bluefrogguy

Shohei Ohtani 2020 Outlook

On 7/28/2020 at 12:37 AM, ryno1980 said:

He hasn’t got full confidence in his arm post surgery. Lower velocity a problem but we could see it click after a couple starts.

Just need him to get the bat going in the meantime. 

The problem I have is he is only available as a hitter Tuesday-Friday. Doesn't hit the day before, the day of and the day after pitching. He better hit the crap out of the ball on those 4 days or I need a fulltime guy

11 minutes ago, Crusaderfan said:

The problem I have is he is only available as a hitter Tuesday-Friday. Doesn't hit the day before, the day of and the day after pitching. He better hit the crap out of the ball on those 4 days or I need a fulltime guy

I just look at it as a per-game production with the bat is up there with not elite but dang good hitters. You know what the off days are and can plan accordingly. 

1 minute ago, ryno1980 said:

I just look at it as a per-game production with the bat is up there with not elite but dang good hitters. You know what the off days are and can plan accordingly. 

Ohtani's value as it's always been is so dependent on league settings and how to treat his dual elgibility.  If you are in a daily league where you can use him at P and DH and adjust your lineup daily to reflect that..he's probably a top 5 or 10 player.  This assumes he returns to form on the mound.

Weekly lineup leagues where you have to decide to start him either as a pitcher or hitter each week..he's not even top 100 probably.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Ohtani's value as it's always been is so dependent on league settings and how to treat his dual elgibility.  If you are in a daily league where you can use him at P and DH and adjust your lineup daily to reflect that..he's probably a top 5 or 10 player.  This assumes he returns to form on the mound.

Weekly lineup leagues where you have to decide to start him either as a pitcher or hitter each week..he's not even top 100 probably.

He’s un-rosterable in weekly leagues. He’s a Sunday pitcher where normally you’d like to have two-start pitchers. As a hitter he misses multiple games a week. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Travdaddy10 said:

He’s un-rosterable in weekly leagues. He’s a Sunday pitcher where normally you’d like to have two-start pitchers. As a hitter he misses multiple games a week. 

My league with weekly lineup is an 11 team AL-only league...he has some use there..

In a standard 162 game season he will have about 25 starts as a pitcher.

Edited by murraygd13

4 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Walked 5 batters in the 2nd inning and got pulled.  On the plus side, he didn’t give up any hits!  

No hitter!  Stud!

• Haha 4

Shoudn't pitch this season.  He needs a full ST for pitching. In a condensed season where he's only going to get 8 more starts wins mean too much. 

2 hours ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Shoudn't pitch this season.  He needs a full ST for pitching. In a condensed season where he's only going to get 8 more starts wins mean too much. 

The thing is this team isn’t ready to contend anyway, might as well work the rust off now. 

Posted (edited)

Looks mental, fastball was between 94 and 97 and he used the splitter more often. But then fastball was at 89-90 vs the last batter he faced. Hopefully just being precautionary with the MRI. 

Edited by ryno1980

Would another arm injury convince him or the team he shouldn’t pitch anymore?

5 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

One would think right? Would be very depressing - it was so cool seeing a player so talented do both. 

31 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

I don't think it would convince him.  If it doesn't convince Angels management then they have bigger problems.  

6 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

So his pitching season is over. 

The report is that he can't start a throwing program for another 4-6 weeks. We only have 8 or so weeks left in the season. Probably won't see him pitching until the end of the year if at all.

I think it is gnarly as hell though that a player is able to shut down on one side of the ball for 4-6 weeks but still be able to hit. This guy is such a unique baseball player.

Could be better for the Yahoo! league hitter Ohtani owners if his batting is 100% unaffected as he can get more at-bats ROS not having to have games off when he pitches or before/after.

48 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

It doesnt affect his hitting at all?

I have zero doubt that the current affects his hitting. They’re not going to play him six days a week at DH. Not only that but Tommy John alone could have sapped a little bit of his power. 

Life would be much simpler if they retire his pitching aspirations and concentrate 100% on hitting. He'd be an annual 900 OPS, 30 HR, 15 SB, 100 RBI, 80 Runs DH.

• Like 1

People keep talking about how much of a freakish athlete he is. I am sure there have been thousands of freakish athletes going all the ways back to high school. If he is not available to play then who cares.