Sign in to follow this  
colepenhagen

Russell Westbrook 2019-2020 Outlook

On 10/28/2019 at 5:45 PM, ginocan said:

His hair supposed to be a spider or something? Terrible looking. 

Anyway, I like how they are staggering him and Harden. I think he will fit in nicely with Houston. 

Halloween costume obviously 

36 minutes ago, ejaggit said:

Beast, is this sustainable?

I can't see why not, it's not like anyone's taking less shots. Harden, Gordon, Tucker, Capela all have almost the same usage as last year.

Man I thought I drafted Russell Westbrook not Kawhi Westbrook 😒 

So if he sits out a back to back on a 3-game game week after barely playing in a blowout the night before, one can probably assume he'll sit out all back to backs for the rest of the season. Hopefully the rockets lose and this load management bs comes to an end but I'm not counting on it. I'm in a points league so these missed games are absolutely killer, gonna have to wait for him to string some good games together and try to trade him for someone who's gonna actually play every game.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Man I thought I drafted Russell Westbrook not Kawhi Westbrook 😒 

So if he sits out a back to back on a 3-game game week after barely playing in a blowout the night before, one can probably assume he'll sit out all back to backs for the rest of the season. Hopefully the rockets lose and this load management bs comes to an end but I'm not counting on it. I'm in a points league so these missed games are absolutely killer, gonna have to wait for him to string some good games together and try to trade him for someone who's gonna actually play every game.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2847718-rockets-daryl-morey-talks-load-management-for-james-harden-russell-westbrook

Westbrook is coming off surgery and was only cleared just before training camp began, so this is expected. Both him and Harden will be load managed, this was known back even in July. 

I’m sure he will still be able to play 70+ games, and depending on how they look coming into playoffs, there might be less of these rest days coming up. 

28 minutes ago, m1dday said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2847718-rockets-daryl-morey-talks-load-management-for-james-harden-russell-westbrook

Westbrook is coming off surgery and was only cleared just before training camp began, so this is expected. Both him and Harden will be load managed, this was known back even in July. 

I’m sure he will still be able to play 70+ games, and depending on how they look coming into playoffs, there might be less of these rest days coming up. 

I wasn't expecting a full 82 by any means but if he isn't playing on a 3 game week after playing only 26 the night before, I can't see how he doesn't sit out all back to backs this year which is a definite no bueno for me. 

On the other hand, if harden sits out the opposite game of each back to back set maybe the bump in usage can slightly make up for it.

16 minutes ago, brickcitymamba said:

I might be asking a dumb question, but is he a bad player for roto because of his percentages?

Yes. For 3 reasons. 

He turns the ball over at a high clip,

His FT% has went down.
His FG% is poor.

• Like 1

He is playing worse and worse each game. I don’t mind him taking one of the b2b game and get back to the game feeling refreshed. You don’t want his knee to be a recurring issue. 

3 minutes ago, csklmf said:

He is playing worse and worse each game. I don’t mind him taking one of the b2b game and get back to the game feeling refreshed. You don’t want his knee to be a recurring issue. 

How is he playing worse each game. All his games before the last one are comparable.

2 minutes ago, yeet said:

How is he playing worse each game. All his games before the last one are comparable.

FG and FT dropped. TO increased. 3pt won’t fall anymore. 

Lmao. He literally had one bad game this season and that was against the 2020 NBA Champion Miami Heat.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brickcitymamba said:

I might be asking a dumb question, but is he a bad player for roto because of his percentages?

Depends on how you use him. I've been doing quite okay in the standings.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, csklmf said:

FG and FT dropped. TO increased. 3pt won’t fall anymore. 

my guy he's played 5 games, that's not enough sample size to determine whether he regressed lol

17 hours ago, yeet said:

my guy he's played 5 games, that's not enough sample size to determine whether he regressed lol

I guess you didn’t watch last season when we all noticed that be shot terrible and his FT% dropped from his previous years, but I digress.

Don't think the Miami game is enough to conclude his fg pct is bound to regress, since the rest of his games this year were proof of concept of how Houston's offense could maximize his efficiency (4 men out sets to open up huge driving lanes and discourage those inefficient point guard post ups, plus an elite passer in Harden to encourage him to move off ball for easy dunks). He reverted to bad habits against Miami, but showed a willingness and enthusiasm to alter his game in the 5 games before that.

Its a small sample size either way, but I think it'd be jumping the gun to say one bad game is enough to throw out all the encouraging signs we saw before that

And I'm punting fg, so I'm not too invested in his efficiency improving either way

That said, his FT problems look here to stay and that 9/10 game might be an aberration. Can only hope he maintains low volume

Edited by blazeh

On 11/5/2019 at 2:30 PM, brickcitymamba said:

Define “bad player”?  Everything is too subjective to make that statement.  It’s all league settings and cost dependent.  I’d consider him top 30 in 9 cat roto and better in H2H.  You know what you’re getting: 20/10/10 with 1.8 steals/1.2 threes.  46% FG, 4/6 from the line, 4 To.  If it’s 8 cat roto he’s basically a first rounder as his counting stats are great, his FG is consistent with other guards, and he’s really only hurting you in FT.  In 9 cat roto you can work around his weaknesses but it’s difficult.  He went for really cheap in most of my leagues this year and on that basis I’d actually say he’s performing above expectation.  FWIW I don’t like him personally but he was cheap in my leagues so I grabbed him in three places.  Two 8 cat roto leagues in which he’s doing great and the other was H2H where he’s also doing great.  So if anything I’d say he’s outperforming my expectations. 

• Like 2

Can he get an SG tag? Harden seems to be the ball handler half the time they play together.

Russell Westbrook headed to locker room Wednesday.

1 minute ago, kane said:

Russell Westbrook headed to locker room Wednesday.

What happened?