jfazz23

New York Yankees 2020 Outlook

23 hours ago, secretagentman said:

Anyone who thinks this team is going to win without a #1 is just drinking the Cashman Kool-Aid imo.  Pitching wins pennants and a rotation filled with question marks and number 3s is not getting it done imo.  It is basically saying, we need to get real lucky in the playoffs and that is not what you spend 200M+ a year on imo while hoping to get lucky.  Beating up on the Os and Jays and other weak opponents each year only to lose to the Red Sox, Astros, Indians, etc. in the playoffs hoping these guys pitch more than 2 times through the order is just madness.  If they go in with the same staff hoping Severino stays healthy and is not the stiff he was in the second half of 2018, Tanaka and Paxton pitch better, German improves etc. all without a true number one to shut opponents down in the playoffs is just doing the same thing and hoping for different results...and you know what that is the definition of lol?

They have a window now with some younger stud bats on the cheap that is going to disappear in a few years.  Wasting the opportunity because they are too cheap to spend on the thing they absolutely need the most is folly imo.  It may be folly to give too many years to Cole as well, but that is the hole they have put themselves in because they have failed for the past 25 years to develop true top flight Sps in the farm system and Cashman continues to sign the wrong free agents (see JA Happ).

Severino is a clear #1 (assuming health).  just look at 2017 and first half 2018.  Sevy, paxton, Tanaka is a better 1, 2,3 than almost every team in baseball.  and with Cole leaving Houston, Yanks become the clear favorite in the AL (maybe in baseball depending on what the dodgers and nats do)...especially if their OFFENSE can stay healthy.

i really like the idea of trading for a left handed bat, who doesnt K a ton, to break up the righties.  Im also not sold that Happ is done.  i think he can have a bounceback.

you give Cole 10 years and 380 million you will be regretting this very soon.  no guarantee he doesnt get hurt (i dont like signing any pitcher for more than 5 years tbh. and if his velocity starts slipping you may be screwed sooner than later.  Plus, he  may HATE new york and not be able to handle it.  then you basically have Aj Burnett for 10 years.

the chris sale contract is screwing the sox already, i dont want to make the same mistake.  they need to sign judge and gleyber tbh...and yes, id try really hard to trade for Lindor if hes available.

21 hours ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Aren't they gonna go over the tax thresholds in the next few years anyway? They are going to have to pay Judge, Sanchez and Severino soon. Then Gleyber. They're already at 200 million right now. I think the threshold is 208 million. And you're talking about Lindor and Kluber(maybe Clevinger too 😁). You're already demolishing the luxury tax. Now imagine what Cashman is thinking...

ellsbury is off the books next year and hes making 22 mil this year.  if happ stinks, they will put him in the pen and cut him next year...which would save 17 million.  and i basically agree.  they need to lock Gleyber up now like the braves did Acuna.  and they are going to have to give judge a 7 or 8 year deal...id actually try to buy out his last 2 years of arbitration if he has a big year this year.  and yea, id like sanchez to show me he can stay healthy, but id try to buy out his last arb year too...just not a super long deal for a catcher who cant DH because of stanton

a big contract to cole may hurt these chances.  even guys like Wheeler are going to look for a patrick corbin like contract.  a (healthy) staff of Sevy, Pax, Tanaka, Happ and then a 5th spot of montgomery, loisiga, deivi garcia or a veteran doesnt look bad on paper.  they can always trade in the year to handle injuries.

Edited by jfazz23

2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

ellsbury is off the books next year and hes making 22 mil this year.  if happ stinks, they will put him in the pen and cut him next year...which would save 17 million.  and i basically agree.  they need to lock Gleyber up now like the braves did Acuna.  and they are going to have to give judge a 7 or 8 year deal...id actually try to buy out his last 2 years of arbitration if he has a big year this year.  and yea, id like sanchez to show me he can stay healthy, but id try to buy out his last arb year too...just not a super long deal for a catcher who cant DH because of stanton

a big contract to cole may hurt these chances.  even guys like Wheeler are going to look for a patrick corbin like contract.  a (healthy) staff of Sevy, Pax, Tanaka, Happ and then a 5th spot of montgomery, loisiga, deivi garcia or a veteran doesnt look bad on paper.  they can always trade in the year to handle injuries.

At least you can book 100 wins again.. then pray in the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

Severino is a clear #1 (assuming health).  just look at 2017 and first half 2018.  Sevy, paxton, Tanaka is a better 1, 2,3 than almost every team in baseball.  and with Cole leaving Houston, Yanks become the clear favorite in the AL (maybe in baseball depending on what the dodgers and nats do)...especially if their OFFENSE can stay healthy.

i really like the idea of trading for a left handed bat, who doesnt K a ton, to break up the righties.  Im also not sold that Happ is done.  i think he can have a bounceback.

you give Cole 10 years and 380 million you will be regretting this very soon.  no guarantee he doesnt get hurt (i dont like signing any pitcher for more than 5 years tbh. and if his velocity starts slipping you may be screwed sooner than later.  Plus, he  may HATE new york and not be able to handle it.  then you basically have Aj Burnett for 10 years.

the chris sale contract is screwing the sox already, i dont want to make the same mistake.  they need to sign judge and gleyber tbh...and yes, id try really hard to trade for Lindor if hes available.

Clear favorite...you are kidding yourself imo.  How you assume Severino is a "clear number one" when he was literally the worst SP in MLB the second half of 2018 and missed most of 2019.  Ace pitchers do not have Jekyl and Hyde seasons and decide to only pitch well for 3 months when they decide to stay on the field.  Remember that great playoff game he had against Minn a couple of years ago...by all rights the Yanks should have lost that game except of course Minn can't beat them under any circumstances.  He MIGHT develop into a number one, but that is far from a sure thing and betting a season on this is folly imo. 

And as for Paxton and Tanaka...Tanaka of the 4+ ERA, disappears at times ilk...Paxton of the oft injured and stunk the first half ilk...Neither pitched great in the playoffs either with good and bad starts.  You are going to compare that to Verlander, Greinke et. al or Clevinger, Kluber, et. al?  You are hoping for a step up or some playoff luck and that is not a plan...it is hope which is folly imo for a team with this type of payroll. 

As to rock and hard place on the contract, that is all true.  The Yanks have done that to themselves because they fail to develop top pitching and sign the wrong guys when they try fix it over the past 25 years (with the exception of Mussina).  So you can ask yourself, continue to do what they have been doing the past couple of years and likely lose again in the playoffs at some point because they run out SPs that can't go more than 4-5 IPs and think a bullpen of 6 or 7 guys is going to save them (it likely will not).  Or you can gamble on finally signing an ace that acts like an ace and hope he does not blow up in your face contract-wise.  Maybe you win, maybe you lose on that front, but at least it offers a chance.  Otherwise, expect them to get knocked out again in the playoffs when their hitting gets shut down by top pitching that can actually go 7+ IPs and their BP arms give it up because they are used every game and their starters only gave them 3 or 4 Ips on a regular basis.  You do not win pennants on the backs of Chad Green's.  You win it on the backs of the David Cone, David Wells and Andy Pettitte types.

What do you think the plan is with Andujar?  Seems like Urshela has firmly planted himself in the Yanks long-term plans.

49 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

What do you think the plan is with Andujar?  Seems like Urshela has firmly planted himself in the Yanks long-term plans.

Part time 1b\DH\3b depending on what Urshella does next year and what happens with Voit and Ford.  They have had enough injuries the past year and with DJL having multi-position flexibility, they should not have a lot of trouble finding 400+ ABs for someone who is producing imo.  That said, what type of health Stanton has likely will play into it as well as he could end up filling DH most of the time if he pulls the same garbage he did this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, secretagentman said:

The Yanks have done that to themselves because they fail to develop top pitching and sign the wrong guys when they try fix it over the past 25 years (with the exception of Mussina).

Sabathia?

6 hours ago, TopChuckie said:

Sabathia?

By and large, Sabathia over the long haul of his original contract and extension was at best a push.  He had not pitched like an ace since 2012 really.  Not that he was all bad, but they were paying ace money (on his original contract and extension) for a guy delivery varying degrees of #3 to #5 SP since 2013.  Later on they re-signed him at the end of his career for lower money, but there is no way they would have given him that deal if they knew he would essentially lose 5+ mphs off his fastball and turn into a #3-4 Sp by 2013.  They extended him as an ace and he really did not deliver that.  Mussina on the other hand, had one of his best seasons in the last year of his career and for the most part pitched at a high level for his entire career (though he too had a few off years along the way).  He too lost mphs off his fastball as he aged, but Mussina was simply more talented with a larger arsenal than Sabathia and adapted a whole lot better.

Edited by secretagentman
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, secretagentman said:

By and large, Sabathia over the long haul of his original contract and extension was at best a push.  He had not pitched like an ace since 2012 really.  Not that he was all bad, but they were paying ace money (on his original contract and extension) for a guy delivery varying degrees of #3 to #5 SP since 2013.  Later on they re-signed him at the end of his career for lower money, but there is no way they would have given him that deal if they knew he would essentially lose 5+ mphs off his fastball and turn into a #3-4 Sp by 2013.  They extended him as an ace and he really did not deliver that.  Mussina on the other hand, had one of his best seasons in the last year of his career and for the most part pitched at a high level for his entire career (though he too had a few off years along the way).  He too lost mphs off his fastball as he aged, but Mussina was simply more talented with a larger arsenal than Sabathia and adapted a whole lot better.

agree on sabathia.  he was an ace for half his contract.  and a back of the rotation guy the rest (a few years he was not even that).  its why i dont like giving these pitchers 8+ year contracts.

yes.  the yanks are clear favorite.  houston losing Cole and Harris put the yanks at top pretty easily.

im judging severino based on 2017 and first half 2018.  he was clearly hurt 2nd half of 2018.  he looked good the little bit he pitched this year, he was just basically in spring training and couldnt go deep.

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

agree on sabathia.  he was an ace for half his contract.  and a back of the rotation guy the rest (a few years he was not even that).  its why i dont like giving these pitchers 8+ year contracts.

yes.  the yanks are clear favorite.  houston losing Cole and Harris put the yanks at top pretty easily.

im judging severino based on 2017 and first half 2018.  he was clearly hurt 2nd half of 2018.  he looked good the little bit he pitched this year, he was just basically in spring training and couldnt go deep.

I am not buying he was hurt the second half of 2018.  I can't imagine the Yanks management is that crazy that they would risk sending a hurt SP of his potential out there and indeed start him in a do or die playoff game if he was hurt (where by all rights our season should have ended because he was awful).  There were all sorts of speculation at the time from him being tired, to him tipping pitches, to him just outright being off for whatever reason.  Who knows.  Bottom line is if you trust him to perform as an ace in 2020, you are doing so based on hope\faith.  To me, 200M+ payroll and you should be doing better than praying and relying on your faith.  A bit of luck is always in play and sometimes as the saying goes, it pays to be lucky rather than good, but I just do not trust the guy to be anything more than inconsistent until he proves he can pitch April through October like a top SP.   Betting another season on him stepping up is just crazy imo.

As to being the favorites, I would not agree.  To me, Houston with Verlander, Greinke and whatever else they have still has 2 Sps better than anything we have (and that is not to say they will not sign another SP (though obviously no one as expensive as Cole)).  Houston has a far better rotation, can fix whatever issues they have in the bullpen in the offseason and their hitting is comparable.  The Yanks lost because they ran a bunch of clowns out their for starters that could not go deep and match up with Houston (Tanaka one good game, one bad...same for Paxton)...that is not going to change barring a major step up from Severino and Paxton.  Relying on that and the idiotic bullpen games and musical relief pitchers after the 2nd time through the lineup is just repeating the same routine and hoping for a different result.  It is not a sound strategy...in fact it is the definition of insanity.

As to Cole, in an ideal world the Yanks would be able to not have to commit long term to a SP at that type of cash.  I do not see an alternative.  It is what it is and it is a hole of their own making because they have both failed to develop top pitching and failed with free agent signings in recent years to address it.  It is what it is as they say.  They passed on Verlander, Scherzer, Sale, Morton, Corbyn, etc.  Pitts sent Cole to Houston despite an inferior offer.  You can't just keep passing and missing out on top SPs and play this band-aid game and expect to get over the hump.  They need a top SP really badly.  Anyone that thinks otherwise is just deluding themselves with wishful thinking.  It would be a shame if they did not take the chance to establish 2 or 3 titles while they have the window.  In 3-4 years, Judge, Torres and others will get big bucks and barring Steinbrenner breaking the bank on the luxury tax (not seeing that happen as he is not his father), they simply will either have to let some of them walk or have to look elsewhere on the cheap.  The window is now to establish the foundation.  You can't build a house when your foundation lacks solid footing (namely some top Sps).

Edited by secretagentman

3 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

I am not buying he was hurt the second half of 2018.  I can't imagine the Yanks management is that crazy that they would risk sending a hurt SP of his potential out there and indeed start him in a do or die playoff game if he was hurt (where by all rights our season should have ended because he was awful).  There were all sorts of speculation at the time from him being tired, to him tipping pitches, to him just outright being off for whatever reason.  Who knows.  Bottom line is if you trust him to perform as an ace in 2020, you are doing so based on hope\faith.  To me, 200M+ payroll and you should be doing better than praying and relying on your faith.  A bit of luck is always in play and sometimes as the saying goes, it pays to be lucky rather than good, but I just do not trust the guy to be anything more than inconsistent until he proves he can pitch April through October like a top SP.   Betting another season on him stepping up is just crazy imo.

As to being the favorites, I would not agree.  To me, Houston with Verlander, Greinke and whatever else they have still has 2 Sps better than anything we have (and that is not to say they will not sign another SP (though obviously no one as expensive as Cole)).  Houston has a far better rotation, can fix whatever issues they have in the bullpen in the offseason and their hitting is comparable.  The Yanks lost because they ran a bunch of clowns out their for starters that could not go deep and match up with Houston (Tanaka one good game, one bad...same for Paxton)...that is not going to change barring a major step up from Severino and Paxton.  Relying on that and the idiotic bullpen games and musical relief pitchers after the 2nd time through the lineup is just repeating the same routine and hoping for a different result.  It is not a sound strategy...in fact it is the definition of insanity.

As to Cole, in an ideal world the Yanks would be able to not have to commit long term to a SP at that type of cash.  I do not see an alternative.  It is what it is and it is a hoole of their own making becuase they have both failed to develop top pitching and failed with free agent signings in recent years to address it.  it is what it is as they say.  They passed on Verlander, Scherzer, Sale, Morton, Corbyn, etc.  Pitts sent Cole to Houston despite an inferior offer.  You can't just keep passing and missing out on top SPs and play this band-aid game and expect to get over the hump.  They need a top SP really badly.  Anyone that thinks otherwise is just deluding themselves with wishful thinking.  It would be a shame if they did not take the chance to establish 2 or 3 titles while they have the window.  In 3-4 years, Judge, Torres and others will get big bucks and barring Steinbrenner breaking the bank on the luxury tax (not seeing that happen as he is not his father), they simply will either have to let some of them walk or have to look elsewhere on the cheap.  The window is now to establish the foundation.  You can't build a house when your foundation lacks solid footing (namely some top Sps).

ill try to respond to as many points as possible

everything else suggests Sevy was hurt 2nd half 2018.  velocity and spin rate down etc.

they are certainly the favorites if Cole leaves houston.  they could have easily beaten houston this year if they had about 1 or 2 timely hits.  the offense (and health of the offense) was the problem in the postseason.  they beat verlander once.  they beat grienke once, and they let him off the ropes the 2nd time.  cole was not at his best and they let him off the hook....Nationals didnt.  verlander and grienke are also old.  they can start to regress at any time.  plus i question grienke in a full season in the AL.

they passed on Verlander because they thought his shoulder was done. not because of finances.  Scherzer i dont know why.  Sale was a trade, they never "passed on him".  plus the sox would LOVE to get out of the sale contract right now.  Morton said no to NY, family is from Florida.  and corbin got a huge contract and had a decent year.  lets see if he has 5 more in him.  Cole was coming off a 4+ era year in which he increased his HR rate.  no one knew hed be this good and its not a guarantee he would have been in new york.  plus we dont know what they wanted.  

most of your assessment is hindsight.  Banking on Verlander being this good after a few mediocre years and being 34 years old...banking on Cole finding everything after a 4.2 ERA.  im sure if cashman knew how good Scherzer would have been hed EASILY have given him this contract.  you even admitted...we basically got 4 ace years from Sabathia, then we paid him 25 mil a year to be a number 5 for the next 4 or 5 years.

plus the fact that Hal and Cash traded for a HUGE contract with Stanton kind of blows your "Hal is cheap" argument out of the water.  they clearly have a philosophy of not giving pitchers long term deals because you end up eating half of it.  they want to develop pitchers from within which is why you see them signing international guys like Deive Garcia, Luis Media, Contreres etc.

im completely against giving Cole an 8 year deal.  there is NO guarantee that we win 2 or 3 titles in the first 4 years.  he may HATE new york.  the media, the fans.  he may get injured, as SP often do.  then he drops a few miles in veloicty and we basically have a Chris Sale situation (but worse) on our hands.  a number 2 or 3 (or worse at the end of the contract) making 38 mil a year for 6 more years.  then we truly WONT be able to sign Judge, Torres, Sanchez and whoever else we have to sign...

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

ill try to respond to as many points as possible

everything else suggests Sevy was hurt 2nd half 2018.  velocity and spin rate down etc.

they are certainly the favorites if Cole leaves houston.  they could have easily beaten houston this year if they had about 1 or 2 timely hits.  the offense (and health of the offense) was the problem in the postseason.  they beat verlander once.  they beat grienke once, and they let him off the ropes the 2nd time.  cole was not at his best and they let him off the hook....Nationals didnt.  verlander and grienke are also old.  they can start to regress at any time.  plus i question grienke in a full season in the AL.

they passed on Verlander because they thought his shoulder was done. not because of finances.  Scherzer i dont know why.  Sale was a trade, they never "passed on him".  plus the sox would LOVE to get out of the sale contract right now.  Morton said no to NY, family is from Florida.  and corbin got a huge contract and had a decent year.  lets see if he has 5 more in him.  Cole was coming off a 4+ era year in which he increased his HR rate.  no one knew hed be this good and its not a guarantee he would have been in new york.  plus we dont know what they wanted.  

most of your assessment is hindsight.  Banking on Verlander being this good after a few mediocre years and being 34 years old...banking on Cole finding everything after a 4.2 ERA.  im sure if cashman knew how good Scherzer would have been hed EASILY have given him this contract.  you even admitted...we basically got 4 ace years from Sabathia, then we paid him 25 mil a year to be a number 5 for the next 4 or 5 years.

plus the fact that Hal and Cash traded for a HUGE contract with Stanton kind of blows your "Hal is cheap" argument out of the water.  they clearly have a philosophy of not giving pitchers long term deals because you end up eating half of it.  they want to develop pitchers from within which is why you see them signing international guys like Deive Garcia, Luis Media, Contreres etc.

im completely against giving Cole an 8 year deal.  there is NO guarantee that we win 2 or 3 titles in the first 4 years.  he may HATE new york.  the media, the fans.  he may get injured, as SP often do.  then he drops a few miles in veloicty and we basically have a Chris Sale situation (but worse) on our hands.  a number 2 or 3 (or worse at the end of the contract) making 38 mil a year for 6 more years.  then we truly WONT be able to sign Judge, Torres, Sanchez and whoever else we have to sign...

Hal took on Stanton AND still managed to get under the luxury tax.  If you think long term he is paying multiple tier penalties and send the payroll to high 200\low 300M to win, I think your are wishing he was his father.  Not to say he would not push the envelop, but I just can't see him spending whatever it takes. 

And your attitude seems to be long term pitching contracts are bad while long term hitting isn't?  And that you do not want long term contracts and would rather come in second\lose in the ALCS?  We can disagree on pitcher X vs Pitcher Y, but seriously, if you think this team has the starting pitching on paper now to win I think you are just looking through rose colored glasses.  No one is saying Verlander and Greinke are the next coming of Cy Young or Whitey Ford, but they are FAR FAR better and more likely to succeed in the playoffs than anyone we have.  Going cheap and not taking risks is fine up to a point.  But doing so here virtually guarantees more ALCS or ALDS eliminations imo.  You can argue if only this or if only that, if only we got a few more timely hits here or a better performance from pitcher Y there, but that is the product of design.  Top pitching shuts down top hitting far more often than not.  It has been true since the dawn of the game.  This bullpen\relief pitcher nonsense simply does not work in longer series as a general rule unless you get lucky.  Running Paxton and Severino out there two or three times each in a 7 game series vs the likes of Verlander, Cole (where ever he lands), Greinke, Kluber, Beiber, Clevinger,  Scherzer, Strasburg, etc.) is just not a bet I would make if I had alternatives.  And as far as Cole goes, he is about as safe an option to roll the dice on as there is right now.  I rather them take the chance then sit back and hope a bunch of guys that have never proven they can get it done decide to step up or hope you get lucky and the opposition starters have a number of bad games.

On 11/5/2019 at 1:17 AM, jfazz23 said:

they arent clearing money for cole lmao

you really need to get this idea out of your head.  MAYBE they go after a madbum or wheeler, but i doubt it.  maybe a bullpen arm.  yanks are not going over the 2nd level luxury tax, def not the 3rdfrom what ive read.

our team is going to be the same team that won back to back 100 games the last 2 years, its just Houston will be a good deal worse without Cole and possible their best reliever, Harris.  Cole leaving the Angels immediately makes the Yanks the favorites, Cashman knows this.

The Astros will have McCullers back and they have the ammo to make a trade (Tucker). This is the same team that turned Cole and Morton into dominant pitchers. They were even able to turn Wade Miles into a sub 4.00 ERA pitcher despite pitching in the AL.

And they’ll still have their best reliever. Ryan Pressly isn’t going anywhere. 

Cole might sign a 6-8 year deal heavily front-loaded with an opt-out after 2 years. Think 8/$250M with $40M in the first 2 years. Cole goes to the Yanks, wins a title, opt out and moves to CA after 2 years. Meanwhile, the Yanks "only" pay $31M a year for luxury tax purposes

im kind of excited Rothschild is gone and we got a new pitching coach....Matt Blake

6 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

im kind of excited Rothschild is gone and we got a new pitching coach....Matt Blake

Name the last time a pitching coach made a difference for any team lol? They all look good when they have Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine types.  They all look bad when they have no talent to work with.  Just look at the career of Leo Mazzone after he left the Braves and went to Baltimore.  I did not think Rothschild did a bad job.  You can't blame him for Severino getting hurt, German getting suspended, Happ stinking it up, Paxton being Paxton, etc.

On 11/11/2019 at 7:10 PM, secretagentman said:

Name the last time a pitching coach made a difference for any team lol? They all look good when they have Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine types.  They all look bad when they have no talent to work with.  Just look at the career of Leo Mazzone after he left the Braves and went to Baltimore.  I did not think Rothschild did a bad job.  You can't blame him for Severino getting hurt, German getting suspended, Happ stinking it up, Paxton being Paxton, etc.

Name a starting pitcher especially one coming from another team that he has made better?

3 hours ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

Name a starting pitcher especially one coming from another team that he has made better?

Why would you assume a coach can make a pitcher better?  By and large, they are what they are if they are established players and are prone at times to being unable to handle NY.  How they handle younger players is more the issue with coaches imo and since the Yanks never really develop young SPs worth squat, there really is not much to discuss beyond maybe Severino's inconsistency.  Give someone Mussina or Smoltz and they look good because they were HOF'ers.  Give them Carl Pavano or Sonny Gray and they look bad because they are weak and can't handle NY.  Maybe they help with mechanics or approach, but by and large they generally end up being non-factors imo.

Edited by secretagentman

On 11/6/2019 at 9:00 PM, secretagentman said:

Part time 1b\DH\3b depending on what Urshella does next year and what happens with Voit and Ford.  They have had enough injuries the past year and with DJL having multi-position flexibility, they should not have a lot of trouble finding 400+ ABs for someone who is producing imo.  That said, what type of health Stanton has likely will play into it as well as he could end up filling DH most of the time if he pulls the same garbage he did this year.

andujar should be converted to full time 1b. Voit and Ford are flash in the pans.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, MrWannaBee said:

andujar should be converted to full time 1b. Voit and Ford are flash in the pans.

I wouldn’t call Voit a flash in the pan. Before he had his abdominal injury last year he was hitting.289/.393/.509 with 17 hrs, 50 RBIs, and 53 runs in 78 games. That’s after going.322/.398/.671 in 47 games in 2018. I wouldn’t take his numbers after June 29th last year  trying to play through a tear in his abdominal region as reflective of his true talent level.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrWannaBee said:

voit had a 900+OPS and was on pace for 34ish homeruns, 100 rbis and 100 runs through the first 78 games last year.  he was also dominant in late 2018.

how is he a "flash in the pan"????

edit: sorry @meh2you said the same thing i didnt read your response.  i was so flabbergasted that someone thinks voit isnt a serious offensive player

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MrWannaBee said:

I agree with the two posters above.  Voit is no flash in the pan.  He is the real deal.

20 hours ago, secretagentman said:

Why would you assume a coach can make a pitcher better?  By and large, they are what they are if they are established players and are prone at times to being unable to handle NY.  How they handle younger players is more the issue with coaches imo and since the Yanks never really develop young SPs worth squat, there really is not much to discuss beyond maybe Severino's inconsistency.  Give someone Mussina or Smoltz and they look good because they were HOF'ers.  Give them Carl Pavano or Sonny Gray and they look bad because they are weak and can't handle NY.  Maybe they help with mechanics or approach, but by and large they generally end up being non-factors imo.

Isn't that their job to make pitchers better? Established pitchers like Cole, Morton, Gray all got better. Hell Gray pitched like a Cy Young contender in the 2nd half. When time after time pitchers come to the Yankees and get worse the excuse of not being able to handle NY loses it's luster. 

• Like 1

Jacoby Ellsbury’s disappointing tenure with the New York Yankees has come to an end.

The Yankees announced they released the 36-year-old veteran prior to Wednesday’s 8 p.m. 40-man roster deadline. By releasing Ellsbury, the Yankees will eat the $26 million remaining on the seven-year, $153 million free-agent contract that was signed prior to the 2014 season.

New York also announced first baseman Greg Bird has been designated for assignment.

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

Jacoby Ellsbury’s disappointing tenure with the New York Yankees has come to an end.

The Yankees announced they released the 36-year-old veteran prior to Wednesday’s 8 p.m. 40-man roster deadline. By releasing Ellsbury, the Yankees will eat the $26 million remaining on the seven-year, $153 million free-agent contract that was signed prior to the 2014 season.

New York also announced first baseman Greg Bird has been designated for assignment.

Not really surprising.  I doubt anyone even claims Bird and he likely is going to go to AAA to rebuild some value (maybe) as his value in a trade or free agent market is zero imo.