kane

Derrick Favors 2019-2020 Outlook

I don't believe he'll be that guy people were expecting and im a little glad I took all the Bryants and Bams over him. He seems uninvolved in a lot of the offense, which I know its preseason, and new team etc but it seems like he's just allowing the kids to do their thing. Looking like a legit 5th option out there. I do however think he'll get in his groove eventually but come playoff time, if the Pels arent playing for anything I believe it'll be grim for him and they'll look to develop their youngens. 

• Like 1

keep in mind he's coming off a hamstring injury. I'm not sure why are they playing him at all

Edited by doomz

I'd move off of this position.  It's not so much the bad preseason, it's that they are using stretch lineups.  Previously Favors was a player with a chronic knee condition, who was worth gambling on due to top 50 upside, and great opportunity.  Take that opportunity away and he's just another Allen or Zeller.

• Like 1

1min against the knicks? off the bench too.  is he injured?

15 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Dude just got leapfrogged by Jahlil Okafor. Lmao.

A little research won't hurt. He's recovering from a pulled hamstring, he's been dealing with it throughout preseason so they decided to sit him, probably to have him rested for the season opening, given the Zion situation.

Edited by doomz

1 hour ago, doomz said:

A little research won't hurt. He's recovering from a pulled hamstring, he's been dealing with it throughout preseason so they decided to sit him, probably to have him rested for the season opening, given the Zion situation.

Agreed, Favors is a known commodity at this point, whereas they probably want to see how Jahlil fits in when the games don't count yet.

7 minutes ago, Griff X said:

Agreed, Favors is a known commodity at this point, whereas they probably want to see how Jahlil fits in when the games don't count yet.

If by this you mean Favors is known to suck, then I agree 

• Haha 1

regardless of how he played in the preseason he is bound to have a better year than last. What he did last year was with limited mins. He should get 30mpg with a fast pace offense. 

The Jrue/Favs pick and roll is gonna be fun to watch

Edited by doomz
  • Like 1

Firmly believe that he has a secure role in NO.

He shot corner threes in UTAH and has a decent looking stroke from mid-range. He sets good screens and can rim run, roll, execute hand offs and is a good defender.

He’s also more in line with pace and space than Okafor is. You still need a screening roller for an offense that spreads the floor. You don’t want 1 ball handler and 4 guys waiting for a kickout, even at the lowest levels of basketball.

Otherwise your playmakers will get stifled by good teams or just breakdown over 82 games.

The guy is 28, let’s not act like he’s a over the hill 1-2 skillset guy itching to join lebron or any contender for a ring ride; Though it wouldn’t surprise me if a team like the Clippers or Rockets trade some young talent for him. 

1 hour ago, wideopen21 said:

Favors going to carry a bunch of owners into the playoffs.

Then lose in finals as Zion returns. Yeah 28 isn't over the hill but Favors feels like he's 40, I just can't invest in him and I don't think the pels will either. He'll be hot and cold just like usual. 

4 minutes ago, MilesBridgesBetterThanZion said:

Then lose in finals as Zion returns. Yeah 28 isn't over the hill but Favors feels like he's 40, I just can't invest in him and I don't think the pels will either. He'll be hot and cold just like usual. 

Hot and cold? he played 77 and 76 games the last two seasons and he's been pretty solid although he was playing out of position. Now he's back at C. He just needs more minutes, and he'll get them this time around. 

Edited by doomz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MilesBridgesBetterThanZion said:

That's why I said get you in the playoffs, not win you a championship. Figured most would get that. 

Edited by wideopen21

14 hours ago, MilesBridgesBetterThanZion said:

he was very solid last year. 

This guy was going in the 50s in all the mock drafts i was doing in late September. He fell to me during the draft at pick 65 (October 7th ish) and i panic picked him over Bryant... Biggest regret of the draft. Hope he proves me wrong.

14 minutes ago, blu haz said:

This guy was going in the 50s in all the mock drafts i was doing in late September. He fell to me during the draft at pick 65 (October 7th ish) and i panic picked him over Bryant... Biggest regret of the draft. Hope he proves me wrong.

okay well i would never take him over bryant lol. thats just silly

4 minutes ago, WhatIsThisWizardry said:

okay well i would never take him over bryant lol. thats just silly

Back in early October, he was projected ahead of Bryant everywhere and his ADP was like 10/15 spots above him. This was before the preseason, so people weren't really sure about Bryant and were really high on Favors (in hindsight i dont know why - he's sharing the ball with lonzo, jrue and zion...)

55 minutes ago, blu haz said:

Back in early October, he was projected ahead of Bryant everywhere and his ADP was like 10/15 spots above him. This was before the preseason, so people weren't really sure about Bryant and were really high on Favors (in hindsight i dont know why - he's sharing the ball with lonzo, jrue and zion...)

the main reason i got bryant was because he was underated and not many know about him unless they followed him last year. 

favors simply never has the upside while bryant clearly does. for that reason bryant is an easy winner every single time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hlin8821 said:

What's with the low minutes?

Gentry's rotation tonight was weird, everyone had lower minutes except BI and Jrue

56 minutes ago, hlin8821 said:

What's with the low minutes?

Foul trouble. I think he had 4 fouls pretty much halfway through the 2nd quarter and Gentry held him out after that. He was shaping up to have a nice line before that.