hornrimmed_rambis

Frank Ntilikina 2019-2020 Outlook

I may be the minority. But I get the sense Dolan still firmly wants to win now. Ntilikina and DSJ have just been plain terrible the entire season. Ntilikina has provided elite defense, but his offensive shortcomings are too severe. He needs more time to continue developing his offensive skills, but again, I suspect he Knicks are in win-now mode. So I think Payton will get his shot, given his conditioning and acclimation are sufficient.

Just my thoughts

Edited by hoop
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, hoop said:

I may be the minority. But I get the sense Dolan still firmly wants to win now. Ntilikina and DSJ have just been plain terrible the entire season. Ntilikina has provided elite defense, but his offensive shortcomings are too severe. He needs more time to continue developing his offensive skills, but again, I suspect he Knicks are in win-now mode. So I think Payton will get his shot, given his conditioning and acclimation are sufficient.

Just my thoughts

There is no win now with that roster. Who is the leader of that team?

10 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

I'm not saying they can win now. But my guess is that it's Dolan's intent, based on his lengthy history of decision-making and also what he's expressed to the public, e.g. in interviews

Edited by hoop

20 minutes ago, shiftysaj said:

The mins were never the problem he cannot score like that offensively he's been inefficient from the jump, he's a great defender so if you need steals and blocks he's a good streamer and could be a potential player to roster (like another kris dunn) for his defensive prowess alone. But its a trade off you get that defense with bad FG%, inefficiency & low scoring totals. Even if the new fill in coach gives him mins he'll still play the same as he did the other games, the problem with the knicks is player development. This guy has been the same player for 3 years now, Kadeem Allen has better nights than him when he plays lmaooo an undrafted dude playing better than a lotto.

Exactly

He’s been getting some run 

Only thing I can see changing is if the coach wants the ball in his hands more

1 minute ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Of course these aren't win now pieces, but they're going to play who they think are their best cards now to try to win.

• Like 1

Just now, MysticPeak said:

Of course these aren't win now pieces, but they're going to play who they think are their best cards now to try to win.

Yeah, that's my thinking as well. Obviously the roster makeup is terrible. But it's still early in the season, and we know Dolan wants to win. Could be wrong, and maybe they immediately shift priorities to player development. But I would be a mildly surprised

49 minutes ago, hoop said:

Just my thoughts

Agreed 100%. 

Frank has been given the run, he hasn’t exactly shown why he deserves to keep the job (other than development, which is not what Dolan and Mills want from this team). Elfrid has at least shown signs of playing competent defense and running an offense, and is a proven vet.

Knowing how dysfunctional the Knicks organization is you just know Mike Miller wouldn’t dare to bench vets and let the young guys play. Randle, Mook, and Payton are all the FO’s guys, and they will get run. This coaching change is more of how to get the team playing properly to win rather than going all in on development - and in order to play properly Elfrid is most likely the PG to do so.

• Like 1