lbjames6

Christian Wood 2019-2020 Outlook

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Tell us more about Eric "millsap" paschall though 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve got wood ... 

mote like a semi wood. But still, it’s wood. 

what were you guys arguing about again?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, taenggg said:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Tell us more about Eric "millsap" paschall though 

you mean the rookie averaging 14 ppg who “has a lot offensive skills similar to millsap”?

keep up the strawman 

I haven't watched too many Detroit games, but from what I've seen, I'm not really impressed. He just doesn't pass the eye test as someone that deserves stashing this badly. I can understand if he was a lottery pick (like Troy Brown), who deserves to be developed no matter what, but this guy has been a journeyman, in the most literal sense of the word. Undrafted, 5 teams passed on him, and he barely made the cut here in Detroit. The final guy on the roster. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll still get 20 mins, should Drummond get traded, and Griffin shutdown, but that's more because they need bodies to fill in that void. I honestly think they're better off seeing what they have in lottery pick Dembouya at this point, and playing the heck out of him. He had a decent game last night, and why not see if he can build off that. I'm probably stashing Dembouya definitely over this guy. Wood can't even get decent minutes over the likes of Morris and Maker (when Griff was down, for a point this season), so whether that's bad coaching, or the coach sees something we don't, i honestly don't care. We should take the emotion out of it, and base everything on what we see in front of us, not what we would do if we were coaching. I honestly think that's why Casey gave Maker burn at the start of the season (just to see what he had in a lottery pick player). So we shouldn't blame him really if he played him more minutes than some undrafted journeyman who 5 NBA teams passed on, and barely made the cut in yours. 

Anyway common sense dictates, play the lottery pick already as we're winding down to tank mode when Drummond leaves. I honestly don't think even other NBA teams would covet Wood anyway, if they fail to develop him within his 2 yrs in Detroit. Those per 36 have always been there, and the NBA teams obviously deem him not worthy of a roster spot, otherwise he wouldn't even be in cluster-big Detroit and be a rotational guy in some bad team like Charlotte or something. I honestly think Detroit has finally showed openness regarding trading Drummond now, because of what they just saw in Dembouya. This reminds me of the Cavs suddenly trading Clarkson, because they saw Porter Jr.s breakout games. This situation reminds me of Marquese Chriss so much. The guy also has monster per 36, is very young, and you would think NBA teams would spend time to actually develop him as he's a high lottery pick. But no, he became a journeyman, and even with a bunch of injuries in Golden State, his minutes are still in check. Are we going to blame Kerr like we blame Casey? My point is, these teams see something we obviously don't. Anyway, I'm not a fan of Casey either, but it is what it is. I guess Wood will forever be resigned as and end of bench guy in the NBA. He's not getting any younger, and after the next year (say he still doesn't get unleashed by Casey), sure he may wind up on another team, but I don't really see them suddenly starting him or playing him meaningful (over 20+) minutes. We can play coach all we want, but these NBA teams obviously saw something we don't. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Lockdown said:

I haven't watched too many Detroit games, but from what I've seen, I'm not really impressed. He just doesn't pass the eye test as someone that deserves stashing this badly. I can understand if he was a lottery pick (like Troy Brown), who deserves to be developed no matter what, but this guy has been a journeyman, in the most literal sense of the word. Undrafted, 5 teams passed on him, and he barely made the cut here in Detroit. The final guy on the roster. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll still get 20 mins, should Drummond get traded, and Griffin shutdown, but that's more because they need bodies to fill in that void. I honestly think they're better off seeing what they have in lottery pick Dembouya at this point, and playing the heck out of him. He had a decent game last night, and why not see if he can build off that. I'm probably stashing Dembouya definitely over this guy. Wood can't even get decent minutes over the likes of Morris and Maker (when Griff was down, for a point this season), so whether that's bad coaching, or the coach sees something we don't, i honestly don't care. We should take the emotion out of it, and base everything on what we see in front of us, not what we would do if we were coaching. I honestly think that's why Casey gave Maker burn at the start of the season (just to see what he had in a lottery pick player). So we shouldn't blame him really if he played him more minutes than some undrafted journeyman who 5 NBA teams passed on, and barely made the cut in yours. 

Anyway common sense dictates, play the lottery pick already as we're winding down to tank mode when Drummond leaves. I honestly don't think even other NBA teams would covet Wood anyway, if they fail to develop him within his 2 yrs in Detroit. Those per 36 have always been there, and the NBA teams obviously deem him not worthy of a roster spot, otherwise he wouldn't even be in cluster-big Detroit and be a rotational guy in some bad team like Charlotte or something. I honestly think Detroit has finally showed openness regarding trading Drummond now, because of what they just saw in Dembouya. This reminds me of the Cavs suddenly trading Clarkson, because they saw Porter Jr.s breakout games. This situation reminds me of Marquese Chriss so much. The guy also has monster per 36, is very young, and you would think NBA teams would spend time to actually develop him as he's a high lottery pick. But no, he became a journeyman, and even with a bunch of injuries in Golden State, his minutes are still in check. Are we going to blame Kerr like we blame Casey? My point is, these teams see something we obviously don't. Anyway, I'm not a fan of Casey either, but it is what it is. I guess Wood will forever be resigned as and end of bench guy in the NBA. He's not getting any younger, and after the next year (say he still doesn't get unleashed by Casey), sure he may wind up on another team, but I don't really see them suddenly starting him or playing him meaningful (over 20+) minutes. We can play coach all we want, but these NBA teams obviously saw something we don't. 

He has the best per 36 on the team, the best on/off rating, and he’s doing this despite playing off the bench and getting limited touches because Rose tries to score everything and forgets about playmaking.

if he moves into the starting 5 he’ll be better served playing alongside more of a playmaker in Bruce Brown. 

also, his block numbers will be better as a center when guys get funnelled into him. In today’s NBA power forwards cover smaller players on the perimeter on switches, they have fewer blocking opportunities because they don’t defend as many post ups where they then switch to someone who’s driving in, by sitting on the perimeter more often you’re away from the rim where most blocks happen.

Getting back to center will bring back a higher block rate.

opportunity, minutes, and touches are all he needs.

hes doing this in spite of casey, not because of casey, there’ll be an abundance of front court touches/shots available with Drummond’s 24.8% usage departing. 

4 minutes ago, BustHerPosey said:

Not impressed. He has had 20+ minutes the last 4 games and hasn’t done anything with them.

he’s playing off the bench getting anywhere from 5 to 9 shots and still putting up stats. If that’s his floor, what’s his ceiling?

This idea of “he’s been on 5 teams they know something we don’t” is a weak argument.

multiple teams also passed up on Steph curry and klay thompson and kawhi, they must know something we don’t.

richaun holmes has been on 3 teams, Whiteside has been on 3 teams.

Fantasy doesn’t discriminate, stats are stats and outlooks change depending on situations.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

This idea of “he’s been on 5 teams they know something we don’t” is a weak argument.

multiple teams also passed up on Steph curry and klay thompson and kawhi, they must know something we don’t.

richaun holmes has been on 3 teams, Whiteside has been on 3 teams.

Fantasy doesn’t discriminate, stats are stats and outlooks change depending on situations.

Dude, are you daft? How do you compare Curry, Thompson, Kawhi to this kid. Those guys you've just mentioned were lottery picks. Notice I always mention the word undrafted for this journeyman. Are these guys undrafted? Are these guys journeymen? Curry and Thompson were kept by GSW because they're damn good. Pop loved Kawhi so much but Kawhi just wanted out and won a chip in TOR and finally got to choose where he wanted to be in hometown LAC. Does Wood have all these luxuries? IS Wood on the same career trajectory? Wasn't Wood just waived and not signed by 5 teams because he probably isn't worth keeping, even as the 12th man cheerleader? LOL this argument being called weak makes me laugh so much. What's weak is you comparing this guy's situation to those future hall of famers lol. My god I haven't seen someone preach so much about undrafted people as much as you do. Go check out the Nunn thread. This guy misleads people so much and overrates undrafted players too much, and always makes this lengthy speech as if to sound like he's coach of the year, what should be done blah blah. I don't know, he must really like these undrafted guys. He likes those underdog stories and prays they somehow get the touches they deserve because of all the stats research he does, but ignores what's going on in reality. He also recommended Chriss as a pickup here early in the season, which probably shows his inexperience in fantasy because we all know how volatile owning guys like Chriss are. Yes, stats are stats, but your stats are what i like to call "wishful stats". Sure if he gets unleashed then it may happen, but stop trying to preach here as if we're stashing Steph Curry over here (#1 option on the team, and will surely be given minutes). This guy has been tossed around for a reason dude. Are you better than those 5 teams, who for sure viewed your per36, blah blah. You tend to overrate people much more than what they're actually worth. One watch at a DET game and you'll see he isn't really anything special, and probably deserves 20 mins, but not more than that. Man I really didn't want to respond in this manner but the last straw is calling what I've said a weak argument lol. As if yours is so damn strong. You're defending an undrafted journeyman, who 5 teams passed on and is the last roster spot in Detroit (almost didn't make the cut, squeaked by over Joe Johnson lol). Wow. And you're preaching as if it's prime Shaq we're stashing lol. Dude couldn't even do anything significant in his past 3 games with 20+ minutes, coach plays other people over him, and you're acting as if he's the Savior of fantasy. Friendly tip: stop analyzing stats, watch some games now and then. Maybe you'll realize why those per36 mean crap, because he just doesn't pass the eye test, like a John Collins for example (early in his Hawks career, with fluctuating mins), who deserve to be stashed. Plus, not just his coach, but NBA teams see something not worth keeping in him (unlike Curry, Thompson, Kawhi who I still find it hilarious you mention). I'm not dissing Wood at all, he probably deserves those 20 mins. But for you to play coach and think you know better than Casey and all those other coaches he had, that they're wrong, oh boy, you really think too high of yourself. Man, I still can't believe we're talking about this journeyman as if we're talking about an all-star stash LOL. Wow, man, just WOW. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

Dude, are you daft? How do you compare Curry, Thompson, Kawhi to this kid. Those guys you've just mentioned were lottery picks. Notice I always mention the word undrafted for this journeyman. Are these guys undrafted? Are these guys journeymen? Curry and Thompson were kept by GSW because they're damn good. Pop loved Kawhi so much but Kawhi just wanted out and won a chip in TOR and finally got to choose where he wanted to be in hometown LAC. Does Wood have all these luxuries? IS Wood on the same career trajectory? Wasn't Wood just waived and not signed by 5 teams because he probably isn't worth keeping, even as the 12th man cheerleader? LOL this argument being called weak makes me laugh so much. What's weak is you comparing this guy's situation to those future hall of famers lol. My god I haven't seen someone preach so much about undrafted people as much as you do. Go check out the Nunn thread. This guy misleads people so much and overrates undrafted players too much, and always makes this lengthy speech as if to sound like he's coach of the year, what should be done blah blah. I don't know, he must really like these undrafted guys. He likes those underdog stories and prays they somehow get the touches they deserve because of all the stats research he does, but ignores what's going on in reality. He also recommended Chriss as a pickup here early in the season, which probably shows his inexperience in fantasy because we all know how volatile owning guys like Chriss are. Yes, stats are stats, but your stats are what i like to call "wishful stats". Sure if he gets unleashed then it may happen, but stop trying to preach here as if we're stashing Steph Curry over here (#1 option on the team, and will surely be given minutes). This guy has been tossed around for a reason dude. Are you better than those 5 teams, who for sure viewed your per36, blah blah. You tend to overrate people much more than what they're actually worth. One watch at a DET game and you'll see he isn't really anything special, and probably deserves 20 mins, but not more than that. Man I really didn't want to respond in this manner but the last straw is calling what I've said a weak argument lol. As if yours is so damn strong. You're defending an undrafted journeyman, who 5 teams passed on and is the last roster spot in Detroit (almost didn't make the cut, squeaked by over Joe Johnson lol). Wow. And you're preaching as if it's prime Shaq we're stashing lol. Dude couldn't even do anything significant in his past 3 games with 20+ minutes, coach plays other people over him, and you're acting as if he's the Savior of fantasy. Friendly tip: stop analyzing stats, watch some games now and then. Maybe you'll realize why those per36 mean crap, because he just doesn't pass the eye test, like a John Collins for example (early in his Hawks career, with fluctuating mins), who deserve to be stashed. Plus, not just his coach, but NBA teams see something not worth keeping in him (unlike Curry, Thompson, Kawhi who I still find it hilarious you mention). I'm not dissing Wood at all, he probably deserves those 20 mins. But for you to play coach and think you know better than Casey and all those other coaches he had, that they're wrong, oh boy, you really think too high of yourself. Man, I still can't believe we're talking about this journeyman as if we're talking about an all-star stash LOL. Wow, man, just WOW. 

you’re quite thick, the comparison isn’t between the players, it’s in the incompetence of teams upper management. Learn to comprehend.

let me make it simple for you:

multiple management teams passed up amazing players because they have s---y scouting 

multiple (two of which are plain bad) teams moved on from wood ≠ wood sucks 

wood ≠ curry, Thompson, kawhi 

teams miss out on talent, like they did with whiteside and Richaun, other teams capitalize. 

when you have the best on off rating on the team it indicates you’re one of the team’s most impactful player, he’s also 24. He’s not going to be the same as when he was 20.

Again, you’re not addressing any of the core points, it’s just ad hominem and exaggerated capitalization.

Edited by Lifschitz

Posted (edited)

Watch games = anecdotal, how do you know I don’t? I preach watching games coupled with statistics 

“he told people pick up chriss” = and? I said pick him up and see if the minutes stick because every time he gets above 20 plus this year he’s putting up great lines = still true 

He hyped Nunn = for good reason, he was a top 50 to 80 play for nearly 2 months, he was even amazing a week and a half ago before dragic came back, he’s a drop candidate when dragic is healthy.

I’ve also done the following:

told people to pick up Barton 

told people to pick up McRae

told people to drop Derrick white two weeks into the season while many were hanging on for dear life 

told people not to sell jokic in November, nor jrue holiday 

told people not to drop PJ Washington 

told people to pick up Melton

told people not to drop or trade Jaren Jackson in early November

told people to stream divincenzo 

told people thybulle isn’t going to do **** before the season started

told people poeltl is not a long term pick up

told people Theis is not a long term pick up 

told people looney sucks 

told people Simons is not going to amount to much this season but has me intrigued 

told people not to draft Mitch Robinson 

told people not to draft Aaron Gordon 

told people TJ Warren, lamb, and oubre are fantastic values based on their draft position.

I’ve also made bad calls:

I told people not to draft luka 2nd round because of the potential variance, I said he’s just as likely to be a top 10 guy as he is top 50 due to percentages.

I don’t have an issue being wrong, I’m here to help people and provide insight. The difference is I’m willing to support predictions and opinions with observation and stats and scouting reports and highlights and go out on a limb because it also helps myself make informed decisions as well as others (hopefully).

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 3

Wtf is happening here? 🤣 Btw is this guy known for stocks? I dont really see it besides one outlier game last season where he had 6 blocks.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

Wtf is happening here? 🤣 Btw is this guy known for stocks? I dont really see it besides one outlier game last season where he had 6 blocks.

He has the length and ability but recently he's using the "verticality" defense that Casey loves. When Casey was our coach in Toronto he always lauded Hibbert for his ability to play vertical defense, it's something he ingrained into Jonas as a young player. Wood was getting scolded early on (and he had a higher steals/block rate at that time), and if you watch games recently he's far more reluctant to gamble and tends to just keep his hands straight to contest instead of going for blocks. 

.7 in 16 minutes is still good per-minute blocking - he's had a dip recently though. That being said, the recent stretch of games where he didn't get blocks came against Utah, Clips, Philadelphia, and San Antonio, teams that tend to be more disciplined when attacking and don't yield as many block opportunities. The sample size in NO was small, but in a 23 min average he was basically averaging 1 / 1 and 1.3, but Gentry's system can be a fantasy gold mine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Pick him up.. he does well, keep him.. if he doesn't, drop him.. it's not rocket appliances

Edited by kendanc
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

He has the length and ability but recently he's using the "verticality" defense that Casey loves. When Casey was our coach in Toronto he always lauded Hibbert for his ability to play vertical defense, it's something he ingrained into Jonas as a young player. Wood was getting scolded early on (and he had a higher steals/block rate at that time), and if you watch games recently he's far more reluctant to gamble and tends to just keep his hands straight to contest instead of going for blocks. 

.7 in 16 minutes is still good per-minute blocking - he's had a dip recently though. That being said, the recent stretch of games where he didn't get blocks came against Utah, Clips, Philadelphia, and San Antonio, teams that tend to be more disciplined when attacking and don't yield as many block opportunities. The sample size in NO was small, but in a 23 min average he was basically averaging 1 / 1 and 1.3, but Gentry's system can be a fantasy gold mine.

Man you my favorite analytic on this forum.Thx for job

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lockdown said:

Richaun Holmes was a "Journeyman" too.. and you can see all he needed was a bit of opportunity and a vote of confidence from the coaching staff to play like the best godamn player on that team. I think there are serious talents out there that teams are oblivious to, however, to the point I agree with you on.. I don't think Christian Wood is that guy and I dont own stock in him lol. I am stashing Dombooya or however the fck you spell it 

@Lockdown @Lifschitz

You both make good points , personally I don’t think Wood is all that special. But if given the minutes & opportunity, he might thrive who knows. The Curry/Klay comparisons just threw this conversation off kilter. 

Gonna try to package him in a deal to see if I can capitalize on all the hype Rotoworld is gonna put out lol

14 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

@Lockdown @Lifschitz

You both make good points , personally I don’t think Wood is all that special. But if given the minutes & opportunity, he might thrive who knows. The Curry/Klay comparisons just threw this conversation off kilter. 

I don’t think he’s special, that’s hyperbole. I look at him like Holmes or Wagner earlier in the season. Per minute stud that you stash and see what happens if he finally gets a starting gig with major minutes, and it’s trending that way for Wood. The same arguments they’re making for wood are tit for tat what could’ve been said for Richaun. Visually speaking he’s not impressive, all he does is floaters and put backs and dunks, but he’s highly effective and an amazing positional roller. It’s not like Holmes looks like Embiid out there. Wood has the stat set and ability of a top 50 player, now we need to see what he can do with a starting gig. 

18 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

I don’t think he’s special, that’s hyperbole. I look at him like Holmes or Wagner earlier in the season. Per minute stud that you stash and see what happens if he finally gets a starting gig with major minutes, and it’s trending that way for Wood. The same arguments they’re making for wood are tit for tat what could’ve been said for Richaun. Visually speaking he’s not impressive, all he does is floaters and put backs and dunks, but he’s highly effective and an amazing positional roller. It’s not like Holmes looks like Embiid out there. Wood has the stat set and ability of a top 50 player, now we need to see what he can do with a starting gig. 

He's also shooting 39% from 3 which is really good for a big, just not taking many of them.

The most interesting thing about him is...he does not foul.

Per 36’s of 21 and 11, 6.6 trips to the line, 1.6 blocks, and .611 from the field is pretty special when you pair it with a per 36 foul rate of 2.2. It’s pretty amazing actually.

This thread escalated quick lol. Wood is worth the stash. Pistons have nothing to play for, are about to blow it up and he’s in a contract year. He’s been solid in limited minutes and while Casey is incompetent he will have no choice but to unleash him 

Posted (edited)

This man really wrote a 500 word soliloquy patting himself on the back for all the correct advice he's provided us mere mortals. We are not worthy 🤣

Edited by taenggg
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, taenggg said:

This man really wrote a 500 word soliloquy patting himself on the back for all the correct advice he's provided us mere mortals. We are not worthy 🤣

not really, he called me out for specific players I talked about, I defended it. Point is I’m going to be right and I’m going to be wrong, but I’m contributing, can’t really say that much for yourself.

You can’t debate or put up counter arguments so you have to slander, which is the lowest form of argument.

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lockdown said:

6 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

He has the best per 36 on the team, the best on/off rating, and he’s doing this despite playing off the bench and getting limited touches because Rose tries to score everything and forgets about playmaking.

if he moves into the starting 5 he’ll be better served playing alongside more of a playmaker in Bruce Brown. 

also, his block numbers will be better as a center when guys get funnelled into him. In today’s NBA power forwards cover smaller players on the perimeter on switches, they have fewer blocking opportunities because they don’t defend as many post ups where they then switch to someone who’s driving in, by sitting on the perimeter more often you’re away from the rim where most blocks happen.

Getting back to center will bring back a higher block rate.

opportunity, minutes, and touches are all he needs.

hes doing this in spite of casey, not because of casey, there’ll be an abundance of front court touches/shots available with Drummond’s 24.8% usage departing. 

5 hours ago, Lockdown said:

5 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

you’re quite thick, the comparison isn’t between the players, it’s in the incompetence of teams upper management. Learn to comprehend.

let me make it simple for you:

multiple management teams passed up amazing players because they have s---y scouting 

multiple (two of which are plain bad) teams moved on from wood ≠ wood sucks 

wood ≠ curry, Thompson, kawhi 

teams miss out on talent, like they did with whiteside and Richaun, other teams capitalize. 

when you have the best on off rating on the team it indicates you’re one of the team’s most impactful player, he’s also 24. He’s not going to be the same as when he was 20.

Again, you’re not addressing any of the core points, it’s just ad hominem and exaggerated capitalization.

4 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

Watch games = anecdotal, how do you know I don’t? I preach watching games coupled with statistics 

“he told people pick up chriss” = and? I said pick him up and see if the minutes stick because every time he gets above 20 plus this year he’s putting up great lines = still true 

He hyped Nunn = for good reason, he was a top 50 to 80 play for nearly 2 months, he was even amazing a week and a half ago before dragic came back, he’s a drop candidate when dragic is healthy.

I’ve also done the following:

told people to pick up Barton 

told people to pick up McRae

told people to drop Derrick white two weeks into the season while many were hanging on for dear life 

told people not to sell jokic in November, nor jrue holiday 

told people not to drop PJ Washington 

told people to pick up Melton

told people not to drop or trade Jaren Jackson in early November

told people to stream divincenzo 

told people thybulle isn’t going to do **** before the season started

told people poeltl is not a long term pick up

told people Theis is not a long term pick up 

told people looney sucks 

told people Simons is not going to amount to much this season but has me intrigued 

told people not to draft Mitch Robinson 

told people not to draft Aaron Gordon 

told people TJ Warren, lamb, and oubre are fantastic values based on their draft position.

I’ve also made bad calls:

I told people not to draft luka 2nd round because of the potential variance, I said he’s just as likely to be a top 10 guy as he is top 50 due to percentages.

I don’t have an issue being wrong, I’m here to help people and provide insight. The difference is I’m willing to support predictions and opinions with observation and stats and scouting reports and highlights and go out on a limb because it also helps myself make informed decisions as well as others (hopefully).

4 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

Can someone cliff notes these??? Talking about tl:dr. Holy crap.