jfazz23

Garrett Hampson 2020 Outlook

This is my first year on the hampson train, why is he at 60% owned if he never plays. Scott white from cbs hyped him up so I drafted him but he only has started 2 out of 6 games

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kramjam24 said:

This is my first year on the hampson train, why is he at 60% owned if he never plays. Scott white from cbs hyped him up so I drafted him but he only has started 2 out of 6 games

Colorado has the worst track record ever in MLB when it comes to NOT playing their younger and better players over their dried up and over-the-hill vets.  Trevor Story is the last younger player NOT to get screwed somehow by the "Rockies Way" of collecting rocking chair players and putting them in their starting line-ups.  That leads to the now traffic jam of younger players all backed up fighting for the scraps.

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2020 at 8:55 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Colorado has the worst track record ever in MLB when it comes to NOT playing their younger and better players over their dried up and over-the-hill vets.  Trevor Story is the last younger player NOT to get screwed somehow by the "Rockies Way" of collecting rocking chair players and putting them in their starting line-ups.  That leads to the now traffic jam of younger players all backed up fighting for the scraps.

In fairness, Hamspon hasn't done much in the opportunities he's had to prove he deserves more playing time.  Every talks about how awful Ian Desmond has been for the Rockies (and he has been terrible no doubt).  Desmond's career slash with the Rockies is .252 BA, .313 OBP, .429 SLG.  Hampson's career slash is .252 BA, .314 OBP, .387 SLG.  So he's basically been Desmond with less power so far.  Hampson is good at stealing bases, but that's a skill that is far more valuable in fantasy than in real life.

• Like 2

Matt Kemp has 9 Abs this year Hampson has 10. Not sure why the Rockies take every geezer they can find and play em over the kids? Decrepit must be a positive in Rockies scouting reports.

• Haha 1

A manager plays the veteran and the player does poorly it is the player failing. The rookie plays and does poorly it is the managers fault for not putting him in a position to succeed. How many of us would be themselves in the position of accepting the blame?

4 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

Rockies with 3 straight games against a lefty SP, he could get an extended look here to show what he can do...

Lets hope so, if nothing else could show case him as a trade chip.

On 8/2/2020 at 12:32 PM, Weekday Warrior said:

I think he deserves an extended look, numerous guys he is competing with for playing time are under-whelming

If Chris Owings is stealing playing from Hampson oh my it seems to me you better look elsewhere 

13 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

Rockies with 3 straight games against a lefty SP, he could get an extended look here to show what he can do...

My prediction Hampson starts one game .. 

Just now, pedubwitat said:

Leading off second game in a row

Good to see.

2 hours ago, pedubwitat said:

Leading off second game in a row

Both against lefties.  Still very unlikely he starts when there's a RHP on the mound.

On 8/7/2020 at 8:58 AM, shakestreet said:

If Chris Owings is stealing playing from Hampson oh my it seems to me you better look elsewhere 

My prediction Hampson starts one game .. 

Wrong 

Posted (edited)

Starting again today vs a rhp, this is like 5 straight starts. I'm getting excited.

Edited by Topgun
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Topgun said:

Starting again today vs a rhp, this is like 5 straight starts. I'm getting excited.

All aboard the hype train ... 

Dude's peripherals are excellent this season and Rockies management are taking notice.

He has the skills to be a major impact 5x5 roto stud down the stretch. Hopefully he stays hot.

• Like 1

I still maintain that drafting Hampson around pick 160 was a terrible decision, but now that I’ve scooped him up for free off a bunch of waiver wires, let’s go!

Top 15 in the MLB in xWOBA with 99th percentile speed and playing half his games in Coors???

If he's leading off full-time, which seems to be the trend now, that is a recipe for a star.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

Top 15 in the MLB in xWOBA with 99th percentile speed and playing half his games in Coors???

If he's leading off full-time, which seems to be the trend now, that is a recipe for a star.

Just traded for him lets get it! Dont F this up Bud Black.

Edited by TTRA1N

I'd love for the Rockies to actually give Hampson a chance. But I'm dubious, cause it's the Rockies. Also, the prior five (5) games were all against lefties. Seriously, who gets 5 lefties in a row? He did get a start today against a righty. But I wonder if it's short lived. We're still talking about less than 30 official at bats on the season and a guy that's been largely sheltered against righties thus far. We'll see what comes of it

14 hours ago, Jericho said:

I'd love for the Rockies to actually give Hampson a chance. But I'm dubious, cause it's the Rockies. Also, the prior five (5) games were all against lefties. Seriously, who gets 5 lefties in a row? He did get a start today against a righty. But I wonder if it's short lived. We're still talking about less than 30 official at bats on the season and a guy that's been largely sheltered against righties thus far. We'll see what comes of it

Just be happy he is at the top of the lineup again, and against a RHP...