brockpapersizer

2020 Breakout Prospects

I second Luis Matos as a potential breakout here. Nice start to his career but hard to gauge plate discipline when he seemingly is crushing everything. Should he meet the challenge this season, he should shoot far up lists.  

• Like 1

Lewin Diaz (1B-MIA) is prob my favorite under-the-radar guy going. He has looked pretty good in ST thus far--14 ABs with a couple XBH and big HR.

Here are a few notes from Klaw's MIA top 20 package, where he checked in at #7--the 6 in front of him were all in top100:

"Diaz was a pudgy, oafish sort of player with the Twins when he was younger, but he has completely changed his body in the last 18 months. Now he’s chiseled, and moving better as a result, with a new stance that lets him make more consistent, hard contact. He hit 27 homers across three clubs last year."

"He only struck out 18 percent of the time, an unusual combination in this era of all-out power hitters who don’t worry about putting the ball in play. He’s also turned himself into an average first baseman with his metamorphosis."

"Diaz looks poised to make a big jump this year between his contact rate, power and new ability to play first. If he doesn’t end up on the top 100 next winter, it could be because he’s the Marlins’ first baseman."

All in all that is pretty positive--esp given that Klaw is a notoriously tough grader on 1B only prospects. With only Jesus Aguilar in the way, I hope we see him this summer.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

in order of how much they BOOM upward:

1. Noelvi Marte - If I had to choose one Minor Leaguer to become the next Mookie Betts, it would be him. 
2. Jarren Duran - sneaky Tooled Up™ athlete with exceptional instincts, feel to hit, and sneaky pop. Sky is the limit. 
3. Jairo Pomares - Shades of a young Ozzie Albies. Dude can play. Dude can hit. 

4. Misael Urbina - really nice overall package. that's what she said. 

5. Hedbert Perez - Loud, hard contact. Toolsy and explosive. Hed-Bert. 
6. Maikol Escotto - a bit of an enigma, but I've seen enough tools to believe in a Noelvi-like rise to prospect prominence 
7. Brandon Williamson - sneaky superb arsenal with recently-increased velo and high-potential offspeed offerings 
8. Jose Devers - overlooked because he (allegedly) lacks power. I love the speed and believe the hit tool will play at the Major League level. A strong "buy" in dynasty leagues everywhere. 
9. Kameron Misner - bold prediction: by the end of 2020, Misner is within 10 spots of JJ Bleday on most prospect lists. 
10. Kevin Made / Jhon Diaz  <-- not massive helium bumps, but the beginnings of some traction. An "engine revvv", if you will. 

Honorable mentions:
Matthew Allan - Has the makings of a fast-riser. Could push top-100 lists by season's end. 
Ethan Hankins - already touted, but I think he goes semi-meteoric
Jake Cronenworth - prediction: makes Padres roster; shows far more offensive polish/upside than expected
Lane Thomas - underrated power/speed combo. nice athleticism.
Shea Langaliers - has some notoriety, but I think the bat is more potent than the industry realizes. He will prove this in short time.

Jerar Luis Encarnacion - The power is legit, as is the athleticism. With a serviceable contact rate, I don't see what's stopping him from being a .250 35+ home run guy.  
EDIT: Luis f***** Matos. Yes, please. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You guys are a wealth of knowledge for digging up deep dynasty prospects. Thanks to all of you, I can actually fill my minor league roster with quality specs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

1. Noelvi Marte - If I had to choose one Minor Leaguer to become the next Mookie Betts, it would be him. 
2. Jarren Duran - sneaky Tooled Up™ athlete with exceptional instincts, feel to hit, and sneaky pop. Sky is the limit. 

6. Maikol Escotto - a bit of an enigma, but I've seen enough tools to believe in a Noelvi-like rise to prospect prominence 
7. Brandon Williamson - sneaky superb arsenal with recently-increased velo and high-potential offspeed offerings 
8. Jose Devers - overlooked because he (allegedly) lacks power. I love the speed and believe the hit tool will play at the Major League level. A strong "buy" in dynasty leagues everywhere. 
9. Kameron Misner - bold prediction: by the end of 2020, Misner is within 10 spots of JJ Bleday on most prospect lists. 
10. Kevin Made / Jhon Diaz  <-- not massive helium bumps, but the beginnings of some traction. An "engine revvv", if you will. 

Honorable mentions:
Matthew Allan - Has the makings of a fast-riser. Could push top-100 lists by season's end. 
Jake Cronenworth - prediction: makes Padres roster; shows far more offensive polish/upside than expected
Shea Langaliers - has some notoriety, but I think the bat is more potent than the industry realizes. He will prove this in short time.

Jerar Luis Encarnacion - The power is legit, as is the athleticism. With a serviceable contact rate, I don't see what's stopping him from being a .250 35+ home run guy.  

Great post, thank you!

20 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

Honorable mentions:

what makes you say Duran has sneaky pop?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

what makes you say Duran has sneaky pop?

56 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Good post @ChicksDigTheOPS, love the non obvious guys you put out there. Personally I think Duran's ceiling is pretty low.

I love the frame, twitch, and athleticism shown here. It's a gut call that he's one of those guys who has the basic tools in place, who will really take off with added strength / the body filling out. There is, of course, the blaring alarm of his modest power stats in the Minors to this point. 

One time, many years ago, I saw a blonde woman in the middle of a grocery aisle in Whole Foods in west LA. She had a beauty and charismatic magnetism that stopped me in my tracks. I honestly started laughing - (a strange instinctual response) - because it was just so much to behold. She took my breath away; it was like time stood still. She may have had middling stats the year before, but in that moment I knew she was a superstar.   

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

29 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I love the frame, twitch, and athleticism shown here. It's a gut call that he's one of those guys who has the basic tools in place, who will really take off with added strength / the body filling out. There is, of course, the blaring alarm of his modest power stats in the Minors to this point. 

One time, many years ago, I saw a blonde woman in the middle of a grocery aisle in Whole Foods in west LA. She had a beauty and charismatic magnetism that stopped me in my tracks. I honestly started laughing - (a strange instinctual response) - because it was just so much to behold. She took my breath away; it was like time stood still. She may have had middling stats the year before, but in that moment I knew she was a superstar.   

Was alcohol involved?

;)

On 3/4/2020 at 7:46 PM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

He's 6'2, 200 lbs and he calls himself "the little guy". David Laurila just interviewed him:

"Bobby Dalbec is the big guy, the home run hitter,” Duran said of his muscular minor-league teammate. “I’m the little guy who gets on for the bigger guys.” When I pointed out that he’s bigger than Mookie Betts, Duran shrugged and deadpanned, “He’s got more power than me.” Asked if power is something he’s hoping to grow into, his response was an equally-shrug-worthy, “If it comes it comes. If it doesn’t it doesn’t.”

• Haha 1

I haven't seen his name on here, but George Kirby is doing his best impression of Chris Paddack.  Elite command (0 walks through 23 IP last year) and a mid-90's fastball with the potential for 3 plus secondary pitches.  I could see this guy moving up quickly if he can improve his other pitches.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2020 at 9:05 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

Lewin Diaz (1B-MIA) is prob my favorite under-the-radar guy going. He has looked pretty good in ST thus far--14 ABs with a couple XBH and big HR.

Here are a few notes from Klaw's MIA top 20 package, where he checked in at #7--the 6 in front of him were all in top100:

"Diaz was a pudgy, oafish sort of player with the Twins when he was younger, but he has completely changed his body in the last 18 months. Now he’s chiseled, and moving better as a result, with a new stance that lets him make more consistent, hard contact. He hit 27 homers across three clubs last year."

"He only struck out 18 percent of the time, an unusual combination in this era of all-out power hitters who don’t worry about putting the ball in play. He’s also turned himself into an average first baseman with his metamorphosis."

"Diaz looks poised to make a big jump this year between his contact rate, power and new ability to play first. If he doesn’t end up on the top 100 next winter, it could be because he’s the Marlins’ first baseman."

All in all that is pretty positive--esp given that Klaw is a notoriously tough grader on 1B only prospects. With only Jesus Aguilar in the way, I hope we see him this summer.

Jumped on him this year in my dynasty draft. I think he will be above average for sure. 

• Like 1

Has anyone mentioned Dodgers prospect Zach McKinstry? Low round draft pick, started to blossom last year, raking in Spring this year. Can play nearly every position.Roberts says wouldn't be surprised to see him get to LA this year, tall words considering how deep that team is. 

Look this  kid up, could be a really useful player down the road. 

• Thanks 2

A few sleeper pitchers in last June's draft that are really catching my attention.  Jackson Rutledge, Blake Walston, Ethan Small, and Antoine Kelly.

On 3/8/2020 at 3:17 PM, kwolf68 said:

Has anyone mentioned Dodgers prospect Zach McKinstry? Low round draft pick, started to blossom last year, raking in Spring this year. Can play nearly every position.Roberts says wouldn't be surprised to see him get to LA this year, tall words considering how deep that team is. 

Look this  kid up, could be a really useful player down the road. 

I think he's a utility guy.  Might be useful in a pinch, maybe has a career year, but I'm not really willing to own him as a dynasty prospect because I think his upside isn't a locked in regular for years, which is what I think we should generally be using our spots on. Sure, at some point in depth he becomes ownable. He's interesting, but Dodgers are deep and I think the ceiling is low.