Zangief80

Wayne Gallman Jr 2019 Outlook

Always lol when people throw out what dudes did in college. 17 TDs at Clemson, fine. But this is the NFL! If he was a sure fire talent, then he wouldn’t have been a backup on a terrible team and would have seized the job from Darkwa when he had the opportunity. I think he’s ordinary. He’ll put up decent stats on volume alone though, so that’s what people are paying for. 

Not expecting anything regular from Gallman but I’m starting him this week over Devonta Freeman in a full PPR league.  While I think Freeman still has more value this season, he hasn’t been consistent, hasn’t been used in the passing game as much as I had hoped, and is facing a good Tennessee defense.  Like the poster above said, Gallman seems likely to get volume and some work in the receiving game.  Even with an inefficient 14 carries for 52 and 4 receptions for 15 yards, with a coin flip chance at a TD as the goal line back, that’s a startable RB2 for teams like mine that went WR heavy early and have mediocre alternatives (Michel, Freeman & Breida (bye)).

46 minutes ago, CooL said:

Always lol when people throw out what dudes did in college. 17 TDs at Clemson, fine. But this is the NFL! If he was a sure fire talent, then he wouldn’t have been a backup on a terrible team and would have seized the job from Darkwa when he had the opportunity. I think he’s ordinary. He’ll put up decent stats on volume alone though, so that’s what people are paying for. 

Good point!  We should completely dismiss what he did 3 years ago, but hang our hat on what he did 2 years ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CooL said:

30 minutes ago, cnewbykkn said:

Good point!  We should completely dismiss what he did 3 years ago, but hang our hat on what he did 2 years ago. 

You both make good points.

I keep hearing this Darkwa argument but Darkwa did well with the Giants. Darkwa's plod like, one cut and go running style was at least somewhat effective behind that line. He averaged 4.4 ypc in 2017. Gallman averaged 4.2 ypc. It wasn't as if Darkwa was sub 4.0 ypc and the Giants kept trotting him out there because they didn't trust Gallman. Gallman was looked at as possibly the future RB for the Giants before the Giants brought in a new HC and GM. Obviously Barkley was drafted and the Giants brought in the bust known as Jonathan Stewart who was close to the GM from their Carolina days.

This why I think his Clemson days are relevant. Gallman played with Deshaun Watson at Clemson who was a mobile QB working in a system that tried to take advantage of their athletic ability. As we saw last week, Shurmur opened up his playbook because of the more mobile and athletic Jones. You could see similar wrinkles in the Giants playbook going forward with RPO and stuff like that where Gallman excelled at in Clemson.

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Thanks 2

I think he is fine, a solid NFL back-up runner/pace changer. Can catch and protect well, so that is useful. Their line is vastly improved and QB situation seems much better now too.

I know this is rather AC, but a guy went full 100% on Gallman and its attempting to flip to me now (as a Barkley owner that is totally over a barrel in a 16 team league with just Procise, Justice, Damion Harris as my options)...he wants Ty Johnson and Cortland Sutton...PPR and I have plenty of WR depth (Sutton does not even make flex starts for me)...Think I don't have a choice, go Gallman...yeah

• Like 1

He’s pretty much the definition of veteran “jack of all trades but master of none” JAG.

Edited by griffin727

11 hours ago, miasma16 said:

They should've never drafted him in the first place, because by the time they even had a chance to be any good, he'd be declining and looking for Gurley money anyway.

Yep, and they definitely shouldn't have used the #2 pick on a running back.  This isn't 1974.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dfstout said:

Who's got the Gall to rev this man up this week--not out of necessity?

That’d be me. Especially if they don’t sign another back. Playing one of the weaker teams in my league this week and I blew way too much not to stuff him in the flex spot.

3 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I know this is rather AC, but a guy went full 100% on Gallman and its attempting to flip to me now (as a Barkley owner that is totally over a barrel in a 16 team league with just Procise, Justice, Damion Harris as my options)...he wants Ty Johnson and Cortland Sutton...PPR and I have plenty of WR depth (Sutton does not even make flex starts for me)...Think I don't have a choice, go Gallman...yeah

I had the same thing happen to me in a deep keeper, except my guy wants Marquise Brown and my first round pick. I didn't bite. If I don't see Gallman as a difference maker, I can't sacrifice my future for a six week rental. 

Of course, that leaves me starting both Lions backs this week. :wacko:

Gallman owners should sell, sell, sell if he produces this week. After this week he has Minnesota, New England, and Arizona who held Kerryon, Ingram, and (outside of a 76 yd TD run) McCaffrey to under 4.0 ypc. 

Barkley was targeted 5 times in one half by Jones. Gallman was targeted zero times in the 2nd half by Jones; which pass catching is suppose to be one of Gallman's strengths. It seems more likely to me that they don't trust Gallman's talent and will opt to simply phase out the RB position in Barkley's absence. 

Pedestrian runner behind a pedestrian O-line who may or may not be involved in the passing game, and may have goal line opportunities poached by his QB. IMO, no thanks. 

10 minutes ago, Nickmo said:

Gallman owners should sell, sell, sell if he produces this week. After this week he has Minnesota, New England, and Arizona who held Kerryon, Ingram, and (outside of a 76 yd TD run) McCaffrey to under 4.0 ypc. 

Barkley was targeted 5 times in one half by Jones. Gallman was targeted zero times in the 2nd half by Jones; which pass catching is suppose to be one of Gallman's strengths. It seems more likely to me that they don't trust Gallman's talent and will opt to simply phase out the RB position in Barkley's absence. 

Pedestrian runner behind a pedestrian O-line who may or may not be involved in the passing game, and may have goal line opportunities poached by his QB. IMO, no thanks. 

I'd look to trade him now if you can and don't need him. People aren't going to pay a lot for 4-6 week rental no matter how good he does next game. If I can get a season long value for him I'm looking to do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nickmo said:

Why sell?? Giants have an adequate O-Line.

As expected, instead of going outside of the organization, the Giants promoted training camp and preseason favorite Jonathan Hillman. This job belongs to Gallman.

Giants promoted RB Jonathan Hilliman to the 53-man roster.

A 23-year-old UDFA out of Rutgers, Hilliman gets the first crack at No. 3 duties behind Wayne Gallman and Elijhaa Penny as the G-Men wait on Saquon Barkley (ankle) to heal. Needless to say, it's not a good situation. The Giants might have been better off signing a veteran free agent. Hilliman took the rock 25 times for 80 yards (3.2 YPC) and two scores this preseason, adding 6/36 as a pass catcher. He averaged a dreadful 3.5 yards per carry on 485 college totes between Boston College and Rutgers.

just watch the run at the 35 second point 😂😂😂 if he does that one time to even a punter I’ll be okay w the way his season turned out

Edited by itschief33

Well well well...

Weekly start until saquon comes back. Nobody is gonna offer up anything consistent for a rental anyways.

Just glad he balled out today

3 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

where's all the haters at?

I don't understand? I don't think I saw anyone debate that he wasn't a good pickup and play against the Skins. 18/63/1 and 6/55/1. Nice day for him. Minnesota and New England coming up now. We will see what he's made of.

Edited by FitzMagic

8 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

I don't understand? I don't think I saw anyone debate that he wasn't a good pickup and play against the Skins. 18/63/1 and 6/55/1. Nice day for him. Minnesota and New England coming up now. We will see what he's made of.

A lot of folks were sh*tting on Gallman.

• Like 2

Just now, Maroney's Bolgna said:

Didn't see it. I saw a lot of people call him average or pedestrian. The performance today doesn't really prove anybody wrong. For fantasy purposes though, it was a great game. Two walk-in scores, but a score is a score.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maroney's Bolgna said:

You can be a bad player and still have fantasy value

32 minutes ago, yanksman said:

You can be a bad player and still have fantasy value

But the discussion centered around his fantasy value soooooooo that doesn't make his statement wrong.

There were folks saying he wasn't worth the faab or #1 priority based on his production. He likely wont do this every week but for now he was worth the add for all saquon owners who had a chance to get him