jfazz23

New York Yankees 2020 Outlook

On 11/1/2019 at 2:17 AM, jfazz23 said:

cole is going to california

angels or padres

Not even remotely likely. Cole grew up a Yankees fan and already said that geography isn’t a factor. People need to stop assuming he prefers SoCal. There is 0 evidence suggesting that. The Padres can’t afford him and the Angels won’t pay, they needed starters for YEARS but this year they’ll spend because people want them? 😂. Cole is going to either the Yankees (pressure to get ace) or Phillies (most money). I’d bet money on this. 

10 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Not even remotely likely. Cole grew up a Yankees fan and already said that geography isn’t a factor. People need to stop assuming he prefers SoCal. There is 0 evidence suggesting that. The Padres can’t afford him and the Angels won’t pay, they needed starters for YEARS but this year they’ll spend because people want them? 😂. Cole is going to either the Yankees (pressure to get ace) or Phillies (most money). I’d bet money on this. 

phillies crossed my mind but i put about 10% chance on the yankees.  Hal doesnt spend like his father and they are probably thinking about signing Gleyber and Judge....on top of Stanton's already albatross contract

2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

phillies crossed my mind but i put about 10% chance on the yankees.  Hal doesnt spend like his father and they are probably thinking about signing Gleyber and Judge....on top of Stanton's already albatross contract

I think Hal is smart enough to know what the team needs and what a title brings to revenue and franchise value.  Whether he is willing to outbid everyone else in years is the real debate imo.  Only a fool thinks this team is going to get over the hump with a bunch of number 3 Sps along with praying one of them actually develops into something better imo.

4 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

I think Hal is smart enough to know what the team needs and what a title brings to revenue and franchise value.  Whether he is willing to outbid everyone else in years is the real debate imo.  Only a fool thinks this team is going to get over the hump with a bunch of number 3 Sps along with praying one of them actually develops into something better imo.

youre insane if you think Sevi is a #3.  same with paxton when healthy.

again, assuming Cole doesnt go back to houston...yanks prob have the best rotation, offense, and pen in the AL

Edited by jfazz23

8 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

again, assuming Cole doesnt go back to houston...yanks prob have the best rotation, offense, and pen in the AL

Yeah the Sevi that was the absolute worst SP in MLB in the second half of 2018 or that got hammered in a winner take all wild card game vs Minn that year...Or the Paxton of the first half of 2019...when either manages to be on the field that is lol.  Seriously, take off the rose colored glasses.  Severino has not proven a thing beyond his wild inconsistency.  Paxton has not proven anything beyond the fact that he can't stay on the field.  The season is 6 months long + 1 month for the playoffs...not 3 months and show up on the field or decide not pitch like crap whenever the mood strikes you.  Neither of these guys is anything beyond a number 3 until such time as they prove otherwise and you seem to want to pin a pennant on faith that these two guys will get their head out of their back side and play well for an entire season in 2020.  You know what they say about repeating the same thing and expecting different results.  The most likely result is Paxton gets hurt like he always does and Severino continues the Jekyl and Hyde act.

And as to the pen and offense...exactly what has that won them in the past 3 years?  Pitching wins pennants and I do not mean guys that pitch 4 Ips and are gone with the third time through the opponent's lineup. 

12 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

Stanton is getting $20 Million a year, that’s not bad if he‘s healthy and the Yankees can afford Gleyber and Judge long term  AND Cole. I just feel that not winning a WS this long is going to play a role. 

25 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Yeah the Sevi that was the absolute worst SP in MLB in the second half of 2018 or that got hammered in a winner take all wild card game vs Minn that year...Or the Paxton of the first half of 2019...when either manages to be on the field that is lol.  Seriously, take off the rose colored glasses.  Severino has not proven a thing beyond his wild inconsistency.  Paxton has not proven anything beyond the fact that he can't stay on the field.  The season is 6 months long + 1 month for the playoffs...not 3 months and show up on the field or decide not pitch like crap whenever the mood strikes you.  Neither of these guys is anything beyond a number 3 until such time as they prove otherwise and you seem to want to pin a pennant on faith that these two guys will get their head out of their back side and play well for an entire season in 2020.  You know what they say about repeating the same thing and expecting different results.  The most likely result is Paxton gets hurt like he always does and Severino continues the Jekyl and Hyde act.

And as to the pen and offense...exactly what has that won them in the past 3 years?  Pitching wins pennants and I do not mean guys that pitch 4 Ips and are gone with the third time through the opponent's lineup. 

Sevy‘s stats in 2017 and 2018 say he’s an ace. 

2017: 193.1 IP 2.98 ERA 3.07 FIP 3.04 XFIP

2018: 191.1 IP 3.39 ERA 2.95 FIP 3.10 XFIP

17 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

He is. Severino has the makeup to be an ace, also Paxton has the ability to become one too. Those stats thewildone showed in his post is spot on. I believe the Yankees sign Cole. 

8 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Sevy‘s stats in 2017 and 2018 say he’s an ace. 

2017: 193.1 IP 2.98 ERA 3.07 FIP 3.04 XFIP

2018: 191.1 IP 3.39 ERA 2.95 FIP 3.10 XFIP

He is wearing those rose colored glasses and only sees the 2019 season. Nothing else matters. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 9:27 PM, shakestreet said:

Jacoby Ellsbury’s disappointing tenure with the New York Yankees has come to an end.

I smell retirement

9 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

agree.  which is why im against giving Cole 9 years

10 hours ago, shakestreet said:

He is. Severino has the makeup to be an ace, also Paxton has the ability to become one too. Those stats thewildone showed in his post is spot on. I believe the Yankees sign Cole. 

He is wearing those rose colored glasses and only sees the 2019 season. Nothing else matters. 

I definitely agree with you on Cole and on that guy wearing rose colored glasses and ignoring facts.

Both!

Tis the time for bold action!  Sign both Cole and Strasburg.  Trade Happ.

2020 Rotation...Cole, Strasburg, Paxton, Sevy and Tanaka.

2021 payroll commitments are very low right now for the Yankees...only $94.7 million committed.  Of course, you have to sign your own guys who will start getting pricier after this year, but its technically possible for the Yankees to sign both, suck up the tax this year and then drop under the penalty threshold in 2021, thereby re-setting the luxury tax penalties.

If you are gonna spend, spend on the top, top guys.  Not on mid-carders.

Edited by Gotham_Soldier
  • Like 1

I honestly think this is gonna be a two horse race between the Yanks and Angels for Cole. If the money is about even, where do you think he prefers? He claims there is no west coast bias, maybe it's true, maybe it's not, but the Yanks definitely are in better shape to contend than the Angels. But then again he grew up in Socal and there probably is some west coast bias. Just wondering what all of you think. I personally am an Angels fan but I like hearing what others have to say on Cole. Unless maybe the Dodgers jump in I really only see Anaheim and NY really in on Cole. It's gonna cost either team A LOT of money he's what both teams so desperately need.

5 hours ago, RedRaider27 said:

I honestly think this is gonna be a two horse race between the Yanks and Angels for Cole. If the money is about even, where do you think he prefers? He claims there is no west coast bias, maybe it's true, maybe it's not, but the Yanks definitely are in better shape to contend than the Angels. But then again he grew up in Socal and there probably is some west coast bias. Just wondering what all of you think. I personally am an Angels fan but I like hearing what others have to say on Cole. Unless maybe the Dodgers jump in I really only see Anaheim and NY really in on Cole. It's gonna cost either team A LOT of money he's what both teams so desperately need.

How many athletes sign for location really?  I feel like we hear this a lot,  but it's dollars that always make the difference.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

How many athletes sign for location really?  I feel like we hear this a lot,  but it's dollars that always make the difference.  

Yeah, the only time they seem to care about location is if they arw getting out of some cold place to a nice warm ciry, or are about to retire and want to enjoy the last bit of their career. 

Its why trout stayed in Anaheim.

I guess bronbron kinda went home to a s---y place in Cleveland, but he had 'unfinished business' and bounced outta there as soon as he could. Which goes to the moving out of cold a** places to somewhere nice.

Im sure the guadzillion dollars Trout got had nothing to do with that decision...

Bron was the one i could think of. 

5 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

Im sure the guadzillion dollars Trout got had nothing to do with that decision...

Bron was the one i could think of. 

The original poster was making just that point.  Trout took the money even though his home town Phils would have given him tons to return back to his roots.  Patrick Corbin was suppose to be a sure thing for his boyhood team aka the Yankees to sign and his brother was even running around wearing NY gear at the time too but he ends up with the Nats instead. 

Basketball is a different beast since one or two mega-players can carry a team to glory these days and they call the shots on who is on that team.  That sport is way off the rails.  So LeBron's brief vacation in Cleveland turned out in the end just to be good PR for him as he quickly moved on.

• Like 1

Crazy amount of money Colevgot but the Yankees needed an ace. They havent had one since CC Sabathia and they only had him in his prime for a couple of years. They are clearly the favorites to win the 2020 world series.

• Haha 1

This is a joyous day!  WOOHOO, welcome, Gerrit - make yourself at home!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

Crazy amount of money Colevgot but the Yankees needed an ace. They havent had one since CC Sabathia and they only had him in his prime for a couple of years. They are clearly the favorites to win the 2020 world series.

CC was very good the first 4 years of his contract