COBBLEPOT

Demar Derozan 2019-2020 Outlook

46 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

in 2017/18 he attempted 3.6   3s for 23pts/ 45.6 FG%.  Will it happen again, we will see ( I believe it will). 

So math (good or bad) is not really applicable here. 

Will he be  sharpshooter like Curry"  Of course not. Can he  have 1+ 3pm for the season  at 45+ fg%?   Yes, he can

I figured you would use the one season where he accomplished both. Then there are the 5 seasons where he shot 1.5, 1.5, 2.7, 1.5, and 1.8 threes a game and didn't hit 45%. Never said it couldn't happen. Just said it was highly unlikely and like it or not the stats back it up. 

Edited by HK-47

1 hour ago, ellejamil said:

If he can hit at least 35% in 3s at around 3 attempts, it's all well and good.

Sure it will be but he's never shot that percentage from deep. Kinda hard to think that's just gonna click for him from deep at 30 years old. Sure, guys can change....but just last year he couldn't buy a bucket from deep. Started out shooting them the first couple months and then pretty much just nixed the shot ROS. 

58 minutes ago, HK-47 said:

I figured you would use the one season where he accomplished both. Then there are the 5 seasons where he shot 1.5, 1.5, 2.7, 1.5, and 1.8 threes a game and didn't hit 45%. Never said it couldn't happen. Just said it was highly unlikely and like it or not the stats back it up. 

That season where he attempted more 3s and shot at a higher clip (last TOR season) is his most recent though. It takes offseason development into account.

That last TOR season is a better indicator than the other seasons, despite the smaller sample size imho.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ovofnd said:

That season where he attempted more 3s and shot at a higher clip (last TOR season) is his most recent though. It takes offseason development into account.

That last TOR season is a better indicator than the other seasons, despite the smaller sample size imho.

So, two years ago is a better indicator than last year when he lost total confidence in his deep ball and nixed it after 2 months? It wasn't like he came out last year deciding to not shoot 3's..he just wasn't making them. I mean I get what you are trying to say...but if it was a skill he developed due to work put in then it should have carried over. That's usually how it works. Also, he still only shot 31% from deep that year. Sure, some improvement and a little better than his career mark...but still well below league average.

Edited by HK-47

16 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

over/under for 20 pts/ 1 3s/ 45+ fg%?

Under on the 3's since he's hit all those numbers in a season once in his 10 year career. But, I don't think he will shoot them that much. Not sure why some of y'all want Derozan to be something he isn't. So weird to draft a guy who isn't a good 3 point shooter and hasn't proven to be in his entire career to then argue that he is (or can be) and hope that he shoots more of them. Don't get why people draft guys knowing who they are and then expect them to be something different. Especially a 30 year old with a huge sample size and who lost all confidence from deep last year. A spade is a spade. 

Edited by HK-47
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, HK-47 said:

Under on the 3's since he's hit all those numbers in a season once in his 10 year career. But, I don't think he will shoot them that much. Not sure why some of y'all want Derozan to be something he isn't. So weird to draft a guy who isn't a good 3 point shooter and hasn't proven to be in his entire career to then argue that he is (or can be) and hope that he shoots more of them. Don't get why people draft guys knowing who they are and then expect them to be something different. Especially a 30 year old with a huge sample size and who lost all confidence from deep last year. A spade is a spade. 

why don't accept the fact that good players can add 3 point shot to their repertoire?  It's been done  before and it will happen again.

B. Lopez, Horford,  M. Gasol all did it. DeRozan  can do it too if that's what Pop wants.

And DeRozan is not drafter for his 3 pointers and he never will. The hope is he can contribute in 3s

Edited by Gile Pile
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, HK-47 said:

nobody drafted him for threes..

the hope is that the threes will be an added bonus.

and that’s what pops asked him to work on for this coming season.

hes already hit 1 per game in the past, so no need to act like it would be some unfathomable feat. 

2 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

why don't accept the fact that good players can add 3 point shot to their repertoire?  It's been done  before and it will happen again.

B. Lopez, Horford,  M. Gasol all did it. DeRozan  can do it too if that's what Pop wants.

And DeRozan is not drafter for his 3 pointers and he never will. The hope is he can contribute in 3s

Lol just because pop may want it doesn’t mean he can do it man. Yes I know players can add stuff but again even when he was decent that year he wasn’t even league average. Drafting Derozan and hoping for 3’s as a positive contribution to his value makes no sense. I say he won’t hit a three a game and shoot over 45% but you do. If he does shoot over 45% it won’t come with those 3’s. I’ll be happy to throw money on this. Weren’t you the Siakam 60% guy last year? At least you have a slight chance to win this though.

Edited by HK-47

2 hours ago, COBBLEPOT said:

nobody drafted him for threes..

the hope is that the threes will be an added bonus.

and that’s what pops asked him to work on for this coming season.

hes already hit 1 per game in the past, so no need to act like it would be some unfathomable feat. 

Right he's played 10 seasons and did it once. Never said it was unfathomable so let's keep it accurate man...I said highly unlikely and it is. As far as an added bonus...in what way? It's not a bonus if he takes 4 a game but makes them at his career clip. That's great that pop asked him to work on it. I guess because of that we should just assume it's gonna happen.

53 minutes ago, HK-47 said:

Right he's played 10 seasons and did it once. Never said it was unfathomable so let's keep it accurate man...I said highly unlikely and it is. As far as an added bonus...in what way? It's not a bonus if he takes 4 a game but makes them at his career clip. That's great that pop asked him to work on it. I guess because of that we should just assume it's gonna happen.

we should assume he’s going to try..

and i’ll gladly take 1 three a game at 25% if his fg% hangs around his career mark of 45% or greater .. 

considering he was 48% from the field in pops’ system, i don’t see him dipping below his career mark. 

did you know that from 2014-2018 he made .7 threes a game at a little over a 30% clip while maintaining a 45% fg percentage? .. last year was actually an outlier, which is why many believe pops wishes will come to fruition. 

Edited by COBBLEPOT
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, COBBLEPOT said:

we should assume he’s going to try..

and i’ll take gladly 1 three a game at 25% if his fg% hangs around his career mark of 45% or greater .. 

considering he was 48% from the field in pops’ system, i don’t see him dipping below his career mark. 

did you know that from 2014-2018 he made .7 threes a game at a little over a 30% clip while maintaining a 45% fg percentage? .. last year was actually an outlier, which is why many believe pops wishes will come to fruition. 

Fully aware of his career stats. I also know that the year after he made 1.1 a game he came back the next and shot 26.6% from 3. So it wasn’t a developed skill that carried over like some wanna believe. Also if he shoots 25% there’s no way he is taking 4 a game to get you that 1 a game. That would be some Josh Smith type shot selection. Anyways just going in circles here saying the same things...we can revisit this down the road. 

Edited by HK-47

Just now, HK-47 said:

Fully aware of his career stats. I also know that the year after he made 1.1 a game he came back the next and shot 26.6% from 3. So it wasn’t a developed skill that carried over, unlike some wanna believe. Also if he shoots 25% there’s not way he is taking 4 a game to get you that 1 a game. That would be some Josh Smith type shot selection. Anyways just going in circles here saying the same things...we can revisit this down the road.

so in his career, the three seasons where he shot over 30% were his three greatest seasons in terms of volume from three point range..

im not saying he’s a great long range shooter, but he’s proven that he has the ability to shoot when he makes it a focus as opposed to an afterthought ala last year. 

2 minutes ago, COBBLEPOT said:

so in his career, the three seasons where he shot over 30% were his three greatest seasons in terms of volume from three point range..

im not saying he’s a great long range shooter, but he’s proven that he has the ability to shoot when he makes it a focus as opposed to an afterthought ala last year. 

League average is 35.5% so 30% is hardly good and he’s never even been league average in a single season. 

46 minutes ago, HK-47 said:

League average is 35.5% so 30% is hardly good and he’s never even been league average in a single season. 

nobody said it was good though .. just not bad 

shooting 30% from three = shooting 45% from two. 

the whole point here is that he can very easily make 1 three a game on the season..to argue otherwise would be foolish. 

25 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

Um, what the hell is wrong with him?  Not what you want to see.

Probably my fault, first time in 6 years of fantasy that I took him. Everything I touch turns to s--- 😤

On 10/22/2019 at 6:43 PM, COBBLEPOT said:

nobody said it was good though .. just not bad 

shooting 30% from three = shooting 45% from two. 

the whole point here is that he can very easily make 1 three a game on the season..to argue otherwise would be foolish. 

It's just wild man you want a guy who isn't good from 3, or as you like to say "not bad" since that sounds better for your argument, to shoot more of them. Yet you call me foolish. Funny.

Edited by HK-47

Pissed me off! Didn’t look interested today at all! 

4 minutes ago, mas10 said:

Pissed me off! Didn’t look interested today at all! 

So odd too since Pop asked him to work on his three point shot in the off season. Thought for sure that means he would come out shooting them with confidence all the sudden...

Edited by HK-47

47 minutes ago, HK-47 said:

It's just wild man you want a guy who isn't good from 3, or as you like to say "not bad" since that sounds better for your argument, to shoot more of them. Yet you call me foolish. Funny.

huh? 

hes hit 1 three a game in the past.

dont know why it would be absurd to want that once again. at this point you’re just doin too much.

15 minutes ago, COBBLEPOT said:

huh? 

hes hit 1 three a game in the past.

dont know why it would be absurd to want that once again. at this point you’re just doin too much.

No I'm not. This all started with some dude asking why does his 3 point percentage matter based on my comment of saying I wouldn't want him shooting a bunch of 3's. Um, because it's not good. That guy had a hard time accepting that for some reason and it turned into this. Anyways nice game tonight....

Edited by HK-47