BrickWalled

Mike Conley 2019-2020 Outlook

already rule out tomorrow game

Edited by kane

I think Conley is the quintessential roto point guard, but his struggles this year are beyond the norm. I used to own him a few years back and thought of him as a perfect PG1 on any roto squad. His low turnover, high steal game with moderate assists was perfect for any type of team build. 

Can someone provide some real insight on Quinn Snyder's system in Utah. I watched a few games and noticed that there is a lot of high pick-and-roll action and a lot of iso-ball between Bogdanovic and Mitchell. Almost zero ball movement. Any of this action does not benefit Conley as he needs usage in order to maintain effectiveness. Also, why are his steals down? Does Snyder not allow his guards to take chances on gambling for steals. Seems pretty weak schematically as they do have one of the best rim protectors in the league. 

Any thoughts?

8 minutes ago, lipperskoal said:

I think Conley is the quintessential roto point guard, but his struggles this year are beyond the norm. I used to own him a few years back and thought of him as a perfect PG1 on any roto squad. His low turnover, high steal game with moderate assists was perfect for any type of team build. 

Can someone provide some real insight on Quinn Snyder's system in Utah. I watched a few games and noticed that there is a lot of high pick-and-roll action and a lot of iso-ball between Bogdanovic and Mitchell. Almost zero ball movement. Any of this action does not benefit Conley as he needs usage in order to maintain effectiveness. Also, why are his steals down? Does Snyder not allow his guards to take chances on gambling for steals. Seems pretty weak schematically as they do have one of the best rim protectors in the league. 

Any thoughts?

Granted I was only able to watch 2 games of UTA this season, please take this opinion with a grain of salt, but hopefully I made sense.

I think the defense mainly revolves around funneling everything to Rudy Gobert.

You do not need to gamble as much with trying to steal the ball and manning the passing lanes.

Offensively, whenever Mike has the opportunity for PNR or spot ups, he just misses.

And now, there is lesser volume for him since Mitchell is their main offensive weapon, along with Bojan, Mike's margin of error (to produce stats) is lesser than in MEM.

Edited by SolariNatividad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, lipperskoal said:

Any thoughts?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bendowsett/2019/11/11/is-the-complexity-of-quin-snyders-system-part-of-the-utah-jazzs-slow-offensive-starts/

Great article on coach Synder's complicated offense.

This man's career is done. Over. Fin.

It's not unusual for him to be inconsistent, but this year is the first year he's been consistently trash.

He's averaging the lowest FG% of his 12-year career and he's already 32 y/o. Numbers don't lie.

Not only does he not fit well in the Jazz's system, but he also misses open looks that he usually makes. Fantasy owners at this point are better off dropping him for a streaming spot. 

Edited by grassoli

1 minute ago, grassoli said:

It's not unusual for him to be inconsistent, but this year is the first year he's been consistently trash.

Not only does he not fit well in the Jazz's system, but he also misses open looks that he usually makes. Fantasy owners at this point are better off dropping him for a streaming spot. 

Um no lol.. Yea his shot has been shaky but cmon man

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, grassoli said:

Were you born into a long line of hot take merchants and just can't help it or have you just paid insufficient attention? He's been annoying, but he's definitely sprinkled in some solid games here and there, both with and without decent FG%. The last game was of the latter sort, but he was still producing, and most of the other Jazz (who have been sucking in general) statlines were absolute gash

• Like 1

Moved him + Turner for Lowry. I got a lot of love for Conley for what he did on the Grizz, but he just looks bad this year, and the opportunity doesn't really seem to be there within the Utah system.

He is already ruled out for Monday, which will be his third consecutive absence. Why doesn't he have the injury tag on Yahoo?

1 hour ago, Ace_King said:

He is already ruled out for Monday, which will be his third consecutive absence. Why doesn't he have the injury tag on Yahoo?

Yahoo will wait until he actually miss the third game before the tag is given🤷‍♂️

Any chance ESPN is going to give him the "out" status today? Would really love to get him in an IR spot for a roster add

• Like 1

Mike Conley (left hamstring) has been ruled out for Monday's matchup with the Thunder.

The best fa's for today are missing in my league. Thanks Yahoo for your Turtle speed. 

Edited by Tonimn

37 minutes ago, Tonimn said:

Mike Conley (left hamstring) has been ruled out for Monday's matchup with the Thunder.

The best fa's for today are missing in my league. Thanks Yahoo for your Turtle speed. 

I know - I'm in a similar spot. Me and the guy I'm playing this week are tied for first and some of the top FA streamers are already gone this morning

9 hours ago, t0087669 said:

Yahoo will wait until he actually miss the third game before the tag is given🤷‍♂️

Damn. I thought they do it when it is announced. 

I'm actually considering dropping him.

My first draft picks include J Collins, T Bryant and Conley (16 teams, hence the lack of depth for first 5).  I'm on a losing streak and won't make the playoffs at this rate. My IR spot is used up.  Conley might just have to go.

2 minutes ago, DZaak said:

My first draft picks include J Collins, T Bryant and Conley (16 teams, hence the lack of depth for first 5).  I'm on a losing streak and won't make the playoffs at this rate. My IR spot is used up.  Conley might just have to go.

You gotta do what you gotta do to make playoffs.

Just know someone else in the league will scoop quickly. I’d advise on holding as the injury doesn’t seem too serious but every situation is different I understand.

6 minutes ago, DZaak said:

Hold tight you'll regret it, what's the pickup in a 16 team league, Caruso?😏

My priority is is getting some consistent end of bench guys so I can hopefully leave conley on IL for an extra couple weeks after he returns so he isn't hurting my team lol. 

1 hour ago, DezedandConfused said:

Hold tight you'll regret it, what's the pickup in a 16 team league, Caruso?😏

You're probably right, but I'm looking at another loss  this week with Collins wasting a roster spot and Bryant on IR.  I have 2 less players in a daily changes league.. It's so tough!

5 minutes ago, DZaak said:

You're probably right, but I'm looking at another loss  this week with Collins wasting a roster spot and Bryant on IR.  I have 2 less players in a daily changes league.. It's so tough!

Collins will be back in couple weeks and Bryant maybe 3-4, Conley I'd say late this week or early next week hopefully.

3 hours ago, DZaak said:

That's tough luck -- it happens.  Sometimes you just have to take the L's and hope things break in your favor down the road.  You're setting yourself back long-term by cutting an early pick, as opposed to trading him at discount.