bluefrogguy

Shohei Ohtani 2020 Outlook

From Fabian Ardaya on Twitter:

“Shohei Ohtani could be available to pitch at the beginning of the season, whenever that is, Joe Maddon said. One of the biggest factors: how long the regular season winds up being, so the Angels can monitor workload.”

On 12/30/2019 at 11:14 PM, murraygd13 said:

But he did only play one position last year..he hasn't pitched since 2018.

By your definition, if someone misses an entire season, then they shouldn't qualify for any positions. That doesn't make sense.

What about when Luis Severino comes back in 2021? He won't have pitched at all in 2020, so should he have SP removed from his position eligibility despite the fact that everyone knows he's an SP?

Sometimes it's important to use common sense.

I don't have Ohtani rostered at all, but he should absolutely qualify at the positions we all know he plays which are UTIL and SP.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 1:11 PM, murraygd13 said:

Would NL pitchers get credit for their hitting stats as well?  Would that make AL pitchers more valuable since you wouldn't get the horrible average.  Would it make relievers more valuable since they never get to hit.

Right. I don't think you should ever be able to collect both hitting AND pitching stats. I think you should have to declare which prior to the game. Otherwise a whole new can of worms is opened and why don't you get Kershaw's hitting stats? Or any other pitcher who hits when he pitches? Seems like that that point, things become very subjective if we are cherry picking which players get stats for both.

Just from a pitching standpoint only, is there any indication that he will actually pitch every 5th day now with the season (hopefully) shortened, or is there going to be some plan in place for him to get extra rest between starts? I think his value as a pitcher is tied to that, at least in H2H. 

3 hours ago, KCTD25 said:

Just from a pitching standpoint only, is there any indication that he will actually pitch every 5th day now with the season (hopefully) shortened, or is there going to be some plan in place for him to get extra rest between starts? I think his value as a pitcher is tied to that, at least in H2H. 

I read before he was gonna pitched every Wednesday as they have (had) a fair amount of days off Thursday and they aren't gonna use him as a hitter the day after he pitches.

So for Fantrax, once he starts 5 games he should qualify for SP?  Is that everyone's belief using that site?  I am in a weekly league, so I am happy to use him in Util when he is in the lineup opposed to pitching, but he's much more valuable if you can use him as an SP the day he is scheduled to pitch.

Ohtani 3 inns, walks 8, 6 wild pitches in 1st intrasquad outing.

Less than ideal.

On 3/19/2020 at 10:49 AM, ThreadKiller said:

Right. I don't think you should ever be able to collect both hitting AND pitching stats. I think you should have to declare which prior to the game. Otherwise a whole new can of worms is opened and why don't you get Kershaw's hitting stats? Or any other pitcher who hits when he pitches? Seems like that that point, things become very subjective if we are cherry picking which players get stats for both.

but you wouldnt want Kershaws hitting stats or 99.9% of pitchers....

I think if Otahni is going to DH full time and pitch, he should be allowed to do both with the same draft pick.  Adjust accordingly.

Frankly, my biggest concern with drafting Otahni each year is the injury risk that comes with him pitching.

20 hours ago, einstein2u said:

Ohtani 3 inns, walks 8, 6 wild pitches in 1st intrasquad outing.

Less than ideal.

For sure less than ideal. But also completely understandable. After how poorly he performed in his 1st spring training, and then how well he performed in the regular season, it would take a lot for me to become legitimately concerned. 

I had forgotten about the train wreck that was his first spring training.

Where are people valuing him in Yahoo? Now that the SP will get "Sundays" as his pitching days.... grab him as a SP or use his 4-days a week UTIL role? So annoying that we still ahve to consider this. 

for what it's worth, both variants are sitting there at pick 194 in a slow draft i'm doing and i just can't seem to get excited even this late...

5 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Will Ohtani hit on the days he pitches (ie, Sundays)?

No

The only problem is fans might not see Ohtani very often this year. In a 60-game season in which he’s expected to pitch once a week, Ohtani will only be available to hit in approximately 30 games. The Angels prefer to give him a break from full-time hitting on the days before and after he pitches.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2020-07-17/angels-slugger-shohei-ohtani-looks-to-be-rounding-into-form

• Thanks 1

I probably wouldn't want to start him as a hitter on the days he pitches anyway. Odds are he wouldn't last long--even if all goes well, I'm guessing he does't go more than 5-6 IP.

And then there's days like today...

This is why I would have avoided Shohei in any leagues this year(pitcher version). Dude hasn't pitched a competitive game in nearly 2 years...didn't even have a spring training either. This entire season is gonna be a work in progress and knocking the rust off....which means it could be ugly just like today. Angels are in a bind with this too, since they can't really afford to have him work things out in this shortened season where every game is magnified, but they also probably need him to make these starts for his development and confidence

• Like 1

With only ~30 starts at DH and what? 7 or 8 more starts, I don't see much value being there. I might look to sell if I'm an Ohtani owner.  Now right now but at some point.

2 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

heard he was the most talented mlb player according to mlb tonight crew.

This outing doesn’t change that fact, in case you weren’t aware.

• Like 6

I figure the Angels will probably let him dedicate himself to full time hitting.  Can't stand seeing him on the bench so often.  I overpaid for him in my auction league.

pitcherlist still has him at #46 as of today. That means they're holding. Dang! you guys agree?

3 hours ago, pbjfb said:

pitcherlist still has him at #46 as of today. That means they're holding. Dang! you guys agree?

No can do 

Posted (edited)

He hasn’t got full confidence in his arm post surgery. Lower velocity a problem but we could see it click after a couple starts.

Just need him to get the bat going in the meantime. 

Edited by ryno1980