lbjames6

Christian Wood 2019-2020 Outlook

Wood is the obvious play for the Pistons, but Casey gonna Casey; so be prepared for Kieff and Thon getting big minutes.  There was a reason he was let go in Toronto...Detroit (if they haven’t already figured it out) is gonna find out.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kawz said:

Wood is the obvious play for the Pistons, but Casey gonna Casey; so be prepared for Kieff and Thon getting big minutes.  There was a reason he was let go in Toronto...Detroit (if they haven’t already figured it out) is gonna find out.

Kieff already ruled out today so he has no excuse to not play Wood

6 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Kieff already ruled out today so he has no excuse to not play Wood

That’s true, I’m talking behind today’s game though (assuming Kieff returns shortly).  I can’t imagine Griffin plays much longer so I’m removing him from the equation.

Edited by Kawz

1 minute ago, Kawz said:

That’s true, I’m talking behind today’s game though (assuming Kieff returns shortly).  I can’t imagine Griffin plays much longer so I’m removing him from the equation.

For sure i think its time to shut him down and let Wood develop

LOl man I can't wait until owners come back tonight and complain how THON got the start over him .. xD I was shook when it happened the first time... lol learned my lesson to wait till I hear some concrete news on griffin. Both woods, and noels are great players that are handcuffed by their bigs. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kawz said:

Yeah, I’m a Raptors fan too. His handling of young players was frustrating to watch at times. He was to hard on them. Casey is a very good coach though. 

I’m fine with how Casey is handling Wood.

Minutes are trending up. That’s all you can ask. I mean, do you expect Wood to go from never playing meaningful minutes to getting 30+ a night and closing out games. Seems ill-advised.

52 minutes ago, 7614 said:

Yeah, I’m a Raptors fan too. His handling of young players was frustrating to watch at times. He was to hard on them. Casey is a very good coach though. 

LOL Casey is not a very good coach. He's an average coach who doesn't make the team better nor much worse

• Like 1

Does anyone here closely watch Pistons games and Woods' play? Any input?

I poked my head in here to learn more, yet last several pages haven't revealed any insight. How is he IRL? I just want to see if this isn't one of situations where fantasy owners just look at fantasy stats and get mad that Nerlens Noel isn't playing 30 mpg.

Otherwise I'll have to force myself to sit through a couple Pistons games for analysis

Edit - Whoa, just did a quick advanced stats check, and he's #1 in net rating on the team (at least 15 mpg). #3 offensive rating and #2 defensive rating

Edited by hoop
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Is Casey capable of developing Wood?

Anyone have any insight?

He uses some advanced metrics like 0.5 * CHUB (Contested Hoops Under Basket) which don't always tell the full story.

I'd say he needs some more visual evidence and some manipulation from the front office to get there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bballshinobi said:

LOL Casey is not a very good coach. He's an average coach who doesn't make the team better nor much worse

How isn’t he a great coach if he won coach of the year a few seasons ago, established the zone defence that took out Miami in the Finals with the Mavs, transformed the Raptors organization with his pound the rock mentality, coached the Pistons to their first playoff appearance in years? Maybe you don’t think he’s a good coach because he’s not favouring the players you want in your fantasy team. Your fantasy team is irrelevant to these pros. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hoop said:

Does anyone here closely watch Pistons games and Woods' play? Any input?

I poked my head in here to learn more, yet last several pages haven't revealed any insight. How is he IRL? I just want to see if this isn't one of situations where fantasy owners just look at fantasy stats and get mad that Nerlens Noel isn't playing 30 mpg.

Otherwise I'll have to force myself to sit through a couple Pistons games for analysis

Edit - Whoa, just did a quick advanced stats check, and he's #1 in net rating on the team (at least 15 mpg). #3 offensive rating and #2 defensive rating

I have Drummond and I’ve tuned into pretty much every Pistons game. Woods minutes will be based on how good or bad Griffin is ROS. Casey doesn’t have a long leash with him atm. He’s a bit slight and struggles when it comes to guarding larger bigs, he has a lot of energy and nice touch around the rim. He’s a good off the ball shot blocker and good at defending the perimeter. He’s like a skinnier Holmes with a better 3. Thon Maker gets minutes over him sometimes because Wood can’t match up against legit bigs. He gets bodied. That’s why he will probably never get the 30 mins people want. They are just too stacked at the 4 with more established post defenders and Drummond plays heavy minutes at the 5. But Wood is earning more PT with his play. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bballshinobi said:

Casey is the Demar Derozan of coaches. Too soon?😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, 7614 said:

How isn’t he a great coach if he won coach of the year a few seasons ago, established the zone defence that took out Miami in the Finals with the Mavs, transformed the Raptors organization with his pound the rock mentality, coached the Pistons to their first playoff appearance in years? Maybe you don’t think he’s a good coach because he’s not favouring the players you want in your fantasy team. Your fantasy team is irrelevant to these pros. 

Coaches win COY not because of their coaching ability, but for team performance relative to expectation. Here are a couple more guys that won COYs and fired soon after:

• Byron Scott 
  • Avery Johnson
  • Sam Mitchell
  • Mike Brown

I call them the "preacher coaches". They always preach basketball gospels like "play the right way", "earn your minutes",  and "build up consistency", but that's just excuses for their inconsistent rotation and playing time allotment. 

To me, Casey falls into the same group as these guys - coaches who present to the public a defense first, hard work pays off type of team persona. Their teams tend to overachieve in the regular season but get exposed in the playoffs because they can't adjust their systems to the personnel. This "pound the rock" way of thinking/coaching is exactly why these coaches always get fired after a couple of years. They are so stuck in their own way they never adjust their strategy to fit what they got. When they are handed a decent to good roster, they will win a few more games than expected, so they might win a COY before getting fired. If they get handed a young/bad team, then they end up looking like Jim Boylen, Scott Brooks. 

Edited by bballshinobi
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

Coaches win COY not because of their coaching ability, but for team performance relative to expectation. Here are a couple more guys that won COYs and fired soon after:

• Byron Scott 
  • Avery Johnson
  • Sam Mitchell
  • Mike Brown

I call them the "preacher coaches". They always preach basketball gospels like "play the right way", "earn your minutes",  and "build up consistency", but that's just excuses for their inconsistent rotation and playing time allotment. 

To me, Casey falls into the same group as these guys - coaches who present to the public a defense first, hard work pays off type of team persona. Their teams tend to overachieve in the regular season but get exposed in the playoffs because they can't adjust their systems to the personnel. This "pound the rock" way of thinking/coaching is exactly why these coaches always get fired after a couple of years. They are so stuck in their own way they never adjust their strategy to fit what they got. When they are handed a decent to good roster, they will win a few more games than expected, so they might win a COY before getting fired. If they get handed a young/bad team, then they end up looking like Jim Boylen, Scott Brooks. 

As a black man this hurts LOL

Edited by indigorivers

14 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

• Byron Scott 
  • Avery Johnson
  • Sam Mitchell
  • Mike Brown

Don’t forget everyone’s favorite Scott skiles, and tom thibodeau.

Quality post btw, I’ve always thought this exact same thing about the same coaches. They stifle development and help instill a hard working culture in teams, but they have terrible game sense/in game management/x and o creativity, and therefore they peak quickly and look bad against properly coached teams because they can’t make adjustments.

Usually they are a sort of gateway from being perennially bad into just getting a culture change, but you’ll need to fire them after because the team will either sink back down when the novelty wears off and epic half time speeches aren’t enough to win you games (coach ends up getting tuned out), young players become disgruntled for what is seen as unfair treatment (creates chemistry issues), or they simply can’t get past the first round every year.

God I’ll never forget demarre carroll putting up 0 points in multiple games on several three point bricks, while Norman powell would come in and score 10 quick points in 5 minutes and get yanked for nothing but “needing to still learn the game”, and then get a dnp cd the next game, fun times, and now casey is repeating it with wood.

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

• Byron Scott 
  • Avery Johnson
  • Sam Mitchell
  • Mike Brown

As a Toronto resident I was trying I put into words the way I felt about Casey.  You did a better job than I could have.  I thought Casey should have been fired 2 years earlier, even with the team still on the rise.  

3 minutes ago, Kawz said:

As a Toronto resident I was trying I put into words the way I felt about Casey.  You did a better job than I could have.  I thought Casey should have been fired 2 years earlier, even with the team still on the rise.  

he should have been fired after we were swept by the wizards. All the core knowledgeable fans absolutely hated him at that point, and the aura around the team felt in desperation, we completely gave up and looked defeated. It was dumb bringing him back another year, but hey we got kawhi and that’s that.

• Like 1

On the bright side, if you check wood’s game log, he had two games with 20 plus minutes, got injured in Toronto (played 6 min), first game back 8 min (easing him in), and last two 20 plus. So if we throw out those two games due to his injury, we can technically say he’s played 20 plus in 4 straight. Thats the first time all season.

in those 4 games he’s averaged 12 ppg, 7.7 boards, .7 blocks and not much else in 23 min on average and just under 8 fga per game

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

OT but look at Casey’s year by year winning percentages in Toronto. Damn.

The team improved its winning % every year except for one. And that year it “fell” to .622 from .683.

it’s a reflection of Lowry and demar feasting on a bad eastern conference for years. Philly wasn’t philly, Boston was post championship and rebuilding. The only good teams at the time were Bud’s hawks and Lebron Miami/cavs. We had almost no competition. We would go out west and get dismantled by teams, and many of our fans knew the team was a facade because our offense was so stale. Guys would stand around watching Corey Joseph dribble out shot clocks, Lowry had no space to work with, and we overly relied on giving demar the ball every possession while everyone else watches.

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 1