KB24MVP

Elfrid Payton 2019-2020 Outlook

Payton is alway that low key guy that fills the stat sheet. He won’t wow you with his shooting ability but the guy is a nightly triple double threat. DSJ & Frank really don’t have anything on this kid. Like somebody mentioned above his b-ball IQ is a lot higher than those guys and ultimately he’s their starter. 

3 minutes ago, JP_Grizzly said:

Sato will be fine. I didn’t want to overreact to one game and I believe in the talent. Tough call dropping elf but I think satos role is much safer than elf. 

I think Coby White will slowly creep and have steady minutes.  

11 minutes ago, JP_Grizzly said:

Sato will be fine. I didn’t want to overreact to one game and I believe in the talent. Tough call dropping elf but I think satos role is much safer than elf. 

welp well i dropped Sato for Elfrid. I watched the game and the number of ball handlers on that team is crazy. Zach, Colby, Otto, hell Lauri brought the ball down half the time. I might have overreacted on Sato but i think he'll still be there.

10 minutes ago, lilremix328 said:

I think Coby White will slowly creep and have steady minutes.  

To me he’s better suited as a sixth man at this point. He excels more when he has the ball in his hands and putting him with the starters will take away usage from Zach and Lauri. Sato is very comfortable playing off ball that’s why I think he’s better off with the starters while they bring in coby for that spark off the bench. Sato is 6’7 I think he can move up to SG-SF to play with coby while Zach and Otto gets some rest 

6 minutes ago, stickman786 said:

welp well i dropped Sato for Elfrid. I watched the game and the number of ball handlers on that team is crazy. Zach, Colby, Otto, hell Lauri brought the ball down half the time. I might have overreacted on Sato but i think he'll still be there.

It’s the appropriate move just don’t rule out a roller coaster from fizdale. 

• Like 3

He's going to be a great source of assists and steals. Don't expect a ton of scoring out of him though.I don't know if he's THE add, but he should be rostered in 12 team leagues.

6 hours ago, Walter330i said:

Payton is alway that low key guy that fills the stat sheet. He won’t wow you with his shooting ability but the guy is a nightly triple double threat. DSJ & Frank really don’t have anything on this kid. Like somebody mentioned above his b-ball IQ is a lot higher than those guys and ultimately he’s their starter. 

Except Elf is an absolutely horrific defender which is why he shouldn't start. Fantasy stats are one thing, being a liability and dragging the whole team down whenever he's on the court is another.

It is hard to trust this kid anymore. Very injury prone, goes on funks for weeks, very up and down... When he is on, he is ON. Basically triple-double threat with some steals... But can't be trusted. He would be available and I have Schroeder as my third point, but I just can't pull the trigger. I would like, but he has gotten me way too many times... Owned him basically every season and its so rough.

Fiz really did not put guys in position to succeed. Starting Trier with 4 other scoring minded players was exactly the wrong move. Maybe if you were starting Mitch/Taj or putting him next to Frank/Payton you could start him but not w Portis and no point guard. The sub patterns were also dumb. DSJ is clearly not right, no reason to bring him first off the bench. Sitting Frank for an entire half and then throwing him in during a crucial stretch like an instant offense player when he’s the exact opposite type of guy was also stupid. Payton’s experience helped him navigate the chaos the best out of the 3

Playing without a point guard led their 4th quarter offense devolving into Morris and Randle hero ball, while RJ was ignored (Elfird was in foul trouble)

I don't see how Fiz doesn't start him next game

I'll be taking a flier on him

Poor mans rondo would be better and that’s probably still an insult to Rondo. 

starter for now though!

• Like 1

David Fizdale hinted that Elfrid Payton will be moved into the starting lineup for Friday's game against the Nets.

"Elfrid absolutely put his foot forward, took it to heart and ramped up the competition," Fizdale said following Wednesday's season opener. "Like I said, I'm going to keep an open mind of this and whoever fights their way out of the pile, that's who's going to get the nod." Allonzo Trier got the start on Wednesday, but logged just seven minutes, while Dennis Smith Jr. (10 minutes) and Frank Ntilikina (three minutes) weren't very involved at all. Payton, on the other hand, came through with 11 points, two boards, eight dimes, five steals and one triple over 26 minutes, and for now, he appears to be the PG to own in New York.

15 minutes ago, christino3286 said:

Anyone falling for this? He would be a must add right? 

Nope.  He could start and only get 10 minutes because of however Fizdale is feeling that day.  Because of Fizdale, its not worth the headache..

2 minutes ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

Nope.  He could start and only get 10 minutes because of however Fizdale is feeling that day.  Because of Fizdale, its not worth the headache..

Truth. Case in point, just last night: Allonzo Trier starts but only plays 7 minutes the entire game.

46 minutes ago, Del Rio said:

Truth. Case in point, just last night: Allonzo Trier starts but only plays 7 minutes the entire game.

46 minutes ago, Del Rio said:

Yeah but that’s is only because Payton outplayed them in every way, and he also looked good with the starting unit. Just as Fiz stuck with Mudiay for last season. He will do the same with Payton as he looks the best with the starters. 

49 minutes ago, Walter330i said:

Yeah but that’s is only because Payton outplayed them in every way, and he also looked good with the starting unit. Just as Fiz stuck with Mudiay for last season. He will do the same with Payton as he looks the best with the starters. 

This is assumption of rational coaching. Fizdale is anything but.

• Like 2

Claiming this guy off the waiver. Somebody change my mind please? I badly need a Rondo-lite. WILL IT BE WORTH IT? 

spacer.png

22 hours ago, christino3286 said:

Anyone falling for this? He would be a must add right? 

I am falling for this. There are at least 2-3 guys that he sticks with throughout the season. Last season it was Mudiay and Vonleh (Vonleh for the 1st half of the season until he couldn't handle being so good, and he just fell flat). Starting or not, they will get minutes in the high 20s. So it might be Payton and Portis/Morris this season.

Edited by MysticPeak
  • Like 3

I am too...Elf is a purer point that can facilitate this offense with the most experience...Fiz needs to show improvment and keep his job and he hasn't had stability at this vital position yet...last year he messed with the wings the most...Elf is the safest bet for PG pos....last year I had him for a late stretch and he balled out too...not a bad last player on your bench guy...not...at...all...

Edited by dfstout
  • Like 1

Heh, where are all the guys who grabbed Payton last year and won championships because he suddenly dropped 4 triple doubles in 2 weeks or something?

Seriously though, don't trust Payton (or Fizdale) at all. There are so many players Fizdale WANTS to play but aren't actually anywhere close to being stars.  DSJ/Ntilikina/Trier will all take minutes there and maybe even RJ too.  I grabbed ... doesn't mean I'm excited for it (basically just for his games today/tomorrow).

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 6:47 AM, Kriggly said:

If he could get minutes I'd be pumped.  

I think he will. He started the 2nd half a d that's where his most of his minutes came from. Now he is starting so I expect to see more minutes from him.