Smoketheclay

Kicker Strategy

Now that we are at week 6, it seems there is enough data around kicker points.

What are everyone’s thoughts about playing a an average kicker vs a team that gives up a lot of kicker points or a top kicker vs a team that doesn’t give up a lot of points.

in other words, should kickers be treated like defenses (streaming)?

I don’t think their usage is predictable enough to stream. I actually prefer to go without a kicker for most of the season and have an extra roster spot. If it looks like the matchup is close enough where a kicker will actually make the difference between winning and losing (very rare), then I’ll drop one of my scrubs and pick one up before the Sunday or Monday night games.

Edited by kraftwrk_5
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Kickers I like: good to great offense, relatively faster pace, middling red zone success rate. If one of these factors is lower, it can be made up for in another (Zane Gonzalez...okay offense, but terrible red zone  rate makes up fort)

41 minutes ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

I don’t think their usage is predictable enough to stream. I actually prefer to go without a kicker for most of the season and have an extra roster spot. If it looks like the matchup is close enough where a kicker will actually make the difference between winning and losing (very rare), then I’ll drop one of my scrubs and pick one up before the Sunday or Monday night games.

How do you make the playoffs when you’re giving up 4-14 points each week?

• Like 2

I think streaming kickers would be too much work for very little payoff, would prefer to get attached to a kicker I like for the year.

For the most part I use a lot of Footballoutsiders analytics to determine kickers I want to use.  Their offensive drive/pace stats are wonderful identifiers imo.  Check it out here: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff/2019

What I look for is primarily TD/drive + FG/drive; teams that are well ranked in both have produced the most reliable fantasy kickers in my experience (and that seems to be holding true so far this year).  Also keeping in mind numbers from other tables on the page like yards per drive, turnovers per drive. 

Edited by Bryce84

1 hour ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

This is probably the worst advice I’ve ever seen on here 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Smoketheclay said:

How do you make the playoffs when you’re giving up 4-14 points each week?

10-team league, top 8 make the playoffs. Rest of my team is solid.

2 minutes ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

10-team league, top 8 make the playoffs. Rest of my team is solid.

Those are such 2019 rules.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

In terms of kicker pickups I place far more weight on the likelihood their team will score a lot of points than how the opponent has fared against kickers. Obviously if he has a big leg that's a huge bonus. 

I usually go with a team that I suspect will win with a decent offense, RZ deficiencies and a big leg to start.

Then I wait for the byes to kick in, see who gets dropped or if someone gets hurt, and go with best offense in a dome for the stretch run.

This might be the worst advice ever. How many games have you lost by like less than 5 points? 

I saw your post after this which said 10 team league which makes it even more baffling. I personally never play 10 team leagues because every team is basically a super team. Which makes it even more baffling that you wouldn't roster a kicker. You probably have studs on the ww, why clog up a roster spot with someone who can't play and leave points off the board? 

No offense, but if you're in playoff contention, your league mates suck at fantasy. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Explain?

I think he means participation trophy for 80% of the league...

• Like 1

I've been doing the same thing and I'm undefeated thus far. That obviously doesn't mean that just because it's been working for me that it's the way for everyone else to go as well, but I'm not sure why that this is being called the “worst advice ever” by someone when kickers are mostly interchangeable aside from maybe a couple of them who are consistently solid with points, while the rest are basically just crapshoots from week to week. It's pretty simple to plan ahead and make sure to have a decent enough free agent option on standby from any of the remaining games, ready to be picked up and started after the noon slate is over with and you have a better idea of how your matchup is coming along.

• Thanks 1

Have lost exactly zero games following this strategy. And 8/10 teams in the playoffs is great. Nobody falls off the map halfway through because almost everybody is in contention until the very end. We’ve had the #7 or #8 teams rise up, get hot at the right time, and win it all. Makes for a very entertaining playoffs. Sorry that you guys are so jealous that rostering a kicker makes all the difference in your leagues. 😆 You should try it sometime. This isn’t life or death - have some fun.

1 minute ago, stigmatadiacory said:

I've been doing the same thing and I'm undefeated thus far. That obviously doesn't mean that just because it's been working for me that it's the way for everyone else to go as well, but I'm not sure why that this is being called the “worst advice ever” by someone when kickers are mostly interchangeable aside from maybe a couple of them who are consistently solid with points, while the rest are basically just crapshoots from week to week. It's pretty simple to plan ahead and make sure to have a decent enough free agent option on standby from any of the remaining games, ready to be picked up and started after the noon slate is over with and you have a better idea of how your matchup is coming along.

Yup. In a good week, a kicker gets 5-10 points in my league, whereas most good scores are between 250-300. It very rarely makes the difference between winning and losing. I’d much rather use the roster spot on a high upside flier / stash, especially early in the season. A kicker won’t win me my league, but a high-upside stash in that extra roster spot might.

• Like 1

Basically after week 4, I make sure I have a top 10 kicker and just stick with them. Once their bye comes I just drop them and monitor ww for top 10 kickers when other teams drop theirs. 

1 minute ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Yup. In a good week, a kicker gets 5-10 points in my league, whereas most good scores are between 250-300. It very rarely makes the difference between winning and losing. I’d much rather use the roster spot on a high upside flier / stash, especially early in the season. A kicker won’t win me my league, but a high-upside stash in that extra roster spot might.

250-300? What kind of stupid league is this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, kraftwrk_5 said:

whereas most good scores are between 250-300. 

IDK what your scoring format is, but it is very different than what most people do.

I don't blame you for your strategy, but it's not applicable to like 99% of people posting here.

• Like 3