhatIsThisWizardry said:

Bridges was my last pick in h2h 12 team. Considering strongly to drop him for Brandon clarke....

This would be a assistant coaches post. 

5 hours ago, WhatIsThisWizardry said:

Bridges was my last pick in h2h 12 team. Considering strongly to drop him for Brandon clarke....

5 hours ago, WhatIsThisWizardry said:

I wasn't asking for help, i was making a statement. 

Sorry that would be a terrible move fyi but to each his/her own

• Like 2

On 10/4/2019 at 4:22 PM, hipriest69 said:

Sorry that would be a terrible move fyi but to each his/her own

didn't end up doing it. but am curious about the situation in memphis. Im not super confident on bridges getting more time than last year either. 

But just as an fyi, I don't know why you're rooting out clarke, he should have solid blocks (avgd 3.2 in college) and good %ages with low TO (i love efficiency) and just finished summer league mvp. also PER > bridges throughout college. theres no reason clarke cant be a winner this year in this young mem team. but sure to each their own. 

Edited by WhatIsThisWizardry

2 hours ago, WhatIsThisWizardry said:

didn't end up doing it. but am curious about the situation in memphis. Im not super confident on bridges getting more time than last year either. 

But just as an fyi, I don't know why you're rooting out clarke, he should have solid blocks (avgd 3.2 in college) and good %ages with low TO (i love efficiency) and just finished summer league mvp. also PER > bridges throughout college. theres no reason clarke cant be a winner this year in this young mem team. but sure to each their own. 

Oh don't you worry, I'm one of Brandon Clarke's biggest fans.  See my posts in his thread.

But Bridges is a top 50 type of player, he's pretty much a lock for top 75 this year, whereas Clarke might not crack top 100.  Bridges has everything you want in fantasy -

1. He has put up top 50 value for stretches despite averaging less than 10 points per game.  That alone should tell you something about his value. 

2. He was a rookie playing limited minutes last year but showed a great ability to chip in rebounds, assists, and blocks, which should all increase this year. 

3. He is elite defensively meaning he will play big minutes.  He is elite in steals and can carry you in that category, which is another reason why I don't chase steals early this year, there's tons of it later on in drafts. 

4.  His 3 point % was below his expected median, and is almost guaranteed to increase, which means more 3's, more points, better FG.

5. They booted Jackson and Warren up out the paint to make room for Bridges, who they invested heavily in on draft day.  He has golden opportunity.  Fck Oubre.  He will play.

6. Bridges is almost universally being picked in the top 100.  Clarke is undrafted in most standard leagues.    

2 hours ago, WhatIsThisWizardry said:

To build on point #6 - if we took a poll of the best fantasy players on this forum 100 out of 100 would take Bridges over Clarke.  

This guy is definitely one of the sleepers.

He can easily go under radar because he hasn't proven as much compared to other available players.

I find his ceiling to be 2 3's / 2 stls / 1 blk

I would gladly pick him up at 7th-8th round.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hipriest69 said:

To build on point #6 - if we took a poll of the best fantasy players on this forum 100 out of 100 would take Bridges over Clarke.  

agreed why u think i picked him up last year adnt his year lol

4 hours ago, a-rob said:

Oubre has wrist injury, will be re-evaluated in 10 days. But bridges also hurt. I think Bridges will be top 5 in steals if he can get 28mpg

He will.😊

18 hours ago, hipriest69 said:

Oh don't you worry, I'm one of Brandon Clarke's biggest fans.  See my posts in his thread.

But Bridges is a top 50 type of player, he's pretty much a lock for top 75 this year, whereas Clarke might not crack top 100.  Bridges has everything you want in fantasy -

1. He has put up top 50 value for stretches despite averaging less than 10 points per game.  That alone should tell you something about his value. 

2. He was a rookie playing limited minutes last year but showed a great ability to chip in rebounds, assists, and blocks, which should all increase this year. 

3. He is elite defensively meaning he will play big minutes.  He is elite in steals and can carry you in that category, which is another reason why I don't chase steals early this year, there's tons of it later on in drafts. 

4.  His 3 point % was below his expected median, and is almost guaranteed to increase, which means more 3's, more points, better FG.

5. They booted Jackson and Warren up out the paint to make room for Bridges, who they invested heavily in on draft day.  He has golden opportunity.  Fck Oubre.  He will play.

6. Bridges is almost universally being picked in the top 100.  Clarke is undrafted in most standard leagues.    

With point 3, who are the other guys you are targeting for steals late? Im thinking after Mikal you only have Smart, Bazegod and who else? Looking for guys who will play a lot as I also believe in getting 3s and steals late. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SicarioSanity said:

With point 3, who are the other guys you are targeting for steals late? Im thinking after Mikal you only have Smart, Bazegod and who else? Looking for guys who will play a lot as I also believe in getting 3s and steals late. 

Would you assume Mikal to play a bigger role in his team than Smart for the Celts? Also, he's not one for treys, but Kyle Anderson might be an option for stocks late in the draft. The minutes look questionable, sadly.

8 minutes ago, brickcitymamba said:

Would you assume Mikal to play a bigger role in his team than Smart for the Celts? Also, he's not one for treys, but Kyle Anderson might be an option for stocks late in the draft. The minutes look questionable, sadly.

Smart is golden for steals, that much is guaranteed even if he only gets 25 mpg. Id be happy to get 1.5 threes from him. 

Love Kyle, but his ugly year last year made me sour on the guy. 

Im thinking Danny Green - should get all the minutes he can handle. Bacon also with all the playing time he is going to get.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SicarioSanity said:

Smart is golden for steals, that much is guaranteed even if he only gets 25 mpg. Id be happy to get 1.5 threes from him. 

Love Kyle, but his ugly year last year made me sour on the guy. 

Im thinking Danny Green - should get all the minutes he can handle. Bacon also with all the playing time he is going to get.

Don’t think Bacon should be considered a steals guy considered he’s never had a history of steals production even in college, but agree with the rest.

Pat Beverley is another name that should be mentioned - a great PG for the last few rounds if one wants to shore up their steals.