lbjames6

Christian Wood 2019-2020 Outlook

Just now, Obliviate said:

We got some guy named Doumbaya starting over Wood. Lol

You mean their first round pick. God forbide they do that...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

You mean their first round pick. God forbide they do that...

LOL didn't even know that.  He was the 15th pick.  Hoping to be the next Pascal Siakam.  Still weird for them to start a guy who was barely playing though.  It's tough for a young player to play against NBA starters. 

9 minutes ago, vnmslsrbms said:

LOL didn't even know that.  He was the 15th pick.  Hoping to be the next Pascal Siakam.  Still weird for them to start a guy who was barely playing though.  It's tough for a young player to play against NBA starters. 

Everything I've read about him says he has ridiculous potential.

Decent game today that's two in a row. Against the Clipper D too. He's kind of a handcuff to Blake who has still has 92% angry owners on Yahoo.

9 minutes ago, WatchUrAnkle said:

Decent game today that's two in a row. Against the Clipper D too. He's kind of a handcuff to Blake who has still has 92% angry owners on Yahoo.

He ain’t sh$t til he gives us some of that stocky stock- xoxo greedy owner in the forever pursue of more stats

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, WatchUrAnkle said:

Watched the game and Wood was being aggressive. Kept Piston close during the first half.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, WatchUrAnkle said:

I’d be a slightly less angry Blake owner if he got the INJ tag ASAP lol

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, NBA_OG said:

He ain’t sh$t til he gives us some of that stocky stock- xoxo greedy owner in the forever pursue of more stats

At some point Casey won't be able to deny him starting anymore. It's mind boggling that he's letting other guys start ahead of him when he's earned it more than anyone on the roster. He has the highest off/on rating of any player on the team. Him starting is going to be demanded either by fans or by upper management or both. He continues to be a per minute machine, 14/6 in just 24 minutes. If he reaches 30 mpg as a starter he's a sure fire bet to hit some major numbers. He's doing this off the bench and with low usage..that is already solid.

Wait until he doesn't have to watch Rose dribble around and actually gets fed in pick and rolls and can play as a stretch four off of Drummond.

Anyhow, baby steps. A month ago we were just begging for him to get playing time. He's now at 6 straight games with 20 - 28 min, if you discount the two games where he got injured and the first game back where he's being eased in. Before long the stocks/goodies will come back. 

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, nadertime78 said:

Best news you can hear from old T shirt Tommy.  Dude loves the treadmill of mediocrity.

I'm not sure that constitutes treadmilling, he's subtly suggesting it's time for a change (take a step back = tank and rebuild). He's not going to tell fans "we value sucking, so we're going to keep this going" - that would be a treadmill.

edit: ooph, I just saw a shot of Drummond on the bench, he looks absolutely depressed.

Edited by Lifschitz

3 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

At some point Casey won't be able to deny him starting anymore. It's mind boggling that he's letting other guys start ahead of him when he's earned it more than anyone on the roster. He has the highest off/on rating of any player on the team. Him starting is going to be demanded either by fans or by upper management or both. He continues to be a per minute machine, 14/6 in just 24 minutes. If he reaches 30 mpg as a starter he's a sure fire bet to hit some major numbers. He's doing this off the bench and with low usage..that is already solid.

Wait until he doesn't have to watch Rose dribble around and actually gets fed in pick and rolls and can play as a stretch four off of Drummond.

Anyhow, baby steps. A month ago we were just begging for him to get playing time. He's now at 6 straight games with 20 - 28 min, if you discount the two games where he got injured and the first game back where he's being eased in. Before long the stocks/goodies will come back. 

Just watched the Clips game, almost no play call for this guy at all but still putting up. We need more from management. #woodrise

Just now, NBA_OG said:

Just watched the Clips game, almost no play call for this guy at all but still putting up. We need more from management. #woodrise

It's ridiculous, he was their most active player and they're only down 12 points with 6 min to go and he wasn't even put back in the game. Why not just play him the rest of the way and see if he can help you climb back? No, we better keep him at the 24 minute limit - Casey

• Haha 1

I'm not sure that constitutes treadmilling, he's subtly suggesting it's time for a change (take a step back = tank and rebuild). He's not going to tell fans "we value sucking, so we're going to keep this going" - that would be a treadmill.

edit: ooph, I just saw a shot of Drummond on the bench, he looks absolutely depressed.

The treadmill is what the Pistons have been on for years refusing a rebuild and trying to sell the fans the 7th or 8th seed is a good thing.   

Just now, nadertime78 said:

The treadmill is what the Pistons have been on for years refusing a rebuild and trying to sell the fans the 7th or 8th seed is a good thing.   

I agree - but we were dissecting the individual quote you posted. They can't attain top end talent, they tried this experiment by trading for Griffin and it didn't work out for obvious mismatched reasons. Joe Dumars set this franchise back years when he signed Maggette/Ben Gordon and other bums to the most ludicrous contracts post championship. He was too desperate to keep competing instead of realizing it's time to face the music and start over again. 

The roster SVG had wasn't bad, but it seems like he lost his 'Magic' (pun intended).

They need to just tear it down and let Bruce Brown/Wood become mainstay pieces while they tank for a top pick, and trade Drummond for picks, that's all you can do.

Wood is someone that like Whiteside or Richaun Holmes can have a career resurrection here, and the Pistons desperately need it.

RW also just posted that Gores said we're not shutting down Griffin "yet" because he's a warrior, but owners/gms etc also have to sell fans a product, casual fans who buy tickets don't want to hear the team is outright tanking, so sometimes it's about showing one thing but doing another.

I agree - but we were dissecting the individual quote you posted. They can't attain top end talent, they tried this experiment by trading for Griffin and it didn't work out for obvious mismatched reasons. Joe Dumars set this franchise back years when he signed Maggette/Ben Gordon and other bums to the most ludicrous contracts post championship. He was too desperate to keep competing instead of realizing it's time to face the music and start over again. 

The roster SVG had wasn't bad, but it seems like he lost his 'Magic' (pun intended).

They need to just tear it down and let Bruce Brown/Wood become mainstay pieces while they tank for a top pick, and trade Drummond for picks, that's all you can do.

Wood is someone that like Whiteside or Richaun Holmes can have a career resurrection here, and the Pistons desperately need it.

RW also just posted that Gores said we're not shutting down Griffin "yet" because he's a warrior, but owners/gms etc also have to sell fans a product, casual fans who buy tickets don't want to hear the team is outright tanking, so sometimes it's about showing one thing but doing another.

The quote is a suprise from him as he has been hell bent on making the playoffs to sell tickets.... treadmill

8 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

You want them to focus on Wood instead of their #1 draft pick in Dembouya?

11 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

You want them to focus on Wood instead of their #1 draft pick in Dembouya?

They can focus on him as well, I foresee Drummond getting shipped out. It's either that or Casey is getting canned. There's no way they can keep this charade going the rest of the year without making changes. This team looks bad, the talent is lacking, and they seem disinterested in winning - which has been plaguing the franchise for years.

What, do you think Dembouya is just going to step in to 30 min every night after not playing at all all season? Wood has been the most impressive young player on the roster, he's 24 with his first real chance to contribute to a team long term. They can develop them both, this isn't a case of one or the other.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vnmslsrbms said:

Tell that to Doncic

25 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Tell that to Doncic

Dude was the Euroleague MVP at 19.  I ain't tellin him nothin. 

Doumbaya on the other hand, " In 29 Pro A games, including two playoff contests, he averaged 7.7 points and 3.2 rebounds per game. In eight EuroCup appearances, Doumbouya averaged 6.9 points and 2.8 rebounds per game. " 

He will need time.  Although, he has done well in his first start against the clips, and it wasn't the hawks or some loser team.  Good for him!  Weird that they went from not playing him basically at all, to starting him.  These are Doumbouya's G League Numbers.  Dude's got an outside shot, and decent pct's.  Maybe they didn't play him at PF much.  His rebounding is a bit low.  Seems like he was deployed as a 3 and D SF type. 

image.thumb.png.f27d43fb52c238647a45398c5cd0d1ad.png

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 4th and 9ers said:

Did this guy suddenly become allergic to blocks?

I would probably blame this one on Casey as well. I know it seems to be the theme, but looking back to his Raptor coaching days, I swear he tries to teach his bigs to play more straight up positional defence and not take gambles defensively. Gambles or providing help defence can cause deflections, blocks and turnovers. I remember with JV, Ibaka and Amir, I would always wonder why they offered such fewer blocks then in previous seasons. This could be the case with Wood. 

7 hours ago, vnmslsrbms said:

Dude was the Euroleague MVP at 19.  I ain't tellin him nothin. 

Doumbaya on the other hand, " In 29 Pro A games, including two playoff contests, he averaged 7.7 points and 3.2 rebounds per game. In eight EuroCup appearances, Doumbouya averaged 6.9 points and 2.8 rebounds per game. " 

He will need time.  Although, he has done well in his first start against the clips, and it wasn't the hawks or some loser team.  Good for him!  Weird that they went from not playing him basically at all, to starting him.  These are Doumbouya's G League Numbers.  Dude's got an outside shot, and decent pct's.  Maybe they didn't play him at PF much.  His rebounding is a bit low.  Seems like he was deployed as a 3 and D SF type. 

image.thumb.png.f27d43fb52c238647a45398c5cd0d1ad.png

Agreed that they aren't really to be compared. But re: Sekou’s stats in Euroleague, the numbers usually don't correlate that way especially when the kid is young - he already grabbed 10+ boards last nite. Also, the leagues are different where NBA tends to value the dynamics from player physique and athleticism. 

5 minutes ago, lipperskoal said:

I would probably blame this one on Casey as well. I know it seems to be the theme, but looking back to his Raptor coaching days, I swear he tries to teach his bigs to play more straight up positional defence and not take gambles defensively. Gambles or providing help defence can cause deflections, blocks and turnovers. I remember with JV, Ibaka and Amir, I would always wonder why they offered such fewer blocks then in previous seasons. This could be the case with Wood. 

If that's the case, then Wood's value will be pretty limited to points, REB and FG% IF he gets consistent playing time.

59 minutes ago, 4th and 9ers said:

If that's the case, then Wood's value will be pretty limited to points, REB and FG% IF he gets consistent playing time.

Yes i think Wood will be nothing close to the "stock machine" we envisioned with more minutes. Casey wants less or no gambles and this is the direction Wood has taken. Of course Drummond gets away with it but he is Drummond and nobody messes with his minutes. For Wood this has been one of the issues for his low minutes.

Sekou is 2 years away from being 2 years away.  Wood needs a trade to a tanking team that will just play him infinite minutes.  Stashing in roto in case he breaks out.  Sad that there's no stocks but maybe it comes back with more PT...