Zangief80

Wayne Gallman Jr 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, CooL said:

Does Danny Dimes check down?  Or does he tuck and run like a rookie typically would?

Way too early for anyone to have a confident opinion on this. Dude can obviously run though

In the dictionary under JAG, it says see Wayne Gallman

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, nmartinez12443 said:

Anyone in NY area or follow the team, what is the likelihood that they sign someone. I could see them just seeing what they have or making a trade. TBH that division is pretty winable and they could try and win now. Giants have a pretty great line and could be explosive with Tate, Shephard, and Engram. Have #2 waiver and my rbs are jacobs and thompson. So yeah. 

Will the Giants add someone? Possibly for depth. They really liked Jon Hillman in the offseason. He was cut in the preseason and could be someone that they could bring back for depth because he knows the system and the Giants just don't have a lot of money.

As for Gallman, I think we need to go back to 2017 to really understand his value. He came on in the second half of that season behind an atrocious O-Line. Yes, he can catch as evident by his reception totals in limited work in 2017. I will say this, when we drafted Barkley, we drafted Barkley because he is a generational talent. It was an obvious choice over getting a QB in 2018. With that being said, Giants fans never saw that continued maturation of Gallman in 2018 because he was obviously stuck behind Barkley.

What will work for Gallman? This is his second year in the system, will be playing behind the best offensive line that he has had and he is good at catching the ball out of the backfield. Shurmur can add different wrinkles to the playbook that we've havent seen before with a mobile QB that could open up things for the running game. It was concerning that they tried to bring back Perkins, Rod Smith and Hillman to take his job as backup but he beat them out and I think he had more talent than any of them.

I would definitely make him the #1 back off the board this week.

• Like 1

This reminds me of 2 years back when david Johnson went out for the season with  wrist injury and everyone burned their waivers on there back up...don't even remember his name anymore and no real RB emerged at the end as a pick up for that team. I still think for non-faab leagues he is still worth spending a #1 because you may hold onto that #1 all season and miss out on other potential adds when holding on to it. It almost a burden to have when holding that #1 waiver. 

Edited by the1gq2nvy

Not that Clemson has a rich history of amazing RB's, but Gallman has the 2nd highest single season rushing yards in Clemson history (around 1,600 yds) and had a 17 TD season too. He can run and catch and is being given the opportunity. I'm not selling the farm, but he's a no brainer add to see what happens.

12 minutes ago, the1gq2nvy said:

This reminds me of 2 years back when david Johnson went out for the season with  wrist injury and everyone burned their waivers on there back up...don't even remember his name anymore and no real RB emerged at the end as a pick up for that team. I still think for non-faab leagues he is still worth spending a #1 because you may hold onto that #1 all season and miss out on other potential adds when holding on to it. It almost a burden to have when holding that #1 waiver. 

Or the time when David Johnson's starter went out and he came in and won leagues. Gallman is nowhere near as talented as DJ but then again nobody knew how talented DJ really was back then either. I'm not super high on Gallman but I agree with the people saying add now ask questions later, because you never know.

32 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Or the time when David Johnson's starter went out and he came in and won leagues. Gallman is nowhere near as talented as DJ but then again nobody knew how talented DJ really was back then either. I'm not super high on Gallman but I agree with the people saying add now ask questions later, because you never know.

Agree with all this.  But the "add now" is more complex, because you certainly don't want to be blowing 50% FAAB on this guy only to see CJA on the practice field on Thursday morning.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trolltoll said:

agreed... i'd be a little more worried if they starting working out CJA

could still happen.......I think they'll wait until they get the 2nd opinion on Barkley tomorrow and act accordingly.

11 minutes ago, trolltoll said:

agreed... i'd be a little more worried if they starting working out CJA

Per CJ thread, he’s working out with Houston

51 minutes ago, Gmen07 said:

Giants working out Benny Cunningham. 

That's good news for Gallman.  The real trouble would be if they bring in someone who can / could used to play, like Anderson, Ajayi, even a guy like Josh Adams would be a bigger threat to Gallman than Cunningham.  Cunningham is JAG-minus and is probably being looked at for pass protection as they don't want to let their overdrafted QB get murdered during a lost season.

I wonder what happens if we get to Week 12 after the Giants bye and they're 1-10 or 2-9. At that point does it even make sense to bring Barkley back for the last 6 games of the season and cost your self a few draft spots if he wins you a game or two?

Edited by AJ92
  • Like 2

Just now, AJ92 said:

I wonder what happens if we get to Week 12 after the Giants bye and their 1-10 or 2-9. At that point does it even make sense to bring Barkley back for the last 6 games of the season and cost your self a few draft spots if he wins you a game or two?

Now this is officer thinking.

So surely they sign somebody. Let’s say it’s a passing down back. Does that temper our expectations and enthusiasm for this ordinary dude? First/second down, maybe goal line of Dimes doesn’t run it in himself? I think I’m going to lower my FAAB a little...

1 minute ago, Savatage79 said:

What sucks is I have a number 1 claim and it's like what do you even do here.. I also feel they're gonna sign someone, I could see an Anderson, maybe ajayi... But it's hard to pass on gallman even tho I don't feel he's gonna do much, but he has the opportunity. 

Is it one of those things to take him and just be on the gun for any other possible signing? 

My team where I have Barkley im not even close to getting gallman since im 1st, so giants signing someone would be awesome. 

I know what you mean. I have # 1 this week but it resets back next weak to worse record (probably me LOL). I may try to pair him with a Mike Williams or A.J. Green to the Saquon owner for something better. 

I'm surprised that the Giants haven't worked out any higher profile rb's yet.  Maybe they're going to give Gallman a chance next game to be the guy and then sign a bigger name the week after if he falters.

33 minutes ago, Gmen07 said:

So it looks like the Giants worked out Cunningham, Zach Zenner and Fozzy Whitaker today.

A true all-star team. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

A true all-star team. 

If they sign Zenner, it would likely be for goal-line situations.  Cunningham and Whittaker are mostly passing down backs.  They'll sign someone, it's just a question of who and what their specialty is.

This whole thread is confusing me a bit. 

For instance I have Justin Jackson. It’s very difficult to tell from this if I should drop him for Gallman. 

Is he worth more than a handcuff right now?

14 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

If they sign Zenner, it would likely be for goal-line situations.  Cunningham and Whittaker are mostly passing down backs.  They'll sign someone, it's just a question of who and what their specialty is.

I don't think any of those guys carve out anything more than a spell/change of pace role behind Gallman. 

Obviously I'm biased since I dropped $41 on him this morning but he seems like a pretty safe bet to be the work horse. He's got the receiving chops (34 recs his rookie year) as well as the power for short yardage work.

This article is pretty decent breakdown of his skills... https://expandtheboxscore.com/articles/wayne-gallman-faab-report/

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AJ92 said:

I don't think any of those guys carve out anything more than a spell/change of pace role behind Gallman. 

Obviously I'm biased since I dropped $41 on him this morning but he seems like a pretty safe bet to be the work horse. He's got the receiving chops (34 recs his rookie year) as well as the power for short yardage work.

This article is pretty decent breakdown of his skills... https://expandtheboxscore.com/articles/wayne-gallman-faab-report/

What worries me is he played in the ACC.🤣