Sign in to follow this  
The Big Bat Theory

Boston Red Sox 2020 Outlook

Today would have been the Sox home opener against the White Sox 2:05 start 

Soon enough we will begin our Championship run this year! 

Stay safe!

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2020 at 11:19 AM, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

I guess the Sox punishment just isn't happening 

Not right to punish when no crime was committed...

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2020 at 11:19 AM, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

I guess the Sox punishment just isn't happening 

I think they said they wouldn't announce punishment until baseball activities start back up.  Which is really dumb.

2 hours ago, MrBrown said:

I think they said they wouldn't announce punishment until baseball activities start back up.  Which is really dumb.

In some ways, i think its good to wait..

Although it isnt something we could have predicted, the Astros are getting off completely free, Hinch and their former GM may not even have to miss a single game if theres no baseball this year, which is messed up, what punishment did they really serve? its on par with the whole of MLB. Crazy..

Wait untill there is baseball and force them to serve potential suspensions.

4 minutes ago, jonninho said:

In some ways, i think its good to wait..

Although it isnt something we could have predicted, the Astros are getting off completely free, Hinch and their former GM may not even have to miss a single game if theres no baseball this year, which is messed up, what punishment did they really serve? its on par with the whole of MLB. Crazy..

Wait untill there is baseball and force them to serve potential suspensions.

Well that's more to do with MLB doing a god awful job at "disciplining" the Astros.

38 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Well that's more to do with MLB doing a god awful job at "disciplining" the Astros.

I dont disagree, i mean, the punishment itself was not sufficient in my opinion, but for them to come out and say that their punishment will be served even if no games is played is unacceptable. Essentially, all of MLB is serving a suspension on par with the Astros if that is the case and MLB have now grouped the two together. Disapointing.

• Like 1

It will be interwsting to see who cheats going foreward. The punishment seems to be easily worth winning a title, so why not?

And niw that disciplinary precetend has been, seems pretty safe.

The league FINALLY released their findings.

The Red Sox have been stripped of their second-round pick in the 2020 draft and had their replay operator banned for a year as punishment for illegal use of the replay room during the 2018 regular season.

Apparently, the league didn't find any evidence of cheating during the 2018 postseason or the 2019 season. All of the blame here is being taken by J.T. Watkins, who ran the replay room for Boston. He reportedly used video during games to help with decoding signs and relayed that to players. MLB also decided to suspend former Red Sox manager Alex Cora for the duration of 2020, but the league made it clear that the punishment was only for his role in the Astros' cheating scandal and that he and the rest of Red Sox management are in the clear. No players were punished, either. Nevertheless, the league did strip the Red Sox of a draft pick. If this is all MLB could come up with, then the Red Sox probably weren't doing anything beyond what most teams were doing. Still, it's not the league could let the team off the hook entirely.

Source: The Athletic                        Apr 22, 2020, 3:01 PM ET

Posted (edited)

So...cheat em if you got em?

Edited by BMcP

16 minutes ago, BMcP said:

So...cheat em if you got em?

Eh... clearly I'm biased, but this sounds like a big ole nothingburger if you actually read even just a little bit about what went on:

Manfred found Boston's conduct far less egregious than that of the Astros, noting,"Unlike the Houston Astros' 2017 conduct, in which players communicated to the batter from the dugout area in real time the precise type of pitch about to be thrown, Watkins' conduct, by its very nature, was far more limited in scope and impact.

"The information was only relevant when the Red Sox had a runner on second base (which was 19.7% of plate appearances league-wide in 2018), and Watkins communicated sign sequences in a manner that indicated that he had decoded them from the in-game feed in only a small percentage of those occurrences."

Manfred wrote that that he did not find that Cora, his coaching staff, the front office or most of the players on the team "knew or should have known that Watkins was utilizing in-game video to update the information that he had learned from his pregame analysis.

ESPN article on the punishment

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

Eh... clearly I'm biased, but this sounds like a big ole nothingburger if you actually read even just a little bit about what went on:

ESPN article on the punishment

Clearly I’m biased, but...wow, it took you guys a year just to decide to strip a second-rounder?  Amazing ineptitude

Just now, BMcP said:

Clearly I’m biased, but...wow, it took you guys a year just to decide to strip a second-rounder?  Amazing ineptitude

Oh for sure, but that's MLB for you.  The investigation started in November, so the 2nd rounder would've been from the 2020 draft either way.  Not sure what difference the timing really makes outside of that.  

32 minutes ago, OaksterDan said:

Oh for sure, but that's MLB for you.  The investigation started in November, so the 2nd rounder would've been from the 2020 draft either way.  Not sure what difference the timing really makes outside of that.  

Manfred found that no one on the Sox “should have known” that they cheated.

Indescribably lame.

On 4/22/2020 at 5:35 PM, BMcP said:

Manfred found that no one on the Sox “should have known” that they cheated.

Indescribably lame.

Punishment is fair. The 2018 World Series wasn’t a fluke. Time to move on to more important things like you know that pandemic than whining about an irrelevant issue.

11 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Punishment is fair. The 2018 World Series wasn’t a fluke. Time to move on to more important things like you know that pandemic than whining about an irrelevant issue.

It’s not that I’m whining - it just doesn’t make logical sense that literally no one in the organization “was aware” of cheating other than one replay operator - not the manager, no assistant coaches, no players, no employees, etc.

I really need that one explained to me further.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Chaim Bloom utterly failed the draft with that pick. Things totally looking up. 

Translation please.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Translation please.

Was watching the prospects live stream yesterday with a few of their analysts. The guy who runs Prospects Live is a Red Sox fan (Ralph), he really wanted Abel, and then when Abel got sniped he was like 100% sure they getting Armstrong and OK with it.  Then when the pick was a guy that was basically in nobody's top 50. (#165 on fangraphs).  Ralph was pretty shook for quite a while after and everyone was giving him ****.

Seemed nutty to me. If they found a diamond in the rough, more power to them, seems like a decent shot he'd have been there in another round. That doesn't seem good to me.

Keith Law, The Athletic

So the Red Sox … did something. Nick Yorke wasn’t on my top 100 prospects for the draft, and he wasn’t close to it. He wasn’t on MLB Pipeline’s either, if you want a second opinion. Yorke is a high school second baseman, and the only reason I didn’t write in “The Inside Game” that spending high picks on high school second basemen is a bad idea is that nobody spends high picks on high school second basemen because it’s a bad idea. Yorke has a good swing, geared more for average than power, and he doesn’t have the range or arm for shortstop.

Jim Callis, MLB.com

This might be the most surprising first-round pick since the Cubs took Hayden Simpson 16th overall 10 years ago. It’s even more of a shock considering that the Red Sox don’t have a second-rounder after losing it as punishment for illegal sign-stealing. Yorke has a sweet right-handed swing and is one of the best pure prep hitters on the West Coast, but MLB Pipeline ranked him No. 139 on its Top 200 Draft Prospects list. He has had shoulder surgery in the past, so he may wind up at second base.

(really funny watch)

Edited by brockpapersizer

Really?  What I am reading is stuff like this:

17. Boston Red Sox: Nick Yorke, 2B, Archbishop Mitty HS (California)

Who is Yorke? The biggest surprise so far. Kiley McDaniel had Yorke down at No. 69, which was higher than most other rankings, but some evaluators liked him as one of the best prep bats on the West Coast and he has a long track record of success in high school. He had a commitment to Arizona, so he was viewed as an unlikely sign unless he went in the first round.

Why the Red Sox took him here: The Red Sox don't have a second-round pick due to their sign-stealing shenanigans, so this looks like an underslot selection so the Red Sox can pour more money into some later picks and perhaps get a steal in the third or fourth round. The Red Sox announced Yorke as a second baseman, which hints to his lack of range at shortstop and why he wasn't higher on the pre-draft rankings. Red Sox fans probably have some consternation about this pick, but one scout texted ESPN's Jeff Passan that Yorke was the best prep hitter on the West Coast. In today's game, teams covet an offense-minded second baseman and Yorke might fit that bill in the future. -- Schoenfield

Source: ESPN

And this:

The Red Sox were on the clock for the 17th overall pick this year, and most of the talk for the last couple of weeks has been that they would be looking for upside with this first selection. Over the last 24 to 48 hours, though, some talk had been creeping in about them potentially taking a high schooler further down the ranking for an underslot deal to have more money to spend later. That is indeed the path they are taking. With their first selection in this draft, the Red Sox selected Nick Yorke, a second baseman out of Archbishop Mitty High School in California.

When I say the Red Sox went down the rankings for this pick I am not exagerrating. Yorke was ranked 96th on Baseball America’s list, 165th on FanGraphs’s and number 139 on MLB Pipeline’s. This is going to lead to a lot of strife, and it’s not entirely unfair. There was some big-time talent available here and the Red Sox passed on it. That being said, this is the reason you can’t judge a draft class based on just one pick. Yorke was thought to be a tough sign as a commit to Arizona, but he should still be an underslot signee at number 17 overall. That allows the Red Sox to take more chances with their later picks in this draft.     (Source: overthemonster)

Looks like a pretty smart move to me.  Chaim making lemonade out of the Dombrowski Era lemons he inherited. Chaim plays chess; not checkers.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Really?  What I am reading is stuff like this:

Looks like a pretty smart move to me.  Chaim making lemonade out of the Dombrowski Era lemons he inherited. Chaim plays chess; not checkers.

Saving money to spend big on a 3rd rounder. Genius.  The bust rate in the 3rd round is astronomical. You read what you feel comfortable reading. If you could take your bias out of the Red Sox for just once, you'd realize. Using the "why they took him there" segment of an article which is positive for every player basically shows that. You can find info making any pick look good, but consensus was it was shocking and puzzling.

Dombrowski won a ring. 

As I posted earlier, literally one of the top prospect guys on the internet who is a Red Sox fan hated the pick (as well as the industry as a whole)

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2