dfstout

Joey Slye 2019 Outlook

3 minutes ago, STEVEfromLA said:

What do you think about the wind this weekend?

It will only help his awesomeness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

It will only help his awesomeness.

For real.  With the wind at his back he should be good for a couple 70 yarders

4 hours ago, STEVEfromLA said:

What do you think about the wind this weekend?

This guy gets routinely disrespected.  I saw one rankings list have him at #24.  That's ridiculous.  I think he's the #1 or 2 kicker in the league based on PPG (taking into account byes).  If his name was Greg Zuerlein, he'd be routinely a top 5 option no matter the opponent.

In any competitive league, you can't drop this guy because you're worried about the wind because in all likelihood you wouldn't get him back.

19 minutes ago, CooL said:

This guy gets routinely disrespected.  I saw one rankings list have him at #24.  That's ridiculous.  I think he's the #1 or 2 kicker in the league based on PPG (taking into account byes).  If his name was Greg Zuerlein, he'd be routinely a top 5 option no matter the opponent.

In any competitive league, you can't drop this guy because you're worried about the wind because in all likelihood you wouldn't get him back.

I think the problem is just how many attempts the 49ers give up. Usually the defense is Stout and 49ers will go down the field and take a lead. To be honest it wouldnt surprise me if this were a 12-6 game and Panthers win 

15-20mph winds, with gusts even greater? No thanks. 
Dropped for Lambo

• Haha 2

I had him once for the Jax game when he choked for two points. He is just like the rest of em

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, UVA_Drew said:

15-20mph winds, with gusts even greater? No thanks. 
Dropped for Lambo

I hope you are kidding. Dropping a top player at the position a day before based on wind conditions?? By kickoff it may be calm

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PackerBacker555 said:

I hope you are kidding. Dropping a top player at the position a day before based on wind conditions?? By kickoff it may be calm

It’s a Kicker, “top player” means less. Check out Lambo, he is a top 5 kicker himself. Not really much of a drop off at all even in ideal conditions. 
20 mph winds, with gusts even greater is a big deal for kickers. 
Slye playing in those sorts of conditions, against one of the best defenses in the NFL...while Lambo plays the Jets who are in the top 5 for kicker points allowed. 
Yes, that’s a move I’m good with making.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UVA_Drew said:

It’s a Kicker, “top player” means less. Check out Lambo, he is a top 5 kicker himself. Not really much of a drop off at all even in ideal conditions. 
Slye playing in those sorts of conditions, against one of the best defenses in the NFL...while Lambo plays the Jets who are in the top 5 for kicker points allowed. 

Totally understandable honestly. But if Jax scores three tds you're gonna be boned... Panthers scoring tds is gonna be pretty impossible tomorrow unless McCaffrey goes for 250 yfs.

Slye launches fgs from 50-55 yards which is where his REAL VALUE lies. It's all about the 50 yard attempts that make him one of the more intriguing options. I can’t say that 49ers gonna march up and down the field for tds

45 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Totally understandable honestly. But if Jax scores three tds you're gonna be boned... Panthers scoring tds is gonna be pretty impossible tomorrow unless McCaffrey goes for 250 yfs.

Slye launches fgs from 50-55 yards which is where his REAL VALUE lies. It's all about the 50 yard attempts that make him one of the more intriguing options. I can’t say that 49ers gonna march up and down the field for tds

Sure, you points make sense when you write them out, but the stats don’t back them up. The stats actually prove the opposite. 
Jets allow the 8th most points to kickers, great matchup for Lambo who himself is a top 5 kicker. 
SF allows the 2nd fewest points to kickers this season. 
How many kickers do you see nailing 50+ yarders in 20+mph winds? Most coaches won’t even attempt those. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UVA_Drew said:

Lamborghini is Top 5 only because a couple of dudes had byes already. He’s more like 7 or 8 realistically. Slye will easily take over number 1.

9 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Lamborghini is Top 5 only because a couple of dudes had byes already. He’s more like 7 or 8 realistically. Slye will easily take over number 1.

Right, I corrected it to 8 in my later post. 
But their separation is only 1.5 points per game. 
I’m not trying to argue or convince anyone, just stating my reasons. 

When two top kickers are that close in points per game, and one has a SIGNIFICANTLY worse matchup and game conditions, that’s enough to sway me. 20+mph winds and SF allows the second fewest points to kickers. In additional to their elite defense, they dominate time of possession with that run game. Fewer possessions = fewer scoring opportunities. 
It may not be enough to sway you, and that’s ok too. 

Edited by UVA_Drew
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, UVA_Drew said:

Right, I corrected it to 8 in my later post. 
But their separation is only 1.5 points per game. 
I’m not trying to argue or convince anyone, just stating my reasons. 

When two kickers are that close in points per game, and one has a SIGNIFICANTLY worse matchup and game conditions, that’s enough to sway me. 
It may not be enough to sway you, and that’s ok too. 

No one like your logic and compelling points of wisdom in this thread.  😒

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, UVA_Drew said:

"It's a kicker" would have sufficed. 

Wind looks like now forecast to 24 mph. Not sure how much higher gusts would be. I really don’t know how much 24 mph wind would effect on field kicks. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

When he puts up 20 points today you scaredy cats will be slapping yourselves. 

I'd love to believe that, but with the wind as high as it is, he's going to need a miracle for a good game.

They won't be kicking any field goals or extra points if they're playing catchup all game. Huge bummer.

Wow, what a disaster.  But when the other team scores 51 points, there's not much you can do.  

I guess I liked the fact that he has a big leg and seems to have a lot of 50+ yard opportunities.

But a better strategy to employ might be one that I've seen that is "kicker agnostic" - basically looking for a kicker on a team who is favored, has a high projected point total, stadium (outdoors vs dome), projection for close vs blowout, etc.  Choosing a kicker without any decision on talent but rather situation.

7 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

When he puts up 20 points today you scaredy cats will be slapping yourselves. 

This didn't age well. 🤣 Of course it wasn't the weather that was a problem.

Edited by FitzMagic