Corleone

Mason Rudolph 2019 Outlook

From a fight side:

Garrett shouldn't have hit Rudolph with a helmet, it was a ridiculous act and by far and away the worst action of the night.

Rudolph shouldn't have tried to twist Garrett's helmet off, it was obviously much more trivial than Garrett's eventual helmet assault and does not warrant or justify Garrett's reaction in any single way, but it was a bad move by Rudolph and he can't justifiably pretend that he was without any fault.

TL;DR: Garrett's actions were the worst by a significant margin, Rudolph's actions were also bad (though not nearly as bad and don't justify Garrett's actions at all)

From a fantasy side of things:

Rudolph is garbage and has cratered the value of almost every Steelers fantasy player.

Rudolph having to play out the rest of the season is ironically probably worse for the Steelers than the Garrett suspension is to the Browns. 

TL;DR: 

n8mPLkP.jpg

/Thread

Edited by vercrazy
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, jnormy said:

Getting a chuckle out of everyone just assuming the bigger man would eat the other guy for lunch. Sure Garrett's 6-4 272 but Rudolph isn't exactly a small man at 6-5 235. Just 'cause he sucks as a QB doesn't mean he can't handle himself in a fight.

LMAO at this take.  Agree that you can't always predict a fight outcome by size.

But come on.  In this case, you can just look at them and tell.

Unless you're speculating that Mason was going to break out with some martial arts stuff.   Which now that I think about it, would have been great TV.  Seeing Rudolph in a karate stance. 

But anyway, Garrett makes a living pushing around 275+ pound men.   I don't even have to look at their combine numbers to know he's a much stronger dude. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, K197040 said:

LMAO at this take.  Agree that you can't always predict a fight outcome by size.

But come on.  In this case, you can just look at them and tell.

Unless you're speculating that Mason was going to break out with some martial arts stuff.   Which now that I think about it, would have been great TV.  Seeing Rudolph in a karate stance. 

But anyway, Garrett makes a living pushing around 275+ pound men.   I don't even have to look at their combine numbers to know he's a much stronger dude. 

59e18862d7d56.image.jpg

717e2eb6983da814d8543e6c7de49663.jpg

Edited by vercrazy
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, K197040 said:

So stronger and more muscle-bound ALWAYS means better in a fight? SO not true.

Back to Rudolph the football player... a fine is totally appropriate. And Garrett won't be pushing anyone around for a good long time.

2 minutes ago, jnormy said:

Back to Rudolph the football player... a fine is totally appropriate. And Garrett won't be pushing anyone around for a good long time.

“Usually if you’re the one swinging around a football helmet, you’re going to win the fight.” - John Madden, somewhere, probably

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, jnormy said:

No of course not ALWAYS.  

But come on man.

• Like 1

Even though Rudolph isn't suspended, the Steelers HAVE to look at getting a new QB, right? RIGHT? They're still in the hunt. 

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

I just don’t get how people here think this is on Mason Rudolph. 
Yea, Mason sucks but damnit Miles Garrett is a POS. 

Nobody is saying "it's on Mason Rudolph". People are saying that he's not completely innocent. Which he is not.  That's no excuse for Garrett. He has to face the music for what he did. But that's also not an excuse for Rudolph fighting either.  It's not one or the other. Both players chose to fight.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jnormy said:

Getting a chuckle out of everyone just assuming the bigger man would eat the other guy for lunch. Sure Garrett's 6-4 272 but Rudolph isn't exactly a small man at 6-5 235. Just 'cause he sucks as a QB doesn't mean he can't handle himself in a fight. And lots of NFL players push and shove and start s**t in the heat of the moment, usually several times a game... so if that's being childish, the league is chock-full of preschoolers, lol. 

Dude was throwing a fit because he had the worst performance by a QB all year. Seems pretty childish to me. Everyone in this situation is a POS honestly.

• Like 1

The only thing I'm sure about is that Rudolph is lucky everyone is talking about Garrett today and not how bad Rudolph played. 

3 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

The only thing I'm sure about is that Rudolph is lucky everyone is talking about Garrett today and not how bad Rudolph played. 

On that we can all agree!  😏

And you can't bench a guy after he just got bludgeoned with a helmet. Mason's job is safe one more week!

• Haha 1

Can people quote others where they were defending Garrett? I haven’t seen any of that in here lmao. 

6 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Can people quote others where they were defending Garrett? I haven’t seen any of that in here lmao. 

Go look on instagram

3 hours ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

It really doesn't matter what happened before. nothing is as bad as swinging a helmet on a player with no helmet. Stop defending Garrett it's sickening that humans are trying to defend him. Both are wrong to certain levels.  But c'mon this dude swung a helmet, he could of killed or gave him brain damage. That's disgusting

Nobody is defending Garrett.

What's crazy is people jumping all over anyone who doesn't want to summarily execute him, or who points out that Rudolph did wrong after starting and continuing the fight

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

Go look on instagram

I’m talking on here so...nothing? No one here is doing that.

1 hour ago, Deke said:

Even though Rudolph isn't suspended, the Steelers HAVE to look at getting a new QB, right? RIGHT? They're still in the hunt. 

And muddy up the situation even more with Ben next training camp? We've seen enough of Rudolph to know that he's not going to be the QB next season unless Ben retires. And that's not happening.

22 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Nobody is defending Garrett.

What's crazy is people jumping all over anyone who doesn't want to summarily execute him, or who points out that Rudolph did wrong after starting and continuing the fight

Quite a few people did or trying to justify his actions. His actions didn't go far enough to have a helmet  swung at him. Punch the guy or something, not use a weapon. Anyone using a weapon is a coward unless it's police/military.  

I was a fan of Garrett but not anymore. Hope he never sees the field again.  It's a privilege to play at that level . 

8 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

And muddy up the situation even more with Ben next training camp? We've seen enough of Rudolph to know that he's not going to be the QB next season unless Ben retires. And that's not happening.

That Josh Dobbs trade isn't looking so good right now...

*side note - Josh Dobbs is an alien.  Yall seen that dome?  Had it been Dobbs Garrett clubbed with the helmet, the helmet would've shattered into a million pieces

4 hours ago, jumper said:

I suppose some of us can hold more than one thought in our brain simultaneously and thus understand that saying Rudolph did something wrong isn't "defending Garrett."  Nor is correctly pointing out that Rudolph both started things then attempted to start round 2 after Garrett was walking away is likewise not "defending Garrett."   Both dudes deserve the ban hammer.  If you want to argue that one deserves more whacks with that hammer, then feel free to argue that. 

Obviously you're 1 of them. No one deserves a helmet to the head period. Idc what was sad or done prior. He didn't do anything to deserve to possible die or be a vegetable. Would love to hear your comments if that did happen. Same tune?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

That Josh Dobbs trade isn't looking so good right now...

*side note - Josh Dobbs is an alien.  Yall seen that dome?  Had it been Dobbs Garrett clubbed with the helmet, the helmet would've shattered into a million pieces

Dobbs is every bit as bad as Mason if not worse.

And yes, he is obviously an alien. Not even trying to hide it either!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

I’m talking on here so...nothing? No one here is doing that.

Not so much outright defending, more like deflecting. Guys get in each others faces all the time in games, last night happened because one guy decided to use a helmet as a weapon. 

Edited by owenmills
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lvsaint429 said:

Saying Rudolph started this is incredibly stupid. There is NO DEFENSE to explain for Garrett. So what Rudolph had a terrible game? They were down 2 TD’s with 8 seconds left. The Browns were head-hunting all game long, as evidenced with concussions by Smith-Schuster & Johnson. He was hit & driven to the turf well after the ball was released with no flag. It was a cheap shot, Rudolph reacted & scuffled like what happens all game long. That doesn’t excuse Garrett ripping his helmet off & swinging it like a barbarian. I’m glad he’s done for the season at minimum. Pouncey defended his young QB, but went too far at the end & deserves a short suspension. Saying Rudolph deserves any punishment in this shows you don’t know what the hell you’re talking about

Rudolph did start it, and that has nothing to do with defending Garrett. You can't defend him, but Rudolph started it when they were on the ground, and Rudolph initiated it again when Garrett was being walked away. Garrett's act was much worse, but Rudolph started the brawl. I don't even see how either of those things are questionable. 

You say that doesn't excuse Garrett from ripping off Rudolph's helmet, well what about Rudolph trying to rip off Garrett's helmet first? Just because he failed doesn't make the act any better. If you're saying Garrett should be punished for the swinging of the helmet, I agree. If you're saying it's because he ripped it off, then Rudolph should get something (much smaller) too. Period. 

2 hours ago, jnormy said:

I can get on board with your first sentence, but LMAO at "after Garrett was walking away." More like forcibly pulled away with much resistance.

Scuffles happen all the time in football, tempers flare, lots of pushing and shoving and yelling, etc. This incident was taken to a whole new level as soon as Garrett swung the helmet at Rudolph's head. That could have ended SO much worse. The NFL got this one right with the suspensions, IMO.

Regardless, Garrett was away from the situation when Rudolph chased him down. That was his choice. I agree with everything else you said aside of Rudolph not getting anything. 

1 minute ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

Quite a few people did or trying to justify his actions. His actions didn't go far enough to have a helmet  swung at him. Punch the guy or something, not use a weapon. Anyone using a weapon is a coward unless it's police/military.  

I was a fan of Garrett but not anymore. Hope he never sees the field again.  It's a privilege to play at that level . 

I haven't seen anyone justify Garrett's actions. 

Rudolph is a punk who threw a tantrum and started a fight (dude's like 23 or 24, so certainly something one can grow out of).

Garrett's actions aren't justified.  Rudolph's actions aren't justified.  Garrett's action, simply because of capability and field of vision, is more egregious. 

At the same time, people love to be outraged these days - so everyone wants to act like this was the WORST THING EVER!!! 

Yea, clocking a dude with a helmet crosses the line, is out of control, and dumb.  It's not the end of the world or civilization, it's not going to kill him (though I'm surprised Rudolph took the hit so well since he's previously shown a glass jaw), and it's ridiculous to call for his arrest or lifetime suspension.  Are we that weak and fragile that we can't deal with a scuffle that got a little out of hand?

Fights happen and people use objects as weapons in fights, but most aren't televised.  Civilization will continue. 

Oh - and when wrestlers hit each other over the head with chairs and such: those are real metal chairs really hitting people in the head.

10 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Not so much outright defending, more like deflecting. Guys get in each others faces all the time in games, last night happened because one guy decided to use a helmet as a weapon. 

This is what I’m talking about. No examples of anyone defending him. No one can criticize Mason huh?