Sign in to follow this  
KilloWertz

Sean Murphy 2019 Outlook

Surprised there wasn't a thread for him already.  He's started off his major league career with a few bangs already.  Also is a highly enough regarded prospect for catchers, which is another reason why I'm surprised a thread for him didn't pop up when I searched.

Anyways, an intriguing add for the rest of the season, coming off a huge game last night (3-5 with 2 HRs).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Surprised there wasn't a thread for him already.  He's started off his major league career with a few bangs already.  Also is a highly enough regarded prospect for catchers, which is another reason why I'm surprised a thread for him didn't pop up when I searched.

Anyways, an intriguing add for the rest of the season, coming off a huge game last night (3-5 with 2 HRs).

This is actually coincidental, I was just about to start a thread and saw you made one.

I got to say, I watched some of the game yesterday and I was impressed with Murphy. Firstly, he looks like an athlete. He just looks like a hitter. The power seems very solid  and he doesn't have a lot of swing and miss.  

I think he's a great dynasty buy if a team has this guy as their 2nd catcher and you can steal him away.

I think he's a great choice at catcher next year in redraft. He's not going to be a top 10 catcher in ADP (although he might make my top 10 ranking), so unless your league is super deep you should get him late. I would LOVE to have this guy as my 2nd catcher in a 2 catcher league, or even 1st if you waited a long time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

This is actually coincidental, I was just about to start a thread and saw you made one.

I got to say, I watched some of the game yesterday and I was impressed with Murphy. Firstly, he looks like an athlete. He just looks like a hitter. The power seems very solid  and he doesn't have a lot of swing and miss.  

I think he's a great dynasty buy if a team has this guy as their 2nd catcher and you can steal him away.

I think he's a great choice at catcher next year in redraft. He's not going to be a top 10 catcher in ADP (although he might make my top 10 ranking), so unless your league is super deep you should get him late. I would LOVE to have this guy as my 2nd catcher in a 2 catcher league, or even 1st if you waited a long time.  

Ahha! :)

*Points to himself as owning him as his 2nd catcher... in a one catcher keeper league* 

Safe to say he's sitting today?  Looks like he started the last 2 games.

3 hours ago, PittsburghSports said:

Is he a must-start whenever he starts? I also have Christian Vazquez who's hot and cold.

I picked him up to replace Sanchez. I'm happy with him, even if he sits a couple days, i feel like he wont hurt my BA and has solid power potential.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

He is good, I want him in drafts next year

Make sure to have him on all of your lists next season then given the in depth analysis there.  Definitely sold me. 😉

Seriously though, I would definitely eye him for a strategy of waiting until near the end of a draft and then taking a chance on him.  The biggest issue with the current playing time for me is we won't likely get to see if he hits a wall like Will Smith did since he won't have gotten enough ABs before the end of the season, but I'd still take a chance on him regardless.

I'm not sure I'd keep him in a traditional keeper league (non-contracts, etc.) for that reason alone (not enough ABs to judge a slump), but that's what taking him as a late round flier is for.

34 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Make sure to have him on all of your lists next season then given the in depth analysis there.  Definitely sold me. 😉

Seriously though, I would definitely eye him for a strategy of waiting until near the end of a draft and then taking a chance on him.  The biggest issue with the current playing time for me is we won't likely get to see if he hits a wall like Will Smith did since he won't have gotten enough ABs before the end of the season, but I'd still take a chance on him regardless.

I'm not sure I'd keep him in a traditional keeper league (non-contracts, etc.) for that reason alone (not enough ABs to judge a slump), but that's what taking him as a late round flier is for.

I fully expect him to get the lion share of starts next year. I think he will start 4/5 games, unless the A's want to rest him more strategically. There's going to be nobody challenging him for PAs for any other reason than resting him. He's their best catcher offensively and he's a great defender.

11 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Murphy or Will Smith next year?

That's impossible to say. The sample has been too short for both, and even more for Murphy. And what we have seen with Will Smith is how much he's been struggling those last weeks.

12 hours ago, Just_A_PI said:

That's impossible to say. The sample has been too short for both, and even more for Murphy. And what we have seen with Will Smith is how much he's been struggling those last weeks.

That's why the question was asked, haha.  It is difficult, so I'm interested in hearing from those that have any insight to which may have a more sustainable profile.

13 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Murphy or Will Smith next year?

Murphy for me. Both have similar power profiles, but Murphy has the better hit tool by a decent margin. I also think Murphy will cost less, as Smith’s ADP will be inflated based on the 5 weeks this year when he tore the cover off the ball. I suspect the average fantasy owner will remember that part of his season more than the current stretch when he’s been abysmal.

FWIW, Fangraphs has Murphy’s hit tool as 40/55 while Smith’s is 35/40. Both have raw power grades of 55/55.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

That's why the question was asked, haha.  It is difficult, so I'm interested in hearing from those that have any insight to which may have a more sustainable profile.

In this case, I would go for Murphy just because he will probably be easier to get without using a pick too early to draft him as Will Smith is "more fashionable" so more people will focus on Smith over Murphy.

For me, both are "risky". Will Smith clearly showed he was able to be the best catcher for few weeks until to turn as one of the worst catcher. Look at his H/AB those last weeks to see how much he's typically the kind of guy who makes you feel that it's not that bad to play without any catcher than with a catcher like him. This is what Will Smith has been recently while before he was like the King.

In a re-draft league, neither Will Smith nor Murphy are catcher I would pick up as my primary catcher, and by this I mean a catcher I would draft. Better to wait how things evolve and pick one during the season. Just look at Mitch Garver. Draft? No. Top 5 this season? Without any doubt.

• Thanks 1

The juiced ball has made catchers great again. Next year's pool looks deeper than ever on draft day.  I'll post my rankings when the season is over, but I imagine Murphy is going to be top 10 easily.  I think I would rather have him than Smith, but it's close and I have to dig deeper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

The juiced ball has made catchers great again. Next year's pool looks deeper than ever on draft day.  I'll post my rankings when the season is over, but I imagine Murphy is going to be top 10 easily.  I think I would rather have him than Smith, but it's close and I have to dig deeper.

I would take Murphy as well.  He's been the much better overall hitter in the minors this season.  Like I said yesterday, Murphy won't have an opportunity to hit the wall this season, but I think just the simple fact that he has better overall numbers this season in the minors combined with him going berserk like Smith did initially is all I need to see for that choice.

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2019 at 12:37 PM, brockpapersizer said:

I couldn't find a2020 thread for him, is he still looking like a decent hold with the early struggles?