Crazycanto

Richaun Holmes 2019-2020 Outlook

Holmes is without a doubt the much better player right now, if your definition of a better player is one that helps the team win. He leads the team in win shares (https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAC/) and his good play also passes the eye test; I have watched all but 3 or 4 Kings games this season. His energy/effort/defensive plays are keeping the team afloat through injuries.  He is also a much more efficient offensive player, albeit on lower usage since he mostly shoots putback dunks, rim runs, and his little shot-put in the lane. Bagley has shown he will take any shot he can get, which leads to more difficult attempts. This is not to say Bagley can't be great in the future.  Right now Bags is completely lost defensively and has a one track mind on offense: score by going to his left hand.

Walton is going to have a difficult decision on his hands; does he stay with Holmes and Bjelica, with Bagley off the bench (the best and most potent option), or does he succumb to the pressure and give his entitled young "star" (not a star yet) all the minutes, possibly at the expense of Ws?  We all know the Kings are hell bent on making playoffs for the first time in 14 years. Long story short, it's tough to predict Holmes production but I could see it staying the same at best, or being about 75-80% of current at worst.  He wont lose time to Dedmon.

Edited by jay14bay
  • Like 2

Bagley isn't exactly an iron man.  There's a decent chance he's not done missing games.  Question you have to ask yourself: is there anybody on the waiver better ROS than ~80 value in your league?  If you're in a 12 teamer or more probably not.  Holmes is a steady hold for most.

People need to stop freaking out. 10 7 2 1 (bascically his averages) in 25 minutes because he was limited by foul trouble....This dude will be top 60 ROS I'm positive. He'll run more with the bench and fit in different rotations.. the point is he's a hustle guy, high intensity. All the things of value that he does he will still do .. blocking and stealing, shooting near 70% from the field lol low turner.

7 hours ago, blabety said:

So you defend Nunn and trash people for dropping him, then go here and trash Holmes? Is someone in your league closely watching this thread or are you just a hater. IMO Holmes will be a hold longer than Nunn will be.

Nunn doesn't have a #2 draft pick they took ahead of Doncic which the team considers the face of the franchise coming for his minutes. Dragic is old and done, Winslow super injury prone. Whole Heat organization is all in on Nunn. Face facts, Holmes is in trouble.

19 minutes ago, MilesBridgesBetterThanZion said:

Nunn doesn't have a #2 draft pick they took ahead of Doncic which the team considers the face of the franchise coming for his minutes. Dragic is old and done, Winslow super injury prone. Whole Heat organization is all in on Nunn. Face facts, Holmes is in trouble.

He could be.  But tonight he remains the starter.

There is no doubt that Holmes is an underrated player.  However, it is interesting that people, based on emotion, believe he is a better player right now given that Bagley has only played in two games all season.  Can't they both be good players and co-exist?  Does it have to be this or that, either or?

Coming from one of Holmes biggest fans since his Bowling Green days, his value will for sure take a hit. How big will depend on his minutes of course. Usage and everything will remain the same, so as long as he gets close to 25 minutes a game he should be decent value. It's unfortunate Bagley isn't capable of shooting the 3 consistently because if that's the case, Holmes' minutes would remain in the low 30's.

I will say though that I play in a points league where minutes played is not as big a factor as traditional leagues. Each position only is allotted a certain amount of minutes each game. Ex. 96 guard, 96 forward, 48 center. So as long as he provides good points per minute, I'm not too worried

I can't wait till the kings start losing. POS luke walton used this guy playing him 35+ minutes multiple times and once bagley came back you just shut cut him out. Holmes is the reason why this team has been winning.,. after destroying this bum a** knicks team they're going to go on a losing streak if they cut holmes out completely. Watch.

3 minutes ago, stickman786 said:

I can't wait till the kings start losing. POS luke walton used this guy playing him 35+ minutes multiple times and once bagley came back you just shut cut him out. Holmes is the reason why this team has been winning.,. after destroying this bum a** knicks team they're going to go on a losing streak if they cut holmes out completely. Watch.

I get owning Holmes, but Bagley is the future. Holmes has been bounced around the league. He couldn't even cut it in those Trust The Process Sixers squads. It's been a nice story, but...

Edited by Trench Mob

4 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

I get owning Holmes, but Bagley is the future. Holmes has been bounced around the league. He couldn't even cut it in those Trust The Process Sixers squads. It's been a nice story, but...

No ones saying bagleys not the future. The fact that he cut him out completely for bagley is my issue. Richuan Holmes is literally like a montrez harrell with less offensive ability but more defensive ability. He should be getting 30 minutes and he should be getting roll touches.

Edited by stickman786
  • Like 2

They will lose games with Bags at the 5. Lets see how much Walton wants to keep his job

2 minutes ago, simon said:

Drop holmes, add chriss 😆

Ben McLemore is on my wire and, although obviously not a replacement for Holmes' big man stats, looks like a real spicy add at the moment...

Edited by alclayno

Another thing is they don't reward richuan for good defensive plays. He played 18 minutes but they chuck chuck chuck chuck. I don't know how many times they just passed him up when he has a mismatch with a little guy or rolls on the pick for a dumb shot.

49 minutes ago, stickman786 said:

No ones saying bagleys not the future. The fact that he cut him out completely for bagley is my issue. Richuan Holmes is literally like a montrez harrell with less offensive ability but more defensive ability. He should be getting 30 minutes and he should be getting roll touches.

It's not only luke, upper management also has a say.