jay_00

Marc Gasol 2019-2020 Outlook

Personally think he is being severely overrated on this thread. Not sure if it’s more so in hope for current owners or not..

The big thing to factor in is how awesome Ibaka has been playing. He’s still going to be churning into big minutes with how well he’s been going.

tbh I see them just easing Gasol through the rest of the season on a 20-25 minute per game basis to be healthy and fit for playoffs where he really shines. 

yes he’ll give you maybe 1 3 a game, a few assists and some rebounds but he scores nearly no points and has awful fg % for a big man. 

1 minute ago, vnmslsrbms said:

Good thing he only takes like 3 FG's a game LOL.  I'm kidding I don't even know how many he takes.  I avoid knowing because I hate it and it might make me stupid and want to drop him LOL.  But he takes only a few so it doesn't hurt as bad.  Always look at the Memphis numbers and salivate though.  Can't say I wasn't hoping for a little regression with Kawhi leaving.  Nah he decides to shoot even less.  What a guy. 

Haha. No, you're right. His FG impact is not very bad due to low volume (equivalent to Lillard's). But its not hard to imagine that part of the reason he's shooting less is because his shots weren't falling. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jackdean33 said:

Personally think he is being severely overrated on this thread. Not sure if it’s more so in hope for current owners or not..

The big thing to factor in is how awesome Ibaka has been playing. He’s still going to be churning into big minutes with how well he’s been going.

tbh I see them just easing Gasol through the rest of the season on a 20-25 minute per game basis to be healthy and fit for playoffs where he really shines. 

yes he’ll give you maybe 1 3 a game, a few assists and some rebounds but he scores nearly no points and has awful fg % for a big man. 

This isn't some random scrub though. This is a dude coming off an NBA/FIBA championship. Was putting up top 40 numbers before his trade to Toronto last year. He won't get back there completely, but there's plenty of opportunity with the usage monster that is Kawhi gone. The injury may have been a blessing in disguise as he got an entire month to rest.

Also the impatient owner in my league dropped him due to the injury. I was regretting every minute of seeing him rolling after not having scooped him up when he first hit waivers during his rough start. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vnmslsrbms said:

Yeah he should be an add in even 10 teamers since he's ranking within 100, but totally depends on if you like all around stats with little scoring.  Sometimes you lose to a team with all your flashy players and can't figure out why, it's the other team has a couple of these guys lurking in the corner.  That's just my opinion. 

I dont understand the argument about 'he is ranking within 100" (sorry not going at you just using your quote as an example haha). I understand that the top 100 players on the player rater gives a great indication on whether players are good for your league or not, but some players are ranked lower then their actual stats indicate. For example, chris paul is ranked higher than trae young, but you would have to give paul and another quality player to even be considered getting young. So i think arguing him being in the top 100 is not the greatest argument. 

For clarification, i agree that he should be added in 10 teamers, as i have him, but its solely because i need a centre that can get assists. Certain players have better values on certain fantasy teams.

Also i agree with your outlook that a team with some flashy players wont always win against a well built squad with some sneaky value players at the end of their bench.

4 minutes ago, PaddyAustralia said:

I dont understand the argument about 'he is ranking within 100" (sorry not going at you just using your quote as an example haha). I understand that the top 100 players on the player rater gives a great indication on whether players are good for your league or not, but some players are ranked lower then their actual stats indicate. For example, chris paul is ranked higher than trae young, but you would have to give paul and another quality player to even be considered getting young. So i think arguing him being in the top 100 is not the greatest argument. 

For clarification, i agree that he should be added in 10 teamers, as i have him, but its solely because i need a centre that can get assists. Certain players have better values on certain fantasy teams.

Also i agree with your outlook that a team with some flashy players wont always win against a well built squad with some sneaky value players at the end of their bench.

No absolutely, I can accept the criticism of using the top 100 ranking.  Rankings are not always indicative of how good a player is.  I was just lazy and used it since everybody can easily access it, and it's not generally far off.  When you do trades, it's also people's perceptions that factor into whether a trade goes through or not.  I'm just saying he's not a bad player that should be sitting on the waiver, but can understand if it was a 10 teamer.  Could be the team is stacked and looking for more upside and already strong in STOCKS and assists or really need scoring.  Some will look at his scoring and rebounding and low FG% and think dump that loser, yet he is still somehow hanging around, meaning he's still producing in stocks and 3's and assists just enough.  It's easy enough to find guys who score more, but it's hard to find guys off the waiver who do all those things. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vnmslsrbms said:

No absolutely, I can accept the criticism of using the top 100 ranking.  Rankings are not always indicative of how good a player is.  I was just lazy and used it since everybody can easily access it, and it's not generally far off.  When you do trades, it's also people's perceptions that factor into whether a trade goes through or not.  I'm just saying he's not a bad player that should be sitting on the waiver, but can understand if it was a 10 teamer.  Could be the team is stacked and looking for more upside and already strong in STOCKS and assists or really need scoring.  Some will look at his scoring and rebounding and low FG% and think dump that loser, yet he is still somehow hanging around, meaning he's still producing in stocks and 3's and assists just enough.  It's easy enough to find guys who score more, but it's hard to find guys off the waiver who do all those things. 

I love how well you took this, i expect nothing but retaliation from people in this thread, so hats off for being civil haha. Yeah . i agree with everything you are saying. I love gasol but im stacked with scorers on my team so having players that can fill it up elsewhere (gasol, bruce brown, huerter) is a fantastic advantage to have.

• Like 1

Personally I think the month off is gonna pay off for him the 2nd half of the season. He's getting up there and in age and was probably running on fumes after FIBA. The other Raptors may have been putting up decent numbers while Marc was out but they weren't necessarily playing winning basketball...over the past week or so the Raps lost a bunch of close games down the stretch (3 to be exact and 1 ugly blowout to the Heat).

As someone earlier mentioned, he might be playing for his final big contract in a very, very weak FA class. Add the fact that he's been working with Spanish trainers over the past month makes him seem poised to inch closer to a cautiously optimistic top 80-90 range. That being said, I'm punting FG% and still don't hate the idea of letting Gasol go if a really intriguing pickup comes up. Hope he balls out and makes me hang on ROS

Edited by royalm

Is it crazy to think he'll have an uptick in assists since FVV is out?

1 hour ago, PaddyAustralia said:

I love how well you took this, i expect nothing but retaliation from people in this thread, so hats off for being civil haha. Yeah . i agree with everything you are saying. I love gasol but im stacked with scorers on my team so having players that can fill it up elsewhere (gasol, bruce brown, huerter) is a fantastic advantage to have.

We have the same build. I have tons of scorers too, so I filled the rest with the likes of Gasol, Bruce Brown, and Beverley. Huerter is coming to his own as a scorer recently though.

7 minutes ago, ThisIsSparta said:

Is it crazy to think he'll have an uptick in assists since FVV is out?

We have the same build. I have tons of scorers too, so I filled the rest with the likes of Gasol, Bruce Brown, and Beverley. Huerter is coming to his own as a scorer recently though.

I mean as long as he continues putting up 5 rebounds 4 assists and a steal its a welcome sight

Interesting read:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/opinion/2020/01/14/marc-gasol-will-give-until-it-hurts-and-when-it-hurts-the-raptors-well-then-hell-shoot.html

Couple quotes from the article:

“Somebody has to give up the ball,” Gasol says. “Somebody has to let the ball go through their hands to get to an action. So that was my thought process. I think now, looking back, I’ve got to get as many shots up as I can, because that also helps the team. Sometimes being unselfish, you might create other issues.

“And sometimes you’ll forget to look at the orange thing up there. You try to get somebody else open by screening, by passing, by cutting. And you forget: the basket, too. Now my first thing’s gonna be the basket. Obviously that’s what the team needs, and we’ll go from there.”

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, orlgln said:

Interesting read:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/opinion/2020/01/14/marc-gasol-will-give-until-it-hurts-and-when-it-hurts-the-raptors-well-then-hell-shoot.html

Couple quotes from the article:

“Somebody has to give up the ball,” Gasol says. “Somebody has to let the ball go through their hands to get to an action. So that was my thought process. I think now, looking back, I’ve got to get as many shots up as I can, because that also helps the team. Sometimes being unselfish, you might create other issues.

“And sometimes you’ll forget to look at the orange thing up there. You try to get somebody else open by screening, by passing, by cutting. And you forget: the basket, too. Now my first thing’s gonna be the basket. Obviously that’s what the team needs, and we’ll go from there.”

Inb4 Marc 'Karl Anthony' Gasol is unleashed

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MuscleChestbrook said:

Marc Anthony about to conquer some ****

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, j3rkthenurk said:

Great input.

He could be an add in 10 teamers because he provides stats across the board. It really depends on your build. 

"Could be an add" does not mean "must add", which is what the poster was asking.  

Nice return for the big fella. If he truly starts scoring more along w/ his other goodies, many will be glad they held or scooped. 

quite consistent on the blocks and steals for a big .. need those. like posters have mentioned his minutes are there. ... definitely worth the look.. 

6 hours ago, MuscleChestbrook said:

Too late.  Scores 15/5/6.  Looks like he's well rested after a long summer.  And watched some game tape and meditated and returning as the iron fist. 

On 1/15/2020 at 11:16 PM, vnmslsrbms said:

Too late.  Scores 15/5/6.  Looks like he's well rested after a long summer.  And watched some game tape and meditated and returning as the iron fist. 

Marc returning to top 100 form like...

marc gasol power walk GIF by Memphis Grizzlies

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, francosean said:

Marc returning to top 100 form like...

marc gasol power walk GIF by Memphis Grizzlies

Best reaction to all the Gasol haters.

• Like 2

He could really anchor some lineups going forward if he improves his FG% and can raise his ppg. 
I needed his 3’s and assists so everything else is gravy. 

The rest really did him good. I love it.

This is why when a proven but struggling and/or injured vet appears on the WW, you take a flier. So glad I did.

Now hopefully this same rejuvenation happens to Conley.....

• Like 3