dfstout

Kendrick Nunn 2019-2020 Outlook

On 11/23/2019 at 10:20 PM, Lifschitz said:

I really think so much of fantasy b-ball opinion is predicated on who guys miss out on in their leagues or who they dropped. There is a psychoanalysis aspect to it where our ego gets in the way and we try to consistently convince ourselves (not others) that we made the right decision. Really, a lot of 'public opinion' about fantasy in general relates back to us projecting onto others.

It might sound presumptuous to understand others' motivations, but innately I understand myself and friends of mine have admitted to this, and I see it as a pervasive thing with guys playing fantasy. 

We don't want to think well I was wrong to drop this guy because then we admit guilt, which we treat like sin. It happens, I dropped Fournier two weeks back after he hit 6 3's because I thought season long he won't be good, and it stings right now watching him put up line after line, but I'm not going to go in the Fournier thread after a few bad games and say "told ya so", it's premature and amateur. 

Again, to reiterate, if you want to make a case, make a case like charlesCC did, explain why Winslow could impact him or how his long term outlook could be effected with healthy bodies etc. You can make situational arguments. But strictly coming into threads and making instagram like comments really says a lot about the person.

You're absolutely right about the psychological aspect. I do feel like a lot of people who come in to the threads of guys like Nunn and PJ Washington are those that missed out on picking them up, and are beating themselves up for it. S******g on these guys when they bad games is a way to cope with making that mistake lol.

I personally traded Nunn away because of categorical needs, but getting 17/3/3 from an undrafted rookie who you picked up off the wire is a huge win no matter how you slice it lol. 

• Haha 1

On 11/23/2019 at 10:20 PM, Lifschitz said:

I really think so much of fantasy b-ball opinion is predicated on who guys miss out on in their leagues or who they dropped. There is a psychoanalysis aspect to it where our ego gets in the way and we try to consistently convince ourselves (not others) that we made the right decision. Really, a lot of 'public opinion' about fantasy in general relates back to us projecting onto others.

It might sound presumptuous to understand others' motivations, but innately I understand myself and friends of mine have admitted to this, and I see it as a pervasive thing with guys playing fantasy. 

We don't want to think well I was wrong to drop this guy because then we admit guilt, which we treat like sin. It happens, I dropped Fournier two weeks back after he hit 6 3's because I thought season long he won't be good, and it stings right now watching him put up line after line, but I'm not going to go in the Fournier thread after a few bad games and say "told ya so", it's premature and amateur. 

Again, to reiterate, if you want to make a case, make a case like charlesCC did, explain why Winslow could impact him or how his long term outlook could be effected with healthy bodies etc. You can make situational arguments. But strictly coming into threads and making instagram like comments really says a lot about the person.

Cognitive dissonance is a funny thing lol. You perfectly summed up it. Explains why there’s always these salty/dumb trolls always lurking in threads of players who are supposedly “trash” or players who they “dropped” already....yeah this players not worth your time or roster space but wonder why you show up in the threads after a bad game or two like clockwork lol. Like sometime you can just TELL who missed out on a hot pick up. They’ll show up just to rain on the parade to justify their miss-adds 😕

Edited by IDatDude

Spot on. Obviously they are keeping up on any news/stats seeking reassurance, demonstrating they are not 100% sure of the move they made.

I offered him straight up for JJJ.  That's an interesting "challenge trade" imo.  ROS they might be pretty close but on my team I would prefer JJJ for balance reasons.  We'll see what JJJ's owner counters with.  Just trying to give an idea of his value.  This is 12 team H2H 9 cat.

2 hours ago, memo said:

Spot on. Obviously they are keeping up on any news/stats seeking reassurance, demonstrating they are not 100% sure of the move they made.

Not necessarily true, I still got TJ BUCKETS on my team and I'm trashing him left and right hahaha, same with this dude, though I don't trash him as much since he still gets stls and 3's.

Here's what I see in this thread alot:

Random dude: "Trash"

Insecure Nunn owner:

"Bla blab bla blab lab blalblalblablalba bla bl bla bla

bal bla bla blabl 

blablabla

balblablblalb

75% 

Bla blah blah blah blah blah, WHERE'S ALL THE HATERS NOAW!"

Like if you're so secure about your views of him, why do you guys even acknowledge reactionary opinions lol, makes no sense, no sense at all....unless....

2 hours ago, SkalChriston said:

Like if you're so secure about your views of him, why do you guys even acknowledge reactionary opinions lol, makes no sense, no sense at all....unless....

I do it so that people coming for good info don't see posts like "trash" and then make a decision based off those trolls which happens a lot

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SkalChriston said:

Not necessarily true, I still got TJ BUCKETS on my team and I'm trashing him left and right hahaha, same with this dude, though I don't trash him as much since he still gets stls and 3's.

Here's what I see in this thread alot:

Random dude: "Trash"

Insecure Nunn owner:

"Bla blab bla blab lab blalblalblablalba bla bl bla bla

bal bla bla blabl 

blablabla

balblablblalb

75% 

Bla blah blah blah blah blah, WHERE'S ALL THE HATERS NOAW!"

Providing reasonable analysis on both sides of the coin is how you have a discussion on a forum, otherwise why are you here?

this is how people can make educated decisions about their players.

you keep trying this edgy centrist approach, but it’s a thin veil along the same spectrum as the “trash” guys, nothing of substance.

Edited by Lifschitz

27 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

Providing reasonable analysis on both sides of the coin is how you have a discussion on a forum, otherwise why are you here?

this is how people can make educated decisions about their players.

you keep trying this edgy centrist approach, but it’s a thin veil along the same spectrum as the “trash” guys, nothing of substance.

You can provide analysis without acknowledging "trash" posts, just don't respond to them lol, and.....provide your analysis.

If someone would be swayed to make a decision on "trash, drop city!" over solid analysis, then I don't know what to say?

I also post "trash", but I don't take myself that seriously. Some of the "trash" here also makes me laugh and brightens my day, "oh look, someone else frustrated too!"

I don't know what edgy-centrist is btw, I'm not that substanced.

Anyway carry on with the Nunn Wars, I'm just posting this in case anyway feels apprehensive about saying anything less than 200% positively substanced. You can already see it happening....

"Hey gaiz...I....I think I might have to drop Nunn......ummm...but don't get me wrong, I fully believe he's D-Wade re-incarnated and might end up top 10 this year...so please don't hate me....."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SkalChriston said:

I'm just posting this in case anyway feels apprehensive about saying anything less than 200% positively substanced. You can already see it happening....

spacer.png

#76 in 9cat and #65 in 8cat, both ahead of Devonte Graham (esp. 9cat) so far. Let's see what happens when Winslow comes back this week. 

Just realized this guy is G Harris from 2 or 3 seasons ago. High FG% with 2.3 3pm and 1.3 stl. 

Edited by HerrMcKenzie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, HerrMcKenzie said:

#76 in 9cat and #65 in 8cat, both ahead of Devonte Graham (esp. 9cat) so far. Let's see what happens when Winslow comes back this week. 

Just realized this guy is G Harris from 2 or 3 seasons ago. High FG% with 2.3 3pm and 1.3 stl. 

Spot on, comp (atleast statistically). Could argue that he has a higher ceiling given his role, but I do see Winslow taking away from him when he does come back. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 4:03 AM, Lifschitz said:

Being a troll means you add zero to the conversation. You literally wait until the ONE game where he plays bad to make this comment - you kept your mouth shut the entire time he was doing well. He already showed he can play poorly and bounce back. So what's the point of saying this? 

What are we selling high on? 17/3/3/1.5 and 2.3 3's per game? That's his season average right now - it's not like you're going to trade that for anything significant, especially because he doesn't carry the name value. Sell high would've been his first few weeks because no one realistically thought it would last. Go back a few pages and you'll see 17/3/3/1.5 is what we already predicted he would regress to from his hot shooting to start the year (which no one thought was sustainable).

Like really, you think one bad game when their entire team was blown out by 30+ the whole game somehow means he's done? hmm.. I'm pretty sure I saw this story a few pages back.

So do you think he's going to keep his value rest-of-the-season? You ain't owning this thread.... Just respect the fact he's been overhyped and may have some bad games. Calm down man. 

On 11/24/2019 at 4:20 AM, Lifschitz said:

You can make situational arguments. But strictly coming into threads and making instagram like comments really says a lot about the person.

You can't force people to comment like depht fantasy basketball analysts, just because you're used to do it. I basically like the psychological sense of your statement, i'm ironically agree with you too, but you really can't veto-commenting to someone who doesn't belong to the "24/7 Kendrick Nunn fanclub no matter what". 

2 hours ago, ellejamil said:

How will Winslow's return affect him? He was their defacto PG

I don't think too much. His role will affect Dragic more, as he's the defacto ball handler when he's on the floor. Possibly less minutes. You can tell there's a few favourites in Miami.....Herro, Butler, Bam, and now Nunn. Throw in Winslow and that could be their lineup to close out games. 

still have no idea why people think winslow will effect Nunn, their games are polar opposites guys, so unless your expecting Nunn's assists to go up or something i really have no idea where the concern is coming from on the Winslow front

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

still have no idea why people think winslow will effect Nunn, their games are polar opposites guys, so unless your expecting Nunn's assists to go up or something i really have no idea where the concern is coming from on the Winslow front

So while Butler was not playing, I think it's fair to look at the first three games of the season to look at how Nunn and Winslow may co-exist.  Winslow was doing it all and Nunn was getting plenty of shots up.  If anything Winslow is another facilitator to help Nunn get more open looks.  Nunn is not your traditional set up point guard or even one who needs the ball in his hands all the time.  He is a very good shooter who can be a hybrid (though undersized) one/two.

I'm starting to think that Winslow is just going to be an overall boon to the offense and open shot opportunity.  Obviously the cost is going to be minutes, and while Nunn's may go down he's not exactly going to be phased out of the offense.

Spoelstra will have some interesting lineup decisions to make, and I'm seeing a lot of fans hoping for Herro to start alongside Winslow, so who knows but I guess coming off the bench is a possibility.  Regardless, I think Nunn will still get enough minutes to be effective and hopefully not have too much of a hit to his value.  I think ultimately it will come down to him needing to remain confident in himself regardless of how the rotations and minutes shakeout.

Spo is playing 9 deep with the injuries (Winslow, DJJ, JJ). I can see him easily go up to 10/11 when the injured guys are back.

Chris Silva will lose minutes and probably Robinson/Herro/Dragic/Nunn will all lose minutes to Winslow as well with Spo riding the hot hand. 

If Nunn goes to 20 mins from his sometimes 30+ that will definitely affect the production

Guys, everyone needs to relax on the 'when Winslow comes back' fear.

This is Miami. Just look at their roster - it's pretty injury prone. Between their not exactly durable backcourt of Butler, Winslow, Dragic, Nunn'll have plenty of opportunity.

2 hours ago, Apollo_87 said:

Guys, everyone needs to relax on the 'when Winslow comes back' fear.

This is Miami. Just look at their roster - it's pretty injury prone. Between their not exactly durable backcourt of Butler, Winslow, Dragic, Nunn'll have plenty of opportunity.

Agreed, he'll probably be in the 26-28 minute range most nights with everyone healthy. That's enough to still be a solid contributor around top 100.

IMO he's due for a dip in FG% considering he was around 43% in college, but solid production with top 50-60 upside when others are out is more than fine for a waiver add.

Not jumping on the "when winslow comes back" hype train...but I will say, if Nunn owners want to sell at his highest, now would be the time.

He will be great player to have regardless.