bluefrogguy

Shohei Ohtani 2020 Outlook

9 minutes ago, canilogon said:

People keep talking about how much of a freakish athlete he is. I am sure there have been thousands of freakish athletes going all the ways back to high school. If he is not available to play then who cares.

Absolutely - thousands of guys who were freakish enough to be the first legit two-way player since Babe Ruth.  All that hype was not warranted at all. Can you point me to the next one in this assembly line you speak of? I would like to add them to my dynasty roster. 

Thanks!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

Life would be much simpler if they retire his pitching aspirations and concentrate 100% on hitting. He'd be an annual 900 OPS, 30 HR, 15 SB, 100 RBI, 80 Runs DH.

If he dedicated himself full time to hitting he could probably also move to a position. With his arm/general athleticism he has the potential to be the total package: good defense, good baserunner, good hitter would all equal to a ton of value. 

My guess is he'd probably try RF.

Edited by EmbargoLifted

3 hours ago, hgh22 said:

Absolutely - thousands of guys who were freakish enough to be the first legit two-way player since Babe Ruth.  All that hype was not warranted at all. Can you point me to the next one in this assembly line you speak of? I would like to add them to my dynasty roster. 

Thanks!

there would be plenty of two way players if players in america had the opportunity to continue down that road. the majority of mlb position players where hs pitchers and immpretty sure some closed in ncaa. plenty mlb position players would be able to sit mid 90's and be able to pitch. if they where able to try and be two way players. problem is its really not an option and its probably the correct call. especially with the way players are babied and the inj rate of sp.

Posted (edited)

How confident are we that Ohtani will continue to play everyday (DH) and produce enough to be ownable in deeper 10 team leagues [...] ? The ball just sounds soooooo good when it comes off his bat. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Assistant Coach content. If your question requires individual league context to answer, then it belongs in BC.

You mean because of the injury? he’s batting this or fourth every day after taking a few days to rest. The injury has boosted his value as a hitter. There’s no question he is the everyday DH.

Posted (edited)

Ohtani is a legit .280/.350/.525 hitter with the added bonus of hitting behind or in front of Trout every game. 

Edited by EmbargoLifted

2 hours ago, papasmurf said:

Any news on if his elbow is affecting his hitting? Dude's an Ofer machine.

He's 2 for his last 19. A lot of that was against a good dodgers pitching staff and defense though...probably just tough pitching combined with a bit of a slump.

On 8/18/2020 at 7:27 PM, papasmurf said:

Any news on if his elbow is affecting his hitting? Dude's an Ofer machine.

I'm wondering that too. His peripherals look pretty similar to last year and the only thing that sticks out is that he's doubled weak contact from last year and his hard hit % is down nearly 10% from 2018. His exit velocity is also down and he's not making as much contact with pitches.  All of which maybe suggests that he's simply not getting as much out of his swing than he has before, and that for sure makes me wonder if his elbow is hampering him in some way. 

He cannot be 100%. This has gone on for too long now. He's too good a hitter to be hitting under 0.200 if he's healthy.

• Like 1

Is Ohtani still worth hanging onto as a pitcher or does it seem like hitting will be his only contribution moving forward?  Was really hoping for big things from him this season and he promptly got hurt again.  Just makes me wonder if he's possibly not cut out for pitching at the MLB level.

I believe the Angels are going to have to make a choice here in the offseason in regards to whether they continue to move forward trying to utilize Shohei as both a hitter and a pitcher.

Living near Anaheim, I can tell you that it's been an absolute disaster..

I feel like the Angels are going to have to make a choice. Utilize him as a hitter....or utilize him as a pitcher...not both.

1 hour ago, CORTEz said:

I believe the Angels are going to have to make a choice here in the offseason in regards to whether they continue to move forward trying to utilize Shohei as both a hitter and a pitcher.

Living near Anaheim, I can tell you that it's been an absolute disaster..

I feel like the Angels are going to have to make a choice. Utilize him as a hitter....or utilize him as a pitcher...not both.

I don’t think it’s up to the Angels. Ohtani wants to play both ways and signed with Anaheim because they would let him 

As an Angel fan, I will tell you that they will continue to use him as both because that’s why he signed with this team.  In my opinion he’s not washed up as a pitcher. He is coming off TJ surgery and didn’t have a normal offseason. He just needs to get back into a regular routine which is what he had in Japan. The velocity was there but the arm strength and control just wasn’t and that shouldn’t be a huge shock. I will also say that having no fans there probably played with him mentally.  He had commented on how weird it was and I believe he’s a guy who thrives off that energy.  We are talking about a kid who only knows huge crowds cheering him on and tons of Japanese media following him around like he’s a superstar.  To not have that extra adrenaline and the roar of the crowd, all he had was the thoughts in his head and the sudden lack of control that probably snowballed due to him overthinking.  

• Like 1