thusanaysayer

Marquese Chriss 2019-2020 Outlook

I like his STOCKS and I don't think Draymond will really make an impact with this kind of team. I say, unleash the young guns.

His 5 game averages are: 

11 points | 5 rebounds | 3 assists | 1 steal | 2 blocks 

Ranked 70th in the past week.

I know Looney is returning but damn.. dem stocks! 

On 11/21/2019 at 10:35 AM, Monkeyking69 said:

Looks like Looney is coming back into the mix soon... MC is so explosive I really wonder why he doesn't have a longer leash with kerr

Did you really just ask why Maquese Chriss in 2019 doesn't have a "longer leash"?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

damn.. I accidentally closed the tab and it erased my write up.

Well here we go again.

If I took a 22 year old player (born in the same year as Terence Davis), and told you that he's on a team decimated by injuries, a team going no where, that could essentially shut down all their frontline starters (WCS, Looney, Russell, and Draymond) half way through the year, and then followed it up by saying that on a per 36 average he's getting 14.9 ppg / 9.6 boards / 4.4 assists / 1.5 steals / 2.1 blocks, 47% FG, and 83% FT, you wouldn't want to stash that? Hell this guy is 2 years younger than Towns.

He's averaging fantastic per-minute numbers. He's basically playing just as well as Noel per minute, yet isn't getting nearly the same amount of love. Elite steals and blocks with great percentages and a lot of assists to boot. 

We also know he's a capable 3 point shooter, so maybe at some point that rears its head, and you could be looking at 1 / 1.5 / 2 guy getting 28-30 minutes if he keeps improving and working his way up.

I don't see Looney coming back as a threat currently, he has a long road back himself with his nerve issues and isn't a safe bet to stay healthy. Plus they can interchange them at two positions. 

People forget how young this guy is. He came into the league at such a raw age and was drafted by one of the worst front offices at the time with horrible player development/management. 

Kerr said they've worked extensively on improving his defense and his overall game awareness, and it's showing. He's averaging career highs per minute across the board, I've watched some games and he's doing some really impressive things. At one point I saw him run down the floor with the ball, stop around the freethrow line, and pass it backwards through his own legs to a shooter for a wide open 3. 

His stat-set right now is what people used to think they'd get from Jordan Bell if everything went right.

It also looks like all of his 13-16 minute games are slowly becoming a distant memory. He's consistently been at 22-23 minutes the last 4 games. 

Now we just have to hope that they don't cut him in order to keep Bowman, it would make a lot more sense to get rid of Spellman than Chriss.

Kerr recently said he loves his upside/talent and that he was drafted in the lottery for a reason, said he came into the league at a really young age and is finally learning the NBA game properly, and that Chriss is very athletic and has a lot of tools to work with. 

In the last 5 games he's accumulated 10 blocks, 5 steals, 17 assists! while playing just 22 mpg...on fantastic percentages no less. 

This is fantasy, who cares about the name, we care about stats/minutes/production/age. He's got a lot of things trending in the right direction. If his role maintains with these minutes he's an absolute steal off the wire, as other than Christian Wood and maybe Robert Williams there are NO other bigs who offer this kind of upside.

I just picked him up and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

Well here we go again.

If I took a 22 year old player (born in the same year as Terence Davis), and told you that he's on a team decimated by injuries, a team going no where, that could essentially shut down all their frontline starters (WCS, Looney, Russell, and Draymond) half way through the year, and then followed it up by saying that on a per 36 average he's getting 14.9 ppg / 9.6 boards / 4.4 assists / 1.5 steals / 2.1 blocks, 47% FG, and 83% FT, you wouldn't want to stash that? Hell this guy is 2 years younger than Towns.

He's averaging fantastic per-minute numbers. He's basically playing just as well as Noel per minute, yet isn't getting nearly the same amount of love. Elite steals and blocks with great percentages and a lot of assists to boot. 

We also know he's a capable 3 point shooter, so maybe at some point that rears its head, and you could be looking at 1 / 1.5 / 2 guy getting 28-30 minutes if he keeps improving and working his way up.

I don't see Looney coming back as a threat currently, he has a long road back himself with his nerve issues and isn't a safe bet to stay healthy. Plus they can interchange them at two positions. 

People forget how young this guy is. He came into the league at such a raw age and was drafted by one of the worst front offices at the time with horrible player development/management. 

Kerr said they've worked extensively on improving his defense and his overall game awareness, and it's showing. He's averaging career highs per minute across the board, I've watched some games and he's doing some really impressive things. At one point I saw him run down the floor with the ball, stop around the freethrow line, and pass it backwards through his own legs to a shooter for a wide open 3. 

His stat-set right now is what people used to think they'd get from Jordan Bell if everything went right.

It also looks like all of his 13-16 minute games are slowly becoming a distant memory. He's consistently been at 22-23 minutes the last 4 games. 

Now we just have to hope that they don't cut him in order to keep Bowman, it would make a lot more sense to get rid of Spellman than Chriss.

Kerr recently said he loves his upside/talent and that he was drafted in the lottery for a reason, said he came into the league at a really young age and is finally learning the NBA game properly, and that Chriss is very athletic and has a lot of tools to work with. 

In the last 5 games he's accumulated 10 blocks, 5 steals, 17 assists! while playing just 22 mpg...on fantastic percentages no less. 

This is fantasy, who cares about the name, we care about stats/minutes/production/age. He's got a lot of things trending in the right direction. If his role maintains with these minutes he's an absolute steal off the wire, as other than Christian Wood and maybe Robert Williams there are NO other bigs who offer this kind of upside.

Beautiful write up my man. 

All he needs is minutes and he's stuffing the stat sheet with low 20s.

I'm rolling the dice on him for the remainder of this week (3 games to play) 

I'll ride with you on this one! 

God speed

Edited by DiscoNinja33
Edit

Just looking to his past 5 games numbers he should be rostered around 30% or 40 % of leagues, but his name scares the hell out of people. 

I add him, just out of curiosity and nothing to lose. 

Edited by Heavy_Jon
Misspelling.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Heavy_Jon said:

Just looking to his past 5 games numbers he should be rostered around 30% or 40 % of leagues, but his name scares the hell out of people. 

I add him, just out of curiosity and nothing to lose. 

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

people also thought noel is done, and he went from the same percent owned as Chriss to 44%.

its better to be early than wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

Well here we go again.

Great post but on the highlighted we've already picked up Spellmans option for next year (who is starting to show a bit himself too )

2 minutes ago, Quazza said:

Great post but on the highlighted we've already picked up Spellmans option for next year (who is starting to show a bit himself too )

Yeah I wasn’t sure about Spellman’s contract situation and the only suggestions I’ve seen is all they can do is trade someone or cut Chriss, but I don’t feel like they want to cut Chriss.. let’s see what happens.

spellmans three is coming around and he’s young as well, though not sure he has Chriss defensive upside. 

Great post. Looney’s back soon and I’m worried he’ll eventually steal MC’s minutes. Kerr is a small ball coach. This is a potential 3-headed monster timeshare at C. I actually think looney has more upsides. He’s supposed to get 30 minutes before he got hurt. 

3 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

people also thought noel is done, and he went from the same percent owned as Chriss to 44%.

its better to be early than wrong.

Unless you’re early and wrong. :) 

I think the ride he took us on in PHX is still traumatizing many owners.  Thanks for the objective analysis.  I’ve been tempted but imo you’re not giving Loone’s impact on the rotation enough credit.  Kerr has implied KL’s return is imminent, and MC could very likely end up as a luxury stash in hopes that KL and WCS are both shut down.  I really doubt WCS gets shut down, the dubs lose enough with him out there and the long term outlook for him is not as a core piece.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 80version said:

Unless you’re early and wrong. :) 

I think the ride he took us on in PHX is still traumatizing many owners.  Thanks for the objective analysis.  I’ve been tempted but imo you’re not giving Loone’s impact on the rotation enough credit.  Kerr has implied KL’s return is imminent, and MC could very likely end up as a luxury stash in hopes that KL and WCS are both shut down.  I really doubt WCS gets shut down, the dubs lose enough with him out there and the long term outlook for him is not as a core piece.

when you’re taking a flier on upside that’s producing currently, you do it regardless of what happens next, and then wait until that situation comes to a head.

you have two pathways:

1. He’s producing in his current role, earning more minutes/coach’s trust, you plug him in, he either falls off and you continue streaming the spot until you find your next gem, or he pans out and you’re a happy owner the ROS

2. You don’t take the flier, you’re left continuing searching for the next gem, and someone else benefits from scenario 1.

It doesn’t make sense when the alternative was whoever your streaming was going to be dropped any way.

doing this isn’t for people happy with all 13 of their players, it’s for those trying to get the perfect composition of stats and removing dead weight, so what is there to lose? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

when you’re taking a flier on upside that’s producing currently, you do it regardless of what happens next, and then wait until that situation comes to a head.

you have two pathways:

1. He’s producing in his current role, earning more minutes/coach’s trust, you plug him in, he either falls off and you continue streaming the spot until you find your next gem, or he pans out and you’re a happy owner the ROS

2. You don’t take the flier, you’re left continuing searching for the next gem, and someone else benefits from scenario 1.

It doesn’t make sense when the alternative was whoever your streaming was going to be dropped any way.

doing this isn’t for people happy with all 13 of their players, it’s for those trying to get the perfect composition of stats and removing dead weight, so what is there to lose? 

Scenario 3: you keep MC on your roster taking up a streaming spot for a couple of weeks, while costing you a point or two and standing and then he falls off and becomes unrosterable anyways.  Lose-lose. 

Scenario 4: ...and you miss out on picking up another player who turns into an actual gem because you're gambling on MC's upside.  Lose-lose-lose. 

I like Chriss, but personally a bit skeptical he will pan out this season fantasy-wise.  I think there is a high probability the investment is not a win for us (I could be wrong), but this is not a situation where I'd be happy to be right.  I would love to see him develop and add to GSW's bench depth for the future IRL.  

• Like 1

He does have a lot of upside, but getting more than 20 min a night when Draymond, Looney, WCS and Paschall are healthy? won’t happen, even 18-20 sounds exaggerated.

7 hours ago, 80version said:

Scenario 3: you keep MC on your roster taking up a streaming spot for a couple of weeks, while costing you a point or two and standing and then he falls off and becomes unrosterable anyways.  Lose-lose. 

Scenario 4: ...and you miss out on picking up another player who turns into an actual gem because you're gambling on MC's upside.  Lose-lose-lose. 

I like Chriss, but personally a bit skeptical he will pan out this season fantasy-wise.  I think there is a high probability the investment is not a win for us (I could be wrong), but this is not a situation where I'd be happy to be right.  I would love to see him develop and add to GSW's bench depth for the future IRL.  

for point 3, if chriss is costing you a matchup you have much deeper roster problems.

for point 4, there’ll always be pickups, and you said you can be early and wrong, so you can make the same argument on any pickup you go after. Moreover, you have the choice of cutting at any point, not 4 weeks.

Only played a few minutes, 2 steals 2 blocks 3 boards an assist already.

make that 3 blocks 

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 1

Just now, DezedandConfused said:

Looney can never stay healthy, not too worried about his return. 

Lmao.