mjb03003

A.J. Brown 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, rocket said:

Janoris Jenkins was the # 3 CB by Pro football focus when he got waived by the Giants.  He wasn't waived due to performance so he's got the ability - but how well will he know the defense?  I watched the Ram's first game after the Jalen Ramsey trade, he made a lot of mistakes, but the emotional boost he gave that defense was pretty impactful I got to say.  It's a lot easier for guys to get open in the slot, so I have good confidence in AJ this week, since he's had heavy slot usage even in college.  Corey Davis has an ankle injury, the other slot WR Adam Humphries is injured, that should keep the the passing load tilted toward AJ.  Plus the Saints offense been scoring a lot of points, the Titans are likely to be throwing more than usual. 

Huh?!  Not true at all - he was ranked the 70th overall CB in terms of pass coverage at the time he was cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Huh?!  Not true at all - he was ranked the 70th overall CB in terms of pass coverage at the time he was cut.

My bad, I thought I read he was # 3, in an article.  Maybe it was referring to his play from a couple of years ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rocket said:

OK, got the facts straight, Jenkins was the #7 CB after week 3 till he got cut

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/11/new-york-giants-janoris-jenkins-rips-critics-in-tweetstorm/

Absolutely no idea where you’re getting that notion from the cited article.

 

This should clear things up: https://www.google.com/amp/s/saintlyreport.com/2019/12/13/janoris-jenkins-available-but-saints-should-pass-on-the-declining-cb/amp/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Absolutely no idea where you’re getting that notion from the cited article.

 

This should clear things up: https://www.google.com/amp/s/saintlyreport.com/2019/12/13/janoris-jenkins-available-but-saints-should-pass-on-the-declining-cb/amp/

"Since a Week 3 disaster against Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Mike Evans, Jenkins has been on a tear. In fact, he’s arguably been one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL, with Pro Football Focus data to back it up.

Since week 3, Janoris Jenkins has the 7th best coverage grade in the NFL and has not allowed a touchdown, among CB’s with a min of 350 snaps"

came right out of
https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/11/new-york-giants-janoris-jenkins-rips-critics-in-tweetstorm/

I seen the other articles too already.

Edited by rocket

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, rocket said:

"Since a Week 3 disaster against Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Mike Evans, Jenkins has been on a tear. In fact, he’s arguably been one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL, with Pro Football Focus data to back it up.

Since week 3, Janoris Jenkins has the 7th best coverage grade in the NFL and has not allowed a touchdown, among CB’s with a min of 350 snaps"

I seen the other articles too already.

Still would appreciate a source from which you drew that language.  But I appreciate the clarification - still doesn’t change the fact that PFF has him ranked 70th overall in coverage at his position as of his...departure...from the Giants.  It’s a slight upgrade overall on Apple when you factor in run defense.

PFF gave him a -50 overall rating on his people skills, however.

Edited by BMcP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks - weird, that portion of the article refused to display for me until I opened your most recent link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im very concerned with this match up. I know the talent is there and hes a beast, but which saints and which jenkins shows up? The team that will hold tenn to 13 points or who will collapse and allow a 40 point shootout? Maybe im trying to talk myself off this match up having parker and sanders as options idk. My gut tells me they stack the box and try and stop the run and leave 1v1 match ups like they have all year. I just cant figure out if brown gets the best of NO or they take him away and make tanny rely on davis and humphries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2019 at 11:14 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

Lots of good and valid points here, but AJ does not actually 'line up everywhere' he spends 89% of his time on the perimeter...52% of that to the left side of the formation--which is where Lattimore has stationed himself after coming back from his injury. Which really is the key here imo, the Saints have not used Lattimore to shadow since he came back. We have to assume that will be the case here again, but don't truly know. We also don't know if new acquisition Janoris Jenkins will be replacing the very mediocre Eli Apple as the other perimeter CB...Jenkins can def still play and may be reinvigorated on an actual defense now. I think you follow the recent performance and expected volume and Brown is a pretty rock solid WR2 this week--with upside too.


Piggy-backing off this, I heard his slot snap count from last week, so just thought I’d share.

 

He played 7 snaps last week out of the slot, which was tied for a season high.  
 

Is this a trend that they are trying to move him around more? I’m not sure... I’m more inclined to say it’s just because he’s playing more snaps overall than earlier in the season. But chances are he’ll be on the outside mostly against the Saints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a epic match-up,  with Playoff implications.

 

The Saints with Brees and Thomas trying to break single season records.....And the Red hot Titans, under playoff Phenom Tannehill and Henry.      AJ could have the biggest game of his career. trying to match Brees and Thomas throw for throw.

I expect TN to try and slow the game down, but fail.    Then its lights out in the second half with bombs being thrown by each team.

 

AJ is a must start for me this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Im very concerned with this match up. I know the talent is there and hes a beast, but which saints and which jenkins shows up? The team that will hold tenn to 13 points or who will collapse and allow a 40 point shootout? Maybe im trying to talk myself off this match up having parker and sanders as options idk. My gut tells me they stack the box and try and stop the run and leave 1v1 match ups like they have all year. I just cant figure out if brown gets the best of NO or they take him away and make tanny rely on davis and humphries.

 

Humphries is out. It’ll be Davis and Sharpe.,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lot’s of overthinking going on around here over a Saints D that’s yielded the 5th most fantasy points to WR’s this year. In today’s game, I’ll put my money on a Stud/Physical specimen WR to win a matchup against a good CB every day of the week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting AJ Brown over Perriman, HIlton,and Boyd so do with that info what you will. I'm also starting Sutton over them too. Hoping that talent can overcome match-ups and a s---y QB (for Sutton). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

Lot’s of overthinking going on around here over a Saints D that’s yielded the 5th most fantasy points to WR’s this year. In today’s game, I’ll put my money on a Stud/Physical specimen WR to win a matchup against a good CB every day of the week. 

The problem is most of that production has been yielded to receivers other than those in Lattimore’s shadow coverage.  After a rocky start, he’s either shut down or heavily limited the production of every WR1 he’s shadowed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting cold feet here now that it looks like Henry will be out. Even more attention now in stopping Brown with nobody to account for in the running game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Getting cold feet here now that it looks like Henry will be out. Even more attention now in stopping Brown with nobody to account for in the running 

I'd have a hard time sitting AJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ryedog1987 said:

I'd have a hard time sitting AJ

He just torched two of the worst pass defenses in the game. I feel some recency bias when everyone is overlooking some of the factors going into this game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

He just torched two of the worst pass defenses in the game. I feel some recency bias when everyone is overlooking some of the factors going into this game. 

Saints will be up so titans will be throwing. Lattimore is a beast, but so is AJ Brown. We'll see what happens. I'd rather go down with AJ then some other scrub

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm rolling him out over Landry.  He's going to get Lattimore, but I'm hoping for targets and Tenn moving him around the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dalton Gang said:

How much does Henry being out hurt Brown? Or does he have lots of garbage time stats trying to catch up to the Saints?

 

Really hard to say. But I am expecting some more hurry up with DL in there now. Should create a few more opportunities for AJ.

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dalton Gang said:

How much does Henry being out hurt Brown? Or does he have lots of garbage time stats trying to catch up to the Saints?

 

At this point, I’m inclined to sit Julio and start AJ. Titans gotta win, might be in a shoutout. AJ could potentially get a lot of garbage time @ the end if Saints are up. I can’t trust Julio this year with Gage, Hooper, etc around. 

 

With henry out, even if Saints focus on AJ, I just think he’s gonna score maybe 1-2 TDs. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dalton Gang said:

How much does Henry being out hurt Brown? Or does he have lots of garbage time stats trying to catch up to the Saints?

more targets

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jhomes55 said:

 

At this point, I’m inclined to sit Julio and start AJ. Titans gotta win, might be in a shoutout. AJ could potentially get a lot of garbage time @ the end if Saints are up. I can’t trust Julio this year with Gage, Hooper, etc around. 

 

With henry out, even if Saints focus on AJ, I just think he’s gonna score maybe 1-2 TDs. 

After what Julio did last week you want to sit him? Lol.... sit someone else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jhomes55 said:

 

At this point, I’m inclined to sit Julio and start AJ. Titans gotta win, might be in a shoutout. AJ could potentially get a lot of garbage time @ the end if Saints are up. I can’t trust Julio this year with Gage, Hooper, etc around. 

 

With henry out, even if Saints focus on AJ, I just think he’s gonna score maybe 1-2 TDs. 

ive never even heard of gage and hooper stinks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...