MysticPeak

Rudy Gobert 2019-2020 Outlook

Figured I’d check in on my daily bash Rudy thread. Seems kinda quiet, I’ll be back.

• Like 1

I think people secretly love this cutie, nobody wants to actually bash him. Have you seen the Mitchell Robinson thread? Is an anti-Fizdale circlejerk which I'm glad to be a part of.

My second round pick. Well.....atleast he's rebounding.

Edited by MysticPeak

Seems Gobert is frustrated at their teammates not pass the ball to him to finish under the rim

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CViewPride35 said:

Traded this disappointment for Bam. 

I was expecting more blocks and less turnovers. 

L

3 hours ago, CViewPride35 said:

Traded this disappointment for Bam. 

I was expecting more blocks and less turnovers. 

You just lost your league.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 80version said:

L

15 minutes ago, Royloi said:

LOL this is definitely not a league losing trade. Just depends on what cats you’re looking for. Bam boosts you in assists and steals and Gobert has the edge in rebounds.. thats about it. If you’re punting ft% Bam is the #25 ranked player, while Gobert is sitting at #84 on the season. The Bam breakout is legit, maybe Gobert’s slump continues for a while longer. They could very well finish with similar value this year.

15 minutes ago, Bringthesonicsback said:

LOL this is definitely not a league losing trade. Just depends on what cats you’re looking for. Bam boosts you in assists and steals and Gobert has the edge in rebounds.. thats about it. If you’re punting ft% Bam is the #25 ranked player, while Gobert is sitting at #84 on the season. The Bam breakout is legit, maybe Gobert’s slump continues for a while longer. They could very well finish with similar value this year.

This is a weak basis for comparison.  In 2018-19 Gobert was #6 overall if punting FT%, and in 2017-18 he was #14 overall if punting FT%.  

I am high on Bam as well so there is nothing against him, but in terms of overall value this guy just gave up a 2nd rounder for someone who projects as a 4th rounder, straight up, two weeks into the season as if Gobert in his prime suddenly forgot how to play over the summer.  

Edited by 80version

11 minutes ago, 80version said:

This is a weak basis for comparison.  In 2018-19 Gobert was #6 overall if punting FT%, and in 2017-18 he was #14 overall if punting FT%.  

I am high on Bam as well so there is nothing against him, but in terms of overall value this guy just gave up a 2nd rounder for someone who projects as a 4th rounder, straight up, two weeks into the season as if Gobert in his prime suddenly forgot how to play over the summer.  

That was just to show why someone would pull the trigger. I think Gobert is easily the better player and has a proven track record but having a down season and finishing at around the #25 spot isn’t unthinkable, while Bam could finish at around that spot as well.

A league losing trade would be Bam for Harden or KAT, where the difference in value is massive. I don’t think that will be the case with Bam and Gobert by the end of the season 

7 minutes ago, Bringthesonicsback said:

That was just to show why someone would pull the trigger. I think Gobert is easily the better player and has a proven track record but having a down season and finishing at around the #25 spot isn’t unthinkable, while Bam could finish at around that spot as well.

A league losing trade would be Bam for Harden or KAT, where the difference in value is massive. I don’t think that will be the case with Bam and Gobert by the end of the season 

What you're saying is completely moot. Bam for Harden is nonsensical and rejected in every league that matters. Why even imagine it? 

A league losing trade has to be viable enough to not be rejected, and stupid enough (two weeks in, a proven second rounder for an unproven, hot potential 3rd rounder) to cost you enough value.

Gobert is going to bounce back, he's got a new point guard pulling the strings of the offense. Patience is so underrated in fantasy it's ridiculous.

On 11/4/2019 at 11:53 AM, Bringthesonicsback said:

no. you lost your league as stated.

34 minutes ago, botcha said:

Anybody watches Jazz games regularly? How's the chemistry between him and Conley?

I talked a bit about this in the Conley thread but going from Marc Gasol to Rudy has been a drastic change for him. I remember a quote from practice earlier saying he threw more lobs in that practice than he did in his career with Memphis...He often times is giving Rudy the ball in areas where it either results in a turnover or a forced shot. It hasnt been pretty, but you figure it'll get better with time.

Edited by DM45

2 minutes ago, DM45 said:

I talked a bit about this in the Conley thread but going from Marc Gasol to Rudy has been a drastic change for him. I remember a quote from practice earlier saying he threw more lobs in that practice than he did ever before in hisbl career with Memphis...He often times is giving Rudy the ball in areas where it either results in a turnover or a forced shot. It hasnt been pretty, but you figure it'll get better with time.

Both of them are getting frustrated for sure, as the stats show. But with his defense, Gobert still retains value even in this situation. And yeah I agree that they'll make it work, as Conley is an intelligent player. I just hope that it happens asap. Thanks!

On 11/5/2019 at 1:30 AM, Royloi said:

nah.... I'm good.  I am strong in rebounds and i could take a little hit there.  And you can't always base past performances for  the present.  I've watched almost all of his games this year and he seems like he is trying, desperately, to be more involved in the offense, which has resulted in poor shot choices and turnovers.  Didn't draft him for his points.   Sometimes, you gotta take a chance and I strongly believe Bam will have a better overall season.

"When you have a guy that's 7'2" who can catch the ball and finish under the rim, you have to use it. We haven't done it the last two years against the Rockets and we're not doing it right now, so I'm hoping we can work on it..." - Gobert

squeaky wheel about to get that grease

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CViewPride35 said:

nah.... I'm good.  I am strong in rebounds and i could take a little hit there.  And you can't always base past performances for  the present.  I've watched almost all of his games this year and he seems like he is trying, desperately, to be more involved in the offense, which has resulted in poor shot choices and turnovers.  Didn't draft him for his points.   Sometimes, you gotta take a chance and I strongly believe Bam will have a better overall season.

Overall value aside, there is an argument to be made that the extra FG% and blocks are more scarce, hence more valuable than the out of position assists/steals. 

Nobody in the fantasy community wields a crystal ball so nobody can say with any degree of certainty who will be the better value at season's end, but all logic, circumstance and projections point to Gobert being the better player this season.  You can go with your gut (belief) but personally, I think trading Gobert for Bam would be a big mistake.  

Bruh, 1 field goal attempt through 3 quarters ?? I thought he was supposed to be getting more looks not less. 

Someone reassure me that this is a Kobe-esque protest game. Otherwise , Rudy is on his way to being the biggest non injury related bust of the draft.

Edited by justaguy