lbjames6

Christian Wood 2019-2020 Outlook

So maybe Atl gives up 2 of 4 players from Hunter, Cam, Huerter, Fernando, plus a 1st rounder / future picks?  Or perhaps a chance to swap Kennard or Brown out if they feel like Reddish or Hunter are better options moving forward?

No matter whom the Pistons get back, you know Casey is going to keep Wood's minutes in check. This is how bad coaches take credit for "developing" players. 

If Casey just plays Wood 30 minutes, then everybody would know how dumb he was for not playing him more all this time. By increasing his minutes gradually, Casey can tell everybody that he made Wood better, how Wood finally learned his coaching, and how hard work pays off.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

They do if its Cam/Hunter + Parsons, they don't if it's for Huerter/Parsons but that deal makes no sense.

If it's both Cam & Hunter then yeah, but if it's only one of them + Parsons, no.

Edit: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=uyeht7c (Hunter has the highest salary between the younger players)

Edited by YouSnoozeYouLose

Picked him up for T. Prince, which is quite a risky move. I think he can be worth it if Drummond gets moved though.

49 minutes ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

Certainly not a lock that Len would be included in any deal. Quite the contrary. The hawks have plenty of other salary filler to send back including Crabbe (18.5M), Turner (18.6 M), and the carcass of Chandler Parsons (25M). 

Wow I didn't realize the Hawks had taken so many absolutely terrible contracts lol

Interested to see if Wood being an unrestricted FA after the season affects his playing time in any way 

• Like 1

Unleashed Wood is almost upon us. Drummond getting dealt or Blake getting shut down is very close lets gooooooo!

13 minutes ago, fabrar said:

Wow I didn't realize the Hawks had taken so many absolutely terrible contracts lol

Ironically,  they have one of the best cap situations in the league. After this year, they have only 33,000,000 committed for next year with Crabbe, Parsons, Turner and Len all coming off the books. They should be a factor the next couple of summers. 

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/atlanta_hawks/

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

So if Drummond gets traded and/or Blake gets shutdown, and Wood actually gets starter minutes (28-32 per game) for the ros, what is the expectation? What is everyone truly think Wood is realistically capable of producing?

Itching toward stashing, but need an extra nudge (particularly because I am an Issac owner and still reeling from that).

Is this really a must stash situation?

Edited by Tekno Team 2000
Typo

3 minutes ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

So if Drummond gets traded and/or Blake gets shutdown, and Wood actually gets starter minutes (28-32 per game) for the ros, what is the expectation? What is everyone truly think Wood is realistically capable of producing?

Itching toward stashing, but need an extra nudge (particularly because I am an Issac owner and still reeling from that).

Pistons will have a lot of offense to make up if Drummond and Blake are out of the picture. Wood will be their best offensive big man. If he plays 28-32 minutes, I think he can approach his stats last year with the Pelicans:

17 pts, 8 rebounds, 0.75 steal, 1.0 blocks. 

Pelicans last year played at top 3 pace in the NBA, and Pistons this year is #21, so there won't be as many possessions but but the extra minutes should make up for it. The talent is there. The opportunity is emerging. The only thing stopping Wood is Dwane Casey. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

Random guess. 55% FG, 70% FT, 1 3PG, 18PPG, 9RPG, 1APG, 0.8SPG, 1.5BPG, 1.5TOV

Am I the only one who is not jumping on bandwagon?

He is an undrafted player who is on his 5th team in 5 seasons. Those teams include  2015/16 Sixers  (10-72 record) and 16/17 Charlotte (36-46 ),  and yet he couldn't get  more than 9 minutes per game.  If Wood is such a great basketball player one of  five teams should have seen that. Plus, don't forget who the coach is.

If Drummond and Griffin are out of picture I think biggest beneficiary would be Sekou Doumbouya.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

He is an undrafted player who is on his 5th team in 5 seasons. Those teams include  2015/16 Sixers  (10-72 record) and 16/17 Charlotte (36-46 ),  and yet he couldn't get  more than 9 minutes per game.  If Wood is such a great basketball player one of  five teams should have seen that. Plus, don't forget who the coach is.

If Drummond and Griffin are out of picture I think biggest beneficiary would be Sekou Doumbouya.

Agreed. I’m not seeing the hype (yet).

Willing to be proven wrong, but those per-minute stocks don’t look to be there either. 

He’s like Mo Wagner without the allure of stocks and triples. At this time, it feels like fool’s gold imho.

• Like 1

Agree with above.  He’s mainly a Points + Rebounds guy with limited 3’s and defensive stats.  He should have a good chance to produce but I wouldn’t drop anyone of decent value for him.

9 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Depends who you're dropping. Debatable that Sekou Doumbouya is a better pick up, because that kid has only played 8 games. I'd pick up Wood instead, because I've seen him produce at the end of last season.

This hype is so much... Wood is good but he’s not that good man. His recent games where he played mid 20 min are not impressive. The only great one of late was against Washington with 22-7-3-0-1 with 2 3’s and 7/9 shooting. 
Also keep in mind that once Wood is recognized as a primary weapon (if he ever becomes one), it would be so much hard for Wood to produce at a good level. 

In case of a trade, his numbers won’t translate per playing time as much as people expect here.

• Like 1

In all honesty hes only owned in about 10 percent of yahoo leagues. I think most people can take the wait and see approach.

Posted (edited)

The hype isn’t coming from this year, but with the end of last season where he got maximum run when the Pels were fully tanking.

Close to early round value for seven games on playoff weeks probably helped some people win the chip. With Drummond out of the team soon and Blake unlikely to play much ROS, can’t really go wrong with a stash. I’d be leaning towards Doumbouya given he’s the Pistons’ lottery pick though, tbh.

Edited by m1dday

5 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

In all honesty hes only owned in about 10 percent of yahoo leagues. I think most people can take the wait and see approach.

I think 10% is reflecting the own % before all the news about Drummond. It should update within 24 hours and I think that number is going to be a lot higher.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, gooseball said:

This hype is so much... Wood is good but he’s not that good man. His recent games where he played mid 20 min are not impressive. The only great one of late was against Washington with 22-7-3-0-1 with 2 3’s and 7/9 shooting. 
Also keep in mind that once Wood is recognized as a primary weapon (if he ever becomes one), it would be so much hard for Wood to produce at a good level. 

In case of a trade, his numbers won’t translate per playing time as much as people expect here.

Most people picking him up off the waiver as an end of bench, wait and see guy..if it works, awesome!!!. Cannot go wrong with that!! Not like we drafted him haha if he sucks, we drop

Edited by crocp
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, gooseball said:

You don't necessarily need to be great to put up stats., you just need to be good enough, play enough minutes, and get enough volume. Not every player is good enough or receives enough volume to produce even when given enough minutes. However, Wood has proven he's good enough - something that can't be said about most FA pickups. 

image.png.7cea8ac299fce2c07d2da6b77f0a83a4.png

His PER has held up this year in a larger sample size than last year's run with the Pelicans and he produces despite getting inconsistent minutes. Not saying he's an all-star, or even a starter level player for a playoff team, but he is definitely a player capable of putting up numbers. We are about to see if he can get the minutes, because volume will definitely be there in Detroit.

17 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

They can focus on him as well, I foresee Drummond getting shipped out. It's either that or Casey is getting canned. There's no way they can keep this charade going the rest of the year without making changes. This team looks bad, the talent is lacking, and they seem disinterested in winning - which has been plaguing the franchise for years.

What, do you think Dembouya is just going to step in to 30 min every night after not playing at all all season? Wood has been the most impressive young player on the roster, he's 24 with his first real chance to contribute to a team long term. They can develop them both, this isn't a case of one or the other.

tenor.gif?itemid=13903117