atlantadynasty

Davis Bertans 2019-2020 Outlook

Sucks that he only has 2 games next week! I’m in a weekly league so probably not worth rostering 😢

3 hours ago, ovofnd said:

Sucks that he only has 2 games next week! I’m in a weekly league so probably not worth rostering 😢

in b4 he hits like 15 3s over 2 games lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, WhatIsThisWizardry said:

in b4 he hits like 15 3s over 2 games lol

Knowing my luck, this is highly likely 😂

2 hours ago, DonutGiveUp said:

This mofo Brooks playing Bonga almost all quarter. Get Davis in FFS!

Chill. It's his second game back and he played 25 mins. It will increase in due time. 

There's no way you guys should be dropping him now. 2 bad shooting games is not nearly enough to justify this. He's going through a cold streak it happens. He's provided some decent stocks during that span and the man is just not afraid to shoot which I love. He'll start hitting them again he's just too good of shooter to drop. 

Why tf would you drop a shooter during a temporary cold streak? lmao. I swear some of you don’t deserve to play fantasy 😂

His involvement is decreasing because? What is Brooks doing? What?

You know what, I give up trying to get in the mind of certain coaches. You do you. I'm just a random basketball fan on a phone. Brooks is the multi-million dollar genius.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:07 PM, stickman786 said:

has anyone here traded for him?

Just traded MPJ to acquire him. 

17 hours ago, Ckay said:

Just traded MPJ to acquire him. 

God help me.... Lol 

Was supposed to be winning 3s with him and Harden every week, now I'm just guaranteed losing FG%.

• Haha 5

On 1/20/2020 at 11:19 PM, Trench Mob said:

His involvement is decreasing because? What is Brooks doing? What?

You know what, I give up trying to get in the mind of certain coaches. You do you. I'm just a random basketball fan on a phone. Brooks is the multi-million dollar genius.

I think there is nothing mysterious about it. Brooks is trying to do two things. Develop some of the young or up-and-coming players and at the same time find effective line-ups that keep the team somewhat competitive. That results to not play his best players maximum minutes, but at the same time still not focusing only at prioritizing development.

If we look at it as far as rotations go... At this moment the team is somewhat healthy. They are running Isaiah Thomas and Ish Smith as the point guards. Isaiah is basically done so his minutes are cut first... Still he is giving them veteran presence so he is not cut out the rotation completely. Ish is winning this battle and they seem to not have any viable third option so these guys are splitting the minutes. They could go with McRae, Beal, Brown as playmaker too, but they are not natural options and definitely not a long term solution at the spot so Brooks doesn't swing that way...

They have Gary Payton starting at two spot and they might have gotten him few minutes at the point too at some point... He is nothing more than a defensive presence needed to slot next to no-D Isaiah. They could go with Troy Brown in the starting lineup too, but he seems to play better off the bench so Brooks has him positioned there. It works in the favor of his development.

Bradley Beal is the main cog in the starting unit and basically creates the offense for this lineup. He played bigger minutes before his injury, but wisely they seem to be cutting those minutes down a bit. It is a lost season as far playoffs go so why risk further injuries? I can definitely understand the thinking here and limiting him under 35 minutes. Hence we have a spot for instant offense type of a player in Jordan McRae who is playing 25 minutes per game with the second unit and closing games here and there too with Beal (if they need added offense to cut down the decifit). McRae played a lot of minutes when Beal went down and is really the only other option in this team that can fill that void. He is not a developmental piece, but as they want to keep competitive he continues to see minutes.

Troy Brown is one of their most important pieces to get time on the floor. They have tried him as a starter, but it does not seem to work. Off the bench he is playing very well and should see minutes closer to 30 rest of the way. They gotta know soon what they got in him. I think he has shown flashes and developing him should be priority. 

Again a developmental move is to play Isaac Bonga. Commentators have been saying that Bonga has matured as the season has progressed and made strides in his play. I'm not one to assess that, but he seems certainly to be the one guy threatening minutes of Davis Bertans. Bertans might be still under restrictions and finding his rhythm after injury, but also Bonga + Brown/McRae pairing working well lately might have something to do with it.

Did Bertans play center before his injury? Now he will not play unless opponent go super small as Mahinmi has also gotten back to being fit and has played well here and there. Having him and Bryant compete has made center spot two horse race where Bertans has no room to operate. Early on the season Mahinmi was out and then Bryant got injured so maybe they had Bertans play some minutes there too?

So yeah, I'm not surprised that Bertans does not have as big of a window to showcase his talents as he did before. McRae emerging, Brown needing to develop his talents, Bonga showing promise and both centers being healthy... Beal is getting hit with it too a bit I think. What would help is if they would back out of the promise to give Thomas chance to showcase his health and talent... They could run GP as starting PG and open up 20 minutes of extra PT on SG-SF-PF spots. That is assuming they would not give it to other player, but distribute it between existing rotation.

EDIT: Wagner might be back soon and Hachimura is on the wings too... And Pasecniks. It might get crowded later on the season if all of em keep healthy. Bertans should not be the first one to be hit, but after Thomas, GP, Mahinmi and maybe McRae he could be next in line.

Edited by JormaJormala
  • Thanks 1