colepenhagen

Deandre Ayton 2019-2020 Outlook

solid first performance on that minute restriction, I think we will be good to go...

2 hours ago, thezing1 said:

I don't think his reputation is ruined or in jeopardy. He got popped for a diuretic. Sometimes that is used as a masking agent for PED use and sometimes it is used in panic when you smoke some weed. Doubt anyone will remember it in 5 years if he stays out of trouble. 

Overall, great "debut" tonight against a tough team. Would have played normal allotment of minutes if the game was close. He is going to play a big part in what they do this year. Have to be pretty excited to have him back. 

Yeah he said he learned his lesson.  I like his response.  Not just denying anything.  Owning up to it and going to be a better player.  That said he'll have to try to live down the big man curse drafted before all time legends (Sam Bowie, Greg Oden - He has a chance to be better than Bowie, but Doncic is setting a high bar this season). 

• Like 2

Just watched his highlights—jumper looking smooth out there. Noticed there weren’t a lot of set plays for him. If monty can work on this, his scoring will soar. 

47 minutes ago, simon said:

Just watched his highlights—jumper looking smooth out there. Noticed there weren’t a lot of set plays for him. If monty can work on this, his scoring will soar. 

Just caught the highlights as well - looking good and should be a solid ROS

I can tell you I am pretty pretty excited. Even more than I already was because I watched the game and Ayton didn’t even look as good as he normally does early on in the game (as expected). Against a tough team. And he still put up an 18 and 12 in 24 minutes.

This dude is going to average a 20 and 10 for sure. Maybe even a little more. He didn’t look to shoot the three last night (he had the ball at times around the three point line and always looked to pass it in those cases). But I still think he will attempt some threes eventually.

All in all, he is going to be well worth the wait.

39 minutes ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

I can tell you I am pretty pretty excited. Even more than I already was because I watched the game and Ayton didn’t even look as good as he normally does early on in the game (as expected). Against a tough team. And he still put up an 18 and 12 in 24 minutes.

This dude is going to average a 20 and 10 for sure. Maybe even a little more. He didn’t look to shoot the three last night (he had the ball at times around the three point line and always looked to pass it in those cases). But I still think he will attempt some threes eventually.

All in all, he is going to be well worth the wait.

Yup the dude is a walking bucket and a monster on the boards. I think 20/10 is actually his floor and he could end up being quite better than that.

3 minutes ago, fabrar said:

Yup the dude is a walking bucket and a monster on the boards. I think 20/10 is actually his floor and he could end up being quite better than that.

Not saying you’re wrong, but 20/10 is a high floor lol. I would temper expectations just a wee bit. We shall see though, I hope you’re right! 

If that was him rusty with nerves imagine what he does once he is back settled and Book is back!

Edited by DonutGiveUp

6 hours ago, vnmslsrbms said:

Yeah he said he learned his lesson.  I like his response.  Not just denying anything.  Owning up to it and going to be a better player.  That said he'll have to try to live down the big man curse drafted before all time legends (Sam Bowie, Greg Oden - He has a chance to be better than Bowie, but Doncic is setting a high bar this season). 

I never thought about it like that in terms of him being looked at with Doncic. In fairness, the player is just caught in the crossfire and it should be ownership/GM that takes all of the heat for not drafting Doncic, but no one knows their names because they most likely suck and got fired for not drafting the all-time great. Plus international guys are just more difficult for some teams to evaluate. 

It just feels unfair in this case to put that on Ayton, who is already a really really good player in the league. This has the potential to be a ridiculous draft class. We are getting Doncic, Trae, Ayton, and JJJ in that class. Bagley could be an annual 20-10 guy. SGA. WCJ. This has been one of the best classes in the past decade. I think that will stick out more than a couple of teams passing on Doncic. 

5 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

18 and 12...

In first game back after two month absence...

Against one of the top defenses in the league...

On the road...

In only 24 mins...

Are you saying....buy low?!?!

IDK imagine Booker and Doncic together...offensively it would be a beautiful thing.

But Rubio/Ayton/Booker/Wave Papi is a nice core 4 to build around. They'll probably need a PG around the time Ayton's up for contract renewal though

11 hours ago, thezing1 said:

I never thought about it like that in terms of him being looked at with Doncic. In fairness, the player is just caught in the crossfire and it should be ownership/GM that takes all of the heat for not drafting Doncic, but no one knows their names because they most likely suck and got fired for not drafting the all-time great. Plus international guys are just more difficult for some teams to evaluate. 

It just feels unfair in this case to put that on Ayton, who is already a really really good player in the league. This has the potential to be a ridiculous draft class. We are getting Doncic, Trae, Ayton, and JJJ in that class. Bagley could be an annual 20-10 guy. SGA. WCJ. This has been one of the best classes in the past decade. I think that will stick out more than a couple of teams passing on Doncic. 

Oh I didn't mean to put it on Ayton.  And never put it on Oden or Bowie.  Unless they were lazy and wasted their potential, I wouldn't blame them for where they were picked.  In fact, it's kudos to them to be picked higher (more money).  Ayton is a good player, and will be an all star.  He was a little lost his first year and still produced.  Hope he tightens up the defensive end, as he's going to have to do the traditional things to be a superstar in the league.  He's not a AD type who can dominate on both ends.  But he can certainly learn to be more proficient on the defensive end.  He also doesn't have an outside shot, so he's going to have to be a traditional pick and roll, rebound a ton type of center.  A bonus is that he's a good FT shooter, so he might be able to develop an outside shot given some time. 

Agree that this will be a really good draft class.  I'd say has a chance to be as good as the LBJ draft.   Doncic (could be all time great), Trae and Ayton (at least multiple all star), JJJ (tremendous potential, I think will really take off next year), Bagley (solid 20-10 guy easy.  Also blocks a shot per game.).  SGA certainly has a ton of potential and will get a bigger chance if CP3 can get traded.  WCJ looks like a solid starting center at the minimum.  The top 5 picks of that draft, none were busts, and all are going to be stars.  Another guy, Michael Porter Jr, might become pretty good too if he got the chance to play more now that he is over his injury.  Nuggets are too stacked to do that. 

• Like 1