lbjames6

Christian Wood 2019-2020 Outlook

With Blake out for the next week and possibly more, CWood is looking like a sneaky pickup in deep leagues. In 17 minutes a game this preseason he had a stat line of 55% FG/83% FT/13.2/7.2 with .8 blocks and 1 TO per game. Markieff Morris is also a little banged up with a back issue.

• Like 1

There's a real reason he never stays on a roster, or he's the last guy for a month or two then wavered by teams. He doesn't understand set coaching plays thoroughly, or flow/mesh properly with the team on the court and chemistry/scoring tends to breakdown/fail.

NBA GMs and coaches aren't playing fantasy basketball. They are running actual NBA teams and, as any casual basketball should know, stats aren't everything. A lot of guys could put up nice numbers if given enough minutes and usage, but would they actually make their teams better? Apparently, a majority of them do not believe Wood falls into this category despite his juicy per-minute stats, so it doesn't matter what you or I may think in the end. Honestly, you're only shooting yourself in the foot by being so closed-minded as to not understand how GMs and coaches think but hey, you keep doing you, friend. With all of that said, Wood is still fantasy relevant in deep leagues, especially given Blake's annual injury concerns including now.

It would not surprise me at all if he's not on this team mid-season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MilesBridgesBetterThanZion said:

There's a real reason he never stays on a roster, or he's the last guy for a month or two then wavered by teams. He doesn't understand set coaching plays thoroughly, or flow/mesh properly with the team on the court and chemistry/scoring tends to breakdown/fail.

NBA GMs and coaches aren't playing fantasy basketball. They are running actual NBA teams and, as any casual basketball should know, stats aren't everything. A lot of guys could put up nice numbers if given enough minutes and usage, but would they actually make their teams better? Apparently, a majority of them do not believe Wood falls into this category despite his juicy per-minute stats, so it doesn't matter what you or I may think in the end. Honestly, you're only shooting yourself in the foot by being so closed-minded as to not understand how GMs and coaches think but hey, you keep doing you, friend. With all of that said, Wood is still fantasy relevant in deep leagues, especially given Blake's annual injury concerns including now.

He is basically a Greg Monroe 2.0 in my opinion and look where he is. 

25 minutes ago, j3rkthenurk said:

He is basically a Greg Monroe 2.0 in my opinion and look where he is. 

More like a Marquise Chris's, Terrance Jones. 

Still considering dropping Bamba for a run with this guy. At least the pathway to minutes is clearer in the short to medium term. 

2 hours ago, MilesBridgesBetterThanZion said:

I agree..

He puts up fantastic numbers when given playing time, but he can't stick on an NBA roster. 

Maybe he gets run now, but I'm skeptic if coaches give a guy like this run when playoff chances are still somewhat reality. 

well, he sure is taking advantage of every opportunity he's given

Edited by doomz

Why is trash a** Markieff Morris starting over this guy when Blake is out?

He's uber talented. He's good enough to be starting for the next few weeks, and should be the first big off the bench when Griffin returns. Whether it plays out like that in reality though, who knows?

9 minutes ago, Asero said:

Should i drop Dwight Powell for him?

Powell should be back soon and is presumably starting. I wouldn't do that for what looks like a short term move.

I did however, drop JaVale for him if it gives you a rough idea of where I value Wood right now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 7614 said:

Wood, Portis or Holmes? 

I'm wondering the same thing. All 3 have people saying run, don't walk, and all 3 are available on my wire

Holmes is probably your best choice at this moment.. bagley being out at least 5 weeks. I think it allowed a quick uptempo game for box cause of how athletic Holmes is compared to dedmon. Blake should be back soon, so if you want to take a flier then do so.. my  opinion holmes

• Like 4

Similar situation as OKC in Adam and Noel.

Both Noel and Wood have a tantalizing talent and all they need is playing time.

I'm going to stash Wood.