jfazz23

New York Yankees 2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Tough loss to Houston.  Thoughts on next year?

 

EE Gone

CC Gone

Gardy Gone?

DiDi gone?

Will Chapman opt out?

 

Do they go after Cole?  Hearing rumors on WFAN that Cole may get 40 mil per.  What about Strasburg? MadBum (bad idea)

 

Crazy idea. Yanks let Didi walk and trade for Lindor.  Being discussed on WFAN right now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

Tough loss to Houston.  Thoughts on next year?

 

EE Gone

CC Gone

Gardy Gone?

DiDi gone?

Will Chapman opt out?

 

Do they go after Cole?  Hearing rumors on WFAN that Cole may get 40 mil per.  What about Strasburg? MadBum (bad idea)

 

Crazy idea. Yanks let Didi walk and trade for Lindor.  Being discussed on WFAN right now

Do they have the prospects to grab Lindor anymore? Didi is the only one they should be trying to re-sign. Make a play for Cole. Otherwise don't have to do a ton. Voit is still around so losing EE is moot.

Edited by Slatykamora

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yankee fans and rumors are hilarious on the radio.. 

'2019 was a disaster, they should go out and sign Cole and then trade for Lindor. The BOOM, parade!'

Btw it was that Joel Sherman who started the Lindor thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Slatykamora said:

Do they have the prospects to grab Lindor anymore? Didi is the only one they should be trying to re-sign. Make a play for Cole. Otherwise don't have to do a ton. Voit is still around so losing EE is moot.

 

No they don't. If the Indians are stupid enough to move him then I'd think Atlanta or the Dodgers would be the favorite to land him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this is what I've come up with. I don't see the Yankees being as active with free agency as people might think. Their offseason moves will revolve around who they choose to bring back with a roster that has a lot of depth.

SP1 - Gerrit Cole
SP2 - Luis Severino
SP3 - James Paxton
SP4 - Masahiro Tanaka
SP5 - J.A. Happ / Domingo German / Jordan Montgomery

RP - Zack Britton
RP - Luis Cessa
RP - Chad Green
RP - Adam Ottavino
RP - Tommy Kahnle
RP - Jonathan Loaisiga
RP - Tyler Lyons / Nestor Cortes Jr. / Stephen Tarpley

C - Austin Romine, Gary Sanchez
1B - Luke Voit
2B - DJ LeMahieu
SS - Gleyber Torres
3B - Gio Urshela / Miguel Andujar
LF - Clint Frazier / Mike Tauchman / Brett Gardner
CF - Aaron Hicks
RF - Aaron Judge
DH - Giancarlo Stanton

Leave via Free Agency:
Didi Gregorius
Cameron Maybin
Edwin Encarnacion
Aroldis Chapman (opt out)
Dellin Betances
C.C. Sabathia (retirement)

Free Agents to be re-signed
Austin Romine
Brett Gardner?

Free Agents to be signed
Gerrit Cole

 

Major stories will include the following:

- Do the Yankees Let Didi walk?

- Does Chapman opt out of his current deal? If he does, do the Yankees let him walk?

- Does Cashman make the big splash and bolster the rotation with Cole by making him an offer he can't refuse?

- What will come of the domestic violence case pending against Domingo German?

- Do the Yankees bring Betances back after an injury plagued year? How much money can he realistically ask for?

- Do the Yankees bring back Gardner on a 1 year deal to an already crowded outfield? Gardner had a career high .503 slugging percentage with 28 HR in 2019. 

 

I would personally re-sign Romine, let everyone else walk, and give Cole whatever he wants to come play in NY. There's more than enough depth to fill out this roster internally. And there's plenty more players down on the farm. Some of the young core (Judge, Sanchez) will be arbitration eligible, so cutting payroll by letting everyone walk will offset things in my eyes, and they'll just get more expensive in the years to come. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cole probably ends up in LA with the Angels - my guess is that they will let it play out with the staff, maybe add a mid-level type piece but then pull the trigger at deadline this time. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, parrothead said:

Cole probably ends up in LA with the Angels - my guess is that they will let it play out with the staff, maybe add a mid-level type piece but then pull the trigger at deadline this time. 

 

maybe get Kluber with Lindor.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Yankee fans and rumors are hilarious on the radio.. 

'2019 was a disaster, they should go out and sign Cole and then trade for Lindor. The BOOM, parade!'

Btw it was that Joel Sherman who started the Lindor thing. 

Source?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't call it a lock that Voit is even the starting 1B next season after his September disappearing act and subsequent omission from the ALCS roster. He didn't look the same after the sports hernia. Looking at the projected roster, he's the favorite barring an offseason move, but I'm not sure he's just gifted the job in ST.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2019 at 3:38 PM, jfazz23 said:

 

maybe get Kluber with Lindor.  

 

Maybe the Indians would be willing to throw in Clevinger in there as well. Seems legit. 

19 hours ago, BMcP said:

Source?

 

jfazz23 😁

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

I wouldn't call it a lock that Voit is even the starting 1B next season after his September disappearing act and subsequent omission from the ALCS roster. He didn't look the same after the sports hernia. Looking at the projected roster, he's the favorite barring an offseason move, but I'm not sure he's just gifted the job in ST.

 

he had a sports hernia.  he was VERY GOOD before that injury.  High OBP and on pace for a 30/100 year.  its his to lose

 

edit: you prorate his firsst half stats hes a 280/100/30/100 hitter with a 390 OBP

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EE Gone > BYE!

CC Gone > Thanks CC

Gardy Gone? > BYE!

DiDi gone? > BYE!

Will Chapman opt out? > Reworked 3-4 year contract

Yanks will sign 1 SP and call it a season. One out of Cole, Strass, MadBum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

 

he had a sports hernia.  he was VERY GOOD before that injury.  High OBP and on pace for a 30/100 year.  its his to lose

 

edit: you prorate his firsst half stats hes a 280/100/30/100 hitter with a 390 OBP

 

Still waiting on Greg Bird to emerge... he's been spending too much time with Ellsbury 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EE gone...

Next up likely will be Didi either given a qualifying offer or just allowed to walk.

Unfortunately, Hicks' injury (what else is new) likely means they work something out with Gardner.

Cole wearing a Boras cap right after the WS game 7 ended means imo that he is going to whoever pays the most.  Yanks need to make that happen imo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, secretagentman said:

EE gone...

Next up likely will be Didi either given a qualifying offer or just allowed to walk.

Unfortunately, Hicks' injury (what else is new) likely means they work something out with Gardner.

Cole wearing a Boras cap right after the WS game 7 ended means imo that he is going to whoever pays the most.  Yanks need to make that happen imo.

 

cole is going to california

 

angels or padres

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

 

cole is going to california

 

angels or padres

Maybe...but if the Yanks offer more money, I would tend to doubt it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, secretagentman said:

Maybe...but if the Yanks offer more money, I would tend to doubt it. 

I think so too. He was wearing a Boras cap after the game 7 loss... I think he sent the message that he wanted to convey and that was probably make your best offer and I'll take the highest one. Bet he comes off the market pretty quickly too, I don't think he'll be signing in late January or even February. Nothing like what we saw last offseason. 

I think they'll end up with Cole and MadBum. They know the window on this group is closing plus they also know they need a little bit more help to get over the hump. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

I think so too. He was wearing a Boras cap after the game 7 loss... I think he sent the message that he wanted to convey and that was probably make your best offer and I'll take the highest one. Bet he comes off the market pretty quickly too, I don't think he'll be signing in late January or even February. Nothing like what we saw last offseason. 

I think they'll end up with Cole and MadBum. They know the window on this group is closing plus they also know they need a little bit more help to get over the hump. 

Yeah, wearing a Boras hat at that point is a pretty good indicator that you are in it for the money imo and was a definite statement.   That is not to say that if the offers are close he might not opt for the looney left coast or that he might be just posturing for get teams to make their best bids and get a bidding war going, but if the Yanks offer the most money I think they have the edge.  That is not to say though that the Angels might not offer something crazy like 10 years and 40M a year, which I can't see the Yankees doing.

Edited by secretagentman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yanks do not extend QO to DiDi

 

looks like they are content with Gleyber at short.  cant say im surprised.  i really hope the Lindor/Kluber trade has some legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

Yanks do not extend QO to DiDi

 

looks like they are content with Gleyber at short.  cant say im surprised.  i really hope the Lindor/Kluber trade has some legs.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious Didi is no longer in their plans imo.  Clearing money out for Cole or whoever they can get.  Paying 18M for a SS they did not need never really made much sense and I think Didi would have taken a QO and they obviously did not want to risk that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Yeah, it was pretty obvious Didi is no longer in their plans imo.  Clearing money out for Cole or whoever they can get.  Paying 18M for a SS they did not need never really made much sense and I think Didi would have taken a QO and they obviously did not want to risk that.

 

they arent clearing money for cole lmao

 

you really need to get this idea out of your head.  MAYBE they go after a madbum or wheeler, but i doubt it.  maybe a bullpen arm.  yanks are not going over the 2nd level luxury tax, def not the 3rdfrom what ive read.

 

our team is going to be the same team that won back to back 100 games the last 2 years, its just Houston will be a good deal worse without Cole and possible their best reliever, Harris.  Cole leaving the Angels immediately makes the Yanks the favorites, Cashman knows this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

 

they arent clearing money for cole lmao

 

you really need to get this idea out of your head.  MAYBE they go after a madbum or wheeler, but i doubt it.  maybe a bullpen arm.  yanks are not going over the 2nd level luxury tax, def not the 3rdfrom what ive read.

 

our team is going to be the same team that won back to back 100 games the last 2 years, its just Houston will be a good deal worse without Cole and possible their best reliever, Harris.  Cole leaving the Angels immediately makes the Yanks the favorites, Cashman knows this.

 

  Anyone who thinks this team is going to win without a #1 is just drinking the Cashman Kool-Aid imo.  Pitching wins pennants and a rotation filled with question marks and number 3s is not getting it done imo.  It is basically saying, we need to get real lucky in the playoffs and that is not what you spend 200M+ a year on imo while hoping to get lucky.  Beating up on the Os and Jays and other weak opponents each year only to lose to the Red Sox, Astros, Indians, etc. in the playoffs hoping these guys pitch more than 2 times through the order is just madness.  If they go in with the same staff hoping Severino stays healthy and is not the stiff he was in the second half of 2018, Tanaka and Paxton pitch better, German improves etc. all without a true number one to shut opponents down in the playoffs is just doing the same thing and hoping for different results...and you know what that is the definition of lol?

They have a window now with some younger stud bats on the cheap that is going to disappear in a few years.  Wasting the opportunity because they are too cheap to spend on the thing they absolutely need the most is folly imo.  It may be folly to give too many years to Cole as well, but that is the hole they have put themselves in because they have failed for the past 25 years to develop true top flight Sps in the farm system and Cashman continues to sign the wrong free agents (see JA Happ).

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2019 at 7:17 PM, jfazz23 said:

 

they arent clearing money for cole lmao

 

you really need to get this idea out of your head.  MAYBE they go after a madbum or wheeler, but i doubt it.  maybe a bullpen arm.  yanks are not going over the 2nd level luxury tax, def not the 3rdfrom what ive read.

 

our team is going to be the same team that won back to back 100 games the last 2 years, its just Houston will be a good deal worse without Cole and possible their best reliever, Harris.  Cole leaving the Angels immediately makes the Yanks the favorites, Cashman knows this.

 

Aren't they gonna go over the tax thresholds in the next few years anyway? They are going to have to pay Judge, Sanchez and Severino soon. Then Gleyber. They're already at 200 million right now. I think the threshold is 208 million. And you're talking about Lindor and Kluber(maybe Clevinger too 😁). You're already demolishing the luxury tax. Now imagine what Cashman is thinking...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if they do want Didi back, not offering the QO was the right move.  If they want him back for something like 4/40, it's a lot harder to negotiate that contract if he's already holding 1/17.8.

 

Paying Judge, Sanchez, Serverino, etc. could be a much different scenario after the new CBA and CBT rules.  Since things are bound to get better for the players, it should get easier, not harder.  Anything that is good for the players is also good for the Yankees.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Craig Edwards, Fangraphs: The Yankees Don’t Spend Like They Used to

Quote

The Yankees don’t have to spend like they used to in order to be successful. They’ve been better with player development, better at holding on to top prospects, better with trades, and better at identifying diamonds in the rough. Getting there cost them several years of playoff baseball, but they are coming off consecutive 100-win seasons, and though those teams didn’t win the World Series, they put themselves in position to have a really good shot. Strengthening the organization overall has allowed them to spend on payroll like they are a run-of-the-mill rich team. They could do more to win even more games and provide a better chance at a title, but it is difficult to know how great the motivation is to do so when they are already winning a lot. It’s also hard to put into perspective just how much they could be spending when they have one of the top payrolls in the game.

[...]

I’m not saying there is a correct number the Yankees should spending. But I think it is fair to point out that the team has been spending at much lower levels than they have in the recent past, that revenue sharing has gone down for the Yankees, that Forbes estimates the club has $156 million in profits over the last decade, and that they had enough money to buy back into a majority share of the YES Network (whose profits are shielded from revenue sharing). It’s also fair to note that the franchise’s sharp downturn coincided with their first pennant-less decade in 100 years, when they started the 1910s as the New York Highlanders. It might also be reasonable to note that the team made it to the ALCS with only two-and-a-half starting pitchers, and that in their first three losses of that series, their starting pitchers averaged under four innings per start, and that in a win-or-go-home contest, the team went with a bullpen game.

The Yankees haven’t been saving money over the last decade. Individuals and families save money; MLB franchises increase profits. The Yankees have spent this time increasing profits and looking for a way to win like they used to without spending like it. The past two seasons have proved successful in that regard. The resulting profits also serve to decrease the club’s chances of winning a World Series. It’s a choice the Yankees have made that differs considerably from the previous decade. The Yankees are trying hard to achieve massive profits and winning baseball, and those two goals often compete against each other. They did so last offseason and at the trade deadline, and it will happen again this winter. We will see what choice they make.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.