Daz Gervin

Ben Simmons 2019-2020 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season 2019 automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

What y'all think about ben this year ? More usage now that jimmy and redick are gone. And those summer runs are looking like the real deal for simmons. It seems like he's found that confidence. I expect him to be hitting that middy pull up and fade away more consistently this year. Don't know if he will bring back to the 3pt line at all. But most def it looks like he will be trying to hit that long 20 footer in games. Check the footage out in this run, probably the most impressive run I've seen from him this summer...

I'm thinking maybe poor man version of lebrons stats from last season ? Not 27 8 and 8, but around the range of 22 8 and 8 with better fg% and stls. This kid is going to eat this year and I love how j-rich and horford compliment his game.

Its extremely unfavorable to take him in 9 cat roto.  The best format would be points where his 3 negative cats don't hurt you, then probably 8 cat h2h where TO don't matter and you can just punt FT and load up on 3's throughout.  Would make a good 3rd round pick if you can somehow get him there and pair him with other punt build players i.e. Lebron, Giannis, Gobert, Drummo, etc.   

5 hours ago, hipriest69 said:

Its extremely unfavorable to take him in 9 cat roto.  The best format would be points where his 3 negative cats don't hurt you, then probably 8 cat h2h where TO don't matter and you can just punt FT and load up on 3's throughout.  Would make a good 3rd round pick if you can somehow get him there and pair him with other punt build players i.e. Lebron, Giannis, Gobert, Drummo, etc.   

Agree. The guy who had him in my 9-cat last year ended up with a 1 in 3's, a 1 in FT's, a 3 in TO's, and a zero in winnings.

• Like 3

If the guys I wanted at the turn were sniped in H2H I'd consider grabbing him and pairing him with someone like Gobert/Drummond and commiting to a triple punt build. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, therealmikeshinoda said:

Benjamin would be gone in round 2 ... in some mock draft, i even saw him gone in round 1 (must be one hardcore Benjamin fan) and also Luca Doncic was surprising too (gone in round 1).

ESPN moved him to #9 in their rankings

(maybe someone bought into that hype )

On 9/27/2019 at 1:41 AM, Quazza said:

ESPN moved him to #9 in their rankings

(maybe someone bought into that hype )

They must have known what was happening tonight. 

Rest of the league can just pack it up.

9 minutes ago, a-rob said:

Nice to see him finally makes one, but would still be lucky to average 0.5 3pm/g. The real key to improving his fantasy value is getting his FT% up. you can live with the lack of 3s, but what is dragging him down is his weakness in 3 cats- ft% to and 3pm. hitting a few 3s from time to time won't matter esp in H2H, it will be insignificant. FT% is the key

killjoy

• Haha 2

Just now, a-rob said:

LOL, the 3 put a smile on my face too, but just being realistic. There's a reason why he has never been ranked above top 50, even if he is being picked in round 2. Adding a 3 every few games won't change that. If he can shoot 75% FT then he's gonna be scary

he is just fine if you punt ft and tos the way you should with Simmons. Second round value in that construct 

• Like 1

Just now, a-rob said:

yup that's the thing IF you punt, you're fine, that's why he is not for everyone. In H2H if you draft him, essentially you are hurting yourself in 2 categories, and he doesn't contribute much in another (3pm). He is a tough guy to own in Roto, and in H2H you really need to draft the right guys around him. His nightly triple double watch is great, but too many holes

in roto no shot I draft him unless punting ft and Tos

• Like 1

In points leagues he’s probably going to have a top 8 finish. Draft accordingly. Cats I tend to stay away from him. I don’t mind punting cats but I don’t like to with such an early pick. 

On 10/8/2019 at 7:34 PM, a-rob said:

Yeah, simmons will post several beast lines 18 12 12 in 1 year but hard to win with him if he is not contributing or hurting you in 3 out of your 9 categories. The same thing can be said for RWB if he cannot improve his FT%

simmons vs Westbrook is one I cant figure out. both have their flaws but both are monster popcorn stat guys that are huge if you know how to build around them.

Westbrook should have simmons in pts reb and dimes even with the move to hou. think Westbrook and simmons are a draw on stocks maybe favor simmons a bit with the potential 1 blk. so it comes down to is Westbrooks increase in pts/reb/dimes and threes> than simmons elite fg%. I say yes but then you got to factor in the age and inj risk of Westbrook vs simmons continued growth and more usage. need 20/8/8 from simmons if im taking him over Westbrook.

Edited by colepenhagen

1 hour ago, colepenhagen said:

simmons vs Westbrook is one I cant figure out. both have their flaws but both are monster popcorn stat guys that are huge if you know how to build around them.

Westbrook should have simmons in pts reb and dimes even with the move to hou. think Westbrook and simmons are a draw on stocks maybe favor simmons a bit with the potential 1 blk. so it comes down to is Westbrooks increase in pts/reb/dimes and threes> than simmons elite fg%. I say yes but then you got to factor in the age and inj risk of Westbrook vs simmons continued growth and more usage. need 20/8/8 from simmons if im taking him over Westbrook.

I doubt west avg. more ast than simmons playing along aside harden. And with butler outta town, simmons ast should go up. They will be probably be a draw in stls, but not blks. Since simmons will be guarding taller players in the post more whole west is out in the perimeter playing d. You know simmons blk totals will be higher. 

Simmonds going for the submission win via rear naked choke

(look closely and you see KAT literally tap out 😂)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Quazza said:

Simmonds going for the submission win via rear naked choke

(look closely and you see KAT literally tap out 😂)

Was wondering if he really put pressure on that, this will merit more than throwing punches right?

18 minutes ago, iowncrazyhair said:

Wtf? I sure hope he doesnt get suspended for that

course he will

Simmons and KAT are close. I do wonder though if the NBA asks for statements from all parties involved for additional context when it comes to suspensions.

Edited by OxyBubbleMan

8 hours ago, Quazza said:

course he will

I hope so too! Get my boy Josh richarson some more touches for this week as i'm vsing a freaking on fire harden, sabonis, and tristan thompson. Need some love on my side at the moment :(

Embiid 5 games, Towns and Simmons 2 games suspension I guess ...