lbjames6

Christian Wood 2019-2020 Outlook

52 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

Coaches win COY not because of their coaching ability, but for team performance relative to expectation. Here are a couple more guys that won COYs and fired soon after:

• Byron Scott 
  • Avery Johnson
  • Sam Mitchell
  • Mike Brown

I call them the "preacher coaches". They always preach basketball gospels like "play the right way", "earn your minutes",  and "build up consistency", but that's just excuses for their inconsistent rotation and playing time allotment. 

To me, Casey falls into the same group as these guys - coaches who present to the public a defense first, hard work pays off type of team persona. Their teams tend to overachieve in the regular season but get exposed in the playoffs because they can't adjust their systems to the personnel. This "pound the rock" way of thinking/coaching is exactly why these coaches always get fired after a couple of years. They are so stuck in their own way they never adjust their strategy to fit what they got. When they are handed a decent to good roster, they will win a few more games than expected, so they might win a COY before getting fired. If they get handed a young/bad team, then they end up looking like Jim Boylen, Scott Brooks. 

About to make a long post, some of this may not be relevant to Christian Wood. But it could be helpful and insightful when looking at how Casey would play him and run this Pistons team ROS. 

You’re spreading a lot misinformed stuff. You seem to have some kind of prejudice. Difference between Casey and those coaches is Casey actually knows his Xs and Os and he has a pretty impressive record as a coach. Minus Mike Brown those guys were NBA players and relied on their basketball brains as players to land them jobs. Casey had to grind from the bottom and work his way up. He knows his coaching and basketball. 

You kinda picked at one thing in my post and ignored the rest. I agree that Casey at times can be frustrating with the rotations. But his defensive schemes can be masterful at times. He doesn’t get enough credit from outside sources when it comes to this, 3 examples

1) The Mavs defensive schemes and match ups against Miami in the Finals. Casey was the spear head for that. It’s what landed him the coaching job in Toronto. 
2) Nick Nursed used many of his defensive schemes last season and during the playoffs. Raptors only got beat by LeBron led superteams last few years under Casey. 
3) Pistons have improved ten fold defensively compared to other years. They made the playoffs for the first time in years and many of their players are having career years. How much further was he expected to bring them in playoffs? Their ceiling is first round exit. 

How is this getting exposed in the playoffs? The Raptors were only beaten by LeBron led superteams when they stared to emerge under Casey. That was their ceiling with DeMar and Lowry. 

More reasons... 

4) “Pound the Rock” isn’t just “preaching”. He actually changes the defensive culture of these teams. He’s the first coach to hold Lowry accountable, he’s also the first coach to give him a chance. Before Casey, Lowry was fat, lazy, wanted to leave Toronto and complained all the time about everything. His teammates hated him. Now he’s a leader. Several Raptors players gave Casey immense credit for their title run and continued defensive intensity and pressure. Before he came to the team, they were close to dead last in defence. So I trust their opinion more than a fantasy basketball fans. 

5) Not sure how he can’t adapt his system. Tony Snell is shooting career highs from 3 and actually looks like a solid and relevant player. Luke Kennard is averaging career highs and looked like an emerging breakout player before he got injured. Svi Mykhailiuk is shooting lights out and looks promising, Bruce Brown has learnt a whole new position and actually contributing and playing well for a young guy, they are all getting good looks. Wood has had a shorter leash than other players, but that’s because there are established players making bank that are playing over him and he gambles to much on steals and blocks. That pisses Casey off. He’s managed Rose minutes well and he hasn’t picked up any injures. Only issue is Blake Griffin, who is letting Casey and the whole team down immensely. 

6) “Young Bad teams” Sorry but what coach is going to do well coaching a bad team? Want to know an average coach using your logic this season? Greg Popavich, his rotations suck, his team stinks and if Casey is average, how isn’t Pop? Maybe Pop was just a ride along to Duncan and co. It remains to be seen how he can handle a young team with players like Murray, White, Forbes, Poeltl, Lyles. It hasn’t been any better than Detroit. Pop is obviously a good coach, but can’t I make a case for why he’s regressed and average now using your logic? People complain that all Casey did was run Iso for DeMar, but look at the Spurs. DeMar is doing the same iso stuff there. So why blame Casey for that? It’s so hypocritical. Bet you think Pop is still elite though right? Look how Casey’s plays have helped fringe players like Tony Snell and Langston Galloway relevant. 

7) Nick Nurse is kind of a fraud, the guy still relies on the players Casey coached up defensively, he uses Casey’s defensive schemes. Nick Nurse is an offensive minded coach, yet the Raptors have still managed to remain one of the top defensive teams, Casey deserves credit for that. Yet Nurse is the one who gets all the praise from Raptors fans. Look at this season, he’s ran FVV, Siakim and Lowry to the ground. No different than what Casey did with the same core group of guys. Difference is Casey didn’t get lucky and have the luxury of coaching Kawhi, he’d have won same way imo. Maybe that’s just what you have to do to get wins with this core group of players. Run Iso. All they do now is run Iso with Siakim, Lowry or Fred and chuck 3. So what’s the difference? He was just a scapegoat for the Raptors. Problem was DeMar’s weak mentality and Lowry chucking up bricks. Look at last years playoffs and all the similar struggles Raptors had before they picked it up. I bet you think Nurse is very good coach though right? 

Pretty much been stressing defence a lot here. That’s because I think Casey is elite in that regard. I refuse to lump Casey in with Scott Brooks. He’s easily a top 10 coach in the league right now. That’s good enough to be “very good” imo. As for Christian Wood, Casey probably limits his minutes due to Woods gambles he takes defensively, lack of size, heavy minutes for Drummond and Morris/Griffin being in the way. 

Sorry if my post gets long, but I read and type fast so it can get a bit wordy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Christian Wood - Off the Bench Monday @UTA. He won't start, despite Griffin and Morris being out

From Basketball Monster

• Like 1

Just now, hoop said:

Christian Wood - Off the Bench Monday @UTA. He won't start, despite Griffin and Morris being out

From Basketball Monster

Expected.

1 hour ago, Lifschitz said:

it’s a reflection of Lowry and demar feasting on a bad eastern conference for years. Philly wasn’t philly, Boston was post championship and rebuilding. The only good teams at the time were Bud’s hawks and Lebron Miami/cavs. We had almost no competition. We would go out west and get dismantled by teams, and many of our fans knew the team was a facade because our offense was so stale. Guys would stand around watching Corey Joseph dribble out shot clocks, Lowry had no space to work with, and we overly relied on giving demar the ball every possession while everyone else watches.

Except they continued to make playoffs every year after being swept and only got beaten by LeBron led super teams after. At least be fair, Cory Joseph left the team a long time ago. He was using Delon Wright and FVV a lot. He introduced the bench mob. Look at the improved record every season. The East top end teams have been better than the West for a few seasons tbh. More so last season. I’d pick Philly, Boston and Milwaukee over Houston, Denver and Portland. It’s a bit different now this season with Lakers and Clippers emerging. At least speak about the last few years and not the failures early on. If it’s such a refection of Demars ability, why are they so bad with similar talent in San Antonio? The West being so much better at the time is just a myth. I can’t find the stats, but I’m willing to bet his record against West teams was pretty good too. Nick Nurse the fraud, is just a coach who has benefited from all the players Casey coached up. He’s over relying on the same 3 guys and everyone is on the injury table now. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 7614 said:

I have Drummond and I’ve tuned into pretty much every Pistons game. Woods minutes will be based on how good or bad Griffin is ROS. Casey doesn’t have a long leash with him atm. He’s a bit slight and struggles when it comes to guarding larger bigs, he has a lot of energy and nice touch around the rim. He’s a good off the ball shot blocker and good at defending the perimeter. He’s like a skinnier Holmes with a better 3. Thon Maker gets minutes over him sometimes because Wood can’t match up against legit bigs. He gets bodied. That’s why he will probably never get the 30 mins people want. They are just too stacked at the 4 with more established post defenders and Drummond plays heavy minutes at the 5. But Wood is earning more PT with his play. 

Very helpful analysis, thanks

10 minutes ago, hoop said:

Very helpful analysis, thanks

No worries, keep a look out for Svi Myk as the season continues. People are mad Wood isn’t getting the start but Svi has been more consistent offensively. I think he’s better offensively than Wood. He’s a lights out shooter and can guard 4s. Casey likes him for small ball line ups. I don’t know how his game translate to fantasy though, with his lack of stocks and supporting stats. Wood is still the best upside player on Detroit for now. Casey gets frustrated with him though because he gambles a lot for steals and blocks and chases rebounds instead of boxing out. These are experience issues though and he’ll come around. 

Edited by 7614
  • Like 1

Kinda interchangeable with Svi Mykhailiuk, he wants two shooters coming off screens or hand offs from Drummond. Wood doesn’t fit that system. I don’t think the people mad that Wood didn’t start actually watch Pistons games. I wouldn’t either, but I have one of their prominent players. 

47 minutes ago, 7614 said:

Except they continued to make playoffs every year after being swept and only got beaten by LeBron led super teams after. At least be fair, Cory Joseph left the team a long time ago. He was using Delon Wright and FVV a lot. He introduced the bench mob. Look at the improved record every season. The East top end teams have been better than the West for a few seasons tbh. More so last season. I’d pick Philly, Boston and Milwaukee over Houston, Denver and Portland. It’s a bit different now this season with Lakers and Clippers emerging. At least speak about the last few years and not the failures early on. If it’s such a refection of Demars ability, why are they so bad with similar talent in San Antonio? The West being so much better at the time is just a myth. I can’t find the stats, but I’m willing to bet his record against West teams was pretty good too. Nick Nurse the fraud, is just a coach who has benefited from all the players Casey coached up. He’s over relying on the same 3 guys and everyone is on the injury table now. 

Casey is that you?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, 7614 said:

About to make a long post, some of this may not be relevant to Christian Wood. But it could be helpful and insightful when looking at how Casey would play him and run this Pistons team ROS. 

You’re spreading a lot misinformed stuff. You seem to have some kind of prejudice. Difference between Casey and those coaches is Casey actually knows his Xs and Os and he has a pretty impressive record as a coach. Minus Mike Brown those guys were NBA players and relied on their basketball brains as players to land them jobs. Casey had to grind from the bottom and work his way up. He knows his coaching and basketball. 

You kinda picked at one thing in my post and ignored the rest. I agree that Casey at times can be frustrating with the rotations. But his defensive schemes can be masterful at times. He doesn’t get enough credit from outside sources when it comes to this, 3 examples

1) The Mavs defensive schemes and match ups against Miami in the Finals. Casey was the spear head for that. It’s what landed him the coaching job in Toronto. 
2) Nick Nursed used many of his defensive schemes last season and during the playoffs. Raptors only got beat by LeBron led superteams last few years under Casey. 
3) Pistons have improved ten fold defensively compared to other years. They made the playoffs for the first time in years and many of their players are having career years. How much further was he expected to bring them in playoffs? Their ceiling is first round exit. 

How is this getting exposed in the playoffs? The Raptors were only beaten by LeBron led superteams when they stared to emerge under Casey. That was their ceiling with DeMar and Lowry. 

More reasons... 

4) “Pound the Rock” isn’t just “preaching”. He actually changes the defensive culture of these teams. He’s the first coach to hold Lowry accountable, he’s also the first coach to give him a chance. Before Casey, Lowry was fat, lazy, wanted to leave Toronto and complained all the time about everything. His teammates hated him. Now he’s a leader. Several Raptors players gave Casey immense credit for their title run and continued defensive intensity and pressure. Before he came to the team, they were close to dead last in defence. So I trust their opinion more than a fantasy basketball fans. 

5) Not sure how he can’t adapt his system. Tony Snell is shooting career highs from 3 and actually looks like a solid and relevant player. Luke Kennard is averaging career highs and looked like an emerging breakout player before he got injured. Svi Mykhailiuk is shooting lights out and looks promising, Bruce Brown has learnt a whole new position and actually contributing and playing well for a young guy, they are all getting good looks. Wood has had a shorter leash than other players, but that’s because there are established players making bank that are playing over him and he gambles to much on steals and blocks. That pisses Casey off. He’s managed Rose minutes well and he hasn’t picked up any injures. Only issue is Blake Griffin, who is letting Casey and the whole team down immensely. 

6) “Young Bad teams” Sorry but what coach is going to do well coaching a bad team? Want to know an average coach using your logic this season? Greg Popavich, his rotations suck, his team stinks and if Casey is average, how isn’t Pop? Maybe Pop was just a ride along to Duncan and co. It remains to be seen how he can handle a young team with players like Murray, White, Forbes, Poeltl, Lyles. It hasn’t been any better than Detroit. Pop is obviously a good coach, but can’t I make a case for why he’s regressed and average now using your logic? People complain that all Casey did was run Iso for DeMar, but look at the Spurs. DeMar is doing the same iso stuff there. So why blame Casey for that? It’s so hypocritical. Bet you think Pop is still elite though right? Look how Casey’s plays have helped fringe players like Tony Snell and Langston Galloway relevant. 

7) Nick Nurse is kind of a fraud, the guy still relies on the players Casey coached up defensively, he uses Casey’s defensive schemes. Nick Nurse is an offensive minded coach, yet the Raptors have still managed to remain one of the top defensive teams, Casey deserves credit for that. Yet Nurse is the one who gets all the praise from Raptors fans. Look at this season, he’s ran FVV, Siakim and Lowry to the ground. No different than what Casey did with the same core group of guys. Difference is Casey didn’t get lucky and have the luxury of coaching Kawhi, he’d have won same way imo. Maybe that’s just what you have to do to get wins with this core group of players. Run Iso. All they do now is run Iso with Siakim, Lowry or Fred and chuck 3. So what’s the difference? He was just a scapegoat for the Raptors. Problem was DeMar’s weak mentality and Lowry chucking up bricks. Look at last years playoffs and all the similar struggles Raptors had before they picked it up. I bet you think Nurse is very good coach though right? 

Pretty much been stressing defence a lot here. That’s because I think Casey is elite in that regard. I refuse to lump Casey in with Scott Brooks. He’s easily a top 10 coach in the league right now. That’s good enough to be “very good” imo. As for Christian Wood, Casey probably limits his minutes due to Woods gambles he takes defensively, lack of size, heavy minutes for Drummond and Morris/Griffin being in the way. 

Sorry if my post gets long, but I read and type fast so it can get a bit wordy. 

Mr. Casey,

To counter your arguments:

(1) Being an HC is completely different than an AC. As an AC you can recommend any strategy you want, the ax isn't falling on your neck if it doesn't work. HC has to take the heat. I'm sure ACs for Mavs suggested bunch of strategies. If anything, give Carlisle credit for picking the right suggestion and giving recognition to Casey for it. 

(2) So what if Nurse is using Casey's defense? I doubt Casey invented the scheme. Coaches steal from one another. If you want to give credit for Casey here, maybe you should give credit to the coach he stole his defense from...?

(3) I didn't expect the Pistons to advance further than they did last year. They accomplished exactly what they were supposed to - make the playoffs and lose in the first round. When you have Blake and Drummond, that's par for the course. Casey didn't make them better, nor made them worse.

(4) Lowry is still fat; uh... what are players supposed to say about a departed coach? "He was terrible", "he held us back", or "Nurse is better"? Come on. They all give politically correct answers 

(5) Sorry Blake is letting you down. But maybe you need to fix your 21st ranked defense when you have a beast like Andre Drummond? Or maybe he's letting you down too?

(6) Losing is ok and expected for a young/bad team, if you are developing the right players. If playing Kennard, Brown, and Wood means losing by 10 instead of losing by 5 with Snell,  Frazier, and Morris. For god's sake, play players who have the potential to grow. 

(7) I am sorry Nick Nurse Steve-Kerred you

12 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

Casey is that you?

No, but I’m not standing for all the Casey slander in here. Every other post it’s just people being harsh on him because he’s not playing the fantasy guy you want. He’s the first coach actually voted by the other coaches in an association, as coach of the year. So no he’s not Mike Brown or Sam Mitchell. Those aren’t even relevant comparisons. At least be fair. The guys a good coach. 

3 hours ago, 7614 said:

No, but I’m not standing for all the Casey slander in here. Every other post it’s just people being harsh on him because he’s not playing the fantasy guy you want. He’s the first coach actually voted by the other coaches in an association, as coach of the year. So no he’s not Mike Brown or Sam Mitchell. Those aren’t even relevant comparisons. At least be fair. The guys a good coach. 

Mr Casey can you please quit your job?

Thanks. 

13 minutes ago, stickman786 said:

Is he a pick up?

If you are trying to win he will probably end up winning people titles 

1 hour ago, wiz said:

If you are trying to win he will probably end up winning people titles 

I like me some Wood but I'm not as hyped as you are on that one, aren't you exaggerating him a bit or do you have absolute belief that he will dominate?

Just now, ItzJaBoiSam said:

As a Raptors fan, I hate Casey just as much as anybody, but to compare him to Fizdale is just criminal LOL

Hey man Fiz did take the Griz to the playoffs and also showed data who is the boss lol

On 1/1/2020 at 3:18 AM, 7614 said:

.. Svi Myk has been outplaying Wood for the 4 spot. He’s young and deserves to play too. 

Agree with most of what you've said but this? Is Svi playing the 4 spot now? Mindblown.