brickcitymamba

Justise Winslow 2019-2020 Outlook

Hoping he plays Wednesday. Honestly just need his 10+ppg and 5+ apg and some stocks here and there - he can shoot 40% from the field and free throw for all I care, just need them assists/stocks man...

Been feeling crazy holding this guy for weeks outside of my occupied IL slot.  Those first few games worth of stat lines were too tantalizing, and while they were without Butler I can't help but think he's got a lot of potential with the way this team is performing.  Glad to see he's finally returning to practice Tuesday!

Seen Spo say before the game that he hasn't had to make any tough decisions about playing time but mentioned that day is coming soon for him 

Ok so I just noticed the first 3 games he started at Forward, of course that was without Butler. The following 2 games he started at Guard and one of those starts was alongside Butler in the backcourt. (By the way that was Butlers only start at Guard).  Anyways will be interesting what Spo has in mind when referring to upcoming tough decisions. 

Have to wonder if Winslow might come off bench or maybe Nunn? I know Spo like Winslow with Herro. 

Edited by Bugs bunny

Who's the better fit in the starting 5, Nunn or Winslow? 

Are we expecting a: Winslow, Herro, Butler, Leonard, Adebayo starting 5 if he does start?

8 minutes ago, MysticPeak said:

Who's the better fit in the starting 5, Nunn or Winslow? 

Are we expecting a: Winslow, Herro, Butler, Leonard, Adebayo starting 5 if he does start?

Good question. Honestly I’m not sure what to expect besides Butler and Bam. 

-Butler is now questionable for Wed. with hangover and Winslow is going to be limited so we may have to wait for answers. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Ok so I just noticed the first 3 games he started at Forward, of course that was without Butler. The following 2 games he started at Guard and one of those starts was alongside Butler in the backcourt. (By the way that was Butlers only start at Guard).  Anyways will be interesting what Spo has in mind when referring to upcoming tough decisions. 

Have to wonder if Winslow might come off bench or maybe Nunn? I know Spo like Winslow with Herro. 

Not too worried about bench/starter questions tbh. I feel like Spo loves Winslow and will find a way to get him minutes. 

Aside from Buckets and Bam I think he's the only Heat player you can really say that about. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Eltoro said:

Not too worried about bench/starter questions tbh. I feel like Spo loves Winslow and will find a way to get him minutes. 

Aside from Buckets and Bam I think he's the only Heat player you can really say that about. 

Best spot for Winslow is off the bench as the point forward and Dragic can be the off ball shooter. Can't have more than 2 that can't shoot the 3 like the Spurs

55 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

Best spot for Winslow is off the bench as the point forward and Dragic can be the off ball shooter. Can't have more than 2 that can't shoot the 3 like the Spurs

Winslow shot 37.5% from 3 on four attempts a game last year. I'm sure Spo will be fine with that given what Winslow offers in terms of size and playmaking.  

I would guess that it ends up being Nunn/Butler/Winslow/Meyers/Bam as the starting five once everyone is healthy. Maybe Olynyk starts over Meyers at some point.  

2 hours ago, Sfektz said:

What do we project his ROS numbers will be?

Honestly hard to predict with all the newness in Miami.  Butler, the rookies playing so well so early, Bam coming on.  We have to see exactly how his role and minutes shake out, but with all the capable offensive players they have he could easily pile up assists like in his first few games.  He's a bigger guy who can be decent at rebounding, and he is known for his defense so hopefully there are some stocks.  And while I guess he's not the greatest knockdown shooter he can hit the three.

I know there was pretty much no projection there and that's as vague as it gets, but I think they're a lot of ceiling for him.  I've been holding him for a few weeks with my eye on those first three games' stats, though that's being ambitious as those games were without Butler around.

Whatever the case if you have him you'll want to give him some leash as they ease him back in.  He'll probably be minutes restricted for a few games and may not immediately start.  But if you have a spot I think he's worth getting ahead of with a pickup before he starts making noise.

Edited by CharlesCC2

I think he'll be trash this season honestly. Bam and Butler are the 2 best playmakers and Dragic off the bench to a lesser extent. Winslow needs the ball to provide value as his % are horrendous

Some insight from a heat beat reporter 

Q: Ira, what happens when Justise Winslow comes back? -- Paul.

A: He tries to play lockdown defense. He tries to push the ball and make plays. He shoots standstill 3-pointers when left open. Now, if you're asking about where he slots back into the rotation, that's a more complicated answer. That could come down to how Duncan Robinson is playing when Winslow is again capable of starter's minutes. That doesn't figure to be immediately, based on the time missed. I still believe that Justise would be better suited to the second unit that has the shooting of Goran Dragic, Tyler Herro and Kelly Olynyk, which would leave Jimmy Butler to play off the shooting of Robinson, Kendrick Nunn and Meyers Leonard in the first unit. But, again, we're not privy to how Erik Spoelstra is tinkering with his lineups during practices. So perhaps there's an unseen answer yet to be unveiled, now that Winslow again will be on the practice court.

Edited by kilslo

Spo has always valued him. He'll get plenty of playing time either way. Good thing is he's so versatile he can suck up minutes from every position except center

I think he starts out off the bench and if the starting line up keeps producing he may stay there but still get close to 30 minutes

• Like 1

Butler out tonight, interesting.  Wondering whether Winslow maybe gets a few more minutes then they wanted to give him in his first game back.

3 minutes ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Butler out tonight, interesting.  Wondering whether Winslow maybe gets a few more minutes then they wanted to give him in his first game back.

Spo is staggering Butler and Winslow lol

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, brickcitymamba said:

On the bright side, 34 minutes right out of the gate.

Exactly, was going to come in and say so much for that minutes restriction.  He was supposedly missing shots at the rim but people are chalking it up to rust.  Heat fans are ecstatic to have him back and say it's clear he's still one of the best players on the team and they're pulling for him and Herro to start.

Expecting much better days as Winslow gets his game legs back and gets used to playing with Butler.

• Like 2

just got him off the wire 

i’m thinking he can co-exist with butler .. i’m more so worried about nunn. i think there might be a timeshare coming between the 2 at point guard, which sucks for me because i own both. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, WHIRtrade said:

why he playing so little and on 2nd line

To answer the first part, I'm guessing its because Spo played him far more than he wanted the other night.  I figure he's dialing his minutes back to offset that game as he's easing him back in.  He even said in a post game interview that he did not mean to play him that many minutes in his first game back (34 minutes).

As for whether he'll go back into the starting lineup or what the rotations will look like, I guess we'll have to wait and see.  Bottom line is its his second game back and it was hardly a contest so I think we have to give him a few more games to see how things shake out.