Sign in to follow this  
XC23

Picking 3rd - First 4 Rounds - WHIR

I am picking 3rd in a 10 team H2H draft (snake) and am trying to figure out my first 4 rounds (I usually like to build on the strengths of my first round pick with my second and third and then pivot with my 4th pick).

As I am drafting 3rd here are the potential scenarios I am considering:

Option 1: 3rd Overall: Curry, 18th Overall: Kyrie, PG, Kemba, 23rd overall: Booker, Fox 38th Overall: Markanen, Love, Tatum - Focus in Option 1 would be to focus on 3PTM, Pts, FT%, Assists, maybe steals - punt on Blocks

Option 2: 3rd Overall: Giannis, 18th Overall: Westbrook, Doncic, Gobert, 23rd Overall: Simmons, Fox, 38th Overall: Capella, Hield - Focus in Option 2 would be to punt FT% and build on Assists, Pts, Rebs, FG% - maybe Blocks depending on 2nd round choice

Option 3: 3rd Overall: AD, 18th Overall: Kemba, Gobert, 23rd Overall: Vucevic, Fox, Booker, Turner 38th Overall: Turner, Kristaps - Focus in Option 3 would be to build on Pts, Rebs, Blocks, FT%,, FG% (potentially)

I am relatively happy with my Option 1 and 2 above - although welcome all thoughts on it.  Having a hard-time figuring out how to build (the way I like to) with AD, so would appreciate some thoughts on Option 3 and which direction to go int he unlikely event AD lasts to #3.

Leave a link WHIR.

I like option 1 the best if Curry falls to you. Feels unlikely that AD will fall to you at 3 so I wouldn't worry too much about option 3 but in case he does, youll be lucky to get him there. I'd take AD, then a guard. Why would you not pair kryie with AD for option 3? Then you can go after another big or guard for the next two rounds.

You really don't have KAT in your top 3?  He's basically the same as AD without the injury/rest concerns.

then again even if injuries matter in H2H, 10-team leagues are pretty shallow so they ca make up for injuries.

I like your option #1, but I'd consider taking bigs like Collins and T Bryant over K Love and Markenan since you said you're punting blocks but not FG%.

Just saw your reply to my post so not sure if you drafted already but I like option 3 though assuming AD is not there I'd go with number 1 and grab Curry and either Kemba or Irving after and then either Fox or Booker looks solid in 3rd.

Take a look in the HC thread draft strats guide; the posters there have some good advice regarding punting/picking.

Basically, feel free to plan all you want, but also plan for your plan to fail.  My personal advice is to punt if the right players fall to you, rather than planning to punt outright.  Smart fantasy owners will block you if they see you're clearly doing so in a draft, and also most fantasy owners think similarly (planned punting), so planning to punt can suck when 2-3 of you are doing the exact same thing and gunning for certain players, which will destroy all your teams.  I'm saying this because it looks like you're possibly preparing to do so, and overload on certain cats.  Just get the best players you can and fill holes on your team rather than open them wider. All that being said, punting is a viable strat; I'm just saying that you shouldn't go into a draft planning to do so.

Anyway ...

Option 1: Not really a fan of grabbing multiple PGs in the first few rounds; IMHO it's always easier to get them later, rather than bigs (Also, you're gunning for 3 straight PG/guard positions ... what happens if you are FORCED to reach for bigs in the 4th-5th just because you drafted all smalls?).  Kemba/PG should be available, but even in a 10-teamer, it's probably not likely that Kyrie would be.  I'd actually aim for Drummond - yes, he tanks your FT%, but he also fills Curry's weaknesses, and the latter's FT% should balance Drummond's.  If you don't like that, Gobert could be a decent substitute.  If you follow that path, it's easier to get Fox/Booker if you want them.  Don't like any of your 4th round picks.  In fact, Fox fell to 4th round and Zion to 3rd in my 12-teamer; perhaps you could try Curry/Drummond/Booker and just pick best available in the 4th.

Option 2: I don't have much to say, since the players you picked are no-brainer punt strat guys and could very well fall to where you want them.  Just a word of warning - don't overload on the punt.  Just because the guy fits your punt doesn't mean you need to reach for him.  Secondly, the players you're looking for are REALLY popular.  What happens if someone thinks just like you, and goes Lebron/Doncic or Embiid/Westy (and Gobert can fit most strats anyway)?  Giannis only really hurts FT%, so it's okay if someone who doesn't fit your punt strat is available there (e.g. Trae would fit with Giannis too).

Option 3: If you get AD ... just get good players, period.  Him falling to you means you got arguably the best player in the draft and as long as you grab assists and treys somewhere (yeah, I'd grab a PG in the second round), just use your brain and enjoy the draft.

I'd also strongly consider KAT at that point.  Probably one of the most well-rounded players at that price point and very safe since he's not in danger of injury-risk. Boring, but he's also the type of player that you don't need to worry about drafting around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MWon said:

Take a look in the HC thread draft strats guide; the posters there have some good advice regarding punting/picking.

Basically, feel free to plan all you want, but also plan for your plan to fail.  My personal advice is to punt if the right players fall to you, rather than planning to punt outright.  Smart fantasy owners will block you if they see you're clearly doing so in a draft, and also most fantasy owners think similarly (planned punting), so planning to punt can suck when 2-3 of you are doing the exact same thing and gunning for certain players, which will destroy all your teams.  I'm saying this because it looks like you're possibly preparing to do so, and overload on certain cats.  Just get the best players you can and fill holes on your team rather than open them wider. All that being said, punting is a viable strat; I'm just saying that you shouldn't go into a draft planning to do so.

Anyway ...

Option 1: Not really a fan of grabbing multiple PGs in the first few rounds; IMHO it's always easier to get them later, rather than bigs (Also, you're gunning for 3 straight PG/guard positions ... what happens if you are FORCED to reach for bigs in the 4th-5th just because you drafted all smalls?).  Kemba/PG should be available, but even in a 10-teamer, it's probably not likely that Kyrie would be.  I'd actually aim for Drummond - yes, he tanks your FT%, but he also fills Curry's weaknesses, and the latter's FT% should balance Drummond's.  If you don't like that, Gobert could be a decent substitute.  If you follow that path, it's easier to get Fox/Booker if you want them.  Don't like any of your 4th round picks.  In fact, Fox fell to 4th round and Zion to 3rd in my 12-teamer; perhaps you could try Curry/Drummond/Booker and just pick best available in the 4th.

Option 2: I don't have much to say, since the players you picked are no-brainer punt strat guys and could very well fall to where you want them.  Just a word of warning - don't overload on the punt.  Just because the guy fits your punt doesn't mean you need to reach for him.  Secondly, the players you're looking for are REALLY popular.  What happens if someone thinks just like you, and goes Lebron/Doncic or Embiid/Westy (and Gobert can fit most strats anyway)?  Giannis only really hurts FT%, so it's okay if someone who doesn't fit your punt strat is available there (e.g. Trae would fit with Giannis too).

Option 3: If you get AD ... just get good players, period.  Him falling to you means you got arguably the best player in the draft and as long as you grab assists and treys somewhere (yeah, I'd grab a PG in the second round), just use your brain and enjoy the draft.

I'd also strongly consider KAT at that point.  Probably one of the most well-rounded players at that price point and very safe since he's not in danger of injury-risk. Boring, but he's also the type of player that you don't need to worry about drafting around.

Thanks for the great response

With respect to the Curry Option what about going: 3rd: Curry, 18th: Gobert/Drummond, 23rd: Trae Young/Booker/Fox, 38th: Love, Capela, Markanen, Hield

Yeah, Curry/Drummond/Trae/Capela would be a sweet combo.  I think it's just smarter to balance efficiency than to either punt or be elite in it, especially if it's only one cat (FT%).  Also, if you whiff on Trae in the 3rd, I'd try to find a big in there (mayhaps Zion might be available?) and then go Hield in the 4th.

Dude, dont do punt drafts. Learn to balance first.

Since you are at 3, take an elite big man (AD/KAT/Giannis)

The next round on the turn you can take Vucevic or Ayton and pair them with someone like Jrue or Kemba.

Its easy after that, there will be guards but dont ruin the efficiency of your bigs. 

Edited by Snatch

Well ended up getting AD at #3 - which was a bit of a shock (Giannis went #1 and Curry #2) - I debated KAT and Harden at #3, but couldn't let AD slip past me ...... team ended up as follows:

Point Guards: Trae Young, De-Aaron Fox, Ja Morant

Shooting Guards: Buddy Hield, JJ Redick, Eric Gordon

Small Forward: Kuzma, Fournier, Prince

Power Forward: AD, Julius Randle, Tobias Harris.

Centre: Whiteside, Jarret Allen, Kanter

Overall pleased - got sniped a few times, but overall I like the team - although it is somewhat predicated on Trae Young, Fox, Hield, and Randle - living up to the hype/progressing as planned.