kane

Derrick Favors 2019-2020 Outlook

Moving to Pelicans as new starting C.This is his contract year,so maybe motivate himself to play harder to get a better contract in next summer

30 mins 15.5pts 9.5 rebs 1.7 assists 0.9 stls 1.7blks 53%FG 68%FT seems realistic

Can Derrick Favors become your Favours bigman in middle round?

If we talk about PF/C starting after TOP50 are drafted, there are many equal options. Maybe JJJ is already drafted, but if not, then he also. Others are Whiteside, Valanciunas, Wendell Carter Jr, Thomas Bryant, Adams, Mitch-Rob, Bam Adebayo. Very difficult choice. Favors is one of them. I can imagine that many people in these rounds prefer younger players and then if Favors is available after TOP70, he is the best choice.

• Like 2

Holiday - Favors PNR is gonna be lethal. He's arguably the second best player on the team, he can shoot, rebound, defend. Increased minutes + high efficiency and i see Fave doing great this year.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 8:07 AM, apatas said:

If we talk about PF/C starting after TOP50 are drafted, there are many equal options. Maybe JJJ is already drafted, but if not, then he also. Others are Whiteside, Valanciunas, Wendell Carter Jr, Thomas Bryant, Adams, Mitch-Rob, Bam Adebayo. Very difficult choice. Favors is one of them. I can imagine that many people in these rounds prefer younger players and then if Favors is available after TOP70, he is the best choice.

There’s no way Adams and Whiteside are over Favors if you’re not punting FT.  Both of them has a more negative impact than Drummond even.  Whiteside should be around 12/12 with 2 blocks but provides no other stats and could be a sub .500 FT shooter.  Adams is a little different, could be 13/13 (more rebounds without Westbrook), 1.5 steals, 1 block.  He’s a top 20 guy in punt FT, but is also a sub .500 FT shooter.  

Favors probably won’t go back to his prime Utah days. But I can see him being 15/8/2 with 1.8 blocks, 1.2 steals.  A little bit below .700 from the line, over .500 from the field.  That’s pushing top 40 value. 

I also prefer him over Wendell (injury prone and unknown potential), Bryant and JV (20/10 potential and more efficient from the line but fewer stocks).

JJJ is going too early for my tastes and I think is a little overrated. His rebounds are quite weak and although they may improve I still foresee them being under 8.  He’s weaker in assists and the efficiency cats than people think as well.  He will probably be drafted top 35 but I think he will miss that mark.  

I would probably prefer MitchRob over Favors due to his potential for blocks, the scarcest fantasy cat.  If it’s roto, he’s also super elite in FG/TO. 

Bam projects to have a slight advantage in assists, rebounds, FT but at the expense of slightly worse points and stocks. I prefer the stocks. 

It’s somewhat of a moot point bc the only players projected to go after favors are Adams/Whiteside (punt FT), Bryant and Wendell maybe due to being unproven.  The others all go before Favors.  I have no problem using a 5th round pick (49-60) on Favors assuming I need a big.  

• Like 3

Do people forget he has looked seemingly cooked while he was in Utah? I mean... Good luck I guess.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Do people forget he has looked seemingly cooked while he was in Utah? I mean... Good luck I guess.

Looked fine last year when I watched some Jazz games...and last 2 months was top 50 player 14/8 with 1.7 blocks in 24 minutes. That is prob a bit ambitious on a per min basis but see no reason he can't be a top 50 player with 28-30 minutes a game. Seems like he's being a bit underrated to me.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

I would probably prefer MitchRob over Favors due to his potential for blocks, the scarcest fantasy cat.  If it’s roto, he’s also super elite in FG/TO.

IMO MitchRob is most overvalued player. He is one-category-wonder and I don't draft this type of players in TOP50. He has five red-colored cats in BBM.

Edited by apatas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

have you watched a single Favors game last season?

12 minutes ago, doomz said:

have you watched a single Favors game last season?

Nope. Actually, I never seen him play before.

2 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

He may have looked cooked at various points as he dealt with a lot of injuries, but last year was quite a nice resurgence...he looked awesome imo and plenty athletic, which may have accounted for his FG / reb / blocks that trended back up.    

• Like 5

Favors is an ideal no-hype guy you get when a run on category or position is ending, get the last guy in a run, but he's better than 2-3 similar guys who went before him. You just need to know when to pounce before your league mates. His hustle on defensive stats is a huge sweetener.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

Favors was awesome last year, so he's definitely not "cooked."

But he's definitely got a checkered injury history. If he is completely healthy he can be a major piece to a fantasy championship because he can push top 40 value at a likely huge discount on his ADP or draft price. I see Favors similar to how Gallinari was a huge piece last year because he managed to stay healthy for a whole season. 

Edited by Purple Hippo
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

He didn't play heavy minutes last year, but he still was very productive in the minutes he did play as his per 36 numbers were some of the best of his career.

And when he played without Gobert (1110 minutes), his per 36 numbers were insane: 21.3/13.9/2.0/1.2/2.6.

• Like 1

One thing that scares me from Favors is injuries. Two years ago leading up to my draft I was looking into him and I started reading into his knee injury history, he said he basically can never play at the level he was hyped to due to his knees, that the injury is holding him back. Then last off-season he apparently did some work to strengthen his knee and said he had his best offseason ever, and we saw a resurgence. I’m weary, I also don’t think the Pelicans will be nearly as good as people think, the West is such a powerhouse. I don’t want a guy on my roster who may get shut down in the last three weeks, especially not if I spent a 5th or 6th round pick on him.

There are so many C choices in this round I salivate over.

He's an excellent mid-range shooter with decent range, which doesn't rely on athleticism.  He's always been a good defender.  People forget that in 2011 he was one of the hottest big prospects in the NBA and was the cornerstone of the Williams trade.  Since then his career has been rocky due to injuries and competing with the Jazz's other bigs.  The Jazz let Millsap/BigAl/Kanter walk to make room for Favors/Gobert.  But the pair never really clicked the way the Jazz hoped.  They hoped that due to Favors being a good midrange shooter meant he could extend his range to the 3 point line, but he never really became a stretch four.  He's too slow to guard other 4s as well.  Given that Gobert is the better player, and they don't mesh, the Jazz decided to move on.  But that doesn't speak to Favors failure as a player.  His career arch is a little similar to Vuc's.  He always had unrealized potential, but is coming into his peak at 28.  Some of you must have just turned 19 because you think 28 is old, but men don't reach their physical peak until their early 30s.  His career arch is still ascending, it hasn't plateaued, let alone descended.  There's still injury risk, but that isn't correlated to his age, they're old injuries.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, v1n5anity said:

He didn't play heavy minutes last year, but he still was very productive in the minutes he did play as his per 36 numbers were some of the best of his career.

And when he played without Gobert (1110 minutes), his per 36 numbers were insane: 21.3/13.9/2.0/1.2/2.6.

I don’t want to dampen the mood, but per 36 is just not indicative of what they’ll do, it gives a rough idea of what a player is good at, but it’s just totally inflated. There’s so many guys who have nice per 36s and they never come close to that mark in terms of minutes or let alone stats. 

I like to use it myself, but more so for letting me know this guy has upside and here’s what categories he’s strong in. If Favors averaged that he would be a top 5-10 draft pick..that’s basically AD without the threes and FT. He’s never had a season above 16 points/7 boards, and that was in 32 minutes as the undisputed starter. We can use that as a baseline expectation.

A realistic season from him is around 14/9/1/1.2 which is still solid and why he’s right there in that round. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

I don’t want to dampen the mood, but per 36 is just not indicative of what they’ll do, it gives a rough idea of what a player is good at, but it’s just totally inflated. There’s so many guys who have nice per 36s and they never come close to that mark in terms of minutes or let alone stats. 

I like to use it myself, but more so for letting me know this guy has upside and here’s what categories he’s strong in. If Favors averaged that he would be a top 5-10 draft pick..that’s basically AD without the threes and FT. He’s never had a season above 16 points/7 boards, and that was in 32 minutes as the undisputed starter. We can use that as a baseline expectation.

A realistic season from him is around 14/9/1/1.2 which is still solid and why he’s right there in that round. 

Yeah I wasn't saying he will average those numbers or even close. He won't average 36 minutes either. But I was replying to the dude saying he was cooked and the numbers show he is clearly not.

• Like 1

His stat is similar to prime time Gortat,but with more pts and blks potential

source0.8646710196998528.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

Kinda agree with points, not with rebounds. He was an automatic double/double machine last year when given 26 minutes, and he often would just need 20/22 to get one.

30 minutes ago, kane said:

His stat is similar to prime time Gortat,but with more pts and blks potential

And steals, even flirting with 1 STL per game is nice for a big man

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

One thing I haven’t seen anyone factor in is the pace.

NO under Gentry plays with a league leading pace almost every year. It’s ridiculous how fast they push the ball and get out in transition.

Utah is one of the slower paced teams to make up for having guys like Gobert and Favors. I’m having a hard time picturing Favors running full speed down court every possession and getting behind the defense, he’s not a leak out outlet big, he’s a half court guy. That is definitely something to monitor this preseason.

Their style is way more suited for guys like lonzo and zion than it is favors.

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Utah was #14 in pace last year, so technically top half of the league and right about average. NO averaged 3 possessions more per game which is minor. I agree, NO fast breaks will probably be Lonzo outlet passes to Zion and Jrue, Favors will not be a key element. But he could still get dunks and other open looks as a trailer. You could argue NO will play faster with Favors off the court which will make up the majority of those extra 3 possessions depending on if it is Ingram or JJ Redick coming off the bench or if they push Zion to Center. 

Edited by BMart519
  • Like 2

Concerned about him. Zion looks to get all shots and Favors stats could not be as good as predicted. Unfortunately I don't believe anymore stats like 15.5pts 9.5 rebs 1.7 assists 0.9 stls 1.7blks. Should be clearly less.

I have not drafted yet. Just I put here remarks and want to get know: is it reasonable to rank Favors not anymore as TOP60 player but rather near 100?