jfazz23

Garrett Hampson 2020 Outlook

21 hours ago, B&F said:

I stopped counting the number of players on that list being drafted after Hampson I would take ahead of him.

If he is sitting on the board after pick 300, absolutely I am taking a flyer on him.  No way before that.

Chris Archer is #301 on the list.  Are we really taking him ahead of Archer?

I agree. 5+ ERAs are hard to find and Archer brings that unique ability.

• Like 2

I just don’t think he’s good at baseball.

He’s a very late dart imo otherwise you’re cherry picking a hot month for a nice, refreshing ice cold Coors talent.

Meme me if he’s good, I will deserve it

Lol I actually am taking archer over this guy btw 😂

Let’s not forget this is a guy who deserved to lose ABs to a guy who just got DFA’d by the Orioles. The man, the myth, the legend...patty barrels. I’m only half saying this for the memes.

Edited by tonycpsu
Merged.
  • Haha 1

Last year with the juiced baseball the best teams in fantasy had the fewest innings pitched. Streaming pitchers was death last year. I don't really like Hampson who has no job over Archer who was awful. Sleepers will pop up like always in preseason just hope u get the real deal and not a mirage.

I just don't understand how Hampson is going 35-40 picks ahead of McMahon who has the far bigger and better track record.  They both likely step on each other's toes.  But McMahon has a chance to just run away with the job I really don't think Hampson has a legit shot at that happening for him.

1 minute ago, FouLLine said:

I just don't understand how Hampson is going 35-40 picks ahead of McMahon who has the far bigger and better track record.  They both likely step on each other's toes.  But McMahon has a chance to just run away with the job I really don't think Hampson has a legit shot at that happening for him.

Steals. enough said.

Nothing to do with him better a better hitter or anything.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

I don't think many envision him running away with anything in the infield. The chances for full-time reps are when Dahl gets hurt or Hilliard is ineffective, if he's even locked in as a starter. I think there will be opportunity for Hampson in ST again.

I can't imagine drafting Hampson where he is going in a redraft. Too much PT risk. In a dynasty, I tried to hedge my bets with Hampson by acquiring Hilliard. Obviously risk both miss, but I like the chance via trade, injury or performance one or the other becomes fantasy relevant. Or the two could be in some sort of psuedo-platoon (maybe not with each other) that could prove useful in a daily transaction league with deep benches. Both are projected in the 300 AB, and likely one or the other will be in the lineup most games. "Platoon" could produce around a 20 HR/ 30SB .260 type hitter.  Wouldn't go out and try to pay for such an arrangement at current market price, but if you have Hampson and want to hedge your bet, might make sense. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

Steals. enough said.

Nothing to do with him better a better hitter or anything.

Yeah but Hampson is likely to fall shy of 500 PAs in 2020.  Last year in 444 PAs (327 in the MLB and 117 in AAA) he stole 22 bases.  Extrapolate it over (let's be optimistic) 550 PAs and you get 27 SBs.  Plus why run at Coors?  Why run when the pitcher can bunt him over?  I'd be taking the under on that generous 27 SBs all day.

So are those steals really worth it for a 7/8 hitter with minimal power who isn't playing every day?  I guess it depends on your league and how late you get Hampson.  But I'm going to venture to guess that McMahon in almost all formats nets more overall production let alone being a better bargain ADP wise.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure Hampson improves as a hitter but I just think that McMahon takes a much bigger leap forward in 2020.  30+ HRs, with a .270 average, with an increased walk rate, hitting 5th all season at Coors could end up being a top 50 bat.  A healthy Dahl with a McMahon breakout could really suppress Hampson's playing time.  Even if Hampson can get an edge on Hilliard he's still hitting at the bottom of the lineup and not playing every day.  Hampson's value may grow mid season (especially if an injury arises) but to start the season it's looking like he's on the wrong end of a platoon.

If Hampson can secure a leadoff role I'd be much more interested.  But if that even does ever happen it could very likely take months to materialize and then be taken away after a small slump.  Chances are you're burning the 170th pick of the draft for one of your first drops.  We will see though spring training could change a lot of this.  But as of right now Hampson is clearly on the outside looking in.

Edited by FouLLine

Unless you're in a a 15 teamer or so where yuo can stash, I would probably be passing on Hampson, but I think he becomes a pretty hot pickup at some point for ROS, don't know when it happens though.  He found his groove with consistent playing time, so while I like the upside and I'm in on him, I certainly see the appeal of passing in 12 < because he could be on the wire in a week or two.

Here's a really good article on him from last offseason.  I'm simply not willing to just write it off, plenty of guys I liked needed a year or two to get there, so one frustrating year in a frustrating org isn't going to push me off someone.  I like McMahon too, roto upside though Hampson has him beat but McMahon is likely the better hitter, but I'm also not willing to put that in stone. 

https://www.pitcherlist.com/going-deep-garrett-hampson-the-future-fantasy-rock-star/

Edited by brockpapersizer

4 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Yeah but Hampson is likely to fall shy of 500 PAs in 2020.  Last year in 444 PAs (327 in the MLB and 117 in AAA) he stole 22 bases.  Extrapolate it over (let's be optimistic) 550 PAs and you get 27 SBs.  Plus why run at Coors?  Why run when the pitcher can bunt him over?  I'd be taking the under on that generous 27 SBs all day.

So are those steals really worth it for a 7/8 hitter with minimal power who isn't playing every day?  I guess it depends on your league and how late you get Hampson.  But I'm going to venture to guess that McMahon in almost all formats nets more overall production let alone being a better bargain ADP wise.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure Hampson improves as a hitter but I just think that McMahon takes a much bigger leap forward in 2020.  30+ HRs, with a .270 average, with an increased walk rate, hitting 5th all season at Coors could end up being a top 50 bat.  A healthy Dahl with a McMahon breakout could really suppress Hampson's playing time.  Even if Hampson can get an edge on Hilliard he's still hitting at the bottom of the lineup and not playing every day.  Hampson's value may grow mid season (especially if an injury arises) but to start the season it's looking like he's on the wrong end of a platoon.

If Hampson can secure a leadoff role I'd be much more interested.  But if that even does ever happen it could very likely take months to materialize and then be taken away after a small slump.  Chances are you're burning the 170th pick of the draft for one of your first drops.  We will see though spring training could change a lot of this.  But as of right now Hampson is clearly on the outside looking in.

There is something we will never see

While his ADP is too high, I get why there's buzz:

- Finished 2019 scorching hot

- Has speed

- Plays for the Rockies

- Rockies have an unsettled OF situation

- Dahl will be broken at some point

I feel it's Hilliard (and maybe Desmond?) he's in competition with, not McMahon. The Rockies infield is pretty well settled provided Arenado isn't moved. LF or CF, depending on where they play Dahl, is his clearest path to playing time, at least to start the year.

29 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

While his ADP is too high, I get why there's buzz:

- Finished 2019 scorching hot

- Has speed

- Plays for the Rockies

- Rockies have an unsettled OF situation

- Dahl will be broken at some point

I feel it's Hilliard (and maybe Desmond?) he's in competition with, not McMahon. The Rockies infield is pretty well settled provided Arenado isn't moved. LF or CF, depending on where they play Dahl, is his clearest path to playing time, at least to start the year.

We’re all guessing here which is why opinions on him are so varied, but my guess is their opening day lineup will be Desmond, Dahl, and Blackmon in the outfield with Murphy, McMahon, Story, and Arenado around the infield. I could see Hilliard being the 4th outfielder and Hampson being a super utility guy. Sadly, Desmond is under contract for 2 more years and I don’t think they’d bury him on the bench anytime soon. Maybe Hampson could overtake McMahon with a huge spring, but McMahon turns into Barry Bonds every March.

Of course an Arenado trade would change everything and McMahon would shift to 3rd and Hampson would probably be in line for an everyday 2nd basemen role.

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

We’re all guessing here which is why opinions on him are so varied, but my guess is their opening day lineup will be Desmond, Dahl, and Blackmon in the outfield with Murphy, McMahon, Story, and Arenado around the infield. I could see Hilliard being the 4th outfielder and Hampson being a super utility guy. Sadly, Desmond is under contract for 2 more years and I don’t think they’d bury him on the bench anytime soon. Maybe Hampson could overtake McMahon with a huge spring, but McMahon turns into Barry Bonds every March.

Of course an Arenado trade would change everything and McMahon would shift to 3rd and Hampson would probably be in line for an everyday 2nd basemen role.

1) Arenado getting traded likely brings a major league bat back 

2)  considering Ian Desmond has had a negative fWar for three consecutive years, the only thing dumber  than playing Ian Desmond most days would be trading for Ian Desmond. Don't know what playing him accomplishes even with his contract. They won't cut him, but they should, I'm optimistic he won't play regularly. Teams are pretty smart now, nobody wants to trade for Ian Desmond no matter how he starts the year. 

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

1) Arenado getting traded likely brings a major league bat back 

2)  considering Ian Desmond has had a negative fWar for three consecutive years, the only thing dumber  than playing Ian Desmond most days would be trading for Ian Desmond. Don't know what playing him accomplishes even with his contract. They won't cut him, but they should, I'm optimistic he won't play regularly. Teams are pretty smart now, nobody wants to trade for Ian Desmond no matter how he starts the year. 

I’m not arguing that Desmond deserves any playing time - he’s pretty terrible and of course no one is trading for him. I don’t have any faith in the Rockies doing the right thing with him though and I’d be willing to bet he starts over 100 games for them this year unless he gets hurt.

Brendan rogers is ready for a real spot also. Nobody has more useless old guys than the Rockies.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

Brendan rogers is ready for a real spot also. Nobody has more useless old guys than the Rockies.

It's mindboggling that they signed so many of them.

On 1/23/2020 at 5:58 AM, hailfire4 said:

Rodgers is recovering from a surgery on his right labrum.  Even if he's 100% ready for spring training it is an extremely high likelihood that he starts the season in AAA.  They're going to play it slow and safe with him and with their depth there is no reason to rush him.

On 1/23/2020 at 6:58 AM, hailfire4 said:

Any day now I'm expecting them to bring back Mark Reynolds 

Edited by FantasyFiend
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FantasyFiend said:

Any day now I'm expecting them to bring back Andres Gallaraga

• Haha 2

On 1/22/2020 at 4:49 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Unless you're in a a 15 teamer or so where yuo can stash, I would probably be passing on Hampson, but I think he becomes a pretty hot pickup at some point for ROS, don't know when it happens though.  He found his groove with consistent playing time, so while I like the upside and I'm in on him, I certainly see the appeal of passing in 12 < because he could be on the wire in a week or two.

Here's a really good article on him from last offseason.  I'm simply not willing to just write it off, plenty of guys I liked needed a year or two to get there, so one frustrating year in a frustrating org isn't going to push me off someone.  I like McMahon too, roto upside though Hampson has him beat but McMahon is likely the better hitter, but I'm also not willing to put that in stone. 

https://www.pitcherlist.com/going-deep-garrett-hampson-the-future-fantasy-rock-star/

McMahon is the better bet, Hampson is a punch and judy hitter, some of the weakest hard rate contact in the league.His speed will get him on the field, but you have to take advantage of Coors by putting guys in the lineup who can drive the ball. 

3 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

McMahon is the better bet, Hampson is a punch and judy hitter, some of the weakest hard rate contact in the league.His speed will get him on the field, but you have to take advantage of Coors by putting guys in the lineup who can drive the ball. 

I think Hampson is a better hitter than he showed based on his 2019 cumulative stats. Both should be in the lineup regularly.

I thought he figured things out during the last month and a half of the season...I'm buying, I just love his upside 902 OPS in Spetember

Edited by hockeyfan77

Hampson has an okay contact rate in AA/AAA, but at the major leagues so far has had a very hard time making contact (sub- Mallex Smith quality.)  There is a risk he is a bench player long term.  Coors might be the saving grace that makes him valuable in fantasy.

I am more interested in somebody like Tommy Edman, who has a rookie still had a contact rate over 80% at the MLB level, which is very solid.  He is also nearly as fast as Hampson, and rarely gets caught stealing.

Edited by Hellgrammite

Again an Arenado trade might bring in an infielder, so it’s impossible to say a trade opens it up .

Murphy only has one more year on his deal , if he hits anything like he did last year he’ll be sitting often soon enough since he’s a bad defender.