hornrimmed_rambis

Frank Ntilikina 2019-2020 Outlook

Man, the Rotoworld guys really love him, as they keep insisting on a hold.  In fact, their latest blurb that mentions him as a Top 40 player is actually true; in the last week, he's considered a Top 50 player on BM.  Then again, it's only based on a 3-game stretch where he averaged 4 boards, 5 assists, and 5 stocks per game (and we know how hot a pickup Thybulle got even while trashing efficiency cats).  

The Knicks won against the Mavs without him (basically using DSJ to whomp on them with Franky in foul trouble), and I wonder if Payton's eventual return shortens his leash even more. I'll happily let someone else deal with him.

40 minutes ago, MWon said:

Man, the Rotoworld guys really love him, as they keep insisting on a hold.  In fact, their latest blurb that mentions him as a Top 40 player is actually true; in the last week, he's considered a Top 50 player on BM.  Then again, it's only based on a 3-game stretch where he averaged 4 boards, 5 assists, and 5 stocks per game (and we know how hot a pickup Thybulle got even while trashing efficiency cats).  

The Knicks won against the Mavs without him (basically using DSJ to whomp on them with Franky in foul trouble), and I wonder if Payton's eventual return shortens his leash even more. I'll happily let someone else deal with him.

eh, can't hold a guy who I literally have 0 idea how the night will go. He could play from 30 to DNP. When fitzdale bounces, I'll reconsider him or if Payton and DSJ get injured again

I dropped him for Dunn. At least I know Dunn will give me some stls in just 20-25mins of playing time. 

8 hours ago, MWon said:

This has nothing to do with Frank specifically, and I neither agree nor disagree with yours or any takes on him at the moment, but jesus christ people need stop listening to whatever the roto writers say like gospel. Do they spend more time than most of us doing this? Yes. Are they any smarter than you or me? Hell no. Are they wrong just as much as any one of us who even spends 20 miinutes a day looking at box scores, thinkign about rotations, and coming up with plans for ourselves? Hell yes. If people want to win their leagues, they need to put a little effort and thought in and not just do whatever some so called expert says to do

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vyun said:

This has nothing to do with Frank specifically, and I neither agree nor disagree with yours or any takes on him at the moment, but jesus christ people need stop listening to whatever the roto writers say like gospel. Do they spend more time than most of us doing this? Yes. Are they any smarter than you or me? Hell no. Are they wrong just as much as any one of us who even spends 20 miinutes a day looking at box scores, thinkign about rotations, and coming up with plans for ourselves? Hell yes. If people want to win their leagues, they need to put a little effort and thought in and not just do whatever some so called expert says to do

True, and with guys like Frank they will usually be something like "mediocre line tonight but the ....breakout could happen at any time solid hold" and you're like what?  Solid hold dude is barely producing top 150 value and it's his 3rd year in the league...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MWon said:

Rotoworld writers are subject to the same cognitive biases as the rest of us. 

I just get injury updates from fantasylabs and figure the rest of it out for myself.

• Like 1

Just now, Eltoro said:

Rotoworld writers are subject to the same cognitive biases as the rest of us. 

I just get injury updates from fantasylabs and figure the rest of it out for myself.

A wise move.  I definitely agree; I'm just putting it out there, haha.  It's just funny to watch them try and spin players around with facts (while true) that are twisted to suit their biases and views.  It's paralleled by many ESPN sportscasters too (it seems like every day, someone breaks some sort of random, convoluted basketball record), so it's not exclusive to rotoworld.

Take their views at face value, just like you would with any of the opinions of posters here, myself included.  It's just helpful to hear what everyone's thinking, even (especially) if it's contrary to your own mentality.

• Like 2

He’s continued to play well and produce in steals and assists when he’s not in foul trouble. My concern is with Fizdale in general and once Elfrid returns from injury and he inevitably divides the minutes up further between all three PGs.

5 hours ago, 4th and 9ers said:

He’s continued to play well and produce in steals and assists when he’s not in foul trouble. My concern is with Fizdale in general and once Elfrid returns from injury and he inevitably divides the minutes up further between all three PGs.

I dropped for batum.  Steals are nice, but he is terrible everywhere else.  Doesn't even run an offense, brings up the ball and finds a corner.

I’ve decided to move on as well.  DSJ was in foul trouble or else there would have been a split in minutes.  Payton will eventually take a share as well.  The 35mpg Frank you’re seeing now will be gone very shortly, and if he’s only averaging something like 7-3-5with 2 steals in big minutes, imagine what that’ll be like when he’s down in the low 20’s

• Like 1

I think Elfrid Payton gets 28 minutes and Frank gets the rest and this either benches DSJ or moves him to SG "because Fizdale experiment". Payton's the more well-rounded out of the three guys. Trier benched, out of the rotation. DSJ position battle with Dotson.

I think it's what you see what you get with Frank for now, Fiz doesn't put him in a position to score. He seems comfortable shooting mid-range pullups off the dribble, but it's just not going in. So what do you make of that? Just a plain out terrible shooter? Guy needs to shoot more.

Edited by MysticPeak

I'm keeping Frank.  I think unless Fiz is fired he'll be traded to a team that will start him.  Frank can play, but Fizdale's "system" neuters all point guards in favor of inefficient,  ball chucking bigs.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gorgeous George said:

I'm keeping Frank.  I think unless Fiz is fired he'll be traded to a team that will start him.  Frank can play, but Fizdale's "system" neuters all point guards in favor of inefficient,  ball chucking bigs.

I agree w/ this. Fantasy basketball creates bias against players like Nkilikina. He's a solid player, above average defender. He's been one of the biggest net positives for the Knicks. The stats aren't there, but the impact is there. 

The more he plays and gets accustomed to starting w/o having to worry about getting pulled, the more I think he settles along w/ the stats. 

Edited by tremixt

6/6 and 3 steals is a giant. He is #72 ranked in the last two weeks, averaging elite 2.1 steals. He also is managing to get an out of position 1 block per game.

We should be praying nothing changes, not hoping for upside from here.

• Like 1

He's definitely what Mike D'Antoni wouldn't want his guards feeling coming into the game. Before the game, he told Kendall Marshall to not care about committing turnovers or be in a shooting slump, just play you and be you -- Kendall Marshall ended up having a career night that game. Fiz keeps a short leash on young guns and it always ends up hurting their growth.

How in the hellllll can you be in the NBA and play 30+ minutes, only score 4-6 points, not get to the line enough, and have low percentages to sprinkle on top. 😷

19 minutes ago, memo said:

How in the hellllll can you be in the NBA and play 30+ minutes, only score 4-6 points, not get to the line enough, and have low percentages to sprinkle on top. 😷

40% Frank's fault, 60% Fizdale's.

Go stand in the corner, Frank. Let's develop our vets. In fact, I've come up with a new system, and in that new system, you'll be called the corner guard.

Edited by MysticPeak
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MysticPeak said:

40% Frank's fault, 60% Fizdale's.

Go stand in the corner, Frank. Let's develop our vets. In fact, I've come up with a new system, and in that new system, you'll be called the corner guard.

Coach is under pressure to win games.  He can't do that relying on this offensively inept PG.  You do that with veterans.  So if the Knicks would give him time to develop young talent without holding his job as a carrot, maybe he could do that.

• Like 1

I'm just telling all of you, there is so much untapped potential in this kid. You can teach and groom a player to show adequate offense....much harder to teach and groom defense. Once Frank is either out of NY or Fiz is fired, I think we will see that potential start to be realized. 

how many coaches has he played for? It's not just Fizdale. 

there is a family I know who keeps blaming the school for their kid's poor grades. He has gone through multiple teachers and a new school- same results and same excuses. At some point you have to start realizing the kid himself is part of the problem. 

If Frank had the right type of personality, maybe he could develop into a Pat Beverley type of player. That's his upside. But he doesn't play with that chip or that fire. 

Payton is the Knicks best PG prospect and should get all the minutes he can handle. As a Knicks fan, I really hope they can get a draft pick for Frank.

4 minutes ago, rotojoe said:

how many coaches has he played for? It's not just Fizdale. 

there is a family I know who keeps blaming the school for their kid's poor grades. He has gone through multiple teachers and a new school- same results and same excuses. At some point you have to start realizing the kid himself is part of the problem. 

If Frank had the right type of personality, maybe he could develop into a Pat Beverley type of player. That's his upside. But he doesn't play with that chip or that fire. 

Payton is the Knicks best PG prospect and should get all the minutes he can handle. As a Knicks fan, I really hope they can get a draft pick for Frank.

2 coaches— Hornacek + Fizdale. Not sure who is more inept... but I think it all boils down to James Dolan’s impatience of rebuilding affecting the coaches’ decisions, which you should know as a Knicks fan.

You are a prime example of what happens to Knicks fans after so many horrible years. I’m sorry you’ve gone blind sir, but there is no way in hell 25 year old Elfrid Payton—6th year, 6th team in the NBA—has more potential than 21 year old Frankie. Elfrid had has his chances, he is what he is

Good luck on your season; maybe look into a LASIK procedure if you get the chance

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, yung_fetty said:

2 coaches— Hornacek + Fizdale. Not sure who is more inept... but I think it all boils down to James Dolan’s impatience of rebuilding affecting the coaches’ decisions, which you should know as a Knicks fan.

You are a prime example of what happens to Knicks fans after so many horrible years. I’m sorry you’ve gone blind sir, but there is no way in hell 25 year old Elfrid Payton—6th year, 6th team in the NBA—has more potential than 21 year old Frankie. Elfrid had has his chances, he is what he is

Good luck on your season; maybe look into a LASIK procedure if you get the chance

maybe Frankie needs Lasik to learn how to put the ball in the basket...

You're right Payton has had his chances- and he actually has done pretty well with them.

Just now, rotojoe said:

maybe Frankie needs Lasik to learn how to put the ball in the basket...

You're right Payton has had his chances- and he actually has done pretty well with them.

Orlando has been in search for a PG for what seems like an eternity and they let him go

very telling imo but hey Payton does fit in with the Randle Taj Portis types for the worst way to develop youth strategy 

Edited by kmoore1521