colepenhagen

Steven Adams 2019-2020 Outlook

He looks much slower in games - not that he was very speedy but it looks like that knee is still very clearly bugging him. I suspect it being some sort of bone bruise (especially since it's the knee which is very susceptible to those) if it's still affecting him for this long. 

He may still be worth holding with a IR if he eventually gets time off, but it's becoming more of a pain to hold him in any league. Very tempted to drop him for a second streaming spot, which is a shame since I was hoping he'd be a nice end of bench glue guy even with the low minutes.

Edited by m1dday

Billy Donovan said that Steven Adams is still recovering from the left knee contusion that sidelined him for three games earlier this month.

"Obviously we're dealing with Steven's knee still," Donovan said after Tuesday's game, explaining his decision to close with Nerlens Noel over Adams. "I don't want to say he's on a minutes restriction, but we're trying to be mindful and keep him in a range." Adams is averaging just 26.3 minutes per game this season, which is his lowest MPG average since 2015. It's also concerning that the knee is still bothering him, and if it continues to affect his play, he may need to consider surgical intervention. He also appears to be locked into a bit of a timeshare with Noel, so quite a few things are going wrong at the moment.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

Billy Donovan said that Steven Adams is still recovering from the left knee contusion that sidelined him for three games earlier this month.

"Obviously we're dealing with Steven's knee still," Donovan said after Tuesday's game, explaining his decision to close with Nerlens Noel over Adams. "I don't want to say he's on a minutes restriction, but we're trying to be mindful and keep him in a range." Adams is averaging just 26.3 minutes per game this season, which is his lowest MPG average since 2015. It's also concerning that the knee is still bothering him, and if it continues to affect his play, he may need to consider surgical intervention. He also appears to be locked into a bit of a timeshare with Noel, so quite a few things are going wrong at the moment.

holding onto nerlens. chanting surgery, surgery, surgery in my head for adams

Adam's was never that good offensively. He had westbrook's impeccable ability to get him the ball with open layups to thank for that. Prime CP could get it done but current CP, schroder and shai can't get him the looks Westbrook alone could. Noel looks like the better player in every regard minus rebounds. Grab noel if you can. Adam's worth holding for sure though. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, johnval1362 said:

Adam's was never that good offensively. He had westbrook's impeccable ability to get him the ball with open layups to thank for that. Prime CP could get it done but current CP, schroder and shai can't get him the looks Westbrook alone could. Noel looks like the better player in every regard minus rebounds. Grab noel if you can. Adam's worth holding for sure though. 

I don't think that entirely accurate. he improved and had decent touch around the rim with a floater and hook (left and right)

he obviously isnt going to be creating his own shot off the dribble but if he got the ball in the low post he could finish. 

Edited by colepenhagen

Don't look now...but this is the Steven Adams we wanted when we drafted him.

Finally. This is the real Adams. Two wins in a row with his double double. Kmon coach more minutes!

Steven Adams hit 6-of-7 shots and 5-of-6 free throws for 17 points, 10 rebounds, two assists, a steal and two blocks in 28 minutes of Sunday's win over the Pelicans.

Advice: Well looks there... After struggling mightily for most of the season and on the verge of being dropped by desperate dumb and frustrated 1st time owners, Adams has now double-doubled in three of his last four games games and scored a season-high 22 points on Nov. 22. In other words, he's turned it around and looks good again. His knee had been bothering him and he's destroyed the Pelicans both times they've played this season, but he looks healthy and back on track. Make sure he wasn't dropped in your league.

Pelicans fan here. Don’t mean to be a buzzkill but we have the worst interior defense in the league and it isn’t even close 

• Like 1

How’s Adams knee? I read some surgery talks earlier but that seems to have quieted down. Will OKC be able to trade him with his current contract? I feel like if they don’t, he’ll be given several rest days after the all star break. 

10 minutes ago, 7614 said:

How’s Adams knee? I read some surgery talks earlier but that seems to have quieted down. Will OKC be able to trade him with his current contract? I feel like if they don’t, he’ll be given several rest days after the all star break. 

If he is fully healthy, no reason to rest him down the line, he’s only 26. 

Definitely looked faster in recent games plus he’s generally an iron man aside from this knee issue, almost never misses games in his career so far. 

1 hour ago, m1dday said:

If he is fully healthy, no reason to rest him down the line, he’s only 26. 

Definitely looked faster in recent games plus he’s generally an iron man aside from this knee issue, almost never misses games in his career so far. 

Yeah but if they can’t trade him they will stagnate his minutes and give him load management. Especially if his knee is still bothering him. With his contract, other teams not needing bigs and current production it wouldn’t be a surprise if they couldn’t find a suitor. Things like bone bruises and knee ailments don’t just go away. 

Edited by 7614

3 minutes ago, 7614 said:

Yeah but if they can’t trade him they will stagnate his minutes and give him load management. Especially if his knee is still bothering him. With his contract, other teams not needing bigs and current production it wouldn’t be a surprise if they couldn’t find a suitor. Things like bone bruises and knee ailments don’t just go away. 

Good point - all speculation for now though. Public information says it was a contusion but also suspiciously looks like a bone bruise considering how slowed down he's been. His value is definitely in danger if he doesn't get traded

Back to his old ways, maybe even an improvement in fts? Playing like a beast against the Pacers right now

• Like 1

That's the Adams we all have been waiting for. Hopefully he'll keep up the pace of those recent games.

Benched him in weekly league as i didnt like the matchups. But thrilled to see his performance against a quality team. wasnt sure if his numbers were inflated last week because of weak opponents or that he finally turned a corner. His performance against turner is very encouraging.

Okay so it turns out that I am not dumb for believing in this guy and he can actually ball. 22-11-2 steals - 4 blocks. Omg aquaman me up. I just aqua'd all over my pants. Keep it going big felllaaa. 

Not to mention 2 assists. One of which was of the clutch muthaf***in variety. 

Edited by chickennuggets
  • Haha 1

giphy.gif

So glad I held faith and didn't try to sell low when he almost got jumped by Nerlens Noel...

• Like 1