heyitsmattdelly

PJ Washington 2019-2020 Outlook

1 hour ago, CitizenJ said:

I'll drop him then and eat the 25%. It happens, but you have to take shots. No regrets if he doesn't work out. A lot of good rookies last year didn't sniff a wall.

TBH, this is the time of year you can find a league winner on the wire. Mitchell was a wire pick up his rookie year. Last year it was Siakam. 

You can get good players later on but rarely league winners. Those usually need injuries or tanking to get the opportunity. But by then, your leaguemates will have spent their money on waiver fodder.

29 minutes ago, TheAnswer said:

Anyone selling high?

I'm trying to get other high potential rookies/2nd year players whose debuts weren't as great but no one wants to give them up. But it's hard to get someone's 5-6th rounder bc they made a high investment on them.

3 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

TBH, this is the time of year you can find a league winner on the wire. Mitchell was a wire pick up his rookie year. Last year it was Siakam. 

You can get good players later on but rarely league winners. Those usually need injuries or tanking to get the opportunity. But by then, your leaguemates will have spent their money on waiver fodder.

I'm trying to get other high potential rookies/2nd year players whose debuts weren't as great but no one wants to give them up. But it's hard to get someone's 5-6th rounder bc they made a high investment on them.

Exactly dude.PJ Washington isnt probably a league winner. But I optimistically think he can be someone my team won’t need to drop outside injury ROS

9 minutes ago, CitizenJ said:

I would argue the most sure fire gambles to take with your FAAB are breakout young players on teams that retooled in the offeseaon and don’t have a lot to play for win/loss wise. His situation is perfect and has done nothing but prove his role so far. First week of the season is ALWAYS the best time to use your FAAB. Having 80% of your FAAB come March sounds silly

This.

I've been clean out of FAAB by the half way point of every fantasy league I've played in that used the format.  No regrets, gotta get while the getting is good.

• Like 1

Now have Bridges and PJ in a keeper league. Very excited to see these two develop and produce big!

I was low on him going into the preseason and will admit I was wrong and he is worth picking up in a lot of leagues if you have a spot for him. I picked him up in one deeper league. But I still predict him outside the top 100 this year, maybe the top 150, and would sell high on him if I got the chance. These are my reasons:

1) As pointed out, the Bulls defense wasn't great, and I noticed in the highlights that none of Washington's makes very well contested, and a few were wide-open. He may be a really good shooter, but I don't think he is near as good as hitting 7 threes in his debut make him look.

2) He is not going to play 38 minutes per game.

3) He gets very few assists, but could have relatively high turnovers (2ish?) He had a negative A/To ratio in college and isn't likely to improve that area of his game much this year in tougher competition. 

4) He shot 63% on free throws in college on 5+ attempts. That percentage and volume can kill if you want to win ft% even if you reduce it to 3-4 attempts and 65-70%. Since people are predicting him to score more than he did in college on this forum, they probably shouldn't expect ft volume to go down much.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tdye said:

I was low on him going into the preseason and will admit I was wrong and he is worth picking up in a lot of leagues if you have a spot for him. I picked him up in one deeper league. But I still predict him outside the top 100 this year, maybe the top 150, and would sell high on him if I got the chance. These are my reasons:

1) As pointed out, the Bulls defense wasn't great, and I noticed in the highlights that none of Washington's makes very well contested, and a few were wide-open. He may be a really good shooter, but I don't think he is near as good as hitting 7 threes in his debut make him look.

2) He is not going to play 38 minutes per game.

3) He gets very few assists, but could have relatively high turnovers (2ish?) He had a negative A/To ratio in college and isn't likely to improve that area of his game much this year in tougher competition. 

4) He shot 63% on free throws in college on 5+ attempts. That percentage and volume can kill if you want to win ft% even if you reduce it to 3-4 attempts and 65-70%. Since people are predicting him to score more than he did in college on this forum, they probably shouldn't expect ft volume to go down much.

do you still see miles bridges performing better than him ROS?

• Like 1

FWIW he shot 81% fts in the preseason albeit on 11 attempts. Let's look at the positives though, Batum is injured and out for the next several weeks, solidifying his minutes at 30+. He has a good stroke from long range, can't see why he can't average 2 3s. 2/13.5-14/4/1.5/1.7 combined stocks on good % is definitely attainable. 

had to scoop and ask questions later. never know though if bridges, bacon, graham is the one to own. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, deathrazor said:

do you still see miles bridges performing better than him ROS?

I prefer Bridges this year. I haven't watched them play much and am not an expert at evaluating talent, but I much prefer Bridges for his ft% and that he has the advantage of a year of NBA experience.

4 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

FWIW he shot 81% fts in the preseason albeit on 11 attempts. Let's look at the positives though, Batum is injured and out for the next several weeks, solidifying his minutes at 30+. He has a good stroke from long range, can't see why he can't average 2 3s. 2/13.5-14/4/1.5/1.7 combined stocks on good % is definitely attainable. 

I could see him getting more than 4 rebounds if he plays big minutes

Edited by tdye

I'm also wondering if he'll get any consideration for other positions like SF and or C. I have a hard time believing he'll strictly be considered a 4 from here on out. 

3 minutes ago, MFNunique said:

I'm also wondering if he'll get any consideration for other positions like SF and or C. I have a hard time believing he'll strictly be considered a 4 from here on out. 

He is SF/PF in yahoo I believe

35 minutes ago, brosephd said:

had to scoop and ask questions later. never know though if bridges, bacon, graham is the one to own. 

All of them are rosterable, they play different positions. I said it in another thread, but Charlotte will be a sneaky fantasy gold mine this year because they’re using a system very similar to the Nets with Atkinson.

Neither Rozier nor Bridges has shown signs of stepping up as a leader on offense, so I think it may come down to who can most effectively get the team points. PJ shot 52% from the field and 42% from deep last year, and he's aggressively pursuing shots at the professional level. I just discovered he was on Kentucky with Tyler Herro - scored more points, better percentages and a higher +/-

Is it too soon to be getting ROY vibes?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattshhh said:

Neither Rozier nor Bridges has shown signs of stepping up as a leader on offense, so I think it may come down to who can most effectively get the team points. PJ shot 52% from the field and 42% from deep last year, and he's aggressively pursuing shots at the professional level. I just discovered he was on Kentucky with Tyler Herro - scored more points, better percentages and a higher +/-

Is it too soon to be getting ROY vibes?

Yes :) but definitely will be an exciting year for him on such a bad team. Let's see how the FT looks and if the 3 pointers can stabilize at 2 per game or above

NBA League Pass is free this week...Put on your PJs right in your living room!!!

7 hours ago, brosephd said:

gonna be boxscore watching this one for sure. let's see if it's legit.

• Haha 1

He will be on local TV when the Wolves take on the Hornets tonight. I'm looking forward to see how all these young studs perform.