lbjames6

Christian Wood 2019-2020 Outlook

First player mentioned in Rotoworld’s Waiver Wired article...

Pickup of the Week:

Christian Wood (6%)- As of Sunday morning, there’s no additional news on Griffin which leaves us in the dark. However, there’s no chance I’m leaving Wood on the wire just in case we get bad news, as Wood is one of the few players on the waiver wire who has league-winning upside. A Griffin absence would surely make the Pistons rethink their plans to compete for a playoff spot while also increasing the likelihood of an Andre Drummond trade. 
But even in the short term, Wood is potentially a big winner because he could have a bunch of power forward minutes coming his way in addition to his minutes as the backup five. The Pistons are clearly comfortable using Wood at the four, as 68% of his minutes have come at that spot according to Basketball Reference.

He double-doubled in just 22 minutes on Saturday which isn’t a surprise, as the guy just oozes stats every time he takes the floor. On a per-36 minute scale, he’s averaging 21.4 points, 11.7 rebounds, 1.3 dimes, 2.0 blocks, 0.7 steals and 1.5 triples on 62.8% from the field and 66.1% from the line. And even if Griffin dodges a bullet and plays this week, Wood would still be the best stash in fantasy basketball and will have some low-end value in a 4-game week which means it’s worth using up a waiver claim right now. 

• Thanks 1

feel like there are 2 things in his way, BG and also starting. not sure if either will happen with BG and Kieff. But the per 36 are tantalizing. 

I hope he finds his way to 30 minutes, but he's rosterable if he's just getting 20. I'm just giving him an extra long leash until the trade deadline. If he's getting close to 20 minutes I can afford it

Edited by indigorivers

Picked him up for Poeltl. As a Blake owner, I’m not going to leave him on the wire considering how dubious his leg situation is right now lol

If Blake somehow ends up being diagnosed for something that’ll make him out for the season I’ll be quick to scoop up Morris as well 😂

Edited by m1dday

In every game that he’s played 20+ minutes, he’s scored—8,15,19,11,28,15. Also keep in mind his season high for minutes is 26:21 and the 2nd highest is 22:01.

His stat line for these 6 games —16.2/7.5/1.2 blocks. If he can get a consistent 20-25 minutes a night.. monster. 

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but Wood is a lottery ticket at this point. Even with Griffin and Drummond on the bench last game, Wood played less than Maker and Morris. Detroit is trying to win basketball games and Casey trusts his dependable guys to win. Casey is a stubborn coach when it comes to trusting players. He trusts Griffin, Drummond and Morris. We have all seen how he trusts Wood. Some nights he plays 25 minutes and other games he plays 10 minutes. This is not something new from Casey. He jerked around several guys in Toronto that had good fantasy potential (Norm Powell, James Johnson, Jonas Valanciunas etc..). I would monitor the situation closely, but it would take a lot for Casey to change his tune on how he feels about playing Wood. 

Don't hold your breath. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, lipperskoal said:

I could be wrong, but Wood is a lottery ticket at this point. Even with Griffin and Drummond on the bench last game, Wood played less than Maker and Morris. Detroit is trying to win basketball games and Casey trusts his dependable guys to win. Casey is a stubborn coach when it comes to trusting players. He trusts Griffin, Drummond and Morris. We have all seen how he trusts Wood. Some nights he plays 25 minutes and other games he plays 10 minutes. This is not something new from Casey. He jerked around several guys in Toronto that had good fantasy potential (Norm Powell, James Johnson, Jonas Valanciunas etc..). I would monitor the situation closely, but it would take a lot for Casey to change his tune on how he feels about playing Wood. 

Don't hold your breath. 

Again, you’re looking at it in a vacuum. While everything you said is more or less true, Wood’s minutes are clealry trending up, Blake’s health is trending down, and Maker and Morris’s respective play is trending neutral.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bringthesonicsback said:

In every game that he’s played 20+ minutes, he’s scored—8,15,19,11,28,15. Also keep in mind his season high for minutes is 26:21 and the 2nd highest is 22:01.

His stat line for these 6 games —16.2/7.5/1.2 blocks. If he can get a consistent 20-25 minutes a night.. monster. 

Thanks for digging up the stats, I noticed that correlation myself. The next step is for casey to give him 20 plus a night, and I think we’re very very close to that.

their team is inconsistent and a bottom feeder in the East with teams such as Charlotte playing above expectations (not to mention they beat Detroit recently).

Griffin might need surgery, Kieff is a 30 year old injured backup (shell of his former self), thon maker blows, and Drummond is a trade candidate. 

He’s the best stash there is, he has top 50 post January upside as far as I’m concerned, because this team is going no where and they need to develop young future talent badly.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lipperskoal said:

Don't hold your breath. 

I respect your write up, but heavily disagree with it based on the situation being super fluid. I think this is heading south real fast, and northward trajectory for wood for the reasons I outlined above. 

He went from dnp cd, to 10 min, to 15 to 17, and now we’re getting 20 plus more consistently, with his front coury teammates all regressing.

griffin is a shutdown candidate.

Edited by Lifschitz

No way griffin plays today.. especially with an injury to the same knee.. Scooped him up today. I don't believe drummond misses another game, but if he does wood and morris should be unleashed tonight.

On board, dropped Huerter. Let's see if he can push stubborn old-school casey to semi unleash him. 

took a flier today and dropped GRANT.... I'm not expecting BG to play, so hopefully him and drummond [who i expct to make it back today] will get to take advantage of Washingtons deleted big situation.

Casey much like his time on the Raptors just flat out refuses to play certain guys. Probably the same case here. 

Edited by taenggg

27 minutes ago, taenggg said:

Casey much like his time on the Raptors just flat out refuses to play certain guys. Probably the same case here. 

The difference is Casey vouched for Wood to be on the roster, can't say the same for Jval 😎

Edited by DezedandConfused

Anticipating a big game tn. Blake is out, Drummond is compromised, Washington doesnt have a single serviceable centre and routinely allows 115+ ppg. 

11 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

I respect your write up, but heavily disagree with it based on the situation being super fluid. I think this is heading south real fast, and northward trajectory for wood for the reasons I outlined above. 

He went from dnp cd, to 10 min, to 15 to 17, and now we’re getting 20 plus more consistently, with his front coury teammates all regressing.

griffin is a shutdown candidate.

But he's not getting 20 plus more consistently, he's only surpassed 20 minutes once in the past 5 games and that was because Drummond was out.

I love the per minute upside too but can't trust Casey and him being unleashed really depends on Drummond getting injured (and he never does). I'm in a weekly lineup points league where he would be the perfect stash and he's still on waivers. I think the breaks really need to be pumped here.

Griffin and Drummond out, it's now or never and I'm talking about his minutes not the production which even in 20 can be ok. If he cannot play at least 25 tonight then for me he is out, it cannot get better.

• Like 1