mightyjett

Michael Porter, Jr. 2019-2020 Outlook

watched bits of the game and to be fair he was pretty bad on D, several major lapses but it's understandable, he's out there learning. His offensive talent makes up for it.

Edited by doomz

5 hours ago, gooseball said:

This guy is oozing with potential along those like Wood, Wagner, A Holiday, etc. He is a stash in deep leagues already.

Who are Wood, Wagner and A Holiday

I would rush to add him if Millsap's return wasn't looming. When Harris and Millsap is back, he really gets squeezed for minutes with Jerami Grant there.

Unfortunately,Denver is too deep in wing position (Gary Harris,Beasley,Barton),Unless they trade one or two players to free up depth at the wing////I just don't see it's happening.He is talented, but the playing time is not enough

• Like 1

Hm, but he got the start with just Harris out right? Barton was the starting SG. I think the main problem is his defense acumen,which won’t work come playoffs and with Dokic not an eraser. Maybe Denver lets him roll for a month to see how fast he can grow?  Or just play him enough bench minutes. Either way, he should get more burn as he gets more comfortable With his back. I don’t know if that’s how he normally moves but he looked kinda stiff. 

Regardless what any of us think, when we see comments like this from the coach, it's hard to not get excited.

Nuggets coach Mike Malone said it best when reporters asked why he started Porter Jr. "What are we waiting for?," he replied. "Michael Porter is a huge part of our future and tonight was a great opportunity to look into that future and get a sneak peak of what’s ahead

• Thanks 1

I really want to buy into MPJ, but I just don't see the path to consistent minutes this year. Denver are a contending team and have little reason to give MPJ big mins, while I highly doubt they'll be immediately trading some of the guys playing mins in front of him like Millsap, Barton, Harris etc.

I'd have a hard time justifying him as a hold over stashes like Wood, Payton, Melton, KPJ etc. who are on bad teams and have a clearer path to more mins and potential production in the second half of the season.

• Like 2

Was just listening to the locked on podcast. According to Adam Mares of locked on nuggets, the big reason why MPJ isn't getting more minutes is because he's still not familiar with the nuggets playbook and terminologies and after being there for some time it's probably a little disappointing from the coaching staff perspective that it's taking him longer than anticipated to bring him up to nba speed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I get that some people learn way better by "doing" as opposed to seeing/reading/hearing (I'm one of them), but damn. He's been on the team for 18 months, time to know the ******** terminology 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, sharkpotato said:

Was just listening to the locked on podcast. According to Adam Mares of locked on nuggets, the big reason why MPJ isn't getting more minutes is because he's still not familiar with the nuggets playbook and terminologies and after being there for some time it's probably a little disappointing from the coaching staff perspective that it's taking him longer than anticipated to bring him up to nba speed.

lol or he's coming back from a very serious series of back problems.  jeez occam's razor folks.  anyways, picked up and excited about his ROS, especially if he can produce good FG% and pitch in a three a night.  Maybe top 75 depending on stocks.  Probably closer to 100 but whatever in our 12 teamer the waiver is barren other than your back end top 120 types or speculative plays like this.

Edited by laurilegend

People who rush to add him after last match performance just get burned

• Haha 1

I added. 

love that potential FG% boost from the SF spot. Low cost flyer. Nuggets love him.

didn’t realize he was 6’10”

Moves really well. Weird there’s no stocks. But maybe that could develop with consistent minutes.

He looked really lost on defense, but offensively, he is very polished. 

26 minutes ago, simon said:

He looked really lost on defense, but offensively, he is very polished. 

dropped him after watching one game. He's horrible at D. Not sure his offense will be enough to earn PT consistently. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dman0506 said:

dropped him after watching one game. He's horrible at D. Not sure his offense will be enough to earn PT consistently. 

I think he just hasn’t built the chemistry with his teammates and he doesn’t know what’s expected of him on the defensive end. He definitely has the tools, he just looked like he is kinda playing safe on that end and focussing on his man (who’s usually just waiting on the perimeter) instead of getting involved and playing the passing lanes.