KB24MVP

Elfrid Payton 2019-2020 Outlook

12 minutes ago, MysticPeak said:

Let’s say he plays like last season, like, every other day triple-double and flirts with triple double in between those — where is he in the ranks? And value for value, who would you try to trade him for?

You wouldn’t try to sell him high bc he plays for a dogpoop knicks garbage team that will let him run 30-35 a night if he’s producing and playing at a high level. If he does end up flirting with crazy counting stats and produces triple doubles or close to triple doubles with some steals chimed in you’re looking at a top 60 player. 

5 minutes ago, MysticPeak said:

Let’s say he plays like last season, like, every other day triple-double and flirts with triple double in between those — where is he in the ranks? And value for value, who would you try to trade him for?

He had 6 triple double last year hardly every other day. So last year he triple doubled the very first game of the year, OCT17th.  Then he didn’t triple double again until March 10th where he triple doubled 5 games in a row. 3 out of those 5 games they were getting blown out with plenty of garbage time. So basically he had 3 solid triple doubles last year. 

Now if he were to get a triple double every other day and almost triple doubles between those then you ask where is he in the ranks? Right behind Doncic. 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, MysticPeak said:

I think it's hard to trade him right now bc if you own him, you're not willing to sell low anymore. If you're trying to trade for him, you don't want to pay top dollar for a guy you think has potential but you're not sure if it'll pan out.

Like, I would want someone like Jaylen Brown but I don't think I could get him 1:1 in a trade.

8 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

He had 6 triple double last year hardly every other day. So last year he triple doubled the very first game of the year, OCT17th.  Then he didn’t triple double again until March 10th where he triple doubled 5 games in a row. 3 out of those 5 games they were getting blown out with plenty of garbage time. So basically he had 3 solid triple doubles last year. 

Now if he were to get a triple double every other day and almost triple doubles between those then you ask where is he in the ranks? Right behind Doncic. 

I am pretty sure he missed most of the year last year with an injury.

3 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

I am pretty sure he missed most of the year last year with an injury.

Yes he did. 

2 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Yes he did. 

Yeah so that would explain why he had a TD in the beginning of the year and then didn't have another until March. 

That dude doesn't know what he's talking about. He's sleeping on Elfrid, or maybe just trying to drive down the price to buy low lol.

5 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

Yeah so that would explain why he had a TD in the beginning of the year and then didn't have another until March. 

That dude doesn't know what he's talking about. He's sleeping on Elfrid, or maybe just trying to drive down the price to buy low lol.

Bugs is one of the more knowledgeable posters on this forum, he knows what he's talking about. I think all he's saying is lets pump the brakes a little bit. Let's see him put up 1 triple dub before talking about him putting them up every other game or getting close to them every game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Elfrid is not for everybody. You get him for the categories. He is a category whore. Punt FT teams would love his services. If you not punting FT, grab Ish Smith. I’ll take the Payton.

20 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

He doesn't have the volume scoring, 3s, or FT% to be right behind Doncic, come on now. Like let's pump the brakes a little.  

Realistic ceiling is like top 40 imo. Middle case top 60-80. Low case 100-120. Just hope he stays healthy.

3 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Bugs is one of the more knowledgeable posters on this forum, he knows what he's talking about. I think all he's saying is lets pump the brakes a little bit. Let's see him put up 1 triple dub before talking about him putting them up every other game or getting close to them every game.

Not to mention playing more than 17 minutes in a game lol

he shouldn't be on your WW if you're talking about TDs we all know he's capable. Going forward to this week I hope to see that 17 minute ramped to 25 mpg

3 minutes ago, Eltoro said:

He doesn't have the volume scoring, 3s, or FT% to be right behind Doncic, come on now. Like let's pump the brakes a little.  

Realistic ceiling is like top 40 imo. Middle case top 60-80. Low case 100-120. Just hope he stays healthy.

If he stays healthy and doesn't get jerked around in the rotation, I say top 60-80 is his highest ceiling. Top 40 imo is sort of a stretch to me. 

2 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

You're right, bugs is pretty good. But I do think it's unfair to judge him on only having a few TDs last year when he missed half the season. Also, he got injured late October and missed 2 months (except 1 game in mid November), played 13 games between later December and late January, then missed another month. That's 1/3rd of his games between those long absences so he probably wasn't 100% during those games.

Also, he had more competition on the Pels, mainly Jrue Holiday. There's no competition for ball handling on the Knicks for Elfrid except maybe Barrett. 

Now, I obviously don't expect him to put up similar numbers to Luka Doncic, but I think a top ~50-60 average fantasy points per game in points league is not that crazy for him. That'd put him right around Jaylen Brown in my league, maybe a but better.

Oh I’m all in on Elfrid I’m just saying expecting consistent triple doubles is a bit overboard. 

The new coach made mention after Sunday practice that Elfrid started w the second unit but finished w the first unit and that games will dictate those things 

1 minute ago, Bugs bunny said:

Oh I’m all in on Elfrid I’m just saying expecting consistent triple doubles is a bit overboard. 

We're on the same page then. Kinda unreasonable to expect 1st round value out of the guy you took with your last pick in the draft.

Just now, kilslo said:

The new coach made mention after Sunday practice that Elfrid started w the second unit but finished w the first unit and that games will dictate those things 

Seems about right. They prob want to increase his usage slowly as he works back from the injury too.

Just now, claptondecheeks said:

You're right, bugs is pretty good. But I do think it's unfair to judge him on only having a few TDs last year when he missed half the season. Also, he got injured late October and missed 2 months (except 1 game in mid November), played 13 games between later December and late January, then missed another month. That's 1/3rd of his games between those long absences so he probably wasn't 100% during those games.

Also, he had more competition on the Pels, mainly Jrue Holiday. There's no competition for ball handling on the Knicks for Elfrid except maybe Barrett. 

Now, I obviously don't expect him to put up similar numbers to Luka Doncic, but I think a top ~50-60 average fantasy points per game in points league is not that crazy for him. That'd put him right around Jaylen Brown in my league, maybe a but better.

I agree and thats why I picked him up in my points league. His post AS break stats from last season would have him at ~33 points per game by my scoring settings (not even taking into account the DD and TD bonus) which which put him at 57th on per game average right behind Jamal Murray and Ja.

Not to mention he's still only 25 and could still improve, and like you said he was competing with Jrue last season. Moral of the story this guy cannot be on the wire in any points league anywhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bugs bunny said:

I don’t think I was expecting consistent triple doubles. Before I asked, someone brought up his monthly splits and sort of based my question around it. No way he’d get all those rebs with that front court rebound whores.

Poor man's Russell Westbrook. Run don't walk.

Hahahaha. Hard to type that with a straight face.

Do you guys value him over Dunn in H2H settings? Can't really figure out how much upside he got with DSJ and FN also in town

46 minutes ago, sharkpotato said:

If he stays healthy and doesn't get jerked around in the rotation, I say top 60-80 is his highest ceiling. Top 40 imo is sort of a stretch to me. 

I am hoping for a best case scenario of top 80-90 with solid steals/assists. And FG/FT that's improved enough to not tank those categories. 

5 minutes ago, Brandayz said:

Do you guys value him over Dunn in H2H settings? Can't really figure out how much upside he got with DSJ and FN also in town

DSJ is a**. I am confident Payton will catapault himself above those two into the starting lineup. The only tricky thing might be their desire to develop Frank. However, neither DSJ or Frank can run an offense as well as Payton, so that would be a detriment to their two emerging players in Mitchell and Barrett. I am thinking they'll either do Payton and Frank at the 1/2 or Frank as Payton's backup. I think DSJ is gonna be out of the rotation.